A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Flooding in Galicia

2020 Camino Guides

alansykes

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés
There's a lot of very nasty weather about. 110km winds, snow from about 800m, flood warnings in all four of Galicia's provinces. The hot baths on the Miño at Ourense are closed because of high water, the Xallas has burst its banks, the Ulla and the Tambre look likely to.

I chickened out after 13km at Verín: over four hours in fairly continuous horizontal sleat - with wet glasses making irregular (blue?) arrows hard to spot - made the prospect of drying out in a warm hostal overwhelmingly more appealing than carrying on.

Can't really complain - it's been over 5 weeks since I crossed the Pyrenees and this is the first serious wet I've encountered. Hope everybody else is OK - there are reports of two pilgrims with a child missing near Foncebadon.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
There's a lot of very nasty weather about. 110km winds, snow from about 800m, flood warnings in all four of Galicia's provinces. The hot baths on the Miño at Ourense are closed because of high water, the Xallas has burst its banks, the Ulla and the Tambre look likely to.

I chickened out after 13km at Verín: over four hours in fairly continuous horizontal sleat - with wet glasses making irregular (blue?) arrows hard to spot - made the prospect of drying out in a warm hostal overwhelmingly more appealing than carrying on.

Can't really complain - it's been over 5 weeks since I crossed the Pyrenees and this is the first serious wet I've encountered. Hope everybody else is OK - there are reports of two pilgrims with a child missing near Foncebadon.
Wow! Sounds crazy.
I hope they find the pilgrims and child to be safe.

Onewithspirit

Camino(s) past & future
First one begins August 13 2017!

Hope you stay safe. And chickens have nothing to do with a wise decision to remove yourself from the ire of Mother Nature! 😉

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
See signature
Hope all you walking pilgrims are OK, take care, be safe.

Even in usually balmy Alicante, it is cold - more like February weather than mid-November.

Stephen

Camino(s) past & future
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.

Pretty miserable walking to Roncesvalles today. None stop rain until at higher altitude it turned to snow.
Tomorrow, to Zubiri, is there an alternative to the trail? Never easy at the best of times, it'll be muddy or covered with snow.

alansykes

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés
@Stephen this unpleasant weather front has passed over Galicia and it's been quite a nice day today, and the snow on the higher ground virtually disappeared by mid afternoon. I hope for your sake the same will be happening further east for you by tomorrow.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ourense to Santiago (2019), CF: (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001). On to Fisterra, (2002, 4, 14).
I love your dialogue, girlfriend!
You managed 3000 meters with your own two feet and some wet pants...good for you! Uh-huh!
The walk to Cea was fairly rain free, just a sprinkle here and there. The steady rain started after I made it to albergue.

However, the albergue in Cea is ice cold. I have a bag and two blankets and still chilly.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
The walk to Cea was fairly rain free, just a sprinkle here and there. The steady rain started after I made it to albergue.

However, the albergue in Cea is ice cold. I have a bag and two blankets and still chilly.
I've been known to wear all my layers in the bunks on occasion...but rarely. Glad to hear you only had to walk in sprinkles!

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 47 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 174 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 281 24.3%