• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flower (spring ?) camino -

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
Hi
I’m hoping to make a start on the VDLP in spring 2019. I would really like to time some of the walk to see flowers or at least red poppies in bloom ‘somewhere along the way’. (Hope I find what I’m looking for ) as soon as I thought these words I remembered they are from Dan Mullins’ new camino song !!!
Back to the subject though .,
1- are there areas along the way that are ‘stand out’ areas to see fields of poppies? I don’t expect to complete the Vdlp in one go .. maybe as far as Salamanca/Zamora .. first time and come back to continue along the Sanabrés.
Are flowers prevalent along there too at the right time of the year?
If not ., my thinking was that I could finish the walk in the autumn/fall and it wouldn’t mean I’d miss the poppies.

2- ??best time to see them at their best ? I walked CdM earlier this year (late March) and it was too early in the season I think.
I don’t want to start too late from Sevilla and run into extreme heat during the day further north but I don’t want to start too early and miss the colour.
How does first week of April sound ?

Aah!! The anticipation.!!
—-also — please put me straight if I’m in a dream world expecting flowers as I walk along the way.

Annie

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is this what you had in mind? May 3 on Mozarabe, upon entering Extremadura en route to Monterrubio.20180503_093100.jpg

I expect the best timing would be late April to early May in Extremadura. I walked also from Merida to Canaveral but didn't take photos of poppies there. Lots of wild lavender and other flowers, though.

I expect most of us have photos of the amazing poppies! C Clearly's photo was taken on 3rd May. This picture was taken on 9th May on the Ruta del Ebro ....

P1020785-001.JPG

They are amazing! I may just see some more next year, health permitting, on the Portuguese Coastal - but not if I'm looking out to sea!!!
Buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I started walking from Seville on 25 April, and the wildflowers were spectacular. Fields and fields. I actually loved the mixed fields of poppies, daisies (white, pink and yellow), cornflowers, and vetch. Then in the dehesa masses of lavender and cistus roses of different sorts. But I think my favourite was on the Sanabres - a boggy heath covered in wild orchids.

I hear there are wild peonies as well, sadly farm commitments mean I can't do a spring Vdlp so I have never seen the fields of flowers. But I make do with the Autumn crocus, small wild escapees from local saffron growers, makes me happy to see these cropping up on the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi
I’m hoping to make a start on the VDLP in spring 2019. I would really like to time some of the walk to see flowers or at least red poppies in bloom ‘somewhere along the way’. (Hope I find what I’m looking for ) as soon as I thought these words I remembered they are from Dan Mullins’ new camino song !!!
1- are there areas along the way that are ‘stand out’ areas to see fields of poppies? I don’t expect to complete the Vdlp in one go .. maybe as far as Salamanca/Zamora .. first time and come back to continue along the Sanabrés.
If not ., my thinking was that I could finish the walk in the autumn/fall and it wouldn’t mean I’d miss the poppies.

2- ??best time to see them at their best ? I walked CdM earlier this year (late March) and it was too early in the season I think.
I don’t want to start too late from Sevilla and run into extreme heat during the day further north but I don’t want to start too early and miss the colour.

—-also — please put me straight if I’m in a dream world expecting flowers as I walk along the way.

Annie
We walked in June of this year and the Meseta was alive with amazing Poppies. It rained the whole 4 days it took us but we all agreed do that it was our favorite part of our Camino.

@Stephen Nicholls
I am happy to read that you may be walking the Portuguese route next year Stephen. Your heart is definitely on the camino and you are sounding so much more positive about getting back than I read in your posts 1 &1/2 mths ago. I hope healthwise, that everything comes together for you.
Buen Camino
Annie

@Stephen Nicholls
I am happy to read that you may be walking the Portuguese route next year Stephen. I hope healthwise, that everything comes together for you. Buen Camino Annie
Annie - I miss the camino - and Spain - so much! I'm suffering from oedema - water in the left foot. If we can cure it, I hope to walk th Coastal next April. If not - then I'll travel over to the east coast where I lived for 8 years, and enjoy shorter [4 to 5 mile] walks with old friends. Bless you for thinking of me!
s. x

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@C clearly , @Kanga , @Stephen Nicholls Wow ... I hadn’t realised that there would be such a variety of flowers. Lavender would be a bonus. And no, not everyone has these gorgeous pics of fields of poppies (natural garden ).

