• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flight Prices

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
We are planning for our April/May 2022 Camino.
Tuesday, Joe and I looked at flights from Portland, Oregon to Barcelona and found flights around $580.
We decided to 'think about it.'
Joe goes to the CA desert every winter, so we wanted to see if it was cheaper to rent a car from Desert Hot Springs and fly out of LAX, etc.
Big mistake.
By Thursday, after clearing caches and history, we searched again and prices were up in the $780 range.
About $100/day.
We booked our flights. After adding seat choices, and insurance, we spent around $1000 each.
Should have nabbed those flights the first time around.
Prices are increasing quickly.
Just sayin'

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry to hear that Annie. The decision of whether to buy immediately or not is always a tough one. Not to add insult to injury, but on a whim a couple of hours ago I decided to look at flights for a possible winter getaway from Lisbon in January. I looked at a few places in Italy and Spain on Ryanair and eventually stumbled on Valencia at €16 per person return. So I snapped them up before I could think twice!

Tuesday, Joe and I looked at flights from Portland, Oregon to Barcelona and found flights around $580.
Joe goes to the CA desert every winter, so we wanted to see if it was cheaper to rent a car from Desert Hot Springs and fly out of LAX, etc.
Big mistake.
By Thursday, after clearing caches and history, we searched again and prices were up in the $780 range.
About $100/day.
We booked our flights. After adding seat choices, and insurance, we spent around $1000 each.
Just sayin'
I bought my tickets about a month ago, San Francisco (cost does not reflect the Kauai leg as I'd be coming to visit family at that time anyway) to Bilbao, first class, lie flat seats, on TAP all in $1,500 round trip. I joined Scott's Cheap for their trial period learned some interesting tips (days/times/patience/research) and while I didn't end up getting a ticket through them, I did actually get a lower one through Google utilizing what I'd learned. Even then though I agonized, largely because I started out higher, but I knew my back would be shot for at least a week if I saved on coach (which I'd spend in hotel on the floor waiting for spasms to stop). I plan on eating cheap and limiting little splurges to offset.
It is a nerve wracking game to be sure. Most important thing, you're on your way! I'll be April/May also, I look forward to maybe saying 👋 in person.
Safe Travels - Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just sayin'

Thanks for the reminder! I too am planning, or re-planning, my Camino for the first week in May 2022 (postponed from 2020) and have been waffling on buying my plane ticket since prices seemed higher than I was expecting. But between gas prices and inflation in general, I don't think they're going to fall substantially between now and next spring, and I'd rather have at least part of my travel plans locked in now than wait until later.

So I went ahead and just booked my flight from Boston to Paris (where I wanted to spend a few days before heading to SJPP - Paris is always a good idea, right?). Since I also wanted to keep things open and perhaps do a little more traveling around Europe post-Camino, I only booked a one-way ticket - and it was "interesting" (read: sobering) to see that the price for a one-way BOS > CDG ticket in 2022 was about the same price as I paid for a round trip one back in 2020 🥺 Let's hope prices don't get too crazy when I'm ready to come back to the States next year or I may be extending my Camino experience indefinitely ...

Last edited:
I admit that I am able to afford the things that are important to me, but I am a generally frugal person.

I prefer to be boring and uncreative with airfare. Thus I check a couple of major airlines and buy from their selection, when it is convenient for me to do so. While I'm eager to travel, I try to resist pressure caused by fear of missing out on the bargains. There are undoubtedly fluke bargains that I miss because I don't spend hours watching for them. However, I find that the standard fares generally increase slowly (with a few sale periods) over the 6-10 months beforehand. Even buying 1 month before travel, the typical fare is a few hundred dollars more than the cheapest it ever was. Maybe that's because in Canada, we simply don't get the airline competition seen in other countries. I don't really mind, as it simplifies my life and I don't spend much mental effort on that part of my plans.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Big mistake.
About $100/day.
Just sayin'
No guarantees , but airlines release new schedules each week…on Mondays. so Tuesdays are often good days to buy a seat. …though I have found excellent prices on any given day. I would recommend that if you are flying internationally, you buy a ticket that you can, at least, change with no change fee. Remember we are still in a pandemic!

