• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fly in from Hungary

anita4444

Time of past OR future Camino
First time on the Camino
Hi All, I`m looking to find out if there is anybody on the forum who has flown in for the camino from Budapest Hungary. I have read so many different ways to go from all over the world but before I finalize and book tickets (for mid May 2016) I was looking for some more advise if there is any. I was looking at Barcelona because to there I may find a direct flight but from there it seems like it`s a long journey on bus or train to SPDP. Isn`t it a little less complicated from either Bordeaux, Toulouse or Bayonne? Any advice from experience is much appreciated. Thank you! Buen Camino!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The closest airport to SJPdP is Biarritz/Bayonne
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

The BIQ website does not indicate flights from Budapest ... so you would need to travel via an airport that connects to BIQ.

There is Chronoplus bus from Airport to Gare Bayonne

There are SNCF trains to SJPdP from Bayonne, usually 4 x per day, all year.

Travel via Biarritz is probably the most convenient.

There is CONDA (ALSA) bus service from Pamplona to SJPdP, currently once per day (starting 1 March 2016) with more buses added as peak season draws closer.

There is frequent bus (Vibasa direct from SANTS and ALSA from Barcelona Nord via Zaragosa) and Renfe train service from Barcelona to Pamplona.

SNCF Train from Bordeaux or Toulouse to Bayonne and onward to SJPdP would likely be faster than travel via Barcelona and Pamplona ... however, your schedule might or might not work out that way. You'll have to do the time appreciation yourself. Cost is an important factor as is determining how you will get home.

Many of us here are traveling from points across the globe. Most of us don't have access to flights that will go to Bordeaux or Toulouse without first arriving at a more major center such as Paris, London, or Madrid at which point travel times and costs are competitive using rail and bus versus flights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barcelona is the long way round. I tried the Rome2Rio search and got quite a few different routes - so it is probably a matter of working out costs/time. Iberia and Ryanair both fly direct from Budapest to Madrid, there are also flights to Biarritz. Try here for various options.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back