• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying home changes - bus options?

Paul Wilson

Time of past OR future Camino
My flight home has just been amended by Vueling and I now have to transit via Barcelona from SdC it adds time to my arrival in UK (plus I’m not sure of the covid requirements/testing for an internal Spanish flight are) and makes things a bit more difficult does anyone know how reliable the bus from SdC to Paris is, I don’t mind the long journey (20hrs) but I will take reliability over uncertainty every time, especially with so many flights seemingly being cancelled or amended last minute just now

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I took a Flix bus from Toulouse to Bilbao a few years ago. The bus originated in Rome and was 6 hours late getting to Toulouse. If the bus originates in SdC, I would say no worries; otherwise I would look into their track record for maintaining scheduled departure times. I agree with your concept of taking the bus over taking the train. The train to Irun from SdC requires lots of changes and is slower than a bus.

Would you have to buy a new ticket from Paris to the UK?
Yes but I travelled from the uk by train and always had Eurostar as my fall back plan, I despise all the extra charges with “cheap” flights now and would rather an honest, if you travel with us here’s the cost…airlines are like, what’s that you’re going to be breathing, sorry that’s extra. I saw a Ryanair flight the same day for £22 and though yeah that’s 90 quid for a start because I’m not in my underwear 🤣🤣

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes but I travelled from the uk by train and always had Eurostar as my fall back plan, I despise all the extra charges with “cheap” flights now and would rather an honest, if you travel with us here’s the cost…airlines are like, what’s that you’re going to be breathing, sorry that’s extra. I saw a Ryanair flight the same day for £22 and though yeah that’s 90 quid for a start because I’m not in my underwear 🤣🤣
Agree completely. And yes, a bus looks like a cheap, direct option. Maybe a change in Irun? (French border).

I like trains in Spain: Fast, cheap, and with a restaurant coach for some food and beverage (Yes, you heard wine), while watching the landscape floating by.

Also, being over 60, I am entitled to a Carta Dorada, giving me 25% discount on all train travels in Spain for a whole year, at the cost of 6 Euros. :cool:

My flight home has just been amended by Vueling and I now have to transit via Barcelona from SdC it adds time to my arrival in UK (plus I’m not sure of the covid requirements/testing for an internal Spanish flight are) and makes things a bit more difficult does anyone know how reliable the bus from SdC to Paris is, I don’t mind the long journey (20hrs) but I will take reliability over uncertainty every time, especially with so many flights seemingly being cancelled or amended last minute just now
That happened to me on the way over to Spain. My direct flight to Bilbao was cancelled and instead I got rerouted to Bilbao via Barcelona. Out worked out fine, but yes, could have gone wrong

I don't have my return to UK with Vueling booked yet, but thanks for the heads up.

BTW - I was not asked for any proof of testing on my internal flight from Barcelona to Bilbao, so I would not expect anything different in reverse either

I took a Flix bus from Toulouse to Bilbao a few years ago. The bus originated in Rome and was 6 hours late getting to Toulouse. If the bus originates in SdC, I would say no worries; otherwise I would look into their track record for maintaining scheduled departure times. I agree with your concept of taking the bus over taking the train. The train to Irun from SdC requires lots of changes and is slower than a bus.
Thanks for the heads up. Jeez I've just gone through a lot of their reviews and I think I’ll give them a miss, it seems they’re the cheap flights of the bus world. I suppose at worst I’ll be changing trains, I’m thinking Madrid-Barcelona-Paris that was my original fall back anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️ Who knows, I’ve got a few weeks to work on it thankfully 👍

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
A funny aside about my Flix bus experience from Toulouse. The bus was 6 hours behind schedule and apparently they had a stop in Pau. They arrived there about 2am and I could hear the drivers discussing where to go to find the stop, after about 10 minutes of aimlessly driving around they headed back to the Autoroute. I know Pau fairly well and I am fairly certain they got off at the wrong exit and were only on the fringe of town nowhere near the center.

Oh dear... has something changed on the train route since 2014? Is it COV specific? I rode the train directly -- it was 11 hours -- from SdC to Irun in October of 2014. I had to then get a different train from Hendaye to Bordeaux (something about track gauge changes), but that was the most easy and pleasant journey I've ever had by train.
The people in the train ticket office near to the *OLD* pilgrim office helped me with the ticketing arrangements. Very kind.

I have always taken the bus, it is shorter by a few hours and the switch from wide gauge tracks to narrow gauge tracks between San Sebastian and Hendaye is a bit of a hassle. There is a new combination bus and train station in San Sebastian, I haven't tried to do the suque there since it opened a few years ago.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I always use this app to figure out transpiration options. It's a free app.

Rome2rio​

Search Engine

Rome2rio is an online multimodal transport search engine helping travelers get to and from any location in the world. Based in Melbourne, Australia and owned by Omio.

You funny.

You funny.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Agree completely. And yes, a bus looks like a cheap, direct option. Maybe a change in Irun? (French border).

I like trains in Spain: Fast, cheap, and with a restaurant coach for some food and beverage (Yes, you heard wine), while watching the landscape floating by.

Also, being over 60, I am entitled to a Carta Dorada, giving me 25% discount on all train travels in Spain for a whole year, at the cost of 6 Euros. :cool:
Hi alexwalker
I agree with yourself I do love train traveling through Spain, but I didn’t know about a discount for people over sixties. Do you just ask for the discount when purchasing a ticket and how do you obtain a carta Dora day. Cheers Tony

Hi alexwalker
I agree with yourself I do love train traveling through Spain, but I didn’t know about a discount for people over sixties. Do you just ask for the discount when purchasing a ticket and how do you obtain a carta Dora day. Cheers Tony
Here's the information page for the Carta Dorada

However, you may be able to purchase a ticket at a lower promotional rate online than for the tarjeta dorada discount.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi alexwalker
You buy the Carta Dorada at the train station before you buy your ticket(s). 6 Euros, 25% discount on tickets. Valid 12 months.

Often in larger stations there is a special window to purchase the Carta Dorada. In the past you had to show your national passport in order to purchase the card.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The train to Irun from SdC requires lots of changes and is slower than a bus.
No actually it doesn't necessarily. In 2019 I took one train all the way. But yes - it took about 10 hours or so. I have to say I loved every minute, because I was getting a preview of many parts of my walk in the other direction.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Looking for suggestions How do I get to Fatima from Lisbon Airport. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back