• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flights from Madrid to pamplona

Angus

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2015)
A seasoned veteran walker suggested I fly from Madrid to Pamplona and then bus it to Roncesvilles and taxi to SJPP. Please share your experiences and or airline suggestions

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
At the moment there are four flight per day from Madrid to Pamplona, all Iberia Airlines.

And looking at skyscanner.net, prices are around 200 Euro one way. Taking a bus or train would be cheaper. Buen Camino, SY

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A seasoned veteran walker suggested I fly from Madrid to Pamplona and then bus it to Roncesvilles and taxi to SJPP. Please share your experiences and or airline suggestions
Is this a connecting flight that you are thinking of? I once flew from London to Barcelona which just so happened to be delayed. Sprinting from the one end of the airport to the other I managed to just make a connection to Pamplona .............. But my pack , MY WORLD did not. Luckily I only had to wait for 4 hours for the next flight and I was able to collect my 'home'.
A bus from T4 Madrid airport to Pamplona is a cheaper and more reliable option and it will probably be quicker.

I'm partial to flying as far as I can to get to the start of my camino, but I think it usually makes sense only to do it as part of your international ticket. Buying a separate Madrid to Pamplona ticket, as SYates says, is likely to be very expensive. It also can be a problem if your international flight is late, because if Madrid-Pamplona is a separate ticket, it's your problem, not the airlines' problem.

I don't know where you're coming from, but if it's from the US and you fly One World (American, BA, US Air, Iberia, etc), going into Pamplona and out of Santiago is rarely much more than in and out of Madrid. You can find those prices with the multi-city option. Only One World partners use T4 in Barajas, so changing from Delta or United, for example, to Iberia for the intra-Spain flight can be a hassle, since they land in T1 or T2.

Flying out of Santiago is great for those going back to the US. There's a 9:15 flight that gets you to Barajas in time for most of the US-bound flights and it eliminates a day of travel.

Good luck and buen camino, Laurie

The best to go from Madrid to Pamplona it´s by train.
" Renfe" offers four Alvia (Fast Train) to day, it takes a little minutes over three hours.
It is much more cheap with the plane.
Advance purchase from 20 € depending on " offers". Usual cost about 40 €.
Buen Camino.

Actually, Angus will probably be flying in with Iberia, so the cheapest and less hassle way to go is to take the local connecting flight to Pamplona.
The situation is quite different as regards to expense if you are simply going from Madrid to Pamplona overland, without any international connection!
Falcon, every time we have done this, it's Air Nostrum, which is a sister company of Iberia. Anne

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It's also quite easy to catch a bus right outside Terminal 4 that will take you to Pamplona.
The buses run all hours and it's very inexpensive and a great way to see the country!

Falcon, every time we have done this, it's Air Nostrum, which is a sister company of Iberia. Anne

Iberia recently created another "sister company", this one called Iberia Express. As explained to me by an Iberia flight attendant on a long dull international flight back to Chicago, Iberia shut down a whole bunch of routes, thus letting personnel go, and then turned around, formed a subsidiary and rehired the people at lower wages. Don't worry, only the pilots and flight attendants got hurt, management was unscathed.

Buen camino, Laurie

every time we have done this, it's Air Nostrum, which is a sister company of Iberia
Yes. They code share, and use the smaller planes on the shorter routes. American Airline, British Airways, Iberia, and Air Nostrum all put their flight number on the same airplane! Air Nostrum is a subsidiary of Iberia (to be pedantic).

If in fact you are going to fly from Madrid to Pamplona, MAKE SURE YOU BUY A ROUND-TRIP TICKET! Yes, that's not a mistake. Go to Iberia.com; choose your flight for the day and time you want to travel, find another date in the future (any day) which has the cheapest fare you can find and buy the RT. Try it. You'll find it's about 60% or less of a one-way! Buen viaje!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back