See Skyscanner. https://www.skyscanner.com/tips-and-inspiration/why-flight-prices-change-every-minute

When do flight prices drop during the week?​

According to our data: Tuesday. It seems most airlines launch their discounts on Monday nights, so you can pick up the best prices on Tuesday mornings. Typically, you’ll save somewhere between 15 and 25 percent.

Last edited:
Peanuts compared to what you and others pay, but the flight I'm looking at (for March) which was meant to be €10 as a base price is currently at €75, and >€100 in the months before and after.

Apparently it has to do with the collapse of 1 or 2 budget airlines, fuel shortages, and an expected rush for seats when things open up again. Which, looking at the current state of things, might be later rather than sooner.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't think I want to leave the ground in any airplane that sells me a seat for €10.

When Ryanair were making a fuss about the level of government imposed flight taxes some years ago, they offered flights at €0.01. Purchased two flights to Dublin for daughter and her friend.

Total cost for 2 return flights was $0.04 - as Ryanair also paid the flight taxes.

Daughter, friend, Ryanair and taxes are still around.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Big mistake.
About $100/day.
Just sayin'
Buying plane tickets is like picking stocks I usually get it wrong😂 for me I'm not trying to get the super cheapest but just to hit it where I'm not paying top dollar. Also try for a decent flight duration. Maybe 1 stop max. Recently an employee from jet blue told me she always gets 2 one way tickets. She claims added flexibility and a good price. The jury is still out on that one. I do use an app called "hopper" they have a cool feature where it forecasts when might be the best time to buy the ticket based on past ticket price trends. I use that to get a feel for what a good price actually is. But let's be honest, in 10 years the price of the ticket will be a faded memory and the actual camino will shine bright for the rest of our lives. Good for you! buen camino

Maybe that's because in Canada, we simply don't get the airline competition seen in other countries.
I am from Vermont, but I almost always fly to Europe from Montreal. From time to time I see ticket sales from Air Canada, Air France, and Air Transat. I have found their sale prices very attractive and have taken advantage of them. Of course, buying tickets 5-6 months before a trip has become much riskier with Covid still lingering. :(

Safe travels.

Two years ago I flew between Boston and Barcelona on the cheap, no frills Level airlines that piggybacked on Iberia. Approximately $110 (US) each way and the fares they cited included taxes. Fares have increased; they show a fare of $247 departing on April 1, 2022 and $255 returning on May 1 (so about $500 round trip). If you click the 3x3 grid they show the fares for each day of the month and even highlight the cheapest fare. And you can easily change months to look for even cheaper fares.

They fly between Barcelona and the North American cities of LA, SF, NY and Boston but you can can schedule other European destinations, including Paris and Spanish cities and towns, via Barcelona. Pre-pandemic I even saw Boston-Barcelona-Buenos Aires fares cheaper than direct flights on other airlines.

A warning though: During the pandemic every once in awhile I would check their fares out of curiosity. For each check I did I see that Level would have no flights scheduled for months but they would show them for months in advance. My next check would show that everything slipped by months. The same thing may still be happening. I'm not sure how they would handle a rescheduling/refunding of paid ticket.

Edit: Using the online tool I was seeing that round trip fares were about the same as one way fares.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buying plane tickets is like picking stocks I usually get it wrong😂 for me I'm not trying to get the super cheapest but just to hit it where I'm not paying top dollar. Also try for a decent flight duration. Maybe 1 stop max. Recently an employee from jet blue told me she always gets 2 one way tickets. She claims added flexibility and a good price. The jury is still out on that one. I do use an app called "hopper" they have a cool feature where it forecasts when might be the best time to buy the ticket based on past ticket price trends. I use that to get a feel for what a good price actually is. But let's be honest, in 10 years the price of the ticket will be a faded memory and the actual camino will shine bright for the rest of our lives. Good for you! buen camino
The more stops the better for me.
I can get off the plane, stretch my legs, get fresh air, and eat.

