• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flight has just been ordered: Everything is set to go now!

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Plane has been booked now: Will arrive in Malaga on April 16th, stay over, and take the train to Salamanca the next day: Go to the Albergue behind the cathedral in the evening, and start/continue my walking to Santiago the next morning. (I did Sevilla-Salamanca last spring, but had to abort due to family matters).

But this time I will go really slow: On my first camino, the Frances, in 2009, I was sometimes "running": Eager to reach the goal of Santiago, not appreciating enough that the way could be the goal in itself... But it was a beautiful walk: A memory and a learning experience for the rest of my life!!!

Last spring (2011, April/May) on the Plata, I was more aware, but still tended to run... This year, I have the deep intention of walking in deep peace and spiritual ease: Especially since there is no need to run: I will order my return trip whenever I reach Santiago! I really look so much forward to this spring's walk!

Ohh, As a sidebar: Today I got the DVD movie "The Way" from Amazon: Only 4.58 GBP + freight 1.98 GBP: Total of 6.56 GBP or ca. 9 USD, delivered in my mailbox: Yeayhh!

Just watched it, and while it was for me, as a peregrino, a great experience, I don't think it will attract a large, unknowing audience: You need to know a bit about the Camino, IMHO...!

Oohh: BTW: Which camino guide should I use??? And where to buy ut: I am sorry to say that my CSJ guide from last year was far from accurate, and I anyway gave it away to my Canadian Camino friend Heinz, who completed the la Plata after I left: Got a CD with photos from him: Thanks, Heinz! And thanks to fellow peregrino Andreas Seidel, who did the same! Much apprecated!

Edit: I am so happy about the thought that in a little more than 2 months time, I will return to walk again on the Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Alex.
I'm starting from Seville a few days before you on the 14th, so maybe we will meet along the way? As to the problem with English language guides I've sort of made my own, a combination of downloaded maps from the "walking pilgrims" site and albergue photos/details from the Eroski Camino site, all cut to fit in the CSJ '11 guide. Just hope it works.
Re the fiim the way, could have done with a little less of Mr Nesbit overacting and a little more of the "warts and all" of camino life.
Regards

George

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Go well and safely. And slowly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Alex,

For the Via de la Plata and Camino Frances I've used http://www.caminoguide.net which gives you an up to date written guide that can be printed on A4 paper (lightweight and disposable) or downloaded to a smartphone. The guy that writes it welcomes information from pilgrims who have recently walked a Camino so it is probably one of the most current guides out there. This might be what you're looking for.

I'll be walking The VdlP again, from Sevilla, for 10 days starting 1st April.

I hope your Camino is rewarding.

Andrew.

Hi Alex,

I am quite excited for you and hope that you will indeed be able to take it slow as you say. Last summer I did Sevilla-Zamora and like you had to abort but in my case due to major physical issues which led to surgery and rehab. At this point I do not even know when I will be able to walk a Camino again (did the Francés from SJPdP to Finisterre in 2010) which is eating me up!

I used a Spanish/English guide for the VdlP and Sanabrés printed by the Amigos de la Via de la Plata but gave to my Italian walking buddy who continued on. As you know the English guides are out-dated. I found the Godalesco print-outs quite helpful, also wrote down tips from the Eroski site.

Look forward to hearing about your Camino from where I left off! Who knows maybe I'll bike the rest of the way.

Buen Camino y vaya con Díos!
LT
p.s. weren't you the guy who had really bad blood blisters? I remember someone in one telling the such.

My friend and I are leaving from Seville on Apr 15th, nice to hear about others doing the same route about the same time. Seriously getting into training now in hopes that we won't have any serious problems with knees or feet. I have a bit of a problem knee and my friend is having problems with her foot. My physio has me doing exercises to strenthen my leg muscles and "stripping a tight IT band" which is helping. I guess the answer to problems on the road with the body is to slow down.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think that you are right on about taking it easy epeggyh (I am a physio but am not so good at following my own advice!) especially during the first few stages. The only problem with the first week or so of the Via de la Plata is that there are no villages in between the stages. One advantage is that you will be starting in April with cooler weather - not in the middle of the summer as I did!

You will really enjoy the Via de la Plata - I did not received a 'buen camino' from all the passers-by as I did on the Camino Francés but always found the locals very warm and helpful when I did strike up a conversation. Having Spanish knowledge was really helpful!

Buen camino and let us know about your adventure!

Cheers,
LT

Hi.

