• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Flooding on way to Villaviciosa 25 March

Jan_D

Time of past OR future Camino
Hola peregrinos!
Walked (most of the way) from La Isla to Villaviciosa today but some parts were impassable due to the very heavy rains. Got a lift for a stretch as locals said the path was completely flooded. In the pics you'll see what I had to navigate.
Was feeling a little traumatised, ha ha, but my patxaran has just arrived so I'm feeling better already!
Anyway I'd recommended avoiding this stage tomorrow Monday 26 March (weather is meant to improve from Tuesday onwards).

Attachments

• DSC_0272.JPG
    DSC_0272.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0270.JPG
    DSC_0270.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0258.JPG
    DSC_0258.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0257.JPG
    DSC_0257.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0256.JPG
    DSC_0256.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0255.JPG
    DSC_0255.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0273.JPG
    DSC_0273.JPG
    964.8 KB · Views: 65
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did you get to stay in an Albergue this evening or are you still finding them closed?

Did you get to stay in an Albergue this evening or are you still finding them closed?
Once I got to Villaviciosa I decided to skip tomorrow's stage and caught a direct bus to Gijon. After a few lone rural days I also figured I'd rather be stuck in a big city where I could ensconce myself in a vibey bar for the evening (mission accomplished).

As soon as my bus arrived I hobbled pathetically over to the closest hotel in my budget and they let me stay for €27.

I'd looked into albergues in Gijon but couldn't find much info (other than a room in the campsite on the outskirts of town?) Maybe someone has more info?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks. I've been using the Gronze site which is usually pretty up to date. They say the campsite in Deva (outside Gijon) has transformed some of their huts into an "albergue" (the reviews are pretty scathing). And apparently there's a private hostel on the outskirts of Gijon, not reserved for pilgrims, but €15 per night so quite pricey. Reviews are also really bad for some reason.

I've actually walked this stretch before, but can't comment on albergues as I shared hotel costs with fellow camino buddies. The albergues in this part of Asturias just seem to be rather awkwardly placed.

Anyway I remember enjoying the pilgrim albergue in Aviles, so will head there tomorrow. With the added treat of a Semana Santa procession through the old town in the eve!

Last edited:
Well done for wading through all that water! Walkers from the west of Ireland have the advantage here: we have webbed feet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back