• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flights out of Santiago

auburnfive

Veteran Member
In looking at multi city flights for a trip next year, it seems that with very few exceptions departing out of Santiago adds significantly to the price. Can anyone suggest an airline that flies to Western Canada that also would include Santiago? I know there are cheap flight to Madrid, but it seems those would need to be booked separately which has its own risks. Would you book a Ryanair flight that gets into Madrid at 8am for a Madrid departure at 1:00pm? Or go the night before? Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Would you book a Ryanair flight that gets into Madrid at 8am for a Madrid departure at 1:00pm? Or go the night before?
I have never flown from Santiago, as I prefer to take the train to Madrid. Whether train or plane, I would never have a separate ticket arriving in Madrid on the same day I am supposed to fly out of Madrid. I prefer to go at least 24 hours in advance.

Porto has some reasonable fares connecting to Air Canada, if you don't mind an extra stop in Toronto. I would apply the same principles there (i.e. going to Porto the day before) but at least Porto is a lot closer to Santiago than Madrid is, so last minute issues should be easier to manage. Porto is also a very nice place to spend a day!

In looking at multi city flights for a trip next year, it seems that with very few exceptions departing out of Santiago adds significantly to the price. Can anyone suggest an airline that flies to Western Canada that also would include Santiago? I know there are cheap flight to Madrid, but it seems those would need to be booked separately which has its own risks. Would you book a Ryanair flight that gets into Madrid at 8am for a Madrid departure at 1:00pm? Or go the night before? Thanks
Check the website for your local airport for airlines that fly in and out and then check their sites for available flights. I stupidly spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to fly from Edmonton to Madrid and then on to Biarritz, when I should have been looking at Edmonton to Biarritz to start my Camino. For some flights it may be easier to book through two separate airlines, eg WestJet Western Canada to Toronto, KLM Toronto to Madrid, return Santiago to Toronto, Toronto to Western Canada.
Travel agents are still a thing, you can walk into any office with your preferred dates and locations and they will give you a price and itinerary, which you can use to book directly though the airlines (or pay their very minimal fee for setting everything up)
Good luck! Buen Camino!

For some flights it may be easier to book through two separate airlines, eg WestJet Western Canada to Toronto, KLM Toronto to Madrid, return Santiago to Toronto, Toronto to Western Canada.
But always remember the risks associated with having two separate tickets that depend on you making a connection.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My practice has been to fly into and out of a major hub airport and then as separate bookings deal with getting to the start point and from the end point. This might be a little more complicated, but I always find it less expensive. Adding a leg from Santiago (or Trondheim when I walked the St Olavs Ways) to a booking with a full service, long haul carrier is a recipe for paying through the nose. I suspect that this will be the same for long-haul flights from Canada as it is from Australia.
This gives me the option to use other travel options like a train, as well as the many low-cost carriers. It also exposes flight options from other carrier networks which typically won't be shown as preferences when booking the long-haul legs because they aren't in the same network as the long-haul carrier.

But always remember the risks associated with having two separate tickets that depend on you making a connection.
Multiple airlines can be combined on a single ticket. Such connections are protected.

However if combining airlines I would only book such a ticket directly with one of those airlines, not through a third party.

Travel agents are still a thing, you can walk into any office with your preferred dates and locations and they will give you a price and itinerary, which you can use to book directly though the airlines
I'm sorry, but that sounds completely unethical. If you have asked a travel agent to research an itinerary for you, why aren't you going to compensate them for providing this service by doing the booking through them?
A good point. There is not just the risk of missing a connexion, but if you haven't allowed sufficient time between separately booked flights, your travel insurance may not cover the risks. How much is sufficient? You will need to check the conditions on the policy documents. In my experience, it can be as long as a minimum of six hours between the ETA and ETD of the different flights.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
However if combining airlines I would only book such a ticket directly with one of those airlines, not through a third party.
I am less concerned about using different airlines when they are in the same carrier group, such as Oneworld or Star Alliance to name the two with which I am most familiar. I don't think it matters whether this is arranged and ticketed by a travel agent or online personally.

What I think is more problematic is when you have to swap between carrier groups. This happens regularly for some of us in 'regional' Australia, where the local services from the international hub airports are dominated by Qantas (a Oneworld alliance member) and Virgin Australia (unaffiliated, so far as I can tell). I don't know if this is an issue in regional areas of other countries, but it is something I know is always an issue here in Australia.

I am less concerned about using different airlines when they are in the same carrier group, such as Oneworld or Star Alliance to name the two with which I am most familiar. I don't think it matters whether this is arranged and ticketed by a travel agent or online personally.

