• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flooding on the Camino

CykaUJ

Kenyan Heart, Russian Soul, Global Citizen
Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to Santiago to Muxia Feb 2016
I've posted this on my 'live on the camino' thread just now...

The trail at the 106.888 mark is flooded. I've used a sharpie on the arrow there and wrote 'flooded' with today's date, because you don't immediately see the flooding. It's about 500 or so metres down from that marker and is completely impassable. I tried to measure the depth of it with my stick and it's at least 20cm deep, with thorn bushes and swampy leaves on either side. Hopefully my marking won't wash away immediately and will save someone from having to trek down there and back. Other areas are tricky, but not impassable like this one was. With all the rain that's falling right now though, it may end up going from tricky to impassable in the next few days.

Before that, at 109.278, there is a sign in several languages that indicates a detour due to river overflow, and it appears that this sign has been there for awhile. This section is where an association has re-routed the Camino into the forest and off the secondary asphalt road, although this is not mentioned in Brierley's.

None of the cafes between Tui and Porrino were open, not even the one that's mentioned in the book in the Porrino industrial area. I'm finding it really hard to get my two stamps a day and wondering if I'm going to be refused the compostella.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sorry to learn of the flooding on the camino. Perhaps you could take photos of markers you pass as proof of your passage since stamps are difficult to obtain.
Stay safe.

Sorry to learn of the flooding on the camino. Perhaps you could take photos of markers you pass as proof of your passage since stamps are difficult to obtain.
Stay safe.

Ah that's a great idea with the photos, I have LOADS of those. Thank you for the suggestion!

As for the flooding, I am sure this is not uncommon for this time of year. Lots of extra km added every day though with all the diversions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Will you Post a pic of the flooded path? :)

It's my experience that if you have quite a few stamps they won't actually tally them you should be ok

image.jpeg
To the right is the fast moving river, so it was not possible to go around that way and to the left was pockets of deep water, as well as thorn bushes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
It doesn't look so bad in the pic, but you can't get around it on the right because the river is there and the flooding spills over to that. I gave it a good 15 min trying to find a way through/around, tried to build a little walkway on the edge with branches, but they just sunk.
If I had been closer to Porriño, I probably would have waded through it, but with another 8km to go, I didnt want to walk in soggy shoes that long.

Glad that you are safe! Could you sent a copy of your photo to where you stayed before you took it? The visual warning could help protect fellow pilgrims walking the route.

Glad that you are safe! Could you sent a copy of your photo to where you stayed before you took it? The visual warning could help protect fellow pilgrims walking the route.

You mean the hotel?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I forgot that it was a hotel in Valenca do Minho. Perhaps send photo with brief description of flood location to this email address of pilgrim albergue in VdM. Ask them to spread the news of the danger ahead.

www.albergue-valenca.pt.vu

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are now in Porrino ask your hosts to help you send word of flood back along the CP. Address I send above deoes not work.

If you are now in Porrino ask your hosts to help you send word of flood back along the CP. Address I send above deoes not work.
Will do, thank you!
I have posted it onto the Facebook of that albergue as well

Great! Thanks for your effort and update. Hope that your way up to Santiago is dryer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When we walked from Porto, locals told us it was the wettest Easter in 40 years. We basically waded, our shoes stayed wet until the day before Santiago...

I think I recognize your flooded river, we walked across it with water up to our knees. Next time, I'd wear crocs.

I cannot believe all the water/rain - when I walked Mar/April last year we had no rain at all - keep safe

When we walked from Porto, locals told us it was the wettest Easter in 40 years. We basically waded, our shoes stayed wet until the day before Santiago...

I think I recognize your flooded river, we walked across it with water up to our knees. Next time, I'd wear crocs.

