• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying into BCN — recommendations welcome!

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances; Aragones; VdlP; Madrid-Invierno; Levante
I have bought my ticket, sooner than I anticipated and with no clear idea of what demands will be made of me when I arrive in Spain. I don't yet believe that I am going. The price was right, the transfers were right (one transfer in Canada each way) and I sincerely hope that the time is right. Wish me luck.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have bought my ticket, sooner than I anticipated and with no clear idea of what demands will be made of me when I arrive in Spain. I don't yet believe that I am going. The price was right, the transfers were right (one transfer in Canada each way) and I sincerely hope that the time is right. Wish me luck.
Congratulations! Sounds like you thought through those factors that you could anticipate at this time. None of us really knows what demands will be made of us.. but I consider it to be just another part of My Camino this year! We’ll get through it! Ultrea!

Now that I have my flights booked I shall need to get some information about Barcelona. It had not occurred to me that that city would be part of my caminos. Can anyone suggest where to stay, either near the airport or near the Sants train station? I believe that I shall be taking the train from Barcelona to Valencia, where I shall begin my camino. I had not considered that transportation of all sorts would be frequently available when travelling between two of the biggest cities in Spain. The main train station in Valencia is very central and I have pretty much decided on a hotel close to there for a couple of nights. My flight from Canada arrives in Barcelona too late to try to get another flight and arrive in Valencia past midnight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I flew into Barcelona a few years ago, and if things haven’t changed, taking the airport bus into town is quicker and easier than the Cercanías. But of course if you are going to Sants directly, or if you are going to sleep near Sants, then you want to take the Cercanías.

The bus doesn’t go to Sants, no doubt because the train does.

Here’s the bus website.

You could take the bus to Plaça Catalunya. It is a good central spot, easy to get to Sants the next morning.

I think airport hotels are likely to be on the expensive side. Are you looking for a pensión, a youth hostel, or something else? BCN has so many hotels that the government put a moratorium on building more a few years ago.

So I seem to have misunderstood my booking details (not a good idea). I may be able to take the train to Valencia on the day that I arrive in Barcelona. If there is a Renfe office at the airport, I shall see if I can get a senior's card, for lower train ticket costs. However, I shall definitely need to spend a night in Barcelona before my return flight, as I shall have to be at the airport in good time in the morning. So if anyone can suggest a hotel near the airport or the train station (I shall probably take the train from Santiago) that would be helpful. Someplace like Hostel Viky at Barajas, which provides a bed for the night for people flying out in the morning, then ferries them to the airport, would be ideal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with @peregrina2000 - the A1 bus (blue\white or at least was those colors in Nov 2019) is conveniently located coming out of the terminal and takes about 1/2 hour or so to get into town.
If you want to stay close to Sants - get out at Plaza Espanya (I think its the 1st stop). Plaza Catalunya is the last stop and is very close to La Ramblas - by default Barri Gotic (the old town Barcelona)
in 2019 we stayed at Le Meridian. superb place 1 block away from La Rambles and perhaps 2 from Plaza Catalunia. You can walk La Ramblas all the way to the port and then take a stroll on promenade
The Barcelona Cathedral & Santa Maria Del Mar are also a short walk away.

Plaza Espanya is close to Joan Miro park... I think there are other things to do & see in the area but I never had a chance to explore that part of the city)

This year (yes I pushed The Camino for the next year but the wife had an earning to return to Barcelona so we are going 1st week in August) we are staying at Ilunion Bel Art Hotel which is a bit 'harder' to get to (might still need to take the bus to either stops indicated but then do Metro.... or take the train to Sans and then still Metro) but looks like its in quiet neighborhood and like 10 mins away from La Sagrada Familia and Park Guell (much cheaper than Le Meridien as well :) )

So... there are some choices for you; and here is the info on the bus:

Aerobus

Buen Camino!

What is your departure point out of Canada. I am having trouble finding a non stop flight out of Toronto. I definitely do not want to change planes in New York or Munich. I am hoping as things open up again, that more flights will appear. I have never had difficulties with a direct flight out of Toronto in Madrid or Barcelona. Hope things go well for you this Fall

Someplace like Hostel Viky at Barajas,
Hostel Vicky is in the old town of Barajas and has probably been there since before the airport grew around the town. That’s different from the area around BCN, so I’m guessing that to stay out by the airport you’ll have only the standard airport hotels to pick from. But maybe someone has different first hand info.

