• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flights - Carry on Rucksack

jonnyboy9

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 October?
My partner is concerned about taking her 35 litre rucksack as "Carry On" luggage as it might be deemed to be too big as Carry On luggage. She doesn't mind if it goes in the hold but she doesn't want to have to pay to do so. I've checked my own 46 litre rucksack in the hold so that I can carry poles and liquids. We are travelling London to Oviedo and Stg to London via Madrid. Does anyone have any experiences of taking their rucksack on board as Carry On? Thanks in advance.
Jon

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Which airline - she should measure her pack and check the airlines requirements for both size and weight. Also it's not just liquids - I've had issues with scissors and trekking poles carrying them on in the past - but I'm not familiar with European rules

I have carried on my 40 l pack onto many, many planes, but I do sometimes have to check it because of the weight limits and/or because I want to take "illegal" stuff like liquids

My partner is concerned about taking her 35 litre rucksack as "Carry On" luggage as it might be deemed to be too big as Carry On luggage. She doesn't mind if it goes in the hold but she doesn't want to have to pay to do so. I've checked my own 46 litre rucksack in the hold so that I can carry poles and liquids. We are travelling London to Oviedo and Stg to London via Madrid. Does anyone have any experiences of taking their rucksack on board as Carry On? Thanks in advance.
Jon
I carried on my 36l Osprey backpack in 2015. I was flying from the States.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jon
Be aware that SdC airport authorities doesn't allow (strictly) any, even collapsible and stored in backpack, walking poles carried onto the plane! Checked in baggage is different story though.

Jon

Hi

I have walked several Caminos flying from London Gatwick and Stansted using EasyJet, Vueling and Ryanair (once) and I have never checked in my Exos 48 osprey backpack. I have never had problems with being stopped and told to pay to put my pack in the hold although on 2 occasions, my pack was taken into the hold free of charge as the plane was full. I hv just returned from SdC on Friday 10 August with my daughter who carries an Alpine Lowe 35L pack.... there was no problem with us carrying our packs into the cabin (as hand luggage). So, unless the rules has changed in the last 48 hours, I would continue with taking my Exos into the cabin for my other Caminos...

But, Kinky is right, you cannot bring your collapsible walking poles with you in your backpack into the cabin... they must go into the hold, which, then incurs a cost.

Good luck and Buen Camino...

My son and I flew Ryanair from Frankfurt to Edinburgh (and return) last summer and I carried on my 65 l. and he carried his 45 l without concern. By the way, we both had poles inside. No rule against it at the time, I guess.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My son and I flew Ryanair from Frankfurt to Edinburgh (and return) last summer and I carried on my 65 l. and he carried his 45 l without concern. By the way, we both had poles inside. No rule against it at the time, I guess.
It's Santiago airport notoriously infamous for this while other airports might have different policies.

I have taken my collapsed poles to Spain in the aircraft for the last 2 years without any problem and the last time they physically searched the bag and made no comment about the poles!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That does not change the fact that for most airlines it is not allowed. Ryanair for one states clearly that it isn't, as it constitutes a potential weapon. So if someone takes them in their pack based on your experience, they might still have to remove them and pay to have them in the hold. I have spoken to security officers at Liverpool, Dublin, Manchester, Torp, Oslo and Trondheim airports and none of them would allow long sticks with sharp points into the cabin, collapsed or not. Always check before assuming you can!

My stick does not have a sharp point, or any point at all. In fact it is no different from a walking stick. The only risk is it may be removed. In which case I’ll buy another one for less than 10 euros in Spain…. Therefore, for the convenience of not checking my bag in I am content to take the risk.

Jon
That's a good plan and you will be fine. I have taken a 40l backpack as carry on lots of times even on Ryanair and easyJet who are about the strictest. Poles, scissors, corkscrew :), toiletries etc in the checked in bag. There are a few items that you should actually put in the carryon such as batteries and power banks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi

I have walked several Caminos flying from London Gatwick and Stansted using EasyJet, Vueling and Ryanair (once) and I have never checked in my Exos 48 osprey backpack. I have never had problems with being stopped and told to pay to put my pack in the hold although on 2 occasions, my pack was taken into the hold free of charge as the plane was full. I hv just returned from SdC on Friday 10 August with my daughter who carries an Alpine Lowe 35L pack.... there was no problem with us carrying our packs into the cabin (as hand luggage). So, unless the rules has changed in the last 48 hours, I would continue with taking my Exos into the cabin for my other Caminos...

