• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flu shots

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I just saw that this year's influenza has hit Australia hard this year, both in numbers and severity of illness.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/03/health/australia-bad-flu-season/index.html

It hasn't arrived in force in the USA yet, but we folks from all over the world will be commingling and living in close albergue quarters on the Camino, which gives a contagious virus great opportunities to spread. I just got a flu shot and I hope that others who have access to the vaccine will consider getting one, too.

The vaccine is not 100% effective, but even if it offers partial protection, the more people who are vaccinated, the harder it will be for the epidemic to spread. I got the shot to protect me and also to protect those who either can't get the shot or who may have compromised immune systems.

JillGat, Infectious Disease Epidemiologist

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Already then, this is coming from an Infectious Disease Epidemiologist, so, I shall get my flu shot before departure. Thanks for the heads up. Sigamos !!!

Most of my career was spent working with HIV/AIDS. Part of the reason we encouraged people to get vaccinated against the flu, pertussus and other common diseases was that the vaccines might be less effective for people living with HIV. And these diseases are much more dangerous for people with weak immune systems. So the more we can control the virus in people around them and folks like them, the less likely they will come in contact with these contagious bugs. (And I don't want to come in contact with them either). Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had the flu once. The only year I didn't get the vaccine. Officially diagnosed with the flu, not a cold. I get one every year now. I had forgotten this year due to so many things going on. Thanks for the reminder! Getting it tomorrow.

Thank you for the reminder.
Working in health sector myself so I know I have an obligation towards the people around me with less good health .

@JillGat with pertussis are you referring what we know as the whooping cough? The vaccin that is sometimes, but not always, given to children together with the tetanus shot?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello, Mark, please accept my sympathy on the death of your wife. What a terrible shock it must have been. I am sorry for your loss.

Since I am a part of a large community or herd where I work, I have been told to get the flu shot for years. Now that I am over 65, my doctor says it is important to get the flu shot no earlier than October. I wanted to make sure that my memory was correct on that, and sure enough, there seems to be ample scientific evidence that older people should get vaccinated later than when CVS and Walgreens start to push for it. http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-it-is-possible-to-get-your-flu-shot-too-soon

Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you JillGat...

IMHO, if influenza inoculations are available where you live, seriously consider getting one, especially if you plan to do Camino in the next 6 - 10 months. All it takes is one infected person in an albergue to ruin a lot of Caminos.

I get one every year. I have also had the adult shingles and multi-variant pneumoccocal vaccines.

It is as much about showing consideration for others as it is protecting yourself.

I hope this helps.

Flu shots in the UK start in October. Worryingly they say that they are often only 50% effective and less so for those who are older. Hopefully we older folk have some residual natural immunity but I worry for those who have always had the shot and therefore presumably no natural level of immunity.
If you have had the shot do still be careful if infection is around, and if you think you have flu (or anything else contagious) then please help yourself and others by not using the albergues. A few days in 'isolation' means you will probably recover better and others not become ill.

As a (slightly off topic) comment. We carry a bottle of 'First Direct' which is good against colds.
Maybe it also would help against the flu getting a hold. Any comment on whether it might help against flu?

Flu shots in the UK start in October. Worryingly they say that they are often only 50% effective and less so for those who are older. Hopefully we older folk have some residual natural immunity but I worry for those who have always had the shot and therefore presumably no natural level of immunity.
If you have had the shot do still be careful if infection is around, and if you think you have flu (or anything else contagious) then please help yourself and others by not using the albergues. A few days in 'isolation' means you will probably recover better and others not become ill.

As a (slightly off topic) comment. We carry a bottle of 'First Direct' which is good against colds.
Maybe it also would help against the flu getting a hold. Any comment on whether it might help against flu?

Tia, what is First Direct?

For years I have used Cold-eze (main ingredient, zinc) and swear that it works for me. My doctor says there is some, but not much, scientific evidence that it does work. But last year, when I was up near the Sil River on a short tourism trip, I felt a cold coming on. The pharmacist in Luintra suggested I try Airborne, and since then I have given up my coldeze in favor of Airborne, which has both a mega dose of Vitamin C and zinc. I don't care if it is the placebo effect, but it has stopped several incipient colds in their tracks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tia, what is First Direct?
First Direct is a nasal spray sold under the Vicks brand and produced by Proctor and Gamble for the UK.
Its ingredients include zinc, Menthol, Camphor and Eucalyptus. Used at first signs of a cold and advice is to spray but not inhale deeply so that it spreads through nasal passages and traps cold virus and inactivates it. We have a friend who uses it at times if in contact with anyone with a cold rather than at first signs of getting one.
I find it good, and it sounds a bit like your remedies.

Mark, Wow, what a story. Such a sad and sudden way to lose your partner. I'm sorry. Thank you for sharing that story, which may influence others to take precautionary action.