I think this Feb might have one upped your wettest Easter! :D I am now in Pontevedra after starting out from Arcade this morning and managed to get 2-ish km in before coming to my first flooded pathway. I went back and took the train. Walked along the river there for all of 3 minutes before all the flooding there, then spent a few hours walking around Pontevedra darting in and out of places.
The guy in my hotel today has said it's best to arrange transport to somewhere called Alda or Alba, halfway to Caldas and pick up the Camino again from there because it's still pouring down here and people are sending reports back from Caldas that the not just the Camino, but some of the secondary asphalt roads are flooded. He said the three pilgrims that stayed here last night gave up today and went home.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a dilemma this morning. The very kind hotel manager has shown me all the overnight reports between here and Caldas and not just the Camino, but the roads are flooded as well. His earlier suggestion to go halfway by car and walk the rest has changed to 'if you were in a group, maybe you could try, but alone, don't do it, because it is flash flooding in very isolated areas. I have checked other albergues, there are no pilgrims walking today. Three went home yesterday from here'

He showed me video of two of the rivers that would need to be crossed, and the bridges are not even visible under the rushing water.
He has kindly offered let me stay until 2 and organise a bus for me, and I could use the morning to walk all over Pontevedra.
@ivar are you getting the same kind of reports of flooding? The video and newspaper he showed me was pretty bad. :( I am a pretty tough girl, but...

From the weather forecast predictions it would be advisable to wait out the storms. Stay safe where you are now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I walked this route last year there was considerable flooding on that same section shown here and also on the new diversion that takes you around the Industrial Estate at O Porrino.

FloodBySanTelmoCross.jpg

Be careful crossing rivers, a Canadian pilgrim was rescued by a Guardia Civil officer on this section last year after slipping on a temporary log river crossing.

Original Article in La Voz de Galicia

Google Translation of story said:
A civil guard saved his life this week in a 54-year-old Canadian national who was the Camino de Santiago in the company of her husband. The incident occurred on Tuesday in the parish of Ribadelouro when rainfall of previous days had raised both the level of the river reached more than 1.5 meters high and covered the bridge of Febres.

Pilgrims who passed through the place before they crossed using a trunk; In fact, even yesterday continued under the cross, recalling that at this point ill San Telmo, a sign written in English indicating how to access the alternative step. The danger was obvious from the flow, the force of the water and the rocks below, but still crossed as the couple had done before others. Just as the woman was going to reach the other side, slipped and fell face down on the riverbed St. Simon could not move.

The guard Aurelio Rodriguez Bargiela jumped into the water, joined the woman immobilized by the weight of the backpack and clothes and, after getting to react, led to solid ground, where her husband watched helplessly to the rescue. "Just took off his cap and jumped. I did not doubt she would have to throw myself because that's why you wear the uniform, "he explained yesterday at the same place on Tuesday lent life support. "When you're in the Civil Guard come to work, but to do a service or, at least, I feel well," he said.

Recognizes the satisfaction of accomplishment, but it naturally recognized. "No matter the profession or vocation you have, the important thing is to do well," he says. On the sequence of events on Tuesday recalled that the day started like any other. "We were going to do an inspection of the quarry where we met a group of pilgrims who were asked if we could cross the river," he recalls. "When we arrived there were people crossing a log, and women rushed upside down without being able to turn around," he explains. "My biggest fear was the stones on the bottom because I knew I could take much water the river," he says.

With 31 years of service behind him, this guard Tui has allowed women to continue their way. The Santiago thought of leaving it. "After the rescue quickly asked to leave for their country, but after a day of rest continued the pilgrimage," confirmed. "He gave me that hug was the best reward," he says. The rescue occurred on the bridge Febres where ill Palermo, named after the neighborhood in Buenos Aires born Aurelio Rodriguez.

Last edited:
When I walked this route last year there was considerable flooding on that same section shown here and also on the new diversion that takes you around the Industrial Estate at O Porrino.

View attachment 23957

Be careful crossing rivers, a Canadian pilgrim was rescued by a Guardia Civil officer on this section last year after slipping on a temporary log river crossing.

Original Article in La Voz de Galicia

That's the same section I posted about a few days ago. It was bad then and I backtracked to go around it. I'm on my own, so will not attempt any river crossings like that. I have yet to interact with any other pilgrims since I left Porto on the 4th. I saw a school group on the leg to Ponte de Lima, who were to stay in the same place as me in Tui, but the manager there told me they have abandoned the journey. The manager of the hotel in Pontevedra has told me that three Spanish pilgrims gave up yesterday as well.

Basically sticking to main roads is the option right now.

I am determined to get there on Monday come hell or high water.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm sending good vibes from hot and dry Sydney, but please don't take unnecessary risks - it is the journey that is important, not the destination.

Wow. Thanks for your updates.
I will be there next month. (!)
All the best to you...I'll be thinking dry thoughts.