When do flight prices drop during the week?​

According to our data: Tuesday. It seems most airlines launch their discounts on Monday nights, so you can pick up the best prices on Tuesday mornings. Typically, you’ll save somewhere between 15 and 25 percent.
Great information. Thanks for posting! I guess I should get on the ball too and start researching costs. I plan to depart LAX the first week of May 2022 and return at the end of June. Like other posters here, I'm not particularly price sensitive, but I also like to get the best price I can on what I want, and I do wat this. Thanks to the OP too for the reminder to start doing the research!

Prices often go up if you go in on the same computer without clearing your cach/cookies.
It is my understanding that this is a myth. See here and here, for example. I have done dozens and dozens of repeat searches on my computer, in different accounts with different IP addresses, with great consistency of prices.

Edited to add: I only compare prices on the websites of the major airlines, and on Expedia (since they sometimes have some routings that are not listed on the airline sites, but which are still legitimate). I don't even look at the others.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Whats the best airline from Portland?
the best airline from PDX is the one that takes you down to SFO, from which you can fly to Europe!! i'm seeing fares right now SFO to LIS, roundtrip in April - May for about $410

It is my understanding that this is a myth. See here and here, for example. I have done dozens and dozens of repeat searches on my computer, in different accounts with different IP addresses, with great consistency of prices.

Glad you pointed out the long-standing myth of nefarious browser cookies affecting flight prices. Alas, booking on Tuesdays apparently doesn't affect prices either:

Setting a price drop alert for the trip you're planning via Google Flights or Skyscanner, however, can help a lot.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Everything is relative. These prices all looking pretty great from down under 🙃. But we do get so much more for our money - 24 + hours in a plane - with a mask on 😷. Even so, we’re excited!
Yes Jenny! I’ve just paid $2,165 for my flights from Australia- first Camino ( 2nd attempt) for April 2022 😊

Yeah. Congratulations Sandra. How exciting. I see you are at Avoca Beach. I’m just nearby at Pretty Beach - happy to meet up some time if I can be of any help. I’ve walked a few Caminos 😎

Yeah. Congratulations Sandra. How exciting. I see you are at Avoca Beach. I’m just nearby at Pretty Beach - happy to meet up some time if I can be of any help. I’ve walked a few Caminos 😎
Oh wow! That’s great and yes I’d love to. I’m doing the Frances- late April 😃🙏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes Jenny! I’ve just paid $2,165 for my flights from Australia- first Camino ( 2nd attempt) for April 2022 😊
Oy veh. Scared to check prices from Adelaide yet. But, so happy that I MIGHT be traveling again in 2022. Adelaide is a lovely place but I'm feeling cooped up now. Safe, but cooped up......

Oy veh. Scared to check prices from Adelaide yet. But, so happy that I MIGHT be traveling again in 2022. Adelaide is a lovely place but I'm feeling cooped up now. Safe, but cooped up......
I have just booked CBR-LIS returning LHR-CBR flying in late Apr then back in Jun, with the forward journey transiting Adelaide. The base cost was about the same as @Sandra R paid, so departure from Adelaide might be a bit less. You could be lucky. A few extra legroom seats, etc have bumped the cost up a bit, but still bearable. I did note that the base price has increased some $200 since I booked exactly the same trip at the same time in 2020.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have just booked CBR-LIS returning LHR-CBR flying in late Apr then back in Jun, with the forward journey transiting Adelaide. The base cost was about the same as @Sandra R paid, so departure from Adelaide might be a bit less. You could be lucky. A few extra legroom seats, etc have bumped the cost up a bit, but still bearable. I did note that the base price has increased some $200 since I booked exactly the same trip at the same time in 2020.
Cautiously optimistic! thanks, maybe this time....

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back