• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Flight Insurance

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD

Renascer

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone! I booked my first camino flight again! As soon i booked to Porto i heard about Portugal possible new restrictions. I have a question for those that bought insurance. I didn't see offering it on the site when i bought the ticket. Since i didn't buy it last week together with the ticket, what is the best to buy if that is even possible just to make sure i don’t lose ticket money and can get a refund in case things get worse.
Is Allianz insurance for example, good only for refundable tickets or also nonrefundable?
Trying to understand this complicated ordeal.
For my curiosity Is insurance good no matter what type of ticket you buy, they will refund your money? Thank u

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone! I booked my first camino flight again! As soon i booked to Porto i heard about Portugal possible new restrictions. I have a question for those that bought insurance. I didn't see offering it on the site when i bought the ticket. Since i didn't buy it last week together with the ticket, what is the best to buy if that is even possible just to make sure i don’t lose ticket money and can get a refund in case things get worse.
Is Allianz insurance for example, good only for refundable tickets or also nonrefundable?
For my curiosity Is insurance good no matter what type of ticket you buy, they will refund your money? Thank u

One of the things to look for in a policy is "cancel for any reason," which is typically more expensive.

The site linked below is an aggregator(the one I'm most familiar with/have used). Enter in your details and the site will present several options to choose from. There are other sites as well to search for the policy that meets your needs; just search for "travel insurance aggregator."

I always use insuremytrip.com (similar to Squaremouth mentioned above) to compare and purchase travel insurance. I don't normally purchase the insurance offered by the airline.
You need to decide exactly what your risk is, and what you want to cover. As I have bought my tickets with air miles, which I can have redeposited to my account for a small fee I don't have much financial risk.
What I'm looking to cover are health care costs that my regular insurance won't cover, flights home if I need to return home because of illness or death of a family member, costs of hotel stays and flight changes if I test positive for Covid and have to quarantine, etc.
Many credit cards automatically cover some things like lost/delayed luggage when you use them to purchase your tickets - you should investigate what coverage you may already have in place.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you guys. Not so much experience with this stuff.
@trecile so then when you buy your tickets do you even worry if the airline says that its refundable or not? It doesnt matter right? Since insurance would cover for it if something happen?
I didn't have points to buy it that way but since the price was not so high i do believe it is non refundable. It is with Tap. Even this points ordeal is all new to me. I will start later on learning that better, to benefit from it, transfer points from credit cards etc, if i have any credit cards that works with it. I was actually watching a youtube video about it the other day.
All i know it that I come here in this forum and see all the experience i feel like i am still living in the stone era! Lol lots to learn. Thank you

Last edited:
One of the things to look for in a policy is "cancel for any reason," which is typically more expensive.

The site linked below is an aggregator(the one I'm most familiar with/have used). Enter in your details and the site will present several options to choose from. There are other sites as well to search for the policy that meets your needs; just search for "travel insurance aggregator."

Thank you @Phoenix i will definitely research that. Never even heard about that word: aggregator. 🙂

Thank you guys. Not so much experience with this stuff.
@trecile so then when you buy your tickets do you even worry if the airline says that its refundable or not? It doesnt matter right? Since insurance would cover for it if something happen?
I didn't have points to buy it that way but since the price was not so high i believe it is non refundable. It is with Tap. Even this points ordeal is all new to me. I will start later on learn that better to benefit from it or transfer from credit cards if i have any credit cards that works with it.
I come here in this forum and see all the experience i feel like i am still living in the stone era! Lol lots to learn. Thank you
In general the lower fare tickets are non-refundable - that doesn't necessarily mean non-changeable, although there are rock bottom priced tickets that are both non-refundable and non-changeable. There is usually a fee to change flights, though lots of airlines have been waiving that fee during the pandemic. They will however charge you the difference if the flight that you want to change to is more expensive. You should always read the fare rules of your ticket before buying it.

Cancel for any reason insurance is more expensive, and doesn't refund 100% - usually just 75%. It would be useful if you have pre-paid for expensive accommodations, tours, etc., but maybe not so much for an inexpensive flight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In general the lower fare tickets are non-refundable - that doesn't necessarily mean non-changeable, although there are rock bottom priced tickets that are both non-refundable and non-changeable. There is usually a fee to change flights, though lots of airlines have been waiving that fee during the pandemic. They will however charge you the difference if the flight that you want to change to is more expensive. You should always read the fare rules of your ticket before buying it.

Cancel for any reason insurance is more expensive, and doesn't refund 100% - usually just 75%. It would be useful if you have pre-paid for expensive accommodations, tours, etc., but maybe not so much for an inexpensive flight.
This time i learned my lesson! I will NOT book a bunch of places to sleep. I will leave for the last minute. When they changed my flights in September I needed to re-schedule all this stuff. I will stay nice and frozen this time. 🙂 No booking hotels etc… Covid Travel! Not for the impatient ones! I am so happy you also got your tickets! I so want to be there.
If any problem hope insurance will cover for this ticket. I will call Tap to find out if it is a non-refundable ticket.

This time i learned my lesson! I will NOT book a bunch of places to sleep. I will leave for the last minute. When they changed my flights in September I needed to re-schedule all this stuff. I will stay nice and frozen this time. 🙂 No booking hotels etc… Covid Travel! Not for the impatient ones! I am so happy you also got your tickets! I so want to be there.
If any problem hope insurance will cover for this ticket. I will call Tap to find out if it is a non-refundable ticket.
If you use TAP and need to make changes while abroad, their customer service is less-than stellar.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It’s quite possible that most insurance policies have exclusion clauses for cancelled trips induced by pandemics, epidemics or similar situations.

I would check out www.insurancefortrips.com. You can chat with them from the website or they have an 800 toll free number you can call. I spoke to them and they informed me the travel cancellation insurance they offer would reimburse you for your non-refundable airfare if you tested positive for COVID and/or medically quarantined and could not travel. The insurance would not reimburse you if you decided to not travel due to the fear of traveling, new travel restrictions or testing/vaccination requirements or closed borders. If you want coverage for the later, then they offer a plan which allows you to cancel for any reason. However, it's a bit pricey but may be a good idea in today's environment.

I always recommend checking with the airline. Most will give you credit for a future flight if you decide to cancel your air reservation. I think it's a couple hundred bucks (USD) the airlines charge you to cancel or to apply the credit to a future flight.

I hope this helps!

-Adam

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back