But, Kinky is right, you cannot bring your collapsible walking poles with you in your backpack into the cabin... they must go into the hold, which, then incurs a cost.

Good luck and Buen Camino...

I am afraid that I have some issues with those who insist on the right to carry on "oversized" luggage due to some perceived inconvenience or cost factor.

Air lines maintain a size limit in the cabin for legitimate reasons. ie: it fits under the seat or in the over head bins. Sure you may be able to cram the luggage into the bin but often it must go in sideways or at an odd angle. Often this means that other people have no room to place their bag overhead as there is not sufficient room.

Surely the cost of checking a bag is a small portion of the cost of the ticket and what you will spend on the rest of the trip.

My pack is 40 L and I have carried it on probably 20 flights, putting it in the overhead compartment and never once having a problem with a flight attendant or an airline. My polls and my knife go in a little box that I check. If that box gets lost in transit it’s not the end of the world. But the last thing I’m going to do is check my backpack.

I'm guessing you're flying easyJet both ways, in which case you should have no problems with the rucksack. (If it fits in the overhead locker, and you can physically lift it up there, no problem.)

Put her poles in your checked baggage.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jonnyboy9..........you don't say which airline you will be travelling with but if it is Ryanair then these are the rules ...

• All passengers are entitled to bring 1 small personal bag on board which must fit under the seat in front of you (35cm x 20cm x 20cm). Examples include, handbag, laptop bag and small back pack.
  • Passengers who have purchased "Priority & 2 Cabin Bags" or Plus/Flexi/Family ticket or connecting flight ticket can bring 1 additional 10kg bag on board which must fit into the baggage sizer (not exceeding 10kg and dimensions 55cm x 40cm x 20cm).
  • Passengers who choose not to purchase ”Priority & 2 Cabin Bags” and arrive at the gate with 2 bags, your second larger bag (10kg weight Dimensions: 55cm x 40cm x 20cm) will be taken off you, tagged and placed in the aircraft hold free of charge. Please ensure all valuables are removed. You will collect this bag at the baggage belt at your destination airport. (N.B. Remember to bring your passport with you if yoiu need to go through passport control at your destination airport.)

• I will be flying out on 18/09/2018 and after reading these rule i, for the sake of £6 , paid them for priority boarding as a bag 35 x 20 x 20 is very small indeed .

Last edited:
I am afraid that I have some issues with those who insist on the right to carry on "oversized" luggage
I don't think anyone mentioned oversized bags. My 40l travel backpack is regulation size and easily fits in the overhead locker in the standard way just like the similarly sized wheeled bags most people use. The OP 36l bag is almost certainly the same.

I don't know if you fly regularly in Europe but often the cost of checking a bag on say Ryanair doubles the cost of the flight. I for one would prefer to have that money rather than Ryanair.

I don't think anyone mentioned oversized bags. My 40l travel backpack is regulation size and easily fits in the overhead locker in the standard way just like the similarly sized wheeled bags most people use. The OP 36l bag is almost certainly the same.

I don't know if you fly regularly in Europe but often the cost of checking a bag on say Ryanair doubles the cost of the flight. I for one would prefer to have that money rather than Ryanair.

I regularily travel with an Osprey Exos 48L that was mentionned above and it definitely exceeds most airline dimensions. I would expect that the 65 L bag, mentioned here as well, would be oversized. I understand that low cost airlines make up some of the deficit by charging for baggage. But that is often the cost of saving money on the ticket itself.. no?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use a 38 liter kit and pack my poles inside of it and have never been questioned and I fly all a lot. I never check any luggage except coming home because of gifts and trinkets I have purchased while traveling. I usually but the box to check stuff at the post office they sell heavy duty boxes.