CykaUJ, Sounds like a real deluge. Stay safe. I wonder if the Pilgrims Office will make a compostela exception for flooding. Good luck with the rest of your walk, even if you can't get the compostela, no one can take this accomplishment away from you. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow. Thanks for your updates.
I will be there next month. (!)
All the best to you...I'll be thinking dry thoughts.

Hopefully it will have dried out some by then! If it has, go erase my 'flooded-10/02/16' on the marker at 106.888 ! ;)

Bom Caminho!

CykaUJ, Sounds like a real deluge. Stay safe. I wonder if the Pilgrims Office will make a compostela exception for flooding. Good luck with the rest of your walk, even if you can't get the compostela, no one can take this accomplishment away from you. Buen camino, Laurie
Stubbornness got the better of me and I walked, albeit on the main road. Everything on either side was flooded, and the section where the main road meets the Camino where rios Chain and Barosa meet was just incredible. Might as well have been on a coastal route! I did not stop to take any pics, it was pissing down with the added bonus of heavy winds, so I was more concerned with not getting knocked down by cars or wind. The rio Umia is so swollen that you can't walk under the bridge and it seems to have swallowed a gazebo.
Exciting times!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congratulations! So glad to see that because I'm starting from Porto on Thursday. Really prefer walking to swimming... :)

I absolutely hope that you will see your shadow much more than I have!! Ask the albergues or hotels about the conditions further on when you get to Tui, in the last week I know everyone out there has been sending reports back to their previous accommodations (I certainly have). If any more rain falls between now and when you get to Tui, I would stay on the main road between there and O Porriño, for the first 5km from Arcade, and again between Pontevedra and Caldas de Reis. Especially if you are alone. The water is moving very fast in the flooded rivers and it is nowhere near roads where someone could see you if you have an accident. I have not seen any other pilgrims since I left Porto, so chances of someone else out there that will find you is pretty slim. Today I took my shoes off to cross what looked like a not so deep river just past the 37km mark, and nearly lost my balance on the slippy stones and fast moving water.

Would I do this again in Feb? Probably, but that's because I am a special kind of stupid! ;-)

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. Almost impossible to predict winter weather. Last year I walked the Camino Ingles in January with a friend. 5 days with a total of 20 minutes light rain. We actually had slight sunburn! Andy had walked at the same time the two previous years in near-constant rain and gale force winds. The luck of the draw.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. Almost impossible to predict winter weather. Last year I walked the Camino Ingles in January with a friend. 5 days with a total of 20 minutes light rain. We actually had slight sunburn! Andy had walked at the same time the two previous years in near-constant rain and gale force winds. The luck of the draw.
Luck of the draw indeed! I remember seeing @Albertinho 's post about how it rained on all of their caminos, but the weather in Porto and Vila do Conde was so gorgeous that I thought 'woohoo, I lucked out, it's gonna be sunny sailing all the way to Santiago!' Oops...

Btw, it's raining in Padrón now. I wish you a very safe journey!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wish you a safe journey. I am thankful that you have posted information about the flooding. God willing I will be walking Tui to SDC in April. I have been blissfully unaware of some of the challenges that may be before me. Thanks for the information.

CykaUJ - Will you please share how you felt as a woman walking alone? Did you feel safe? Were there areas you would give advice for solo peregrinas? Thank you.

Luck of the draw indeed! I remember seeing @Albertinho 's post about how it rained on all of their caminos, but the weather in Porto and Vila do Conde was so gorgeous that I thought 'woohoo, I lucked out, it's gonna be sunny sailing all the way to Santiago!' Oops...

Btw, it's raining in Padrón now. I wish you a very safe journey!
Have a drink at Pepe's bar in Padrón. Just opposite the albergue at the other side of the bridge. Everybody knows him. Or have your breakfast there tomorrow
Give him our regards. The Dutch who wrote on a Tshirt on the wall Pepe es loco ! Pepe is crazy :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have a drink at Pepe's bar in Padrón. Just opposite the albergue at the other side of the bridge. Everybody knows him. Or have your breakfast there tomorrow
Give him our regards. The Dutch who wrote on a Tshirt on the wall Pepe es loco ! Pepe is crazy :)

Bugger! I wish I'd seen this earlier! Am headed to sleep now and already told the manager here I'd have breakfast here (I'm at Rivera), but I will stop by Pepe's in the morning and have tea before I head out. Never can have enough tea!

