• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flower Walk Fromista to Carrion de los Condes

wichanee

I always follow the yellow arrow religiously (no pun intended) and feel a
bit apprehensive to veer off the beaten track. Guidebooks describes a boring 9 km walk from Poblacion del Campo to Carrion on the gravel path running alongside the highway. The alternate route is by the riverside even if it is 1.8 km longer.
I am glad I did take the Camino altanativo today. Once leaving Poblacion (the bar here makes a very mean cup of caffe con leche - one tiny little cup sends you up high on caffeine for quite a long time)you come to the bridge and take the right hand fork. Yellow arrows direct you to the path away from the river until you reach Villovieco. Cross the bridge (yellow arrow) and turn right on the track along Rio Ucieza
The Flower Walk starts from here and for approx 4 km you are drifting into the dreamworld of colours, sight and sound. Headhigh walls of purple Thistles, yellow wild Turnips, red Poppies and other pinks, blue, white wildflowers I don't know the names line the river bank and the track as far as the eyes can see. The sun is shining, the river is whispering, the birds are singing and the frogs - yes the frogs are croaking- even at midday. We walk, stop, take a thousand photos, start and stop again.
On the left hand side, you see the yellow wild turnip field and on the right hand side, the red poppies fields here and there. What a wonderful world.
6 of us stumbled out of this dreamland at the sealed road in front of Ermita de la Virgen del Rio and all of us put our backpacks down and beamed at each other. Even the old Camino hands among us have to admit this is the most magnificent walk they have ever done!
I am not a Catholic, not even a Christian but I pray to St.James today without whom I would not have been here on the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Flowers on the camino

Wanachee - that is why I love the camino in Spring!

If anyone is interested in the flowers of the camino, Piers Nicolson has a lot of photographs on his website at:

http://www.santiago-compostela.net/flowers.html

You can also see pictures of sundials (Piers is a sundial maker of note!) and many photographs of the different camino routes.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Wichanee - you are making me homesick for the Camino already, and I've only been home for two weeks! I hope you put some (all?) of your photos on the forum.

One of my resolutions was to find a small field guide to local flora and fauna for my next trip - does anyone know of one?

Buen Camino from all of us who wish we were there!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have done this detour and quite enjoyed it -- the alternative, of course, is to walk alongside the highway and while it is a quiet highway, it is not as meditative as the banks of the river.

Its only rival as a worthwhile detour is the walk through Samos on the way to Sarria.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back