What I think is more problematic is when you have to swap between carrier groups. This happens regularly for some of us in 'regional' Australia, where the local services from the international hub airports are dominated by Qantas (a Oneworld alliance member) and Virgin Australia (unaffiliated, so far as I can tell). I don't know if this is an issue in regional areas of other countries, but it is something I know is always an issue here in Australia.
All that really matters is that the carriers involved have interline agreements. If so, they can be ticketed together.

By definition all airlines in the same alliance have interline agreements with each other.

Yep. I generally don’t have a choice as there are very few direct flights to Europe from my city. I make sure I have at least 3 inconvenient hours between flights.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yep. I generally don’t have a choice as there are very few direct flights to Europe from my city. I make sure I have at least 3 inconvenient hours between flights.
Having connecting flights is fine, as long as they are on the same ticket. Then, the airline (usually a partner of the issuing airline) is responsible for getting you to your destination if their flight delays cause you to miss a connection.

All that really matters is that the carriers involved have interline agreements. If so, they can be ticketed together.
@hawkeyepierce, you are correct, and there are many times when such agreements are in place and one will be on a single ticket, even if the individual airlines are from different carrier groups.

What I get more concerned about is the practical aspect of transferring between the different airlines when that happens. Checked bags have to be transferred from the handling facilities of one group to another, often requiring manual handling in the process. Even for well connected airport terminals, the different carrier groups normally seem to be located as far apart as might be possible, etc. Perhaps that is a bleak assessment, but you might get the gist of my concerns. Not allowing sufficient time between these connexions is a recipe for disaster.

I have never flown from Santiago, as I prefer to take the train to Madrid. Whether train or plane, I would never have a separate ticket arriving in Madrid on the same day I am supposed to fly out of Madrid. I prefer to go at least 24 hours in advance.

Porto has some reasonable fares connecting to Air Canada, if you don't mind an extra stop in Toronto. I would apply the same principles there (i.e. going to Porto the day before) but at least Porto is a lot closer to Santiago than Madrid is, so last minute issues should be easier to manage. Porto is also a very nice place to spend a day!
We were Hospitalero and tried to get transport to Madrid four days ahead, NOTHING on the weekend we went to A Coruna.

Agree with dougfitz. I have booked Madrid to Philly numerous times with American and separate flight from Santiago to Madrid, usually with Iberia (not sure if Iberia flys nonstop to Madrid anymore. I always left Santiago early morning for same day connection about 1300 in Madrid without any hassles. A few times I changed fights/train/city before the final flight from Madrid, and the separate ticket made this easy…..and for goodness sake, don’t check any baggage!!!

We were Hospitalero and tried to get transport to Madrid four days ahead, NOTHING on the weekend we went to A Coruna.
In recent years I have used the Kayak app to search for flights from Santiago back to the UK. If you tick the "add nearby airports" option when searching it will include flights from A Coruña and Vigo in the results. I've flown from A Coruña several times.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I only fly into Madrid, Lisbon, Barcelona or Paris depending on which camino I am doing. Then I take either a train or bus (This year from Barcelona to Somport to start the Aragones both. 35 Euro total. It was that much because I am staying one night in Barcelona and one in Zaragoza and I booked my seats also.) I will sleep in Barcelona the day I arrive near the train station to Zaragoza. I have already booked a return flight from Santiago to Barcelona 2 days before my scheduled departure home. That flight was $45US. For me the way I do it takes a lot of the stress out of the equation. Also I do not like to start a camino because those transcontinental flights knock me out. Worldwide inflation has really raised prices. The flight cost the same as last Decembe when I paid $25US. Now they are charging me to bring my backpack on board. This never happened before. I go on the Iberia website.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In looking at multi city flights for a trip next year, it seems that with very few exceptions departing out of Santiago adds significantly to the price. Can anyone suggest an airline that flies to Western Canada that also would include Santiago? I know there are cheap flight to Madrid, but it seems those would need to be booked separately which has its own risks. Would you book a Ryanair flight that gets into Madrid at 8am for a Madrid departure at 1:00pm? Or go the night before? Th
Today, took the train from Madrid Charmartin to Santiago. The trip was about 3.5 hours on the high speed (I think that is the Avant). It required a train change in Ourense, but the Santiago Train was waiting in the station in Ourense even though it did not leave for 15 minutes after we boarded. It was about 100 meters walk to the Santiago train.
And the Renfe ticket included the trip from the Madrid airport to Charmartin - but you have to take the Renfe train to Charmartin, not the Metro.
In Santiago you arrive at the downtown train station right near (a 5 euro cab ride) the old section of Santiago. We are staying next to Abastos.
One price, no extra addons, reliable, great views of the country at 150mph and only one stop at Zamora for 5 minutes..

