• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying into Bilbao and other questions

bbz180

I will be flying out from Cologne, Germany to Bilbao on the 22nd of September.

Does anyone know the best method of travel to SJPP?

Also, will the weather drastically get colder in October on the camino? Trying to pack least as possible but since this is my first trip to Europe I have no idea what the weather in Spain is like during the fall.

Lastly, has anyone used their iPhone during the camino? Just wondering if I should even bother to take my phone.

I have been reading this forum for about 2 years now and I've finally worked up my nerves experience the camino myself. Counting down the days until my first step...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Re: Flying into Bilbao

Hi :)

I'm afraid I know nothing about the travel in your question, but I just wanted to say Hi !

We'll be on the Camino a few days ahead of you - walking slowly, so you'll probably catch us up.

Buen Camino
chinacat

Here begins the Journey
Now begins the Day.
With one step upon the Road
Your soul is on its Way.
JS Selfe

You can get a bus from Bilbao to Biarritz and then a train to St Jean. The bus Bilbao - Biarritz goes twice a day (at 7.30 and at 1300 hours) and takes 2.45 hours - costs 17.85 euro. The company is PESA http://www.pesa.net.
There are also many ALSA buses a day to IRUN so if those times don't suit you, you could get to Biarritz from Irun.

The weather is unpredictable in October. It also depends on how late into October you'll be walking. Last year people reported a few rainy, windy and cold days with early snows at Roncevalles and O Cebreiro in late October.

30th October 2008 - news video of wintery weather across Spain:
http://www.rtve.es/mediateca/videos/200 ... as&s2=&s3=

Remember that some albergues close at the end of September.

Have a wonderful walk!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

bbz180 said:
...Also, will the weather drastically get colder in October on the camino? Trying to pack least as possible but since this is my first trip to Europe I have no idea what the weather in Spain is like during the fall.

Lastly, has anyone used their iPhone during the camino? Just wondering if I should even bother to take my phone.

I have been reading this forum for about 2 years now and I've finally worked up my nerves experience the camino myself. Counting down the days until my first step...

We were on the Camino last year during that odd snow storm. The weather was very nice the week leading up to that day. It did get colder the day before with rain. We were not prepared for snow or real cold but I bought a warm, waterproof hat and we walked on until the next day when we quit to start our journey home. Don't worry, you can always layer your clothes for warmth and like Sil has said before on this forum you can always buy some pantyhose for underwarmth. ;)

I work with a group of IPhone users and they all say that they work everywhere but I don't know anyone who has gone to Spain and used in on the Camino. You could do a post separately on the forum and see what others say.

Congrats for getting up the nerve. It's a little scary thinking about it but once on the trail the people you meet will remove any trace of apprehensiveness you thought you had. The journey is truly the reward. Perhaps we will see you. We plan to be starting where we left off last fall in Estella on Sunday Sept 27th.

Happy Trails and Buen Camino,
Nicole (& Rob)

Just counting down the days...

Thank you all for posting your replies. It has been tremendously helpful preparing for my camino. 8 more days until my journey begins. Thank you sillydoll for the links for the bus travel from Bilbao. I think it is more stressful packing for this trip than the actual journey...haha

bbz180 said:
Also, will the weather drastically get colder in October on the camino? Trying to pack least as possible but since this is my first trip to Europe I have no idea what the weather in Spain is like during the fall.

I did the Camino in October last year - setting off on 3rd October from SJPP for Santiago and then on to Fisterra. Till Burgos, I found it hot - I wore t-shirt and sunglasses during the day - other pilgrims around me were happy in shorts (I don't wear shorts as I don't have the legs for them!). After Burgos it was a different story - it was 18 October by then and out came my fleece and a thin windbreaker. At night we started to favour the albergues that had heating over those that did not. When I reached Leon, I had to buy a proper outdoors jacket with fleece lining. In Astorga I bought a hat and gloves - just in time for the snow that fell on 1 November.

Funnily enough, when I later did the Santiago to Fisterra leg, I was lucky as we had freaky nice weather that week (15-18 Nov), and I was able once again to wear just a vest and a t-shirt during the day :mrgreen:

Weather is difficult to predict - I think the above demonstrates you have to be prepared for a whole range of temperatures while you are there - it's been said many times on this forum before: just make sure you take lots of layers with you.

Good luck!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back