• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flightbag

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Personally Iā€™ll ask for the largest cheap general-goods store. In Spain these are often operated by Asian owners and known colloquially as a ā€˜China storeā€™ or ā€˜Hong Kong store.

Itā€™s quite likely that youā€™ll find an inexpensive bag which will take your rucksack and a lot more. Itā€™s also probable that itā€™ll be bright pink and covered in cartoon characters and/or slogans with unusual spelling.

Where can I buy a cheap flightbag for my backpack in Santiago?
Do you mean a bag to put your backpack in for the flight home? If so have you considered taking an IKEA Frakta with you?
You could use it as a pack liner while you're walking or even send one on to SdC to await you at the post office.

Edit - just checked with my daughter and she used an IKEA DIMPA bag the last time she took a backpack on board. Said it was a neater solution and not so "rustly" o_O

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
IKEA Frakta is my favorite, if you donā€™t mind to carry some extra 200 or so grams more šŸ„µ

Ah Ikea, ofcourse! I see there is one in Santiago not far from the camino. The Frakta would be the right choice for us.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, If the flight bag is for the purpose of protecting your backpack so you can check it with the airlines, most large airports in Spain have a luggage wrap service. The service wraps the backpack into a neat little blue bundle (with the top loop left out for a handle) for 10 Euros. You write your name and any identifiers you wish on it with a permanent marker the service provides. Then check it in. I always carry my backpack with me traveling to Spain, but often check it in when flying home.

A packable holdall works for me checking in poles and rucksack together.
Also...if you want to carry your comfortable rucksack and send on any heavy stuff day to day, pack that stuff in the packable holdall.

As henrythedog mentioned, the China stores do carry large inexpensive duffle bags. We bought one recently at a China store in Santiago and it worked great.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, If the flight bag is for the purpose of protecting your backpack so you can check it with the airlines, most large airports in Spain have a luggage wrap service. The service wraps the backpack into a neat little blue bundle (with the top loop left out for a handle) for 10 Euros. You write your name and any identifiers you wish on it with a permanent marker the service provides. Then check it in. I always carry my backpack with me traveling to Spain, but often check it in when flying home.
And don't forget to put all those metres and metres of plastic wrap in the recycling bin when you get home . . . . what? It's not recyclable? Oh well, landfill it is then.

Last edited:
Personally Iā€™ll ask for the largest cheap general-goods store. In Spain these are often operated by Asian owners and known colloquially as a ā€˜China storeā€™ or ā€˜Hong Kong store.

Itā€™s quite likely that youā€™ll find an inexpensive bag which will take your rucksack and a lot more. Itā€™s also probable that itā€™ll be bright pink and covered in cartoon characters and/or slogans with unusual spelling.
Just two weeks ago I purchased a really nice zip up duffle 40-60L for $15 Euro at a Decathlon in Barcelona for just this purpose....you might try there in Santiago. As these things go, I dont know whether that is inexpensive, but it is better than others I have bought, both in price and quality.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Where can I buy a cheap flightbag for my backpack in Santiago?
I bought one of those cheap striped zip up bags at a grocery/ bits and bobs shop in Santiago. I think it was on the way in jus before you get to San Martinā€™s near the Cathedral. It fitted my pack, poles and anything else that I may have bought. For added security I used grey duct tape and wound it around the whole bag, but between the handles. Did the same on the way over from Oz and then just put it in the airport bin when I got to Paris. Whatever you do wonā€™t be wrong. go well.

I bought one of those cheap striped zip up bags at a grocery/ bits and bobs shop in Santiago. I think it was on the way in jus before you get to San Martinā€™s near the Cathedral. It fitted my pack, poles and anything else that I may have bought. For added security I used grey duct tape and wound it around the whole bag, but between the handles. Did the same on the way over from Oz and then just put it in the airport bin when I got to Paris. Whatever you do wonā€™t be wrong. go well.
I was with you all the way up until "then just put it in the airport bin when I got to Paris" - why do so many first world solutions involve creating garbage - usually for some other country to clear away?

What did they say in the 60s? "If you're not a part of the solution they you're a part of the problem."

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
We bought a backpack travel bag in Piteira Sport. It's lasting well. It's also roomy enough that we could lash two backpacks together with a luggage strap and pay for just one checked luggage.

We bought a backpack travel bag in Piteira Sport. It's lasting well. It's also roomy enough that we could lash two backpacks together with a luggage strap and pay for just one checked luggage.
Friend and I did that too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Today I bought a McKinley flightbag for my backpack at Piteira sport for ā‚¬25! It fits maximum a 80 L backpack. Happy with it!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). Iā€™m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.