• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

flooding at arroyo de los Molinos north of Santiponce

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
The camino was under water by the torre de agua about 2 hours north of Santiponce. I went in a few yards but when the water got up to my waist gave up as the thought of slipping and soaking everything in my rucksack didn't appeal.

The detour was fairly horrible - I spoke to the farmer at the cortijo de Palmaraya and he said my only option was to go by the motorway. I expect it's illegal to do so, but I climbed over a (5' high) fence and walked along the autovia until the next service station, perhaps an hour.

It was not a pleasant walk, even tho' most of it was the other side of the crash-barrier from the traffic. Several cars blew their horns at me, but it is impossible to tell whether they were "get off the motorway, you blithering idiot" toots or just friendly "buen camino" ones. Either way, other than going all the way back to Santiponce, or swimming, I don't see what else I could have done.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Alan, sorry to hear about the river crossing. I crossed it back in the Spring and it was low,stagnant and stinking! I love the Via de la Plata at this time of year and hope that the weather is kind to you. Keep us up to date with your news.

Andrew.

Wow, Alan, that sounds like no fun. I've passed through twice, and was always able to cross by sitting down and shimmeying across a log, but it sounds like the water level was really high. For anyone else who finds the same situation, there is apparently a better way around it than taking your life into your hands on the autopista. I remembered reading about it before I walked the second time, and sure enough, here is another post: camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic3461.html

The directions translate as: Go to the N-630 (better than the autovia) and walk direction Merida; turn right at the gas station. This adds 5 kms.

What this arroyo needs is a Camino angel like Ender, who takes care of the Salvador so we can all enjoy it!

Glad you made it, Alan. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We had a similar experience in 2010, when the water was chest-high. We managed to get across only by following an athletic young woman who used debris - shrubs, branches - as support on the edge of the crossing. But it was still a fraught exercise, and half-way over we were wishing we hadn't started. It was more good luck than good judgment that we didn't have a mini-disaster. The good news is, that was it for the rest of the route as far as difficult water crossings were concerned.
I hope you're now in the ryhthm of the camino and are having a wonderul time.
wes.

I was there beginning of december, & i managed to cross the arroyo through the bushes on the right side :). No problemen at the moment.
ria

Hey Ria,
Ben je weer terug in Spanje :shock: ???
Would like to hear what you have been up to since this summer at l'Esprit du Chemin...send me a PM or e-mail me when you get a chance.
Un abrazo,
LT

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have tried crossing both on the right side in the woods and on the left side, and I would suggest trying the left side first, it was far superior in terms of providing a way across the water. That may have changed since I was there in 2010, of course, but before plunging through you should look on both sides. IMO.

Buen camino, Laurie

I crossed it twice. April 2006 and May 2010.
Just took off my pants socks and boots, put on my sandals and started across.
Above my knees both times... Above mid thigh on the second trip.

Enjoy it all.
David, Victoria, Canada.

In heavy rain I climbed the trees to the right to get over in May 2011, the next i had to go around, could not get over and walked through muddy fields to the brigde into the Guillena. But I thought it was more scary to pass the arroyos in the National Park a couple of days later, balancing on steppingstones with froading water around. next time I will go there in dry summerweather.
Randi

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I meant to post this picture a while since. In fact the first day of my camino now sometimes seems like half a lifetime ago. Much has happened in the meantime, and I expect it's back to a quiet ford, but this is what it looked like on 18 November - more of a Rio than an Arroyo, I'd say, and not far off 100 yards wide. I spoke to somebody who did ford it and he said it went up to his armpits, and he wasn't short.

Attachments

• santiponce.JPG
    santiponce.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 682
No problems on April 14th this year

Via%2520de%2520la%2520Plata%2520part%25201%2520047.jpg

It is interesting that this crossing has become the baptism for the via de la Plata.

In 2008 I managed to find a fallen tree trunk 50 meters to the left and crossed it without getting wet. In retrospect, I would be nice to see how deep it was.

So yes, I have in a way cheated and skipped the rite.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is interesting that this crossing has become the baptism for the via de la Plata.

In 2008 I managed to find a fallen tree trunk 50 meters to the left and crossed it without getting wet. In retrospect, I would be nice to see how deep it was.

D-NNqfx-MCm8NlMHQvF1WfMPFERH5Oh7agm0uhZjVxs

So yes, I have in a way cheated and skipped the rite.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back