• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flight home

SallyD

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to walk Camino (2017)
Hi everyone.
I am planning to walk from Leon to SdC starting on 5th September 2017.
My query is this.....When I catch my return flight to Australia, can I just take my pack on as cabin luggage (as I will have a suitcase as checked luggage) or will I have to 'bag' it in case there are bedbugs in it?
This is my first post so I hope someone can help me.
I love this forum.
Cheers
SallyD

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
will I have to 'bag' it in case there are bedbugs in it?
I have never heard of an airline requirement related to bedbugs! They will not inspect it for bugs, or ask you any questions about them. You might not be able to carry your walking sticks in your carry-on pack.

When you arrive home, you might want to 'bag' it before you enter your house and treat everything. See the famous post by SYates here.

Hi everyone.
I am planning to walk from Leon to SdC starting on 5th September 2017.
My query is this.....When I catch my return flight to Australia, can I just take my pack on as cabin luggage (as I will have a suitcase as checked luggage) or will I have to 'bag' it in case there are bedbugs in it?
This is my first post so I hope someone can help me.
I love this forum.
Cheers
SallyD
G'Day Sally and welcome to the Forum. Ah bed bugs - well if you even have the slightest suspicion that you have the little critters you MUST advise the hospitalero at the first albergue you come too. So they can help you get rid of them. Similarly if you think you might have them when you arrive in Santiago I strongly recommend you thoroughly was everything (including the backpack itself); you sleeping bag can go into a drier - at high heat to kill the bed bugs and their eggs. When you get home - leave just about everything outside - in hot sun if possible, then go through the cleaning process again.

As for carrying your backpack as carry on luggage it will depend upon how large it is. Here I will make an assumption that you are flying Emirates out of Madrid - so an an economy class passenger you have a 7kg weight limit; business and first class have better carry-on allowances however your backpack will still need to be able to fit into the overhead luggage lockers/bins.
Like C clearly the airline might not have restrictions however I strongly doubt they will be happy to carry your infected bag as cabin luggage - nor will any other fellow passenger whose carrying on bags may come in contact with your bag and also become infected.

If you do some searches you will find a fair amount of info on how to avoid the buggers and how to get rid of them. One other thing - you should spray your Camino gear - backpack/sleeping bag/liner - (inside and out) with Permythian (sic?) - I think you get in from Chemists, but I will check (if someone else does not provide advice).
Should you have any more questions please don't hesitate to come back here. If you live in Sydney (or nearby) with have a gathering of Camino nuts each month. Have a look on the Australia/New Zealand page (towards the bottom of the home page). Cheers & Buen Camino.:);)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@SallyD, my approach to this to have a large enough suitcase so that I can pack my backpack flat into the bag, and pack its contents and any other items I need to pack around the backpack. If you take this approach, you will find that the backpack harness will not necessarily fold very flat, but it is possible to pack items around that.

I also pack so that things like my walking poles and hiking footwear are readily accessible near the top of my packing. You will need to declare these for quarantine inspection when you return to Australia, and it is handy not to have to unpack everything to get at them. It also pays to give them a good clean before packing them so that there is no soil or plant material left on them.

I have never heard of an airline requirement related to bedbugs! They will not inspect it for bugs, or ask you any questions about them. You might not be able to carry your walking sticks in your carry-on pack.

When you arrive home, you might want to 'bag' it before you enter your house and treat everything. See the famous post by SYates here.
Actually, you may want to bag it at the airport upon arrival before putting it in your car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your replies. I did wonder about customs declarations!
Cheers and buen Camino.
SallyD :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
G'Day Sally and welcome to the Forum. Ah bed bugs - well if you even have the slightest suspicion that you have the little critters you MUST advise the hospitalero at the first albergue you come too. So they can help you get rid of them. Similarly if you think you might have them when you arrive in Santiago I strongly recommend you thoroughly was everything (including the backpack itself); you sleeping bag can go into a drier - at high heat to kill the bed bugs and their eggs. When you get home - leave just about everything outside - in hot sun if possible, then go through the cleaning process again.

As for carrying your backpack as carry on luggage it will depend upon how large it is. Here I will make an assumption that you are flying Emirates out of Madrid - so an an economy class passenger you have a 7kg weight limit; business and first class have better carry-on allowances however your backpack will still need to be able to fit into the overhead luggage lockers/bins.
Like C clearly the airline might not have restrictions however I strongly doubt they will be happy to carry your infected bag as cabin luggage - nor will any other fellow passenger whose carrying on bags may come in contact with your bag and also become infected.

If you do some searches you will find a fair amount of info on how to avoid the buggers and how to get rid of them. One other thing - you should spray your Camino gear - backpack/sleeping bag/liner - (inside and out) with Permythian (sic?) - I think you get in from Chemists, but I will check (if someone else does not provide advice).
Should you have any more questions please don't hesitate to come back here. If you live in Sydney (or nearby) with have a gathering of Camino nuts each month. Have a look on the Australia/New Zealand page (towards the bottom of the home page). Cheers & Buen Camino.:);)
@Saint Mike II thanks for the info and invite. I live 5 hrs away from Sydney but will try to get to a meeting sometime. Cheers SallyD

@Saint Mike II thanks for the info and invite. I live 5 hrs away from Sydney but will try to get to a meeting sometime. Cheers SallyD
Sally I have sent you a PM with info about the Sydney Pilgrims - you will get an email advice from Ivar informing you of my PM. When next you log-on you will see an alert notice in your inbox (just to the right of your name - at the top of the page). Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back