• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying in to Paris

SirRon

Time of past OR future Camino
May-July 2023
Hello! My plans are to fly into Paris landing roughly around 7:35am Paris time. I want to take the train to Bayonne and then take a train to SJPDP. From what I gather, after I land at CDG, I need to get to the Paris-Montparnasse station for my train trip to Bayonne. What is the best/least complicated way to get to the station from CDG?

Thank you very much for your help!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am doing it tomorrow morning. Arrive at 6h15 CDG, taking Le Bus from Terminal 2 to Montparnasse for a train at 12h11 direct to Biarritz. You probably should purchase a ticket in advance.
Thank you that is my plan to purchase whatever i can transportation wise. Just wasn't sure the ideal way though. Thank you for your itinerary. I might just try to use your route haha.

I am doing it tomorrow morning. Arrive at 6h15 CDG, taking Le Bus from Terminal 2 to Montparnasse for a train at 12h11 direct to Biarritz. You probably should purchase a ticket in advance.
Don,
So you are flying out tonight. Have a glass of champagne with my best wishes. Carpe diem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I learned sadly this morning that Le Bus to Gare Nord and Montparnasse is no long in operation. There is bus to Opera where one.could ride the Metro to Montparnasse but I took a taxi from there due to the problems with my foot. It looks like the options now to book a train from CDG cm to Bayonne or deal with the RER/Metro to get to Montparnasse.

Hello! My plans are to fly into Paris landing roughly around 7:35am Paris time. I want to take the train to Bayonne and then take a train to SJPDP. From what I gather, after I land at CDG, I need to get to the Paris-Montparnasse station for my train trip to Bayonne. What is the best/least complicated way to get to the station from CDG?

The best and easiest way is to open google maps when you arrive at the airport and ask for directions to Gare Montparnasse. It will guide you through the airport to the train stop at the airport and tell you which trains are due to arrive and what routes you can take. Miss one train and it will tell you the next option. Super easy - I use this method anytime I arrive in a new city now. It gives you train and bus options and will generally tell you which ones are quicker and which ones have the least amount of transfers. It also tells you how many stops until you get off the train. Which is very helpful when you can't hear/understand the overhead announcements on the train!

The best and easiest way is to open google maps when you arrive at the airport and ask for directions to Gare Montparnasse. It will guide you through the airport to the train stop at the airport and tell you which trains are due to arrive and what routes you can take. Miss one train and it will tell you the next option. Super easy - I use this method anytime I arrive in a new city now. It gives you train and bus options and will generally tell you which ones are quicker and which ones have the least amount of transfers. It also tells you how many stops until you get off the train. Which is very helpful when you can't hear/understand the overhead announcements on the train!
Thank you! Great idea! I forgot about that feature!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I learned sadly this morning that Le Bus to Gare Nord and Montparnasse is no long in operation. There is bus to Opera where one.could ride the Metro to Montparnasse but I took a taxi from there due to the problems with my foot. It looks like the options now to book a train from CDG cm to Bayonne or deal with the RER/Metro to get to Montparnasse.
Oh no! That's bad news! Hopefully your foot is better!

I am taking the train from CDG to Montparnasse, then connecting on to Bayonne in July. After spending the night in Bayonne, I am taking train/bus to SJPDP. I purchased my tickets 2 weeks ago.

I recommend that you take the RER B line train from the metro station in Charles de Gaulle and get off at Dendert- Rochereau station. From there you can walk, take a bus or a taxi to Gare Montparnesse.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am taking the train from CDG to Montparnasse, then connecting on to Bayonne in July. After spending the night in Bayonne, I am taking train/bus to SJPDP. I purchased my tickets 2 weeks ago.
Thanks! Yes, I'm beginning to think staying in Bayonne might be a wise decision. It's a long day landing in Paris! Do you know where you are staying in Bayonne yet?

Thanks! Yes, I'm beginning to think staying in Bayonne might be a wise decision. It's a long day landing in Paris! Do you know where you are staying in Bayonne yet?
I am staying at the Ibis Styles Bayonne Centre Gare. It is a little pricey but I wanted a good night's sleep after a long trip from the states. I was told it is only 2 blocks from the train station.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am staying at the Ibis Styles Bayonne Centre Gare. It is a little pricey but I wanted a good night's sleep after a long trip from the states. I was told it is only 2 blocks from the train station.
2 blocks sounds like a good reason to pay a little more! I'm assuming you're taking a very early train to SJPDP? The more I think about your idea, the more I like it. It'll help recover from the flight over to Paris and will get you into SJPDP earlier the next day.

So... I am arriving in Paris at 10:30am, but there are no trains until the evening (well, no TICKETS available). I am arriving in Bayonne at midnight. This means - I will be tired - but I do get to spend a day in Paris. I will take the trains to Gare Montparnasse and drop by backpack off in luggage hold. Then I will explore the city until time to go back to the train station. Once I arrive in Bayonne - I will stay at the Ibis because it is super close to the train station, easy walking distance, AND they have late night checkin and a noon checkout time allowing me to sleep in if needed. The disadvantage to this is I will be VERY tired when I get to Bayonne. The advantage is - it will force me to stay awake during my first day - which always helps me get used to the different time zone. I will however have to set my alarm - because I undoubtedly will sleep VERY well that first night! Anyhow - I would have preferred an afternoon train to Bayonne - but this will work out just fine!