Others can tall you about RyanAir.

Just did this actually...had a flight from Santiago to Madrid scheduled in the morning and a flight to United States in the afternoon. Flight from Santiago was cancelled so took the train a day before, spent the night and flight home was going to be 4 hours late so was rebooked, what a hassle. But the train to Madrid was a keeper. Will do that again next time.

I would never book a Ryanair flight from Santiago to Madrid but would opt for bus or train and spend a night in Madrid to be sure.
Can I ask why you wouldn't fly from Santiago to Madrid? Is the domestic airline unreliable?
I am wondering as I need to plan my return trip for next June.......

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can I ask why you wouldn't fly from Santiago to Madrid? Is the domestic airline unreliable?
I tend to agree with @SabineP. Nothing to do with airline reliability but it’s probably quicker end to end by surface transportation. Folks generally get to the airport hour or so before but only 15 mins for trains. Stations are more central, etc! More ‘back up options’ by rail too. I guess it depends on whether you are connecting straight away or spending some time in Madrid!

Ive flown Santiago to Madrid several times without problem. Its always great as the airport is usually full of pilgrims.

Ive flown Santiago to Madrid several times without problem. Its always great as the airport is usually full of pilgrims.
Agree. Like I said earlier, every time I flew from Santiago in the morning I was able to connect about noon in Madrid without a problem. Magnitudes quicker than taking trains, transfers, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Try Aer Lingus via Dublin. Sometimes we fly to Dublin enjoy the evening there and fly the next morning to the states all on one ticket.

I believe the comment was specifically about Ryanair --- I live in North america and am unfamiliar with Spain's domestic airlines -- are there others that fly between Santiago & Madrid? If so, which do you use?

I believe the comment was specifically about Ryanair --- I live in North america and am unfamiliar with Spain's domestic airlines -- are there others that fly between Santiago & Madrid? If so, which do you use?
Iberia Express also operate the route. For me it is a trade off between rail and plane in terms of ease and if price comes into play then bus enters the consideration set. We will all have our preferences!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Iberia Express also operate the route. For me it is a trade off between rail and plane in terms of ease and if price comes into play then bus enters the consideration set. We will all have our preferences!
Price & ease to get to the station / airport are definitely factors but reliability is uppermost in my mind. I would hate to travel to the Santiago airport out in Lavacola to catch a flight to Madrid only to find out it had been cancelled. Then I'd probably have to go back to Santiago & try catch a train to Madrid in order to catch my booked overseas flight.
*** Bottom Line: Do you (or anyone) know if flight cancellations between Santiago and Madrid happen often.

Bottom Line: Do you (or anyone) know if flight cancellations between Santiago and Madrid happen often.
A woman I met last week had her Saturday afternoon/evening flight to madrid cancelled only a few days before the trip. She had to work on Sunday but was able to get a flight to get home about two hours before she had to work.

I do not know what airline it was but I’m assuming it was one of the low cost lines. I would stick with Iberia if it’s a big concern, because I think they are much less likely to do a last minute cancellation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wh
A woman I met last week had her Saturday afternoon/evening flight to madrid cancelled only a few days before the trip. She had to work on Sunday but was able to get a flight to get home about two hours before she had to work.

I do not know what airline it was but I’m assuming it was one of the low cost lines. I would stick with Iberia if it’s a big concern, because I think they are much less likely to do a last minute cancellation.
Why do you think a low cost airline is more likely to cancel than a non low cost airline?

Wh

Why do you think a low cost airline is more likely to cancel than a non low cost airline?

That’s definitely been my experience with flights in Spain, just comparing Iberia/Iberia Express to the low costs, but the “N” is very small. If you’re suggesting that‘s not the case, of course you’re right if what you’re thinking of is the huge debacle of cancellation chaos that the major airlines have had in the US recently.:p

That’s definitely been my experience with flights in Spain, just comparing Iberia/Iberia Express to the low costs, but the “N” is very small. If you’re suggesting that‘s not the case, of course you’re right if what you’re thinking of is the huge debacle of cancellation chaos that the major airlines have had in the US recently.:p
No more just the assumption that low cost airlines cancel more than non low cost, for which I don’t see any evidence of. Not really factoring in recent events post Covid as it is so difficult for airlines at the moment!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
if i'm reading this correctly, you're asking about going FROM Santiago BACK TO Madrid at the completion of your Camino. If so, I'm in the camp of "take the train, it's inexpensive, efficient, and fairly pleasant even if you have to change trains because they make it super easy."