I am afraid that I have some issues with those who insist on the right to carry on "oversized" luggage due to some perceived inconvenience or cost factor.

Air lines maintain a size limit in the cabin for legitimate reasons. ie: it fits under the seat or in the over head bins. Sure you may be able to cram the luggage into the bin but often it must go in sideways or at an odd angle. Often this means that other people have no room to place their bag overhead as there is not sufficient room.

Surely the cost of checking a bag is a small portion of the cost of the ticket and what you will spend on the rest of the trip.

Hi

I never “insist” on carrying my osprey as a carry on.... my weight is usually 5 kg (exceeded 8 kg once) and quite flat.... and EasyJet was ok with my pack. If it was packed to bursting (which has never happened), I would put it in the hold. I never bring toiletries other than my special cream... I buy what I need in Spain and donate/throw them before I fly home...

On another note, I used to fly Vueling back to London quite often and the airline did allow a complementary check in for walking poles. I have not flown Vueling for a while, hence unsure what the policy is... Am unsure if one has such pleasure with other airlines...

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jon
My son took my Lowe Alpine 35/45 as cabin baggage with Aer Lingus. It was slightly bigger than the regulation size but no-one queried it. I have seen some packs and cases over the years that looked too big to me. Saw one guy force his pack into the measure and then struggle to get it out again.

Jon

I just carried my 35 liter rucksack to Madrid, from Oveida to Madrid, then Madrid to Philadelphia. No problems. I regularly use my 35 liter pack as a carry on for travel.

Jon

If you want to carry your kit onto the plane, you need to be mindful of your Swiss army knife( highly recommended) and any liquids over 4 oz. that might determine the fate of your bag. 35 l bags seem to be small enough to fit in the overhead, 49 litres is on the cusp and a full 45 l bag will likely have to go below.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I would never check my backpack. Not for cost reasons, but because it contains literally everything for my treks. I've had checked bags get lost one too many times on regular holidays. No way would I check my one and only bag for my Camino. Not a chance! (And if it was "oversized" they would not even let you take it in the cabin.) :) Buen Camino everyone!

I prefer carry on only. Nothing better than getting on & off the plane without having to wait around the baggage carosel with all the other jet lagged zombies.

Going by Liter size alone however is misleading. My Stratos 50L is so much shorter than my Talon 44L or even my Exos 38L. I have never had a problem bringing it as carry on. But of course you never know really what each airline will do on any given day.

I have found that being “nice” & “friendly” to the airline staff at check in goes a long way. Doesn’t take much to smile and converse with someone. And the benefits are two fold. One you both feel good, and more likey than not you’ll get your carry on approved where the unfriendly person will have to check theirs.

Bien Camino!

Jon
I have taken my 36litre pack as carry on twice now, flying Emirates.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Jon
I took my 42liter backpack as a carryon in 2014 both on my international flight and within Spain. No problems.

Question for those who carried on their rucksack: What do you do with all the straps and waist belt?? Don't they dangle and clank and get caught on stuff? And...I may have to hand it over for a small plane on one link to Spain...do I put it in a garbage bag or something??

Question for those who carried on their rucksack: What do you do with all the straps and waist belt?? Don't they dangle and clank and get caught on stuff? And...I may have to hand it over for a small plane on one link to Spain...do I put it in a garbage bag or something??
I checked mine due to the multitool with the knife. But maybe you can put your pack cover over it ...tuck your straps in. I didnt have a problem with poles to and from the US however From Santiago...Ryan Air asked me to check them even though I am handicapped. I suppose I could have insisted but it is not worth the drama. I wrapped them and attached them to my pack and the airline put the entire thing in a plastic bag. ....no problems otherwise

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Just back , no problems with 40 l Deuter on Easy Jet.
No problems at all with the bigger airlines [ BA , Qantas , Emirates , Qatar ]
We always tie up straps with elastic bands or duct tape . Waist Belt is not that cumbersome if straps rolled to minimum.
We also in a very small gift bag put the stuff from the top [ normally liquids] that decreases the bags height when flying Easy Jet.
** The secret with them is to buy the "Speedy Boarding Seats"

For the sake of avoiding the luggage terminal we always buy walking sticks when we commence and leave in an albergue when we finish , or with fond memories giving them to an elderly Japanese man in Valcarlos after we had commenced in Le Puy....we were finishing in Pamplona.

