• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fly into ?

TomiPlastow

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2019)
I am wanting opinions on what route to fly to and from. I am flying out of Seattle, will be starting at the end of August 2019 in SJPP. Some say Paris is the easiest some say Madrid. I will be returning to Seattle after I am done. Same airport? London? Doesn’t have to be the cheapest ( although that is nice) but would like the easiest since I have never been overseas!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It will be exotic wherever you land, if you have never been overseas before! Have a great time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Flying into Madrid is probably the most logistical to and fro. You can take a bus from Madrid Barajas Airport to Pamplona, and change to a bus to SJPDP. After walking the camino, you would take a 6 to 8 hour bus/train ride from Santiago to Madrid. I don't know anything about that because both times I took a cheap flight on Ryan Air back to Madrid. When you are on the camino, about, 2 weeks from Santiago, you can book your flight on Ryan Air, if not earlier.

Good Luck.
Buen Camino.

Mark

I fly out of Seattle as well. We do have non-stops into Paris (Delta and AirFrance), but not Madrid. London Heathrow (British) is a possible transfer; also Amsterdam (Delta), Frankfurt (Lufthansa), and Reykjavik (Icelandic). It's easy to arrange an "open-jaw" ticket: just click "multi-city" on the airline ticketing website.

I'd advise you to compare different options - buying a return flight or two one-way tickets, depending on what is easier and cheaper. I was considering buying tickets to Madrid and back for my Camino this winter, but ended up buying two separate tickets: I'm flying to Barcelona, taking a train to my starting point, and then flying back home from Porto (it's closer to Santiago and may be reached by train or by bus). Definitely more convenient and even turned out to be cheaper!

Ryanair is generally a good option for a cheap flight, but there's talk that they're cancelling their flights quite often these days - so I probably wouldn't risk flying with them if I needed to connect to another flight with a different airline!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Forget the easiest way.
I find I need the most interesting way!
What could be better than a day or two in Paris on the way in, followed by the same in Madrid or Barcelona on the way home.
The TGV train service Paris to Bayonne is not to be missed.
Likewise the service from Santiago to Madrid\Barcelona.
Regards and good travelling,
Gerard

I fly out of Seattle as well. We do have non-stops into Paris (Delta and AirFrance), but not Madrid. London Heathrow (British) is a possible transfer; also Amsterdam (Delta), Frankfurt (Lufthansa), and Reykjavik (Icelandic). It's easy to arrange an "open-jaw" ticket: just click "multi-city" on the airline ticketing website.

Personally, I recommend the 'open jaw' approach. Fly nonstop into Paris, take the airport shuttle-bus service from outside the baggage claim area, to the TGV from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne, and the TER #62 local train to SJPdP.

Plan to walk your Camino to Santiago in about 35 days +/-. Add days for rest at SJPdP, enroute (Burgos, Leon, etc.) and a couple of days at Santiago if you possibly can. I usually allot 6 weeks more or less, when I do this route. That gives me a week or so to play with for slack time. If all else fails and Santiago does not entertain you, see Madrid before returning home. It is beautiful.

Depart Santiago either on an ALSA bus, or plane to Madrid. If you fly on AA (One World Alliance) you have a wide variety of routing options for returning home. Both Iberia and British Airlines are in the alliance with AA.

At Madrid, this means you fly into and out of Terminal 4, which is a big convenience and stress reliever. Your checked luggage is also transferred seamlessly. So, even though you cannot fly nonstop back to SEA-TAC, you can fly from Santiago to Madrid to (for example) Charlotte, Philadelphia, DFW or Chicago. From there, there are many flights back to SEA-TAC.

The other thing I found is that, if you leave on an early morning flight from Santiago (SCQ) you can make the connection to the noon (ish) flights from Spain back to the US. That is why staying in one terminal is a good thing.

Alternatively, you might be able to fly from Santiago to Barcelona and then nonstop back to SEA-TAC. I have not looked, but you might. Vueling air is a partner of Iberia and has its hub at Barcelona.

I appreciate that one might be able to shave a few dollars / euros by switching carriers or terminals, but WHY interject drama and uncertainty... I advise spending the extra money to have a more or less seamless journey.

Hope this helps.

If you have never been abroad before seems a shame to rush through Paris (it's a bit quiet in August but a couple of days would be grand). There's also something very cool about entering Spain for the first time via the farm gate in the Pyrenees, and conversely something a bit meh about taking a bus from Pamplona to SJPP only to walk back to Pamplona. Think of the sense of journey not just the practicalities.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have the time, such as being retired, why not base the flights on what city or cities you would like to visit at the start and end of the Camino. Once you arrive I don't think that the difference in cost, time or logistics in getting to SJPDP from either Madrid, Paris or Barcelona will mean as much as the enjoyment you will have in those cities. If you are flying open jaw consider Lisbon as a departure city too.

Hi, I’m from the same side of the planet, Eugene OR. When I walked the Camino Frances I flew into Paris and took the train to Bayonne and then the local train to St Jean. The train experience in Europe is different than in the US and the local train trip into St Jean is beautiful. Plus, it is your first opportunity to meet many other pilgrims. I usually buy a multi-city ticket when I can. Often times it is not too much more cost wise, especially flying out of a large hub like Seattle. I fly into a city close to where I want to start walking and then fly out of Santiago. I usually start looking for tickets early to find a reasonable price. I like the ability to enjoy Santiago and not worry about taking a bus or train to another city to fly home. It’s an easy bus ride to the Santiago airport.

I’m so excited for you...first time overseas and first Camino. You’ll never be the same. Buen Camino!

I am wanting opinions on what route to fly to and from. I am flying out of Seattle, will be starting at the end of August 2019 in SJPP. Some say Paris is the easiest some say Madrid. I will be returning to Seattle after I am done. Same airport? London? Doesn’t have to be the cheapest ( although that is nice) but would like the easiest since I have never been overseas!
Having made too many transatlantic flights than I want to admit, I would avoid British Airways. Delta or Air France would be better choices. As far as destination airports, CDG or MAD are both good choices and there is the added benefit of incredible sites and culture. Just add a few days onto your trip at the end and treat yourself!

Ultreia

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I flew Norwegian air from LAX to Paris, took a train to Bayonne then the bus to SJPDP. I could have flown into Madrid, but...come on, Paris! I couldn't resist.

I flew into Madrid and then caught a cheap internal flight to San Sebastian. From there you can take a train to SJPdP. San Sebastian is a great place to spend a few days to acclimate to time zone changes, but be careful of the fabulous pintxo bars because you don't want to start your walk as the fattest pilgrim on the trail! One note: if you do take the train from San Sebastian to SJPdP you won't arrive until around mid-day, so you will want to make a reservation at Orisson for that first night because it's a pretty long haul to Roncevalles if you only have the PM in which to complete it.

It will be exotic wherever you land, if you have never been overseas before! Have a great time.
This is almost the similar to what I did September 2017. Only difference, at arrival at bus station at Pamplona, I shared a taxi with other pilgrims (4 total), worked out to 25.00 Euros each for the 100.00 Euro "charter" of taxi to SJPDP. I was told before and turned out right that there are always pilgrims at Papmlona bus station willing to do the "carpool". My experience was great and as was suggested. No problems at all. I am sure you will be fine. On the return, I flew Santiago/Madrid on Ryan Air at 6:00 am for my 10:00 am flight out of Madrid. You should be OK. Good luck and Buen Camino!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I flew from Atlanta to Paris, then flew back from Lisbon. It was just i wanted to booked my Camino with some sightseeing. I started in Lourdes, and the 6 days of walking prior to the Camino was a real blessing.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back