If that doesn't work for you, I'd do a disconnected airline ticket. I did this when I arrived for my Camino at the end of August. It was a 1-way from Madrid to San Sabastian, and was easy-peasy. All Iberia, but not the same ticket. I agree with others that you need time at the airport, so picking a flight/airline from Santiago that lands at T4 would be good, since I think all international flights depart from TS (reached via T4).

Note: I left Madrid yesterday after a post-camino vacation and saw loads of people who missed their trans-Atlantic flights. Maybe because many Madrid streets closed for Día de la Hispanidad (we left early for airport and sailed thru passport control), but always good to leave a couple hours' gap to get to your flight.

I'd would take the chance but using Iberia Airlines instead of Ryanair. Iberia Airlines is part of Oneworld Alliance. We took Iberia Airlines last month from Santiago to Madrid - it was very affordable and on-time.

I'd would take the chance but using Iberia Airlines instead of Ryanair. Iberia Airlines is part of Oneworld Alliance. We took Iberia Airlines last month from Santiago to Madrid - it was very affordable and on-time.
Why would you use Iberia and not Ryanair?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would never book a Ryanair flight from Santiago to Madrid but would opt for bus or train and spend a night in Madrid to be sure.
You could spend the day in Santiago if you wanted then the night train to Madrid , otherwise I would get the train say mid afternoon as I would never trust a flight connection first thing .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My travel agent has always advised avoiding low fare companies (especially if they are a fairly new start-up or even new to a region/route) as it has been her experience also that they either cancel flights / route or end up going out of business altogether. That has happened to a few smaller companies in our region.

My travel agent has always advised avoiding low fare companies (especially if they are a fairly new start-up or even new to a region/route) as it has been her experience also that they either cancel flights / route or end up going out of business altogether. That has happened to a few smaller companies in our region.
There is a world of difference between start up regional companies and established airlines that people like to bracket as ‘low cost’ many having strong balance sheets, and hundreds of aircraft either owned or leased. Many of them then have very competitive cost bases and aren’t likely to go anywhere anytime soon!

From a regulatory standpoint they are subject to the same penalties if they cancel routes/flight, and are no more likely to pull off routes than other carriers!

and are no more likely to pull off routes than other carriers!

I would love to see some statistics, do you have any ideas about where we could find them to compare, say, how many flights Iberia has cancelled this year vs. some of the low cost carriers in Spain? By cancelled, I don’t mean removing a flight from the regular schedule, like the much mourned loss of the 6 am Iberia flight from Santiago to Madrid. I mean getting an email a few days before your flight saying, so sorry.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would love to see some statistics, do you have any ideas about where we could find them to compare, say, how many flights Iberia has cancelled this year vs. some of the low cost carriers in Spain? By cancelled, I don’t mean removing a flight from the regular schedule, like the much mourned loss of the 6 am Iberia flight from Santiago to Madrid. I mean getting an email a few days before your flight saying, so sorry.
I have no idea if they are publicly available tbh. Sorry!

I would love to see some statistics
Really? It appears keeping international data is a lucrative business, and companies doing that expect to be paid for the privilege of using their data. There are some national statistical collections I found that don't cover Europe. Those for US airlines is here, and for Australia here.

Really? It appears keeping international data is a lucrative business, and companies doing that expect to be paid for the privilege of using their data. There are some national statistical collections I found that don't cover Europe. Those for US airlines is here, and for Australia here.
Thank you @dougfitz. Well you did ask @peregrina2000 !! I am sure we can rely on you for a two page summary by 0900 EST tomorrow morning?!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My practice has been to fly into and out of a major hub airport and then as separate bookings deal with getting to the start point and from the end point. This might be a little more complicated, but I always find it less expensive. Adding a leg from Santiago (or Trondheim when I walked the St Olavs Ways) to a booking with a full service, long haul carrier is a recipe for paying through the nose. I suspect that this will be the same for long-haul flights from Canada as it is from Australia.
This gives me the option to use other travel options like a train, as well as the many low-cost carriers. It also exposes flight options from other carrier networks which typically won't be shown as preferences when booking the long-haul legs because they aren't in the same network as the long-haul carrier.
Hi Doug, what has been your experience flying in and out of Paris CDG for the CF? Many thanks.