For a pension you will probably have more choices near the train station. These places came up. All close by.

Hostal Easy
Hostal Sants
Hostal One

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Now that I have my flights booked I shall need to get some information about Barcelona. It had not occurred to me that that city would be part of my caminos. Can anyone suggest where to stay, either near the airport or near the Sants train station? I believe that I shall be taking the train from Barcelona to Valencia, where I shall begin my camino. I had not considered that transportation of all sorts would be frequently available when travelling between two of the biggest cities in Spain. The main train station in Valencia is very central and I have pretty much decided on a hotel close to there for a couple of nights. My flight from Canada arrives in Barcelona too late to try to get another flight and arrive in Valencia past midnight.
It is very easy to take the bus from the airport to Placa Catalunya. In 2018, we spent a few days in Barcelona before catching the train to Pamplona and then the bus to SJPP. There are lots of lovely /Airbnb properties in the area. We stayed in a super convenient little property on Bon Succes, which is just off Las Ramblas and about a 2-3 minute walk from the Place Catalunya. There is a metro station beneath the Place that will take you to Sants.

Why the desire to skip one of the best cities in Spain (if not the entire world)?!!!! Time may be tight, but to stay at an airport hotel when Barcelona is a short, inexpensive bus ride away would be a travesty!

Plus Montserrat and Manresa are both a short train ride away and have Pilgrim lodgings since they are part of the Camino Ignatius. Definitely worth a day or three if you have the time.

Lucky you! My last trip to Spain was Dec 2019 -Jan 2020. We had to use Barcelona airport hotels because of very early morning connections. First time we stayed at Ciutat del Prat and second time at BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel. Both had free shuttles back and forth to the airport and each time we caught the first shuttle of the morning - I think 5am. We prefered Ciutat del Prat, which had a very friendly, helpful staff. It was also located near a metro if you wanted to go in/out of the city. I booked through Booking.com and did the different hotels because the prices varied for our dates. I think we paid about $100 USD each night.
We loved Valencia. Try to spend at least a day to explore.
Hope this helps. Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I shall not be taking the bus from the airport. I was mistaken in my impression that I would arrive in Barcelona too late to take a train to Valencia. I shall be getting to the train station as quickly as I possibly can to take the next train to Valencia. I have to spend at least one night in Barcelona in order to get my flight to Canada the next day at the end of my camino, so that will be when I shall have the option of spending more time in Barcelona, if I have finished my camino in time. I have had to change all my arrangements on the fly, to avoid having to stop in another country before arriving in Spain, which seems like a good idea in this year when each country can set its own pandemic restrictions. I was also attracted by the Air Canada flight times and cheap airfare, so I wanted to book before changes might be made. I start and finish my journey in Calgary, where I live. But for anyone curious about my flights: to Spain my flight leaves from YUL in Montreal; back to Canada it arrives in YYZ in Toronto.

I too am looking at the same Cgy-BCN flights for September. My new method is to book 1 way only. Then as walk progresses book the return flight.
One thing, Barcelona can be bad for pickpockets and snatchers, especially on Las Ramblas. Twice I was targeted by teams but I had my head up and they went for my decoy pocket which alerted me. I stuff the obvious pocket with my map which is carefully jammed inside to resemble a wallet. When I feel fingers plucking at it I start yelling.

;) I shall be getting to the train station as quickly as I possibly can to take the next train to Valencia.
Albertagirl, while you’re waiting for September to arrive you could figure out what terminal you land in.

And then figure out whether you’ll need to take a shuttle to the terminal where the Cercanias is.

https://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn-transport/99-how-to-get-to-barcelona-airport

Just trying to help you fill what will otherwise be many hours of wishing and waiting. ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We stayed at the AC Sants in 2016. City was pretty full then. We flew into BCN and took the train the next morning so it was convenient. It was clean and had AC. It is a hotel

Last edited:
Just trying to help you fill what will otherwise be many hours of wishing and waiting. ;)
Thanks. You have already helped me fill several hours. As far as I have figured out, the R2N Cercanias line at Terminal 2 of Barcelona airport stops at the Barcelona Sants railway station in three stops. When my plane lands in Barcelona, I shall ask the airline staff if this is terminal one or two, and if terminal 2, "Where are the Cercanias trains?" if terminal one, "Where do I get a green buses to take me to terminal two?" That's as far as I've got, but there's lots of time still to chew on it. Thanks very much.

