• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flip flops in the shower

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yep, flip-flops "could probably helps" preventing fungus etc. but they can also make you a paraplegic or even worse. Be VERY careful when wearing flip-flops on any wet surface!!!
Absolutely @KinkyOne, a friend of my brothers did and in Astorga slipped in the shower and cracked his head open. Many stitches!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Better than flip flops in a shower room are these oh-so-stylish EVA Birkenstocks! Light as a feather, can attach them to your bag, go from shower to dinne seamlessly, and you can even walk in them drying the day (with or without socks ) as they do have the famous Birkenstock support.C5A2FBD4-4B1B-408E-BD95-C09FE7ACCF9F.jpeg

I second the EVA Birkenstock recommendation. I recently obtained a pair and find them very comfortable.

Also, if you do NOT wear something like a flip flop or shower slide in a communal shower, you WILL get a fungal infection.

While easily treated, it is easier to avoid contracting in the first place. Why introduce this adversity into your Camiño if it is not absolutely unavoidable?

Hope this helps.

Also, if you do NOT wear something like a flip flop or shower slide in a communal shower, you WILL get a fungal infection.

That's a pretty strong statement. I've always gone barefoot in the showers in albergues with no issues. And sandals aren't going to protect you when standing in two inches of water in a slow draining shower.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That's a pretty strong statement. I've always gone barefoot in the showers in albergues with no issues. And sandals aren't going to protect you when standing in two inches of water in a slow draining shower.
And if it happens I don't think that even fungus can survive a month and a half in hiking boots in the summer ;)

PS (Just a joke, not a piece of advice or similar of course.)

And if it happens I don't think that even fungus can survive a month and a half in hiking boots in the summer ;)

PS (Just a joke, not a piece of advice or similar of course.)

Oddly, despite the fact that nice, hot, steamy boots would be fungi’s preferred environment, something my doctor diagnosed as ‘fungal’ only comes to life in the summer, when I wear sandals all the time (Merrells, Tevas, Birkies etc). As soon as my feet are safely ensconced in boots, when the weather turns too cold for sandals, it disappears .... :rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I posted the NYT link because I thought it was interest to some. I do not use flip flops in the shower because of the hazard others have mentioned. I think the best way to avoid a fungus infection is very short toenails and absolutely dry feet before putting on socks and boots. I do wear flip flops after showering which helps allow the feet to dry completely. Fungi thrive in a dark, moist environment.

No flip flops, or thongs as us Aussies call them, and a dab of Tea Tree Oil helps keep any fungus away!
I'm from the US and grew up calling them thongs too. But when the thong type underwear and bathing suits became popular everyone started calling them flip flops. In my mind they are still thongs.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's my experience too, @trecile. I've only ever gotten athlete's foot from my own rubber boots.:oops:
Just saying, @t2andreo...but maybe others are more susceptible than we are?

I allow that it is possible. Each person should wear what they chose, or not. The consequences are what they are. I may, as may others, indeed be more susceptible to these infections that some.

Upthread, someone mentioned carrying a tube of anti fungal cream. This seems very wise to me. I ditched my flip-flops after only a few days into the last trip because I was terrified of breaking my neck.
I’ve never had any kind of foot fungus, but I learned somewhere along the line that the bad cheese smell of many athletic shoes is the fungus’ fault. If the boot storage area at Roncesvalles is any indication, many people are walking around with active infections.
Why?
I always carry the cream now, and I will pop it on my feet after any communal shower. it’s not the kind of thing one’s body can be harmed by, and the fungus cannot become immune to it (my understanding is that it starves the fungus of what it needs rather than that it causes mutation in the cells the way antibiotics do).
And folks, if your shoes reek, you need to do something about that. Clomitrazole is your friend. It’s not just a fact of sweaty feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've just discovered Oofos sandals. I have lots of foot problems and these are like light little supportive clouds on my feet. They were apparently designed as after exercise/recovery sandals. They weigh less than my Crocs. I think they may be going with me on Camino next fall!

I've not worn footwear into the showers and never had a problem. Never had any blisters either so I guess I'd better keep my fingers and toes crossed that my luck holds out! I have worn Croc sandals in the bathrooms and from the shower area to avoid slipping. My husband wears his sandals into our own shower--he says to keep them cleaner and better smelling. To each his own.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Better than flip flops in a shower room are these oh-so-stylish EVA Birkenstocks! Light as a feather, can attach them to your bag, go from shower to dinne seamlessly, and you can even walk in them drying the day (with or without socks ) as they do have the famous Birkenstock support.View attachment 45125
I like the look of Birkenstocks, and have purchased them a few times, but they absolutely hurt my feet. I am rather flatfooted and they have way too much arch support and the pre-formed hard insole does not work for the shape of my foot. Unfortunately they are not for everyone.

I feel more secure with flip flops in a shower than barefoot. I’ll be going the Birkenstock EVA route next time. They are comfortable and allow the wearing of socks on colder days. They are lighter than my Croc flip flops.

I second the Birkenstock EVAs, not just to avoid getting wet or dirty feet from albergue or bathroom floors, but to prevent slipping on the tiles. In some hostals and casas the shower is over the bathtub, and there isn't always a non-slip mat, so I go in with my Birkies on instead. They are lighter than other Teva type sandals, don't stay wet, are quick to slip on when you need the loo in the night and are great for after walk visits to the bar. One (well, two) of my essential pieces of kit!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Given the recommendations in this thread I'm considering purchasing a pair of these Birkenstock Arizona or maybe Gizeh EVAs, in preference to the very lightweight flip flops that I was going to take. As keeping the weight down is of paramount importance I'd like to know how much a pair of these Birkenstocks weigh. All I ever see is the word 'lightweight' with no further quantification anywhere to be found. So would anyone reading this be able to divulge the weight and size of the Birkenstocks that they have used on the Camino.?Many Thanks in advance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Better than flip flops in a shower room are these oh-so-stylish EVA Birkenstocks! Light as a feather, can attach them to your bag, go from shower to dinne seamlessly, and you can even walk in them drying the day (with or without socks ) as they do have the famous Birkenstock support.View attachment 45125
Thank you for this good tip-I ran to the shoe shop and bought the last pair! 20 g lighter than my old flip-flops, and much nicer:))

I have always detested flip flops, until my hot, hot feet demanded space after long camino days and I bought simple cheap chinese ones in the nearest store...
since 5 yrs ago, I have not worn anything else inside the house and out in any good weather as an antithesis to my feet being in boots.
I love my boots, but feet need space and the front muscle groups in my lower legs need workout as well which is what you do when your toes need to grip into the sandal soles.
Be it birkenstocks, crocs, jesus sandals, it´s like the different colours of the walls to me, just give my feet some space..
Furthermore they keep me from slipping in the shower....

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back