Hi Doug, what has been your experience flying in and out of Paris CDG for the CF? Many thanks.
Not sure what you are asking here. I flew with a friend on the way over, and we took a bus to Gare Montparnasse, the train after that and arrived in SJPP in the early evening. The Pilgrim Office stayed open to process all of us who came in on the train. My friend and I walked to Roncesvalles the next day on Route Valcarlos and then on to Santiago.

At the end of my Camino, I visited my son in London, and then took the train to Paris and stayed a few days before flying back to Australia. My flight to London was on Ryanair. My wife booked this when it was clear when I would arrive in SDC. I booked the other transport once I was in London.

Paris was chosen because it was the cheapest option at the time. The return trip was booked through a travel agent. I have flown into other cities for different reasons on various pilgrimage walks, and organised to get from wherever I arrive to where I will start walking. I don't find this particularly complex or demanding. Unless there are some particularly complex connexions, neither my wife nor I would use a travel agent these days.

That said, it is clear from the questions that are raised here that many members seem to be concerned about organising their own travel. It is clearly an option to use an agent, and it might add to individual's comfort with the process doing that, even if I wouldn't do that myself any more. If anything, in my most recent experience using a travel agent they became more an encumbrance than anything else. Unfortunately, the flights were part of a rewards package with my credit card provider, and I wasn't able to avoid using their agency.

Last edited:
There are insanely cheap flights around Europe but not with the same airline and not necessarily where or when you want. I think you will have to fly to Europe then get busy on the internet to find the best deal to get to where you want, when you want. The only really useful tip I can give you is hop on the train from Santiago to A Coruna; it’s 30 minutes and they have an international airport. It’s also a pretty cool city if you know where to look.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sept, 2022 I flew Ryanair from Santiago and arrived Madrid 8:00am for a 10:00am connection to JFK in NYC. I made the flight but it was tight. Madrid is a complicated airport depending on your terminal. You'll have time to make a 1pm connection.

BTW, hiking sticks cannot be carried on the plane in Santiago.

Not sure what you are asking here. I flew with a friend on the way over, and we took a bus to Gare Montparnasse, the train after that and arrived in SJPP in the early evening. The Pilgrim Office stayed open to process all of us who came in on the train. My friend and I walked to Roncesvalles the next day on Route Valcarlos and then on to Santiago.

At the end of my Camino, I visited my son in London, and then took the train to Paris and stayed a few days before flying back to Australia. My flight to London was on Ryanair. My wife booked this when it was clear when I would arrive in SDC. I booked the other transport once I was in London.

Paris was chosen because it was the cheapest option at the time. The return trip was booked through a travel agent. I have flown into other cities for different reasons on various pilgrimage walks, and organised to get from wherever I arrive to where I will start walking. I don't find this particularly complex or demanding. Unless there are some particularly complex connexions, neither my wife nor I would use a travel agent these days.

That said, it is clear from the questions that are raised here that many members seem to be concerned about organising their own travel. It is clearly an option to use an agent, and it might add to individual's comfort with the process doing that, even if I wouldn't do that myself any more. If anything, in my most recent experience using a travel agent they became more an encumbrance than anything else. Unfortunately, the flights were part of a rewards package with my credit card provider, and I wasn't able to avoid using their agency.
Thanks for taking the time to answer Doug, it was a bit of an open question! For me, researching and organising the logistics to get to/from the expedition is all part of the adventure and I prefer to do it myself, gleaning information from the internet, and wise counsel from forums etc. I'll probably fly into Paris, train to STJPDP, then fly Vueling back to Paris from Santiago. I've allowed extra $$ in the budget to change my international flights should I be early or delayed for any reason. Cheers, Ian.

I did Ryanair to Heathrow London and then direct back to Calgary

Low-cost airlines have weird airports. Right now, RyanAir flights out of Paris go mostly from Beauvais, which is not at all easy to get to. So coming from NA, using low cost has two disadvantages: they are not available for one-ticket connecting flights (RyanAir, EasyJet, etc) and they usually dont connect at the big airports where the large airline‘s hubs are located (LHR, CDG, etc).
If you’re ready to spend a night, you can save a decent amount - usually two or three times the cost of a 2star hotel….
Porto is a great option. I’ve done that twice. Air Transat