You can put the rain cover on it backwards. Works great to keep all that mumbo jumbo contained. :)

I just bought my husband a new Exos which fits him perfectly, but even at 38L it is too big because it is the longer back size. Just measure the actual unbendy back system part of your pack, check it against airline policy and cinch everything down. The Exos in a Large back length is 61 cms, Easyjet carryon luggage limit is 56 cms, so we will be checking his pack in with walking poles and some liquids. Still works out cheaper than sending two pairs of poles to Spain and this way we get to train with them until we leave.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
another option could be a dry sack that would later be used for its original purpose.

65 litres as a carry on strikes me as being a little selfish - were there no other passengers who needed space too?

65 litres as a carry on strikes me as being a little selfish - were there no other passengers who needed space too?
Not necessarily. I remember before 9/11 people used to bring 100L packs on as carry on! Times have changed. But still, liter size can be totally deceiving. I have a 50L pack that is shorter than my 38L pack and that has been my go to carry on. It all depends.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I carry an older Deuter 65 because it is comfortable. When fully packed to include my sleeping bag it is no bigger than a small carry on suitcase and weighs much less. If you wish, you may check yours through on Ryanair; mine fits under the seat ahead of me making the selfish insinuation unnecessary. I have more than enough deployments where my ruck was on a pallet so as not to inconvenience my fellow soldiers....

I carry an older Deuter 65 because it is comfortable. When fully packed to include my sleeping bag it is no bigger than a small carry on suitcase and weighs much less. If you wish, you may check yours through on Ryanair; mine fits under the seat ahead of me making the selfish insinuation unnecessary. I have more than enough deployments where my ruck was on a pallet so as not to inconvenience my fellow soldiers....
Thank you for your service. :)

WOW, no need to be so defensive! That wasn't an insinuation but a statement of fact.
Using your example of Ryanair you are allowed a carry-on of 55 x 40 x 20 cms = 44 litres. If you decide to carry on a fully packed 65 litre bag then you are, in effect, taking away 21 litres of somebody else's allowance. If not selfish then at least greedy?
Ryanair's "under seat" allowance is 35 x 20 x 20 = 14 litres so if you can get a 65 litre pack in there you will have achieved the ultimate - squeezing a quart into a pint pot!
(Not sure what what palletising a rucksack on a, presumably huge, military cargo plane has to do with it but each to their own).
Have a pleasant flight! :)

If you carry on your backpack then you don't have to worry about the straps etc. I have never had a problem in the overhead locker.

I check in my exos 48 as oversize, poles, Swiss army knife etc. First couple of times I put it in a garbage bag and taped securely but it was a bit of faffing around at the airports. Now I put the rain cover over the back of the pack and tie in on with some string. Works fine.

WOW, no need to be so defensive! That wasn't an insinuation but a statement of fact.
Using your example of Ryanair you are allowed a carry-on of 55 x 40 x 20 cms = 44 litres. If you decide to carry on a fully packed 65 litre bag then you are, in effect, taking away 21 litres of somebody else's allowance. If not selfish then at least greedy?
Ryanair's "under seat" allowance is 35 x 20 x 20 = 14 litres so if you can get a 65 litre pack in there you will have achieved the ultimate - squeezing a quart into a pint pot!
(Not sure what what palletising a rucksack on a, presumably huge, military cargo plane has to do with it but each to their own).
I"m not defensive, I resent someone indicating that I was selfish (or greedy, for that matter) by generalizing the conditions of my travel. I did (as I noted it happened last year) have a pleasant flight and my Deuter fit under the seat because we were one of the last on the plane and others took up all the bins. Since airlines are concerned with weight (normally) not with cube, the optimum size of the pack is irrelevant, likewise the need for your comment. My pack weighed about 20 lbs (9+kilo). Certainly no one gave up space (cube) or weight to accommodate me and Ryanair seemed fine with my carry-on. I'll continue to use my old faithful pack until someone invents one that fits me and distributes the weight better.:cool:

Most backpacks are not rigid, so it is quite possible for a larger backpack, if not stuffed to capacity, to fill a smaller space. I have a fabric bag that is capable of holding much more than a quart that can be easily stuffed into a space smaller than a cup when not filled.

