• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flowers on a winter Camino! Good news for those who consider walking in winter :)

surya8

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues Central and Coastal 2017 & 2019; Portugues Interior, Sanabres, Fisterra & Muxia 2018
I walked my first winter Camino this Jan: Portugues Coastal/Littroral from Porto + Espiritual.
Had some doubts about the sanity of this trip before as I tend to get cold easily but still decided to go for it. Was a blast! Expected much worse weather and colder albergues but it turned out all right: mild temperatures in mid Jan there, from +3 to +13C, some rain ranging from drizzle to one day of downpour. Rest of the time - glorious sunshine! Well, some cloudy sky but that didn't spoil it. All the municipal albergues are open, also some private as well, so no trouble finding accommodation. And pensions if you fancy some privacy. Previously I walked in Portugal in different seasons: did Portugues Central from Porto in Apr-May, Portugues Interior from Viseu in June, Portugues Central between Lisbon and Porto in late Oct. Every one of them was amazing! Now this winter Camino proved that Portugal is an all-year destination, so you could go there to walk any time, even without planning!
I was so amazed there in January to see all the different flowers in bloom: https://anna-camino.livejournal.com/5063.html
An amazing mix of spring, summer and autumnal flowers all in one go! If they thrive there so can you! :)
Ah, you can glimpse the weather on the pics there as well.
Bom Caminho to those who are thinking of walking in winter! :) Season not to waste!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Suray8 for your blog. I was going to walk from Braga on the Caminho Geira on the 14th December, but 6 weeks of training out I am nowhere were I want to be and yesterday I read of pilgrims having to take a detour around a bridge because it was submerged after heavy rains, so I must just go the 5 km from the Porto airport to the coast and start there instead, your blog has me thinking of the Coastal route as a positive other option.

Obrigado

I was going to walk from Braga on the Caminho Geira on the 14th December, but 6 weeks of training out I am nowhere were I want to be and yesterday I read of pilgrims having to take a detour around a bridge because it was submerged after heavy rains, so I must just go the 5 km from the Porto airport to the coast and start there instead, your blog has me thinking of the Coastal route as a positive other option.
Well, there is still time to decide till mid Dec and it doesn't keep on raining all the time in Portugal - one of the reasons I love the country. Coastal would be an easier option in Dec, no mountains to climb there, no training required. Am considering Torres + Caminho Geira for the future now when it's an official route. Re Caminho Geira: what about the accommodation there? Anything apart from pensions? Any bombeiros that might host there?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You have two Albergues at the begining, one next to the Ze in central Braga then the recently opened one 17- 19km km after Braga. In Campos de Geres 26km-30km later there is a youth hostel( several large dorm rooms). Various places along the route offer special pilgrim rates. There was a blog in 2014 where the group stayed in the fire station in Teras de Bouro which is 30 km after Braga, I have not seen anything posted since giving bombieros as a place to stay, I
have feeling this route has grown so much since cathedral recognition ( 750 passed through 1 galician area alone this year) that fire stations may not be offered again unless they are adapted to specially hold pilgrims.
An Italian couple walked from Salamanca this year and went onto the Geira at Easter. They have a really useful blog which can be found on the routes website under notices for April.
If I don't do it in December then the next time I will be able to do it will be August, that probably will be with a tent, the people who did the blog in 2014 took a tent and used it some nights

The rain on the Geira is high even for this corner of the peninsula, a lot of preparation had been for that aspect of it, but unless I feel comfortable with my own personal fitness I don't feel like walking long isolated sections at altitude with a minimum of daylight hours, I had a good pre Camino session on the UK south west coastal path yesterday so who knows?

I hope you do walk it, I read your CPI blog after reading your Costa one and quite enjoyed that as well.

