• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying into Bilbao for May 24 start at Irun - Returning via Train

Rajy62

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013, Norte/primitivo 2014, vdlp (2015)
I am flying into Bilbao and plan to start from Irun on May 24th. My return flight is also from Bilbao. There are four scheduled bus services daily from santiago compostela to Bilbao. But prefer taking the train. Apparently one can take the RENFE train from sdc to Ourense-empalme and then directly to Bilbao.

Has anyone taken this train route. I can't seem to clearly see the route/schedule from their website; http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/horarios.html

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
adif operates the train stations and they have a useful map.
http://www.adif.es/AdifWeb/estacionesMapa.jsp?i=es_ES

Renfe does operate trains from Santiago to Bilbao. I looked for 15 May and found 1 train requiring transfer at Ourense. 10 hours.

Another option is Santiago to Medina del Campo then Medina del Campo to Bilbao. It would take longer but there are more trains if you go this way.

3rd option. Renfe operates FEVE trains. These are narrow gauge trains that run along the coast starting at Ferrol. Its possible to link them together and arrive at Bilbao. Not sure how time efficient this would be.
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/feve/mapas/index.html

There is one bus which is scheduled overnight, the ride is uncomfortable and crowded but it arrives early morning in Bilbao and takes less than 10 hours. The north coast of Spain is not very train friendly.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is one bus which is scheduled overnight, the ride is uncomfortable and crowded but it arrives early morning in Bilbao and takes less than 10 hours. The north coast of Spain is not very train friendly.
I saw that bus schedule, i would probably take the early morning one at 5:30 AM, it takes about the same amount of time. The Renfe train actually runs inland (Sdc - Ourense, Penferrdo, Leon,Burgos ) to Bilbao and should offer goof scenary. There is a feve coast route but it will take several connection and require lot more time. Looks like the Renfe is fully booked after June 14th.

I saw that bus schedule, i would probably take the early morning one at 5:30 AM, it takes about the same amount of time. The Renfe train actually runs inland (Sdc - Ourense, Penferrdo, Leon,Burgos ) to Bilbao and should offer goof scenary. There is a feve coast route but it will take several connection and require lot more time. Looks like the Renfe is fully booked after June 14th.

There probably a summer schedule upcoming. So no good information after 14 June. Usually its done only 4 weeks in advance for the less important routes. Check again in a week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
There probably a summer schedule upcoming. So no good information after 14 June. Usually its done only 4 weeks in advance for the less important routes. Check again in a week or so.
Great news, That explains why there wasn't any scheduled departures after June 14th. I will check before i leave.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took the bus from Santiago to Santander overnight, leaving in the late afternoon and arriving very early in the morning, it was crowded but OK as a form of transport, and it saved paying for a bed for the night. I had a couple of days left before my flight home, so stayed on the bus for a few stops further East, then re-walked two days of the camino back to Santander. It was a nice way to end, but I enjoyed those two days so much, that if I had been true to my feelings I would have walked to Santiago all over again! Hope you have a great camino.

Why not check out a flight from La Coruña to Bilbo? Vueling has a direct flight from there and it only takes an hour.

Ondo Ibili !
I have a whole day to kill. If trains don't work of course flying is an option. But, i love trains and enjoy seeing the country this way also while relaxing in the train.

Last year end of June I took the train from Santiago to Bilbao. I left Bilbao Renfe train station around 730am. Stopped and changed trains in Oursense, costs about $25 Arrived Bilbao early evening, 6ish. Was a great relaxing ride.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back