Sooooo.... I just did essentially this. I had the early 6:10 am RyanAir flight out of SdC and AC 825 Madrid to YYZ....
Normally, like many others on the thread, I prefer the train.... but this time I simply could not get a ticket on the train that was going to work (Sunday departures out of SdC were nil, so that meant heading to Madrid on Saturday and flying out Monday... which was going to cost me about $250 more in CAD for hotels and the train fare than staying put in SdC and enjoying it). Ryanair was inexpensive -- so much so that I even bought the empty seat next to me when that was put on offer.
The only horrible part was leaving domestic arrivals and getting to the baggage drop for Air Canada at Madrid. It was both Byzantine and Kafkaesque. I was shuttled THREE TIMES down the hall, through security, passport clearance and spit right back out to where I started. Finally, I went to the full customs clearance area I had initially used when arriving from Canada... *exited* the building after baggage, and then re-entered the terminal for my baggage drop at the AC wicket.
Had I had less time between the flights, I'd have missed my flight home, so that spread of 4+ hours was very very helpful where AC was not.
Honestly... there's no signage for those connecting on domestic flights for how to get to the international/transatlantic flights and it was very very stressful.
Would I do it again? Yes... if I had to... i.e., if the trains simply were not working out for me.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
1. Carbon.
2. Ease. There's no need to fly. The train is fast and very comfortable. The time almost evens out, given there are hours ahead of time getting to the airport, checking in, going through security, then waiting at the gate - then after the flight collecting luggage and getting into Madrid or to another terminal.

That said, I've flown direct from SdC to Dublin and Zurich - on Aer Lingus and Swiss Air. Both were super convenient for connecting flights.

I just did essentially this. I had the early 6:10 am RyanAir flight out of SdC and AC 825 Madrid to YYZ....
I'm sure that this works out in the majority of cases, but for me the risk of losing my expensive transatlantic flight is too much.
Since the tickets are not a true connection you would need to purchase a new one way ticket home at last minute prices if you missed your flight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm sure that this works out in the majority of cases, but for me the risk of losing my expensive transatlantic flight is too much.
Since the tickets are not a true connection you would need to purchase a new one way ticket home at last minute prices if you missed your flight.
First of 5 caminos in which I’ve flown out. I always prefer the train, but this time I simply could not avoid either being a day late or two days early if I kept to the train. Tickets were sold out for the train I needed way back in August… So… flying was it. I used to live in Europe and became accustomed for business to using all the little commuter flights and found them very reliable. More so than AC actually.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to answer Doug, it was a bit of an open question! For me, researching and organising the logistics to get to/from the expedition is all part of the adventure and I prefer to do it myself, gleaning information from the internet, and wise counsel from forums etc. I'll probably fly into Paris, train to STJPDP, then fly Vueling back to Paris from Santiago. I've allowed extra $$ in the budget to change my international flights should I be early or delayed for any reason. Cheers, Ian.
This each and every time! It cannot be said strongly enough.

No
First of 5 caminos in which I’ve flown out. I always prefer the train, but this time I simply could not avoid either being a day late or two days early if I kept to the train. Tickets were sold out for the train I needed way back in August… So… flying was it. I used to live in Europe and because accustomed for business to using all the little commuter flights and found them very reliable. More so than AC actually.
No one is saying they are not reliable! >95% of flights operate and >85% operate on time, Folks are just outlining the level of risk! Its different flying NA to Europe of course as folks are just risking the much cheaper short haul sector!

I am wondering as I need to plan my return trip for next June.
As this discussion is dragging on a bit ☺️ ... as others have already said, the comment, in all likelihood, had nothing to do with reliability, punctuality or frequency of cancellation of flights. The airline in question has actually an above average record as far as I can see, and has millions and millions of customers who have flown with them and will fly with them again. But it is a comment that I could have made, too. Low cost has a price but you don't see that in your purse. In this case, my reasons would have to do with what I have read about this airline's attitude to compliance with labour law and fairness and with my increasingly critical view of short and medium distance flights when there are alternatives.

FWIW, this site (there are many others) has a route map for Santiago, showing you all the destinations that you can reach on a direct flight; it also has a list of the airlines flying to and from this airport. Ryanair is the largest airline here by counting the number of departures with around 75 scheduled take-offs every week. The second largest operator from Santiago is Vueling. As this website shows, Santiago to Madrid is served by Ryanair, Iberia Express and Iberia.

Flights from SCQ.jpg

Last edited:
Just do do the multi-trip option. We flew from Calgary to Paris return, then booked a flight one-way from Santiago back to Paris before our return flight home. That way you can spend some time in Paris if you like. As a note, we flew from Paris via Easy Jet to Biarritz then got a transport to St Jean to start the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back