If you have an iPhone or iTouch, my app is very current -- I wrote it based on walks along the VDLP in November 2010, March 2011 and Sept./Oct. 2011. (I'm a writer by profession.) The most helpful part, I think, is a whole section on any tricky spots where the signage is missing or confusing.

Buen Camino!

Melanie

LTFit,

I am probably the guy with the "blood feet" that you mention: The stretches between my toes on my right foot simply cracked open, without warning!!! Had to stop for 4 days in Merida, getting perfect and friendly Spanish hospital treatment: What a great place to be stranded! Enjoyed the historic quarters of the city: Veeery impressible! Was to the hospital and stayed in Merida for 4 days, then went on until I, due to family matters, had to return to Norway. Which I am happy for today: Now I'm going back to complete the walk!!!

That set aside: I genuinely hope that your feet will pull themselves together so you can enjoy the Camino once more again!!!

May I be allowed to say that I am ever so happy for being able to plan yet another camino, and not least: Come back to this never-ending helpful and caring forum! Blessings to all of you good people!

mmm042:

Thank you for your offer: But I don't dispose of any of the two technological units you mentioned: For more than 35 years I have held an Engineering Degree in Computer Science, and worked like h.ll in the field: Today I hate it, and I'd rather walk without anything wired, including myself :lol:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Although this is an English speaking forum, I recommend a German guide. Since you are Norwegian too, may bee you understand some German: Outdoor. Conrad Stein Verlag. Via de la Plata Mozarabischer Jacobsweg. This Verlag has good guides. I will use this one this spring.

Alle gode ønsker for vandringen!

Bjørg

Bjørg,
Thank you very much! I have a good command of the German languae, and will absolutely check it out.

Last year, down south in Extremadura, there was a day of great difficulty, and we were 3-4 pilgrims completely unable to find our way. Then came along a German couple with a German guidebook: 10 minutes, and we were out of trouble and on the track again! :lol:

Thanks again, Bjørg: Will be seriously considered!

PS: You have a good memony, Bjørg, remembering that I am a Norwegian... :lol: Must put it back into my profile, straight away...!

I must confess, though, that this year, I am very happy to start in Salamanca, a beautiful town, knowing that all of Extremadura land is behind. It really lived up to its name for sure: Extrema Dura: Extremely hard. Boy that was some tough walks... For me, it feels like more normal walks from Salamanca and up to Santiago. When there, I have to plan my return trip: I have actually not done anything for planning my return trip: I plan to do it when I come to Santiago, in order to retain complete freedom, timewise, while I am on the Way...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hei Alex.
As Bjørg I recommend the German Outdoor guide, a little yellow book that was more updated and detailed than the German Rotherguide I used. You can buy it on http://www.amazon.de. Glad you are ready for the rest of your camino. Guess you are doing the Sanabres from Graña de Moruela. I went to Astorga instead and took the Camino Frances from there.I have just finished my blog from last spring these days, now trying to rewrite it in English, and some days ago put a link to an picturealbum in this forum.
Wish you a buen camino!
Randi

Thanks Randi, Yes, I might just as well use the German guide: Good tip. Will be starting from Salamanca and go all through to Santiago this year. The Extremadura last year was really extreme... Glad I'm done there... And yes, I'll take to the left in Ourense: Don't want to go to Astorga and the final bit of the Frances, thank you...

But at some point, I wll do the whole Camino Frances once more, indeed; it was my first camino experience, it was good, and I enjoyed it sooo much.

Alex, sorry we didn't meet up with you last year. We left Huelva on 25th April. So glad you are returning this year and very excited for you.

I also believe the German guides are excellent. We found Laurie's streams and updates on this Forum really helpful for accomodation and recommend them, though there will some changes no doubt, and I guess you have seen her latest updates.

Buen camino alex and epeggyh .....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Alex! Have a good, rewarding camino. I'm sure you will - and don't rush it! I'm walking Salamanca to SdC starting April 29th, so am sorry our paths won't cross. For me, "the destination is the camino" not Santiago. Last year the shorter Camino Portuguese from Porto. This year VdlP, and, hopefully, next year the Camino Ingles. So many pilgrims go past me in a rush: I take it easy around 18-20 kms a day average, and get a blessing from each ancient church and wayside cross that I pass. Check out http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm Buen camino, Alex! Stephen

Thanks Alex for your good wishes! Time will tell if I will be able to conquer another Camino this summer. Sevilla to Zamora (especially ExtremaDura) was tough due to the extreme heat that I encountered in July but I found that the arid, open expanses had a beauty of its own! There were only 5 of us starting out from Sevilla on July 8 and the group split up quite soon afterwards due to the extreme conditions. I ended up walking for three weeks with the same pelegrino which I never thought possible and most nights we were alone in the albergues - that's how quiet the Via de la Plata is in the summer!