I get into trouble for taking too many pictures of the wild flowers in the meadows! Just one more, especially for you, Annie. This one taken in early April 2011 on my first camino from Porto to SdC. All my diaries and pictures are on my web site.....

P1090223.JPG

I get into trouble for taking too many pictures of the wild flowers in the meadows! Just one more, especially for you, Annie. This one taken in early April 2011 on my first camino from Porto to SdC. All my diaries and pictures are on my web site.....

View attachment 45654
Beautiful .... I’m sure you don’t get into trouble from fellow peregrinos and /or forum members for taking too many meadow pictures. This is really something. Thankyou. I must revisit your website. My memory is ageing in line with my feet ..
I walked Porto to SdC early May 2012 as my first camino but maybe at that time I was talking too much ! and missed what was all around me.

Either way ., long walk or move back and do short walks in Spain , you can’t lose Stephen. Buen Camino.
Annie

The Via de la Plata is firmly etched in my memory as the Wildflower Route. We were there in May/June and it was utterly spectacular. On one day we counted over twenty different flowers along the path.
(Weather ranged from 36 degrees to a week of rain to back in the 30s, then 20s, then more rain on the Sanabres and some sun too - don’t go for the weather!!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Via de la Plata is firmly etched in my memory as the Wildflower Route. We were there in May/June and it was utterly spectacular. On one day we counted over twenty different flowers along the path.
(Weather ranged from 36 degrees to a week of rain to back in the 30s, then 20s, then more rain on the Sanabres and some sun too - don’t go for the weather!!)
Rachel
I think the wildflower route sounds great. Can you recall if the wildflowers are on the Sanabrés too ?
Annie

IMG_6974.JPG IMG_7160.JPG IMG_7512.JPG IMG_7826.JPG IMG_7830.JPG IMG_7905.JPG IMG_7907.JPG
These were all on the Via de la Plata. Now I'll try to find some from the Sanabres...
IMG_8398.JPG IMG_8777.JPG Seems there were not as many - at least, I only have two photos! The Sanabres does not lack beauty - it's just more big scale (hills, trees, forest) and we struck a bit of rain which makes you put your head down and observe less. If I needed to split the walk I think I would do the earlier portion in spring and leave the Sanabres for autumn.

Thankyou
View attachment 45673View attachment 45674View attachment 45675View attachment 45676View attachment 45677View attachment 45678View attachment 45679
These were all on the Via de la Plata. Now I'll try to find some from the Sanabres...
View attachment 45680View attachment 45681 Seems there were not as many - at least, I only have two photos! The Sanabres does not lack beauty - it's just more big scale (hills, trees, forest) and we struck a bit of rain which makes you put your head down and observe less. If I needed to split the walk I think I would do the earlier portion in spring and leave the Sanabres for autumn.
Thankyou for those beauties!
That split into 2 sections (Vdlp and Sanabrés) sounds like a good plan to me too ..

Your Madrid is fast approaching Rachel ... I hope you enjoy it and I’ll be Watching for your posts.
Buen camino
Annie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Annie:

I began the VDLP this April 16th, walked into SdC May 31st. Many fantastic & colorful Flowers most prominent South of Salamanca. The beauty of the Sanabres Camino is different and every bit as impressive. Warm weather in the south was very tolerable, became rainy a few days before and after Santiago going to Muxia, no surprise there.

Something to consider is Easter, it falls on April 21st next year. The festivities during Holy week are exciting and colorful. Depending on location, lodging may be challenging the week prior and after Easter Sunday. Also, a wonderful annual Spring event in Sevilla, is the weeklong Farie de Sevilla. It's a very well attended event where most all the women & girls go all out in beautiful Fleminco dresses and accessories, the Men & boys are equally as impressive in their formal suits & ties. I was a little under dressed walking the fair grounds in my hiking gear. I hope you return to finish the northern portion if the VdlP/Sarbanes, I really loved most every day of the hike.