2 blocks sounds like a good reason to pay a little more! I'm assuming you're taking a very early train to SJPDP? The more I think about your idea, the more I like it. It'll help recover from the flight over to Paris and will get you into SJPDP earlier the next day.
I am going to take my time getting to SJPDP. I am not leaving until 11:24am the next day. When I fly over, I am checking my backpack to Paris and traveling with a smaller backpack with my non-hiking clothes and shoes. I am staying about 3 months in Spain, so I am in no hurry. Gathering all my luggage, I will take the train to Bayonne. Then, I have a room at a B&B in SJPDP for the next night. I then begin my walk on my 3rd day in Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

If you don't mind taking the metro with your bags, take RER B from CDG to Châtelet Les Halles or Denfert Rochereau, then transfer to Metro line 4 to Montparnasse.

I am going to take my time getting to SJPDP. I am not leaving until 11:24am the next day. When I fly over, I am checking my backpack to Paris and traveling with a smaller backpack with my non-hiking clothes and shoes. I am staying about 3 months in Spain, so I am in no hurry. Gathering all my luggage, I will take the train to Bayonne. Then, I have a room at a B&B in SJPDP for the next night. I then begin my walk on my 3rd day in Spain.
Oh okay! I wish I could do 3 months but I think my wife would change the locks haha!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So... I am arriving in Paris at 10:30am, but there are no trains until the evening (well, no TICKETS available). I am arriving in Bayonne at midnight. This means - I will be tired - but I do get to spend a day in Paris. I will take the trains to Gare Montparnasse and drop by backpack off in luggage hold. Then I will explore the city until time to go back to the train station. Once I arrive in Bayonne - I will stay at the Ibis because it is super close to the train station, easy walking distance, AND they have late night checkin and a noon checkout time allowing me to sleep in if needed. The disadvantage to this is I will be VERY tired when I get to Bayonne. The advantage is - it will force me to stay awake during my first day - which always helps me get used to the different time zone. I will however have to set my alarm - because I undoubtedly will sleep VERY well that first night! Anyhow - I would have preferred an afternoon train to Bayonne - but this will work out just fine!
You have a plan! That's all that matters! I'm hoping to spend a day or two in Paris when I'm done!

You have a plan! That's all that matters! I'm hoping to spend a day or two in Paris when I'm done!
Yes - if you haven't done Paris before - definitely do it! I have done all the "must see" things, so I am not as concerned about Paris.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

****JUST LEARNED THAT THE RER B LINE IS SUBJECT TO DISRUPTION DUE TO MODERNIZATION AND CONSTRUCTION ON THAT LINE. STARTED AT LEAST 2 TO 3 MONTHS AGO FROM WHAT I'VE READ AND AND WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE INTERMITTENT DISRUPTIONS UNTIL THE YEAR 2025!!!
Currently, the CDG airport site is giving guidance on this.

Have done this several times-- it's the RER B line that you want. It connects Charles de Gaulle Airport (NE of Paris) with Orly Airport (south of Paris). It goes from just off the terminal at the airport and with multiple stops arrives at Gare du Nord, then past Chatlet/Les Halles (which is about midpoint of central downtown Paris), a few more stops to reach Luxembourg and then to the Denfort-Rochereau stop which is near Montparnasse. It is well signed at CDG of where to go to get to the RER B train. There are machines to buy tickets-- it will take a credit card if you don't have Euros. If you miss the signs, just ask someone working there and they will point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
I recommend that you take the RER B line train from the metro station in Charles de Gaulle and get off at Dendert- Rochereau station. From there you can walk, take a bus or a taxi to Gare Montparnesse.
That was my initial plan as well until i decided to spend an extra day in Paris. that said - I am still using RER B
(just that now I will detour to Abesses for that St James Oysters festival :))
IMHO path of less resistance as I am always slightly leery of any 'above the ground' transport and will take metro (or equivalent) over it any time

Have done this several times-- it's the RER B line that you want. It connects Charles de Gaulle Airport (NE of Paris) with Orly Airport (south of Paris). It goes from just off the terminal at the airport and with multiple stops arrives at Gare du Nord, then past Chatlet/Les Halles (which is about midpoint of central downtown Paris), then Luxembourg and then Montparnasse. It is well signed at CDG of where to go to get to the RER B train. There are machines to buy tickets-- it will take a credit card if you don't have Euros. If you miss the signs, just ask someone working there and they will point you in the right direction.
Thank you Jim. Very helpful!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
IIRC there is no stop for Montparnasse (direct) on RER B. You do have to get off at Dendert- Rochereau and then either walk or jump on Metro 6 or 4

Sirron-- see my modified post-- RER line is being modernized and will have intermittent shut-downs and disruptions of services for several more years! See airport website for guidance on this. Surface transport is available but will eat up much more time!

I take the RER B from the airport to Denfert/Rochereau and take the short walk to Montparnasse. It is good to stretch my legs after the flight from the USA.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello, I am going to do the same at the end of August. Is it too much to try and get to SJPP on the same day of arrival? Do you need to buy all the train tickets in advance?

Hello, I am going to do the same at the end of August. Is it too much to try and get to SJPP on the same day of arrival? Do you need to buy all the train tickets in advance?
I wouldn't want to try to get to SJPdP on the same day, but others have done it.
Definitely buy the tickets in advance. The trains do sell out occasionally.

I wouldn't want to try to get to SJPdP on the same day, but others have done it.
Definitely buy the tickets in advance. The trains do sell out occasionally.
We are going the same day but I bought my train tix a couple months ago. I understand the Tix sell out. You may want to try and see what’s available prior to arriving in Paris. The other alternative may be to rent a car and drop it off in Bayonne and the take the train from Bayonne to SJPDP

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back