I too enjoyed Mérida and all its history. Salamanca will be a wonderful place to start, I spent an extra day there to sight-see. Zamora further on I enjoyed even more - a much smaller city but also lovely as is the aubergue. Jesús the very warm hospitalero insisted that we stay an extra day so I could recuperate and see a physio. Little did I know that I would end up back in Zamora 2 days later but this time in the hospital! So yes, I too know Spanish hospital care from the inside out!

Buen Camino again and let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
LT

To all of you: LTFit, Stephen, et all: Soo many thank you's from me: I feel right back in the good Camino spirit, very much due to your personalities shining through. And I will definitely go slow, enjoying the walk in itself, as Stephen expresses so wisely, and yet, as we all know, is the correct mindset.

LTFit: If you can walk the Extremadura in July, you will be a killer in Sahara, anytime!!! :lol:

May I also be allowed to say, that this forum, with its distinguished members, is a pleasure to visit, learn from, and share with!

I bid you all a buen camino, next time!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm glad to see more people announcing they will be walking the VdP this Spring! I leave Seville March 29th myself. In response to the entry above re: planning guides, I found this website to be quite useful: http://www.independentrip.com/camino-de-santiago/, but I guess how accurate it is will only be discovered enroute! :shock: I've downloaded Melanie's iPhone app and will use that in addition to my paper 'guide', but I am still a bit apprehensive of being ill-prepared :(

Allison

alipilgrim said:
I'm glad to see more people announcing they will be walking the VdP this Spring! I leave Seville March 29th myself. In response to the entry above re: planning guides, I found this website to be quite useful: http://www.independentrip.com/camino-de-santiago/, but I guess how accurate it is will only be discovered enroute! :
Allison

That looks like an excellent site, Allison, though not fully completed in English. I'll be looking at it closely in relation to my VdlP camino starting April 29th from Salamanca.
Stephen.

Hi Alex

Wishing you the best on the VdlP this year. I just loved it last year, and would love to do it again some time. One of the highlights was spending 2 days in Salamanca over Easter, watching the wonderful Easter parades, and catching up on a bit of rest after walking through Extremadura. Go well. Buen Camino.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Alan,

I can totally connect with your thoughts! Thank you a lot! I am so looking forward to the walk, but I have to say, in all honesty: I am happy that the Extremadura stretch is behind me! :wink: It was a tough one...

Here is my plan for the start: Going from Norway to Malaga on April 16. Arriving at about 15.00. getting to my hostel, then visit the railway station and buy a ticket for the next day, up to Salamanca. Then tapas and wine in Malaga :lol:

Next day: Train to Salamanca: Walk to the cathedral and the albergue behind it: Pulling out my half-filled credential, check in, find my bed, relax in Salamanca, and the next day: WALKING ON TO SANTIAGO! Or maybe stay a day or two in Salamanca...

You make me want to go right now and walk with you!

So, alternatively, please keep us updated on your progress/food/wine/wanderings/encounters.

Go well and safely, Alex.

... me too Lynne!

So Alex, you can see
we're all excited for you
and will be 'on ' the Vdlp,
in spirit with you.
Enjoy it. Slowly.
Carole

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Like Alex I am so excited!
Finally managed to book my train ticket from Madrid to Seville.
Went onto TGV Europe and they directed me to Rail Europe when I put in my country, Australia.
Easy then to follow the prompts in English. I couldn't pay until they emailed me back which I have now just done. $117 plus $6 to post my ticket. Now I can just get on with training and losing a bit of weight. Hallelujah!
Heather

Way to go Heather!

Guess you have your Oz credencial ready to go ?? How wonderful to have our own "Friends of the Camino"Inc ....Anyone needs details am happy to provide but they are probably already elsewhere on the Forum.
Buen camino. Carole

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Onsker deg en god pigrimtur, Alex! Might see you in Santiago, we, One lady from Canada, and one lady from Norway, are taking the route from St. Jean starting April 30..... Buen Camino!!!

Thank you all for kind words! If anyone wants to meet in SdC, just PM me your phone number :)

Yes, I hope maybe some will be inspired to go this year. I anyways look very much forward tyo start by having the Extremadura behind me! :lol:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back