• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Flights to France from the UK

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
Is anybody from the UK planning to fly to France to start the Camino?
I am booked on a flight to Biarritz on the 3rd July but France yesterday announced any visitor from the UK would have to quarantine on arrival...
Back to the drawing board 🙄

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a ferry booked for early August as part of a Avenue Verte (London/Paris) plus Voie de Tours but it is a long term project so it can wait.

I am booked on a flight to Biarritz on the 3rd July but France yesterday announced any visitor from the UK would have to quarantine on arrival...
I had a look a few days ago. To be honest I got confused between what the airlines, the UK government and the French government were saying. All very contradictory😳

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd July is a while away yet( well five weeks) a lot could happen, it was like this last summer when the shock of the virus was still fresh and there was no vaccine, then situations seemed to open very quickly after looking closed.
Bon Chemin

We fly from Canada to UK, overnight there and then on to Biarritz the following day. August 17th for us, so hoping things lift as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We fly from Canada to UK, overnight there and then on to Biarritz the following day. August 17th for us, so hoping things lift as well.
It would be brilliant if the 10 day quarantine in the UK is lifted by the time you go - we're intending to fly from Edmonton 2 weeks after you.

At present non-essential travel from the UK to France is banned.

I have a ferry booked for early August as part of a Avenue Verte (London/Paris) plus Voie de Tours but it is a long term project so it can wait.
P&O have suspended their foot passenger service Dover-Calais . What route are you going? (I am genuinely interested)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Dom,
I have felt that 2022 would be a better option for me as the situation changes like the weather. At the moment France and Spain are not on the governments "Green list" and there doesn't seem to be any encouragement that it might change at the next review.
With all the uncertainties I am just waiting and I would like to go....anywhere.

Fly to Bilbao and transport back in stages to Roncesvalles.

Or fly to Barcelona, bus or train to Pamplona. If ok by then in France, go to St JJPdP. If not, start Camino in Spain (Roncevalles or Pamplona).😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
:rolleyes:

People.

First, please drop this kind of "advice" ...

Secondly, please find out which rules exactly applies to you. Or, if you give advice to someone, find out which rules exactly apply to that person. For example, find out first whether @domigee will travel on the basis of a French passport or an EU passport or a UK passport or another passport ...

Third, WHEN does a rule apply to WHOM?
  • Right now, from the point of view of the French government, trips from the UK are allowed for anyone, non-essential or not, and they have to declare on their obligatory travel form that they will self-isolate for 7 days.This counts as a sworn declaration.

• As of this Monday 31 May 2021, travellers from the UK can enter France only when they have a pressing reason to travel and touristic reasons are not accepted. However, holders of French passports and some other categories will be allowed to enter for any reason of travelling, and they have to self-isolate for 7 days.

• As of 3rd July - that's FIVE weeks from today -, the date for which the OP has booked a flight from the UK to France? Most likely the rules will have changed drastically by then, especially since it's after the date of 1st July. The OP may be allowed in if she is vaccinated and she will not have to quarantine. We don't know for sure yet because the French government hasn't announced anything yet or hasn't confirmed this yet.
See, it's quite easy to understand.

Last edited:
"To be honest I got confused between what the airlines, the UK government and the French government were saying. All very contradictory"

How is it contradictory? 'Don't travel unless it's urgent' is the message from both Governments. How is going on a Camino urgent? It's so you and others stay safe. The "it's so contradictory" stuff comes from people who don't think they have to follow any advice from anyone unless it's a law, that their right to a holiday trump's anything else.

You might get lucky by July though.

"To be honest I got confused between what the airlines, the UK government and the French government were saying. All very contradictory"

How is it contradictory? 'Don't travel unless it's urgent' is the message from both Governments. How is going on a Camino urgent? It's so you and others stay safe. The "it's so contradictory" stuff comes from people who don't think they have to follow any advice from anyone unless it's a law, that their right to a holiday trump's anything else.

You might get lucky by July though.
Exactly! "Contradiction" sure sums it up...the word "frustration" might as well be included as a new synonym. It applies to all of us, not just the UKer's.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
P&O have suspended their foot passenger service Dover-Calais . What route are you going? (I am genuinely interested)

Newhaven-Dieppe to complete the Avenue Verte then onto the Voie de Tours (in a year or so). I'll have a cycle with me so that may make a difference.

Just checked the DFDS site for a trip to France this evening and back tomorrow and it is accepting bookings.

Would this also pertain to transferring passengers as well?????

I’m not sure? We could potentially fly out the same day to Biarritz but really enjoyed a nice Marriott overnight in London. I guess time will tell.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Planning for September so hope this will change by then. However I did read in the Guardin that in France we will be required to show the border guards an accommodation slip that you have to obtain from your provider of accom!! This apparently has to be obtained by the accommodation provider and sent to you which can take a month in France to get done!! I read this this week and will see if I can find the link. We thought that may be set off from Spain if we have to do all that!

This apparently has to be obtained by the accommodation provider and sent to you which can take a month in France to get done!! I read this this week and will see if I can find the link. We thought that may be set off from Spain if we have to do all that!
A link is not necessary. There've been already posts about this on the forum. Instead of another link to news media it would be better to find UK tourists and UK pilgrims who would be able to report that they've actually been asked to provide such proof when travelling to France this year! They will be harder to find than a needle in a haystack.

Last edited:
Similar misinformation about a need for invitation letters and assorted rumours have been circulating on social media and in the press in connection with travel between the UK and Spain in recent weeks.

An article in the English language edition of El Pais of 28 May 2021 tries to clarify the actual situation and to calm frayed nerves. Although, regrettably, the writer implies that such proof could perhaps be required in some vague distant future :rolleyes:. He rightly points out, though, that Britons are now in the same category of travellers as visitors from third countries such as the USA or Australia to name a few, [who] have not been asked for an invitation letter on arrival in Spain.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A link is not necessary. There've been already posts about this on the forum. Instead of another link to news media it would be better to find UK tourists and UK pilgrims who would be able to report that they've actually been asked to provide such proof when travelling to France this year! They will be harder to find than a needle in a haystack.
Thanks for the advice, didnt look for the link and will look at official guidance for further info.

Hopefully all Quarantines will be a thing of the past by August, but as far as I am aware if you just transition thru UK to France then the UK rule does not apply - your home country is then applicable. Trouble is your overnight stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back