Thanks. You have already helped me fill several hours. As far as I have figured out, the R2N Cercanias line at Terminal 2 of Barcelona airport stops at the Barcelona Sants railway station in three stops. When my plane lands in Barcelona, I shall ask the airline staff if this is terminal one or two, and if terminal 2, "Where are the Cercanias trains?" if terminal one, "Where do I get a green buses to take me to terminal two?" That's as far as I've got, but there's lots of time still to chew on it. Thanks very much.
Take a look at what airline you are flying and which terminal they are landing in at BCN you might be able to find it here on the airport site : bottom of the page click on airlines for which terminal location

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One of the flight status websites should be able to tell you which terminal Air Canada uses at BCN. Airlines generally always use the same one.

Confirm which train station you need as there are a few.

This is exciting!

If you aren’t tired of looking at old stuff by the time you return to BCN, the Gothic quarter is nice to wander around, and the old Montjuïc Castle (an old military fortress) has lovely views. The old fisher village beside the beach at Barceloneta is nice for a crispy paella made with noodles instead of rice.

Of course, all the Gaudí architecture and especially the Sagrada Familia are worth a visit!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Everyone is so willing to help. So far, in addition to the information about how to get to the Sants train station, I have discovered that Air Canada does not have a regular terminal at Barcelona Airport, but today two Air Canada planes from Frankfurt have landed at Terminal One. What I need to put on my phone are all the addresses of useful websites. Of course, I won't be able to use any of them until I buy a sim card in Spain. Rome2rio tells me that there is a train from Sants station in Barcelona to Joaquin Sorolla station in Valencia every 2 hours and 40 min. but I think it is a little early to try to book a train ticket for September. Likewise, I suspect that I shall get a better price on a hotel room for the end of November if I book later. Only my total unfamiliarity with Barcelona makes me want to find our what I might from those of you are familiar with the city. I am thinking that I am now quite comfortable with starting my camino in Valencia, where I have never been. I have spent so much time on the Valencian pilgrims website and received so much good advice that, when I look at maps.me I feel right at home there. Fortunately, there is lots of time to spend looking at websites and learning from the rest of you before I leave in September. The big thing is: I have bought my ticket so I finally believe that I am going.
Does anyone know if there is a pilgrim's website in Barcelona?

Why the desire to skip one of the best cities in Spain (if not the entire world)?!!!! Time may be tight, but to stay at an airport hotel when Barcelona is a short, inexpensive bus ride away would be a travesty!
My thought exactly!

I spent a couple of weeks in Barcelona in 2015, and still didn't have enough time there!

The better hostels in downtown BCN can very nice. Dorm and private rooms. The dorms tend to attract the party crowd so I’d recommend a private room.
WARNING! If there are soccer matches scheduled for when you’re in BCN the cheap rooms sell out! Usually the weekend.
I stayed in the Casa Gracia, bit of an older crowd. Found here https://casagraciabcn.com/en/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everyone is so willing to help. So far, in addition to the information about how to get to the Sants train station, I have discovered that Air Canada does not have a regular terminal at Barcelona Airport, but today two Air Canada planes from Frankfurt have landed at Terminal One. What I need to put on my phone are all the addresses of useful websites. Of course, I won't be able to use any of them until I buy a sim card in Spain. Rome2rio tells me that there is a train from Sants station in Barcelona to Joaquin Sorolla station in Valencia every 2 hours and 40 min. but I think it is a little early to try to book a train ticket for September. Likewise, I suspect that I shall get a better price on a hotel room for the end of November if I book later. Only my total unfamiliarity with Barcelona makes me want to find our what I might from those of you are familiar with the city. I am thinking that I am now quite comfortable with starting my camino in Valencia, where I have never been. I have spent so much time on the Valencian pilgrims website and received so much good advice that, when I look at maps.me I feel right at home there. Fortunately, there is lots of time to spend looking at websites and learning from the rest of you before I leave in September. The big thing is: I have bought my ticket so I finally believe that I am going.
Does anyone know if there is a pilgrim's website in Barcelona?
I found that there were some very cheap train ticket prices if purchased well in advance. I think that they were called Tourist tickets. They were something like half price or even less, my memory is fading.....