Bom Caminho

Lovely flower photos thanks for sharing. I just finished the inland route from Porto on 9 October. Many flowers, eucalyptus and olive trees I knew from my previous life in Africa.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We are heading to Porto to walk the coastal route the beginning of March. Generally, we expect rain and some winds. Will Flowers be in bloom then? Wondering about pollen count as I have allergies. Thanks

We are heading to Porto to walk the coastal route the beginning of March. Generally, we expect rain and some winds. Will Flowers be in bloom then? Wondering about pollen count as I have allergies. Thanks
March is considered a rainy month in Portugal, but that's relative. Most of the flowers bloom later. When I walked from Porto in late Apr there were plenty in 2017, whole fields of yellow and blue ones. 2018 was colder and they came a bit later, mainly May-June. It's more subdued and off colour till Mar-Apr. There were flowers on our winter Camino but I had to look for them. I hope you should be fine there in March.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
An Italian couple walked from Salamanca this year and went onto the Geira at Easter. They have a really useful blog which can be found on the routes website under notices for April.
The rain on the Geira is high even for this corner of the peninsula, a lot of preparation had been for that aspect of it, but unless I feel comfortable with my own personal fitness I don't feel like walking long isolated sections at altitude with a minimum of daylight hours
Thanks for the advice there! Yes, now I rememeber about the rain situation on Camino Geira - could be a bit tricky there in winter.
And yes, with the short daylight hours in winter we were ok on the Coastal. Never walked in the darkness, never used flashlights. Always left around 8am and got to our destination before 5-6pm. Did 35km on one particular day there and even then came before dark.

Hm, this makes me think...there might be another plant that looks exactly or very simiral but it's not exactly crocus. This one blooms in autumn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicum Have seen these in many countries.

Actually that was a stock photograph - managed to find one in my collection

crocus.jpg

a little hard to see but a different flower to Colchicum?

Hm, this makes me think...there might be another plant that looks exactly or very simiral but it's not exactly crocus. This one blooms in autumn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicum Have seen these in many countries.
These come in many countries. They are the source of saffron! Thus its extensive use in Spain. I've tried growing them. They just survive, and don't thrive, in a moist environment; they like very dry conditions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked my first winter Camino this Jan: Portugues Coastal/Littroral from Porto + Espiritual.
Had some doubts about the sanity of this trip before as I tend to get cold easily but still decided to go for it. Was a blast! Expected much worse weather and colder albergues but it turned out all tight: mild temperatures in mid Jan there, from +3 to +13C, some rain ranging from drizzle to one day of downpour. Rest of the time - glorious sunshine! Well, some cloudy sky but that didn't spoil it. All the municipal albergues are open, also some private as well, so no trouble finding accommodation. And pensions if you fancy some privacy. Previously I walked in Portugal in different seasons: did Portugues Central from Porto in Apr-May, Portugues Interior from Viseu in June, Portugues Central between Lisbon and Porto in late Oct. Every one of them was amazing! Now this winter Camino proved that Portugal is an all-year destination, so you could go there to walk any time, even without planning!
I was so amazed there in January to see all the different flowers in bloom: https://anna-camino.livejournal.com/5063.html
An amazing mix of spring, summer and autumnal flowers all in one go! If they thrive there so can you! :)
Ah, you can glimpse the weather on the pics there as well.
Bom Caminho to those who are thinking of walking in winter! :) Season not to waste!
Beautiful flower photos on your blog! Thank you 👏🏻🇮🇲🙏😊👍🏼 Buen Camino x

Thank you for posting your blog link. What a joy to scroll through all the many varieties of beautiful flowers...amazing!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for posting your blog link. What a joy to scroll through all the many varieties of beautiful flowers...amazing!
Now I only need to find the names for some of them that I don't know! Especiaally the ugly green thing with small pinkyish flowers from the forests of Galicia - a Jan mystery for me :)

Last edited:
Now I only need to find the names for some of them that I don't know! Especiaally the ugly green thing with small pinkyish flowers from the forsts of Galicia - a Jan mystery for me :)

Post a photo here and we all help you ;-)
BC SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back