• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Fluent Forever" app now offers Castilian Spanish

Prentiss Riddle

Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada
Time of past OR future Camino
Português and/or Francés in 2023
The nerdiest language app ever, Fluent Forever, has just added Castilian Spanish to their language list.

Has anyone tried it? I read the book and fooled with their method years ago before they had an app (I was learning a different language, Hindi) and I thought their approach made a lot of sense. I'm really curious what it's like now that it's more developed.

Their method starts with ear training to recognize the sounds of a language before it gets into vocabulary and grammar, so that part might be useful even for people who decide they don't like the rest of the system.

Note that I am NOT associated with Fluent Forever, just a curious potential customer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Three differentiating things about their system: (1) start with ear training so you learn to distinguish among sounds in the target language; (2) build mental associations by making your own picture-based flash cards and bypassing English; (3) spaced repetition so you practice vocabulary at the optimal time for retention.

I told you it was nerdy! :)

The nerdiest language app ever, Fluent Forever, has just added Castilian Spanish to their language list.

Has anyone tried it? I read the book and fooled with their method years ago before they had an app (I was learning a different language, Hindi) and I thought their approach made a lot of sense. I'm really curious what it's like now that it's more developed.

Their method starts with ear training to recognize the sounds of a language before it gets into vocabulary and grammar, so that part might be useful even for people who decide they don't like the rest of the system.

Note that I am NOT associated with Fluent Forever, just a curious potential customer.
Hi @Prentiss Riddle,
I just found your thread about Fluent Forever.
As you posted a month ago & didn't get any responses, I'm wondering if you ended up going ahead with the program? If so, what do you think of it?

I already had Gabe's book on my shelf but hadn't gotten around to reading it until now.
I'm interested in the app mainly because I'm a visual learner so trying his 'auditory first' approach might be a breakthrough for me. The visual association/flashcard method should suit my usual learning style.

The 50% discount offer still equates to approx AUD$70 so I'd be looking for a recommendation before taking the plunge.
Thanks.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I already had Gabe's book on my shelf but hadn't gotten around to reading it until now.
I'm interested in the app mainly because I'm a visual learner so trying his 'auditory first' approach might be a breakthrough for me. The visual association/flashcard method should suit my usual learning style.

The 50% discount offer still equates to approx AUD$70 so I'd be looking for a recommendation before taking the plunge.
Thanks.
👣 🌏

You can try out the visual flashcard/spaced repetition suggestions from Fluent Forever for free by setting up an Anki deck and adding illustrations to your cards from Google Images as Gabe suggests. Complete instructions for setting up decks are on the Anki website:

We also read Gabe's book, have built numerous Anki decks to suit our own Spanish-learning needs, and find them well-worth the time. And during the pandemic, we have plenty of time to study! In addition to making your own cards, you can import many pre-made Spanish decks into Anki.

Last edited:
You can try out the visual flashcard/spaced repetition suggestions from Fluent Forever for free by setting up an Anki deck and adding illustrations to your cards from Google Images as Gabe suggests. Complete instructions for setting up decks are on the Anki website:

We also read Gabe's book, have built numerous Anki decks to suit our own Spanish-learning needs, and find them well-worth the time. And during the pandemic, we have plenty of time to study! In addition to making your own cards, you can import many pre-made Spanish decks into Anki.
Oh my... 😯 @islandwalker...your response reads like a foreign language to me in itself! 😄 I have no idea what an Anki deck is (I've only just dusted off Gabe's book from my estantería 🤭) but I'm about to find out...
Thank you so much for the info & link...a googling I shall go!
👣 🌏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@kazrobbo, I loved your reply! It made me remember what I felt like the first time I tried to use Anki! :eek:

There are loads of youtube tutorials about Anki because so many people use it for language learning and medical school. And I'd be glad to help you through getting started if you decide it interests you.

Your previous post actually did me a big favor because when I looked up the links for you, I found a shared Anki deck I hadn't known about before. It was just what I needed: 9000 sentences with audio by a native speaker from central Spain. I now have it set up for me to study 10 new sentences a day. If anyone else is interested in that deck, here is the link. You must have the Anki program installed on your computer before you can use the deck.

@kazrobbo, I loved your reply! It made me remember what I felt like the first time I tried to use Anki! :eek:

There are loads of youtube tutorials about Anki because so many people use it for language learning and medical school. And I'd be glad to help you through getting started if you decide it interests you.

Your previous post actually did me a big favor because when I looked up the links for you, I found a shared Anki deck I hadn't known about before. It was just what I needed: 9000 sentences with audio by a native speaker from central Spain. I now have it set up for me to study 10 new sentences a day. If anyone else is interested in that deck, here is the link. You must have the Anki program installed on your computer before you can use the deck.

You're a gem 💎 @islandwalker ..thank you! I am a bit..er..technologically-challenged so I'll see how I go. First I'll read the Fluent Forever book (ahh, words on paper..now that I get! 😆) & then I'll be on it. I really appreciate your input & offer of assistance. 🤗 I'm sure others who stumble on this thread will find it very helpful too. The possibilities for language learning are boundless these days.
👣 🌏

Hi @Prentiss Riddle,
I just found your thread about Fluent Forever.
As you posted a month ago & didn't get any responses, I'm wondering if you ended up going ahead with the program? If so, what do you think of it?

No, I haven't pursued it. I too was hoping to get a report from someone who has tried it. Who knows, the way this forum works somebody could reply to this thread two years from now! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I too was hoping to get a report from someone who has tried it.
I bought the original decks from Gabe before the app existed when they had to be installed on Anki. By the time I bought them, I was already beyond the beginning level, so I quickly moved on to using his ideas for making my own Anki cards or using shared decks (all free).

But I see on the Fluent Forever page that you can try out the new app for free for 30 days before charges start - at least here in the US. Would that be useful?

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back