In addition to any other advice offered in connection with Barcelona: keep your hand on your wallet.

That’s not a euphemism, although the advice would still apply if it were.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We took a bus from Barcelona to Jaca where we began the Aragon Valley route. That same bus continued on to Pamplona and was much cheaper than a train and nearly as fast. (Actually, the train was delayed due to a massive snowfall while the bus barely made it through before they closed the pass.

I have stayed at Hostal Sans (Antoni de Capmany, 82, Sants-Montjuïc, Barcelona, 08014, Spain) several times in the past and enjoyed my stays. About a 7 minutes walk to the Sants Station.

If you book elsewhere in Barcelona, the R2 train continues on to 54 Passeig de Gràcia, Barcelona which is somewhat central. The big advantage of the R2 is that you can buy a T-Casual ticket (similar to the discontinued T-10 metro ticket) which gives you 10 rides on the metro one of which can be used on the R2 To get to or from the airport.

For Barcelona I would book early with a free cancellation If you want a cheap room. The lower priced places usually fill up fast.

I spent 2 very full days walking around Barcelona’s Gothic quarter following my Camino F. I stayed in an Airbnb 50m from Picasso museum. So much to see, Barcelona Cathedral, and Santa Maria del Mar as previously mentioned. A fabulous location, loved it, and only left to walk to La Sagrada Familia. Caught a bus from there to the airport for an evening flight back to Aus. I hope you find time to look around.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am flying back to Calgary on the 29th of November, so I expect that is long after the tourist season in Barcelona. However, I shall consider the wise advice to book well ahead, as there are few single rooms with private bath available for a reasonable price in the area of the Sants train station in Barcelona, at least, which I could find.

So far, I have been able to find out very little from Renfe about trains from Barcelona to Valencia, except that there are many trains on that route and there will be a major shuffle in a couple of days, Monday, June 7, which will add 15% more services, in particular, the Ave and Larga Distancia trains. I expect that those will be the routes that I need to get from Barcelona to Valencia and from Santiago to Barcelona. For the rest, I shall walk from Valencia to Santiago.

I just booked a train ticket from Barcelona to Pamplona for early September.
I caught the train from BCN to Pamplona too, arriving at 9:40pm. Waited out a thunderstorm then walked to my accom’ at Hotel Yoldi, which was perfect for me, especially given my long journey from Aus.
Bus to Sjpdp next morning.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
15% more services, in particular, the Ave and Larga Distancia trains. I expect that those will be the routes that I need to get .... from Santiago to Barcelona.
This trip is likely to take all day with a transfer. I think you’re right to expect schedule changes between now and the end of your Levante but I don’t think the times will be much improved from what is showing now. So I think that your travel planning, such as you are able to do, should dedicate a full day for Santiago to BCN.

And remember you will be able to buy your train ticket for that November trip in any Renfe station along the Levante. So you can do it closer to the date when you have a better idea of when you’ll actually arrive in Santiago. And don’t forget you can get half price if you buy that “golden” card on arrival in BCN. Sorry to be the pedant.

re: Train from Barcelona to Valencia - I looked it up as well and there are couple of trains on daily basis not all of them are 2h20min...about 3\day are
here is my question (and i agree with @Albertagirl that info on Renfe is not 'very helpful') and perhaps some of the Spain residents may know a bit more
I see an Acceso T.Turistico discount option, but there is NOTHING anywhere that explains what it is and how can one use it\get it etc.
So, could someone from Esteemed Members here shed some light please?

