• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flight from Santiago to London - check-in arrival times?

Louise Campbell

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Sarria to Santiago October this year
Hi
We are traveling from Santiago to London via RyanAir and have seen on the Santiago site that non Schengen places (London) need to check-in 2 hours prior to flight but on the RyanAir site, nothing is mentioned. Also on the Santiago site they say that if your paperwork doesn't display check-in arrival times, then 45 minutes prior is ok.
This is the confusion. One says one thing etc.
As we are Australian, this trip to the Camino is important to us and as we fly out of Santiago to London on the Sunday, we hope to attend the Pilgrim Mass prior which is at it's time scheduled but these check-in times for our flight means we will miss out.
Has anyone travelled from Santiago to London and not had issues with a shorter check-in time?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello @Louise Campbell and welcome to the forum. I can't help with an answer but hope someone else can. I've not travelled by Ryanair but am aware there are sometimes difficulties.

How much leeway do you have with time in Santiago? By which I mean that if possible you could go to the Pilgrim mass the day before. Where are you starting your walk and how many days have you allowed? I'd want to spend a couple of days in Santiago after walking the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
We are traveling from Santiago to London via RyanAir and have seen on the Santiago site that non Schengen places (London) need to check-in 2 hours prior to flight but on the RyanAir site, nothing is mentioned. Also on the Santiago site they say that if your paperwork doesn't display check-in arrival times, then 45 minutes prior is ok.
As we are Australian, this trip to the Camino is important to us and as we fly out of Santiago to London on the Sunday, we hope to attend the Pilgrim Mass prior which is at it's time scheduled but these check-in times for our flight means we will miss out.
Has anyone travelled from Santiago to London and not had issues with a shorter check-in time?
h

hi I travelled from Santiago to London stanstead this year after my camino I went to the 10 30 mass in Santiago on the Tuesday then when mass had finished I caught the bus out to the airport in order to catch the 13 20 flight for London I had loads of time in fact the ryan air desk was not even open when I got to the airport I had plenty of time to have a coffee and something to eat just a little piece of advice don't forget to go to Ryanair costumer service desk before you book in and they will stamp your boarding pass you have to have this stamp as you are not in the European union ( you did say you were from Australia ) you don't want to get to your gate and then be sent all the way back
good luck and have yourselves a great camino
joseph

Hi

Its a mugs game. Sometimes you get to the airport and manage to get through all the bits in about ten minutes. Other times its total confusion and you barely make it through all the lineups in 3 hours.

If Santiago airport recommends two hours then you won't get a better recommendation here. All you will get here is the tales from people who made it by the skin on their ... teeth.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Kanga, thankyou for the welcome. We believe we should get into Santiago around 5pm on the Saturday evening, so we can make the Saturday night Mass at 7pm but it was the special Pilgrim Mass which we hope to attend. We arrive in Madrid then train to Sarria to begin a 5 or 6 day walk. We would have loved to spend more time but with our 15 year old with us, thought we couldn't go all that way only to turn and head home without seeing the Eiffel Tower and Rome, so we will drive around and show him as much as we can manage in the 11 days there. I will check the replies below to assess our options with flying out of Santiago. Thanks again.
Hello @Louise Campbell and welcome to the forum. I can't help with an answer but hope someone else can. I've not travelled by Ryanair but am aware there are sometimes difficulties.

How much leeway do you have with time in Santiago? By which I mean that if possible you could go to the Pilgrim mass the day before. Where are you starting your walk and how many days have you allowed? I'd want to spend a couple of days in Santiago after walking the Camino.

Its a mugs game. Sometimes you get to the airport and manage to get through all the bits in about ten minutes. Other times its total confusion and you barely make it through all the lineups in 3 hours.

If Santiago airport recommends two hours then you won't get a better recommendation here. All you will get here is the tales from people who made it by the skin on their ... teeth.
That sounds like fair advice. We certainly can't miss the flight that's for sure. Thankyou for taking time to reply.

hi I travelled from Santiago to London stanstead this year after my camino I went to the 10 30 mass in Santiago on the Tuesday then when mass had finished I caught the bus out to the airport in order to catch the 13 20 flight for London I had loads of time in fact the ryan air desk was not even open when I got to the airport I had plenty of time to have a coffee and something to eat just a little piece of advice don't forget to go to Ryanair costumer service desk before you book in and they will stamp your boarding pass you have to have this stamp as you are not in the European union ( you did say you were from Australia ) you don't want to get to your gate and then be sent all the way back
good luck and have yourselves a great camino
joseph
Hi Joseph, thanks for this vital information which we were not aware of (stamping of boarding pass as Australians). We understand there are other Masses to attend which are called 'Pilgrim' Masses, but what was hoped for to show our son, was the 'Incensing' which only takes place at the Sunday Pilgrim Mass which would see us get to the Airport by bus around 2pm and we leave 3.30pm. I was just made aware that the Santiago site mentions 3 hours prior to boarding which is even worse. So my guess is we will forego the Pilgrim 'Incensing' Mass and go to the Sunday Mass at 10.30am. Thanks for helping us understand what it was we needed to consider.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Pilgrim mass is at noon. The giant thurible, botafumeiro, is not always swung at the Pilgrim mass. It can be swung at any mass if someone is paying for it. I have seen it three times in one day, but did not see it the first two times I ended in Santiago). The only guarantee of a swinging this summer is at the 1930 mass on Friday (and the well-publicized dates each year, including July 25 and August 15). A standard thurible is used for incense at all masses, and that may include what you have heard about an incensing mass.:)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back