Since the poster said that they could fit the pack under the seat in front of them, it is a good indication that it was not full and was compressible. In that case, "fully packed" would not mean "packed as much as humanly possible" but rather "packed with everything the pilgrim was taking" (much more likely if the pilgrim is going to be walking a long way with a 65L pack on their back). In which case there is no need to assume that it was eating into someone else's allowance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can I just check with those who have flown with Ryanair. Isn't there a box you have to put your cabin luggage in to check if it's the allowed dimensions? And 50 x40x20 cm seems quite small?
I have only flown with Ryanair once from Dublin and there were several people behind me who told me that they had several layers of clothes on to avoid the hand luggage restrictions. It was hilarious as it was a warm day ( a bit unusual in Ireland!) but I was told Dublin were very strict and if the hand luggage didn't fit the "box" it wasn't going on the plane.

Can I just check with those who have flown with Ryanair. Isn't there a box you have to put your cabin luggage in to check if it's the allowed dimensions? And 50 x40x20 cm seems quite small?
I have only flown with Ryanair once from Dublin and there were several people behind me who told me that they had several layers of clothes on to avoid the hand luggage restrictions. It was hilarious as it was a warm day ( a bit unusual in Ireland!) but I was told Dublin were very strict and if the hand luggage didn't fit the "box" it wasn't going on the plane.
There's a cage made up of steel tubes where you are invited to test to see if your bag passes the test but they usually eyeball it. If the check in staff think they'll be problems fitting all the carry-ons in the overhead lockers they will check them in to the holds.

Be aware that Ryanair have started complaining that too many people are carrying on bags that are too big and have to be checked in (for free) at the last moment:

However, with an increase in the number of customers checking bags in at the gate, airline CEO Michael O'Leary has announced its baggage rules may be reviewed yet again.

In a Ryanair Q&A, O'Leary said: "It is creating a handling issue, particularly at peak periods.

"There are many flights where we're now having to put 100, 120 gate bags free of charge into the hold. If that continues to build it's something we may have to look at again."

@laineylainey It's 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, but yes, it's not much. I have managed to get my Osprey Tempest 30L with full camino kit nicely under the seat in front of me though so it's not impossible either. Check Ryanair's new rules though, for a fee you also get one smaller bag to take on board.

Thanks both Jeff and @nidarosa for the info on Ryanair. Think I will consider the €6 for the larger carry on bag, just to be on the safe side.
I have flown Ryanair about 6 times recently. My understanding is that the new rules have not changed the maximum carry on size. If you don't pay the extra for priority then you can only have one bag and it will be taken off you as you board to be put in the hold, no charge. If you pay for the priority you can bring your bag on board and a second smaller bag. I didn't see anyone get there bag checked for the size on any of the flights. My bag is right on the limit but no one gave it a second glance.

Carry on rule change at Ryanair again

Ryanair restrictions

Thats the end of this debate Jeff ......having said that we prefer the trains once we land after a day in the air.
It just settles everything and we get another few hours sleep ......unless we get connecting flights to Biarritz.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jon

You are fine but most airlines limit carry on bags to 10kg . Liquids except small containers in sealed plastic bags. Polepoles ok if you get them security. No chance in spainish airports. I carried on my back pack over 40 times never a problem

Surely the cost of checking a bag is a small portion of the cost of the ticket and what you will spend on the rest of the trip.[/QUOTE