@CWBuff
Just to let you know that, shortly after I posted about trains to Valencia on this thread, Air Canada cancelled my direct flights to and from Canada. I had to start again with a new set of flights and challenges, so I cannot help at all with this. Sorry,
@Albertagirl

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@CWBuff
Just to let you know that, shortly after I posted about trains to Valencia on this thread, Air Canada cancelled my direct flights to and from Canada. I had to start again with a new set of flights and challenges, so I cannot help at all with this. Sorry,
@Albertagirl
Hi @Albertagirl
I didnt think you would since you are the one with "just as many questions" (and I am sorry that your flights got canceled)
I hope someone who perhaps lives in Spain will be able to answer my question (and then, hopefully, WE ALL can benefit)
Buen Camino - you WILL persevere 👍

re: Train from Barcelona to Valencia - I looked it up as well and there are couple of trains on daily basis not all of them are 2h20min...about 3\day are
here is my question (and i agree with @Albertagirl that info on Renfe is not 'very helpful') and perhaps some of the Spain residents may know a bit more
I see an Acceso T.Turistico discount option, but there is NOTHING anywhere that explains what it is and how can one use it\get it etc.
So, could someone from Esteemed Members here shed some light please?
You access this discount by buying the tickets when they are displayed on the Renfe website. There is only a limited number of tickets and so they may be all sold on a particular journey.

They are non-refundable tickets for Tourista class seats. See following link for an explanation of Spanish Rail seat classes: https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-spain.htm#Spanish_train_classes

So I seem to have misunderstood my booking details (not a good idea). I may be able to take the train to Valencia on the day that I arrive in Barcelona. If there is a Renfe office at the airport, I shall see if I can get a senior's card, for lower train ticket costs. However, I shall definitely need to spend a night in Barcelona before my return flight, as I shall have to be at the airport in good time in the morning. So if anyone can suggest a hotel near the airport or the train station (I shall probably take the train from Santiago) that would be helpful. Someplace like Hostel Viky at Barajas, which provides a bed for the night for people flying out in the morning, then ferries them to the airport, would be ideal.
Are Senior Discount Cards available to non-Spaniards? Tell me more!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had a Renfe senior's card: "Tarjeta Dorada" on my first pilgrimage. I don't think that I ever used it. Now that I have had my original flights cancelled by Air Canada, there is a good chance that all my travel to and from airports will be by bus, so I may decide not to get one this year, or just never get around to purchasing one.

And

Sales channels
The Golden Card can be purchased at the Ticket Offices of the Stations, Ceuta Sales Office and Face-to-Face Travel Agencies.

Depending on the type of service, the transport tickets associated with this discount can be purchased at the Station Ticket Offices, Ceuta Sales Office, renfe.com, Face-to-Face and Virtual Travel Agencies, Telephone Sales, Renfe Ticket, Multiproduct Self-Sales Machines , Self-selling machines for Cercanías and Feve.

Last edited:
see an Acceso T.Turistico discount option, but there is NOTHING anywhere that explains what it is and how can one use it\get it etc.
Really difficult to find information about this. It seems that is a discount that you can get when you want to travel to a train station where a trip on an expensive Tren Turistico starts. You need a promo code to activate the discount and you presumably get the code with the purchase of the trip on the T.Turístico.

€149,-
Yes, they are called Tarjeta Dorada and can only be purchased in person at a Renfe station. They cost about 5€ and are good for a year. The range of discounts depends on the type of train and day of the week. Once you have the card, I believe you can use your tarjeta to get the discount in an online purchase, but I have never tried to do that.

The attached screen shot shows how the discount depends on which train you use. It is in Spanish but easy to understand.

The so-called PROMO fares are actually much cheaper, with discounts up to 70%. But there are only a few per train and they sell out quickly. More info here.

Attachments

• 6DE4A5DB-616E-4E5B-BB72-C43C7924211F.png
    6DE4A5DB-616E-4E5B-BB72-C43C7924211F.png
    635.4 KB · Views: 9
Yes, they are called Tarjeta Dorada and can only be purchased in person at a Renfe station. They cost about 5€ and are good for a year. The range of discounts depends on the type of train and day of the week. Once you have the card, I believe you can use your tarjeta to get the discount in an online purchase, but I have never tried to do that.

The attached screen shot shows how the discount depends on which train you use. It is in Spanish but easy to understand.

The so-called PROMO fares are actually much cheaper, with discounts up to 70%. But there are only a few per train and they sell out quickly. More info here.
Much appreciated!!!! Thanks, peregrina2000!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back