• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying in and out via Bordeaux on Camino Francés

Monya

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (April 2014)
I booked my flights this afternoon, and it was terrifying.

The long and the short of it is that it can be difficult and time-consuming to get back to Bordeaux from Santiago. The plane fare can almost double from one day to the next, to check in one bag (I was not comfortable that my backpack would meet the 20cm depth requirement without some strong encouragement) is an additional EUR28, and there is a EUR5.29 fee if you pay via credit card on PayPal (I booked through Veilung, as the Iberia site wasn't working, and the fee I found there was for EUR 243). There is also a 4 hour stop over in Barcelona, which means that while you leave Santiago at 09:15, you will only arrive in Bordeaux after 16:00. Unfortunately, "open jaw" options were not economically viable, and I didn't want to get to Santiago, just to have to leave the next morning to navigate an unfamiliar rail system between two countries, and undo 5 weeks of hard graft in a day.:confused: By comparison, walking from St Jean to Santiago seems logistically simple...

I guess I haven't quite learnt to let go as yet, huh. And so, all of this is self-inflicted... o_O

It was also in booking these flights that I realised how scary it is for me to be travelling to and from El Camino alone, and I now have a new appreciation for my travel buddy, but someone has to stay home and look after the kids :(

I am clearly lacking in some confidence - possibly faith - and I hope the Camino will teach me this, and that next time I will approach this part of the process from a different heart-space.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am clearly lacking in some confidence - possibly faith - and I hope the Camino will teach me this, and that next time I will approach this part of the process from a different heart-space.
Hola Monya,
I Don't think your lacking faith, as you've stepped out and booked your tickets, sounds like faith to me.
Regarding confidence, it is a new thing you are doing, but a few days into the walk, you'll feel like an expert.
Buen Camino
Colin

Figuring out the best way to get there and back is definately the logistical challenge of the trip. There are so many options ... Quite a few of the questions on this forum are posted by people trying to figure it all out.

Time seems to have been the critical factor in your plan so figuring out a route that takes only 8 hours Santiago to Bordeaux is pretty good.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I booked my flights this afternoon, and it was terrifying.

Sounds like this was your first time doing one of these bookings. Don't worry the first time EVERYBODY gets confused,dazed and bewildered by the booking process. The second time it'll seem much easier. The third time you'll be clicking things with your eyes closed.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back