Some responses to other posts:

Yes, pertussis is the same as whooping cough. Most of us were vaccinated for it when we were young, but there is waning immunity from the immunization, so adults can get the disease again. It is not so serious in adults, except that they can spread it to others, including babies that are not yet immunized and they can die from it. So I get that shot when it is called for. It is extremely contagious and if one person in an albergue has it, others will likely catch it too. A lot of coughing all night, waking everybody up!

Peregrina2000, I believe they say to wait until October to get the flu shot because it will assure that you are protected through the end of the season when there are likely to be more cases than in the early fall. However, if leaving on the Camino earlier, it makes sense to get it earlier. We are exposed to a stew of microbes from all over the world on the Camino (and a stew of wonderful people they are, I must say!)

From Tia Valeria: [[Flu shots in the UK start in October. Worryingly they say that they are often only 50% effective and less so for those who are older. Hopefully we older folk have some residual natural immunity but I worry for those who have always had the shot and therefore presumably no natural level of immunity.]]

If the flu shot is only 50 - 75% protective, all the more reason to get vaccinated. Those who get a shot and develop immunity protect others who may not have full immunity from the shot. Called herd immunity. Shots are different each year, to protect against the new strains that newly appear annually. This is why you can get the flu again and again. Different mutations. Having had the flu before, you have no immunity to the new strains. So "natural immunity" doesn't help you. But having had the shots every year before that gives you some protection against those previous viruses.

One of the reasons the flu shot can be less than 100% effective is that the vaccine is developed at the beginning of the season to respond to the identified viruses as they first begin to appear in China, before they have spread to the rest of the year. Sometimes the experts mis-guess which strains will show up or mutate, so we are not protected against those. I remember my whole family got sick one year because the shot wasn't protective against the newest, most virulent strain that emerged after the vaccine was developed.

But you do what you can, and a vaccination is an easy, smart thing to do. Have your health care provider look up what shots you should get. And yes, if you are eligible to get a shingles shot (varicella zoster), get it!!

I really appreciate this thread, Jill, with it's advice is timely and sensible advice. Double like!
I was just in India and met an Aussie who brought the flu with her on the plane...and believe me, you don't want it. She was feeling fine when she boarded the plane, but became symptomatic enroute. So if you were to end up sitting next to someone like her on your way to Spain...you'd be especially glad to have had the vaccine.

I wanted to make sure that my memory was correct on that, and sure enough, there seems to be ample scientific evidence that older people should get vaccinated later than when CVS and Walgreens start to push for it.
I don't know, but My GP just told me last week that this year's vaccine is now out. As Jill says, the vaccine is an educated guess in terms of strains that it protects against, anyway.

Hi Jill, 5 years ago my wife died from the H3N2 flu strain. She was fit and healthy and had no health issues at all, she was 49.
Mark, there are no words. I'm very sorry for what must have been a deeply shocking loss. I hope it's a comfort to know that your story may have saved lives, and my save some today. The flu is not a cold, and not to be taken lightly.

Edit - Here is a useful and informative link. I learned something today, and it answers your question @peregrina2000 : "Families should plan to get vaccinated against the flu soon after vaccine is available in the community."
thank you again Jill...

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Jill, 5 years ago my wife died from the H3N2 flu strain. She was fit and healthy and had no health issues at all, she was 49. Our story is on this link here. thanks Mark

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/7372927/Karori-woman-dies-from-flu

Your sharing her story is very motivating for me to get the shot. I can't imagine how painful it is to have lost her like this, to have lost her at all.

Thanks for influencing us all to get that shot. I will think of her as I do.

Camino love going out to you, sir.

Thank you Mister Mark for sharing this story of love, families ARE forever.

I just came back from getting my flu shot, my wife [walking the camino with me] was done with all her shots last week.

Note to all my military retirees friends, the shots are not yet available at the Veterans Administration Hospital [at least not in my area], however, you can go to Walgreens pharmacies and get the shot for free with your Tricare [that's what I just did].

To all caminantes, good luck, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Thank you
Hello, Mark, please accept my sympathy on the death of your wife. What a terrible shock it must have been. I am sorry for your loss.

Since I am a part of a large community or herd where I work, I have been told to get the flu shot for years. Now that I am over 65, my doctor says it is important to get the flu shot no earlier than October. I wanted to make sure that my memory was correct on that, and sure enough, there seems to be ample scientific evidence that older people should get vaccinated later than when CVS and Walgreens start to push for it. http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-it-is-possible-to-get-your-flu-shot-too-soon

Buen camino, Laurie
Your sharing her story is very motivating for me to get the shot. I can't imagine how painful it is to have lost her like this, to have lost her at all.

Thanks for influencing us all to get that shot. I will think of her as I do.

Camino love going out to you, sir.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you Laurie, Mark

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back