Congratulations! So glad to see that because I'm starting from Porto on Thursday. Really prefer walking to swimming... :)
Watched the news this morning, Pontevedra was totally flooded and had mudslides yesterday. Hard to believe I was just there on Friday!

Please take care and keep in touch with us on your journey!

As for me, I am off to Santiago de Compostella now!

Thanks for the news. Lovely and sunny here in west Wales this morning. The forecast for later this week in Portugal and Galicia looks pretty good. I'm hoping that the route will be navigable by then. Or that I can find safe detours if necessary. Must be appalling for the local people hit by it all. At least the silly buggers like us who haven chosen to be there when things like this happen can just walk away from it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I find it ironic, joyfully ironic, that you started this journey apparently seeking the comfort or security an agency claims to provide and have ended up enduring so much more than most on the Camino, and all of it with a wonderful attitude. Good for you! Japan doesn't know what is comming its way!

I find it ironic, joyfully ironic, that you started this journey apparently seeking the comfort or security an agency claims to provide and have ended up enduring so much more than most on the Camino, and all of it with a wonderful attitude. Good for you! Japan doesn't know what is comming its way!

Couldn't agree more - your attitude is amazing! Good luck today.

That is so kind of you to say, thank you! :) The agency was indeed fairly useless, but I'll get into that with them once I've left Spain on Friday. It's more important for me to right now to just absorb everything I've experienced and enjoy my final days here.

Btw, @Bradypus , I've made a post in the Camino Portugues section, getting out of Padron and some crazy new diversions into SdC were heaps of fun. Hopefully you can make sense out of what I wrote!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
CykaUJ, This camino may not have been what you were expecting, but it sounds like it may have been exactly what you needed! I have a sneaking suspicion that this will not be your last Camino experience. Wishing you the very best in the next steps in your life, Laurie

CykaUJ, This camino may not have been what you were expecting, but it sounds like it may have been exactly what you needed! I have a sneaking suspicion that this will not be your last Camino experience. Wishing you the very best in the next steps in your life, Laurie
Laurie, I think she will be ready for the Shikoku when she moves to Japan. @CykaUJ , if you walk that route please report back!

Btw, @Bradypus , I've made a post in the Camino Portugues section, getting out of Padron and some crazy new diversions into SdC were heaps of fun. Hopefully you can make sense out of what I wrote!

Thank you - very kind! I hope I get far enough to use the information :) I leave home tomorrow and fly to Porto on Thursday morning. The weather forecasts look good at the moment. Itching to get back on the road!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you - very kind! I hope I get far enough to use the information :) I leave home tomorrow and fly to Porto on Thursday morning. The weather forecasts look good at the moment. Itching to get back on the road!

Bom Camino @Bradypus As time permits, please keep us update on your journey or at least provide us with an overview upon completion. I wish you the best!

May you have lots of dry weather so that your feet don't itch (or burn or blister) along the way. Please keep us posted, I'm kinda giddy at the thought of someone following in my footprints. Keep an eye out for shiny dots on various way marks. I might have something to do with those! ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
View attachment 24103 On my way. First morning out of Porto. Sun shining and barely a cloud to be seen. A touch of frost and cool air - just right for a brisk walk to get the circulation going :)
Wonderful!!!! May your shadow stay with you the entire journey. Looking forward to hearing more. Bom Caminho!

I cannot believe the flooding you are experiencing - so sorry for you but what a story to tell - just be safe and take extra care
Buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Congratulations! That was a fast walk did it include any of the coastal Route?

Didn't take the coastal route. I stayed on the central route. Very varied and very enjoyable. Also extremely quiet at this time of year.

Arrived in Santiago late last night after finding the albergue in Teo was closed. Not pleased! Just wanted to say that although I passed through some wet and muddy sections nowhere on the trail was more than ankle deep. Flooding definitely gone for the moment.
Congrats!! And WOW you are fast!

Great to hear flooding has gone, perhaps I should go back there. I am known to have mystical powers to bring out the worst in Mother Nature whereever I go (was in Japan for 2011 tsunami, New York for the record blizzard and heat waves, London for the snowstorm that shut down everything...)

Did you come across any other pilgrims?

Very few others. Max of 4 including me in the albergue in Rates. Very few walking either. Quiet at the moment.

Just rushing off. Urgent appointment with some caldo gallego and a plate of roast lamb :)

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back