Buen Camino,

Greg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Flowers...wow! I left Sevilla on March 22, 2017 and arrived April 28 in SdC. Every day I made a picture of a flower for a friend back home, so I was really focused on what was blooming along the way. And every day I could make lots of pictures of flowers which made it difficult to decide which one to send. Once you are focused on the beauty of your surroundings you get overwhelmed, day after day. Oh, and the mountains with heather fields--never to be forgotten. Awesome!

Hi

Annie
Hi, grandma Annie,
What you need to hope for is a VERY rainy spring. Last year, it apparently rained in the south of Spain for at least three months, and then magically stopped as the Mozárabe Mob approached Almería on April 11 and 12. The flowers were like none I have ever seen before. I agree with those who say the best flowers will be south of Salamanca, at least that was my experience.

I have started twice in Sevilla, once in mid April, once on May 1 or 2. And the flowers were great both times.

I can’t speak to earlier starts, but I can say that starting after the middle of April is a good bet for wildflower heaven. Buen camino,Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, grandma Annie,
What you need to hope for is a VERY rainy spring. Last year, it apparently rained in the south of Spain for at least three months, and then magically stopped as the Mozárabe Mob approached Almería on April 11 and 12. The flowers were like none I have ever seen before. I agree with those who say the best flowers will be south of Salamanca, at least that was my experience.

I have started twice in Sevilla, once in mid April, once on May 1 or 2. And the flowers were great both times.

I can’t speak to earlier starts, but I can say that starting after the middle of April is a good bet for wildflower heaven. Buen camino,Laurie
@peregrina2000 Hi Laurie
(Not a fan of grandma...prefer Nanna...)
My USA granddaughter is coming along beautifully.. so travel to US has to fit in each year at least .. makes scheduling my Europe travel require more thought.
Thanks too @Anniesantiago
I think for spring 2019 taking into account Semana Santa commences April 14– with Easter Sunday on 21st. If I was travelling with a group other pilgrims or even one other ; I think I’d like to be there about 13th however travelling alone I don’t like to be in busy busy places so my thinking is to arrive Sevilla about 11th and start walking maybe next day (I’ve visited there before - great place ).
That would have my day1 as a Friday and miss the larger city festivities and maybe easier to get a reservation in the city before Easter.
Nothing final, just putting it down in front of me so I’ve got some fixed starting thoughts. My alternative would be to arrive Sevilla after Easter but that upsets family at home I think. Eek ... :rolleyes:
My plan is enjoy visits to Mérida and other Roman areas and to walk easy stages to say Zamora where there is a good connection for train back to Madrid .. if I manage to get further I’ll check on the ease of bus links back to best train links for Madrid. I use rome2rio as a rule.
Nice to hear that I should get to see some wildflowers up to Salamanca... I’ll more than likely fit in another short trip in the autumn (fall) to continue on to Santiago.
With nothing booked yet though, who knows.

Thankyou everyone for your input and to Clare @C clearly , Rachel @Kiwi-family and @Stephen Nicholls for the inspirational pics. Glorious !!

Annie

Hi

Annie
Im also hoping to walk the Via next year . Had planned to do so in 2017 but an accident curtailed my plans and i ended up walking from Salamanca to Santiago. Am at present trying to persuade a friend in Ireland to undertake the trip , but would be delighted to hear from any Peregrino intending to start circa Easter 2019 . Am happy with my own company but my previous La Plata experience made me aware of the isolation at some points and the advisability of having a thread , no matter how small to fellow peregrinos en route. Paddy

Im also hoping to walk the Via next year . Had planned to do so in 2017 but an accident curtailed my plans and i ended up walking from Salamanca to Santiago. Am at present trying to persuade a friend in Ireland to undertake the trip , but would be delighted to hear from any Peregrino intending to start circa Easter 2019 . Am happy with my own company but my previous La Plata experience made me aware of the isolation at some points and the advisability of having a thread , no matter how small to fellow peregrinos en route. Paddy
Hi Paddy
I’ll look out for your dates as it gets closer. I agree., nice to have company or knowledge that there is someone to contact not far away.
I’m thinking too of possible stream crossings if there are any heavy arroyos runs beforehand.
The Irish have good numbers on the caminos. So many from Dublin area too. (Hey there @MickMac ). Good company

Buen Camino
Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back