I heartily agree with your statement about carrying excessive amounts of baggage onto an airplane cabin! Airplane cabins are for people and having to jostle and bang against massive backpacks because someone has a phobia about checking their luggage is inconvenient for other travellers and unnecessary in my opinion!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I heartily agree with your statement about carrying excessive amounts of baggage onto an airplane cabin! Airplane cabins are for people and having to jostle and bang against massive backpacks because someone has a phobia about checking their luggage is inconvenient for other travellers and unnecessary in my opinion!
The fault might not be with unreasonable fears in the minds of travelers but rather exorbitant charges for checked luggage in the policies of the airlines. When I fly to Portugal, I'll be taking my backpack on as carry on luggage. It fits within the posted specifications, but it is a full backpack. I'd be happy to check it. That would allow me to pack a pocket knife and take my poles with me instead of buying some there. But I'm not going to spend over $100 to do so (the posted cost for a checked bag with the discount tickets I got that enable me to take the trip and do the Camino).

Has anyone tried simply removing the carbide tips from collapsible trekking poles to see if that would make them okay to pack as a carry-on instead of as checked baggage?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Has anyone tried simply removing the carbide tips from collapsible trekking poles to see if that would make them okay to pack as a carry-on instead of as checked baggage?

Oh yes, on the grounds that they would no longer have a sharp point or sharp edge:

Objects with a sharp point or sharp edge – objects with a sharp point or sharp edge capable of being used to cause serious injury, including:

• ski and walking/hiking pole and crampons

(From EasyJet)

Only to be told they could still be used as a "club" or "truncheon"

And yet you are allowed to bring on

Sharp objects

You can bring tweezers into the cabin, and scissors with rounded ends and blades less than 6cm long. Razor blades are only allowed in the cabin if they're set in plastic. Knives with a blade not exceeding 6cm can be taken on board. Other sharp objects are not allowed in the cabin.

(Also EasyJet)

I was tempted to say that my travelling companion (ex-British military - don't ask) had told me how she had been taught to kill with a ball point pen but didn't want my pen to be confiscated nor suffer her wrath (seeing as how she had been taught to kill with a ball point pen . . . )

You really have three choices:

Check them in
Take a chance you can smooth talk security
Buy some in Spain.

Having said that I flew EasyJet to Santiago in May and two ladies boarded ahead of me, both with a couple of hiking poles sticking out of their day packs but, as it turned out, also had checked in their larger packs.

Go figure.

Jon
We traveled with Air Canada and TAP airlines to Portugal and our 35 litre packs fit nicely into the overhead bins with no problem .

Just traveled Norwegian and RyanAir: our 40L and 38L packs went as carryon, but note that they ARE under 10kg and not bulging at the seams

€149,-
You are fine but most airlines limit carry on bags to 10kg . Liquids except small containers in sealed plastic bags. Polepoles ok if you get them security. No chance in spainish airports. I carried on my back pack over 40 times never a problem
Could you explain a little more? I'm wanting to take PacerPoles - is that what you are referring to?
Thanks!

To me there are 2 types of luggage..carry on and lost. I carry mine on, even on international from Melbourne where checked bags are free. As long as it meets measurement and is under 7kg..which mine always is it's fine. My bag back is 35 litres..heaps for 3 months away.
By the way the checked luggage for economy with Pakistan airlines is 50Kgs!!

Whenever I’m traveling, and I know I have to check luggage, I always make sure that I pack the most difficult and expensive things to replace as carry on.

For instance, toilet articles and most clothing is actually quite easy to replace anywhere. But specialized equipment, often for me art supplies, but also hiking and camping equipment, shoes, is probably pretty hard to find the exact thing you want.

If the poles are the issue, you want to make the calculation of what’s more expensive and a hassle. To pay to put the poles in the hold or to locate and find new polls at your destination? Possibly, if you’re coming from continental Europe, you could mail your polls for less money to your first place to stay, or the local post office.

It seems like a really lot of work to save 25 to 100Dollars/euros. My advice is to just accept it as part of the budget, And put as little as possible into the luggage hold, so if the airline loses something, it’s less work to replace it.

And I realize this is kind of an old post… guess Im bored today.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.