• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flora and Fauna along the Camino Frances

Derekbarff

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2023
I am interested in observing the Nature along the Camino Frances in May 2023. Does anyone have information on the birds, insects, flora etc that may have been documented along the route from SJPDP to Santiago? Many thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh mate. Northern Spain in May. Migrating Raptors, Storks on every sticking-up thing, more Warblers than anyone can separate. Blood red poppies flooding the Meseta with the Cornflower waiting their turn for glory.

You'll be moving between near sea-level and 2000m in elevation, over clay, sandstone, granite and limestone landscapes. There’s Lions and Tigers and Bears - well, actually there isn't but there is bears (you'll not see one), Wolves (you'll be very lucky to see one), and sh*t loads of other stuff. I saw a Pine Martin while walking the Ingles.

There's various threads on here, try the search box: "snakes" will throw up some good hits.

If you want to delve deeper: https://www.google.com/search?q=fau...SwAEB2gEGCAEQARgJ2gEGCAIQARgI&sclient=gws-wiz

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am interested in observing the Nature along the Camino Frances in May 2023. Does anyone have information on the birds, insects, flora etc that may have been documented along the route from SJPDP to Santiago? Many thanks.
Who are Flora and Fauna? Is that the guitar singing duo or are these Greed gods of nature? I know what a faun is so I guess adding the 'a' at the end means it is a female lustful rural god.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love watching everything but know nothing! Spotted this in May, whilst I know (I presume) it is an insect anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• 20220527_110430 (2).jpg
    20220527_110430 (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
Love this post and question. I was on CF late June & July. Saw 2 mammals (not including cows, horses, sheep, dogs, and cats). Maybe it was to hot. But there were flocks of butterflies, some tiny hummingbirds, and black slugs the size of your finger in the damp areas--amazing. Favorite but common bird is a type of black and white crow. Fauna--wow. I made it my job to photograph every distinct plant for later identification (has not happened). Thistles of many shapes and sizes. Beautiful variety of grasses and wild flowers. A cool tree (that is not native to US) is a small-leaved lime or small-leaved linden. It has two different types of leaves (maybe one is a flower), and clusters of berry/seed pods. I'll be reading this post with interest!

Attachments

• IMG_8317.jpg
    IMG_8317.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Forgot about the herds of snails! They seem to like a plant that looks like dill (but is not). Here are the snails and one of the many slugs!

Attachments

• IMG_6472.jpg
    IMG_6472.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5802.jpg
    IMG_5802.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can read Jason Penner's The Way of the Gardener - an excellent Camino book and one of my favorites.

Saw a few deer , several snakes; lots of birds. Did not see any wild Boar but there are many cafes with Trophy boar heads on the walls so they are there somewhere. Not unusual to see bird hunters with their bird dogs in the fields--not sure what type of bird they are hunting.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I began my Camino Frances in SJdPP on April 30th of this year and finished in Santiago de Compostela on June 5th. I chose that time of year specifically because I hoped to take advantage of the Springtime floral display, and I was not disappointed! The Flanders poppies always brought a smile to my face, as did the yellow fields of rapeseed, aka mustard. Occasionally, I even saw some California native plants, such as Western Redbud. I was so glad I went when everything was green and in bloom! As for the fauna, I didn't see a whole lot of wildlife - a snake here, a few lizards there. However, I will take exception to Tinkatinker's comment above. There were days on the Meseta when I was swatting at flies all day long! Drove me out of my mind! The black and white birds mentioned above are magpies, and they're everywhere. And the vultures over and around the Pyrenees were amazing! Of course, all the usual domestic animals - cows, horses, sheep, dogs and cats. I don't have any other time of year to compare to, as that was my first and only Camino (so far), but from my experience the timing of your journey is just perfect! 😊

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I began my Camino Frances in SJdPP on April 30th of this year and finished in Santiago de Compostela on June 5th. I chose that time of year specifically because I hoped to take advantage of the Springtime floral display, and I was not disappointed! The Flanders poppies always brought a smile to my face, as did the yellow fields of rapeseed, aka mustard. Occasionally, I even saw some California native plants, such as Western Redbud. I was so glad I went when everything was green and in bloom! As for the fauna, I didn't see a whole lot of wildlife - a snake here, a few lizards there. However, I will take exception to Tinkatinker's comment above. There were days on the Meseta when I was swatting at flies all day long! Drove me out of my mind! The black and white birds mentioned above are magpies, and they're everywhere. And the vultures over and around the Pyrenees were amazing! Of course, all the usual domestic animals - cows, horses, sheep, dogs and cats. I don't have any other time of year to compare to, as that was my first and only Camino (so far), but from my experience the timing of your journey is just perfect! 😊
Next May I want to possibly observe all four of the Vulture species as I travel from SJDPP to Pamplona and then on to Santiago. Buen Camino.

Next May I want to possibly observe all four of the Vulture species as I travel from SJDPP to Pamplona and then on to Santiago. Buen Camino.
You’ll be lucky. Better start in Barcelona via Monserrat, slip up to the Norte and take the Lebaniego through the Picos. All four are to be seen in northern Spain but not along the Frances.
Good luck though. The sky is full of surprises. I watched Imperial Eagle from the terraza of a slightly sleazy bar in Jerez this spring.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Knowing that you are interested in seeing different types of vultures, I thought back to an excellent raptor center on Kangaroo Island, Australia and wondered if anything similar might be found along the Camino Frances. Here is something that might be promising - "Gurelur Fondo Navarro para la Protección del Medio Natural." It is based in Pamplona but also seems to have a site in Roncesvalles. Perhaps they might have helpful hints if you reach out with your interests? Buen Camino (and happy bird watching!)

On the first day of my first Camino I reached the border in the Pyrenees feeling overheated, dehydrated and nauseous. The fuente turned out to be dry. While I was feeling pretty sorry for myself I looked up and saw a pair of griffon vultures circling above my head. An incentive to at least pretend to be alive and carry on. :cool:

On my spring CF Camino, mid April to end of May, heard a ton of crickets as well as cuckcoos all day long. Loved them. The nattering storks were a treat in every village on every church. Tried my very best not to step on any snails and think I was successful, though they are truly all over the trail. Lots of butterflies and bees. Oh, saw one deer, maybe near Samos? Fish in some of the canals and clear creeks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Knowing that you are interested in seeing different types of vultures, I thought back to an excellent raptor center on Kangaroo Island, Australia and wondered if anything similar might be found along the Camino Frances. Here is something that might be promising - "Gurelur Fondo Navarro para la Protección del Medio Natural." It is based in Pamplona but also seems to have a site in Roncesvalles. Perhaps they might have helpful hints if you reach out with your interests? Buen Camino (and happy bird watching!)

Many thanks for that info. Interesting. Will follow it up.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back