• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying into France or Spain from US with a one-way ticket.

JanetEllen

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan Sept/Oct 2014
I am planning to purchase a one-way ticket to Paris, take the train to SJ, walk the Camino, then decide when to fly home to the US and from where (maybe Madrid). I am a US Citizen.
My question is: How to I find out if it OK to enter France/Spain without a return ticket? Will it require a Visa? Etc. I'm sure many of you have gone this way and would appreciate your feedback.
JanetEllen

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Janet-- what is your citizenship? I would certainly pose this question to the airline(s).

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Janet

Should not be an issue but the border folks in Paris might ask when you plan to leave (correct answer is within 90 days) and from where ( Madrid is good, easy to get to from Santiago)

This said an open jaws return ticket is a lot cheaper than two one tickets.

Last edited:
No visa is required to visit either France or Spain if (1) you are a US citizen, and (2) you stay for less than six months. But, all you have to do is visit Morocco in North Africa and you get a fresh six months because you can prove you left the EU and then returned.

Regarding the one way ticket issue, you can call the airline and check the US State Department website (which has links to websites of various nations) for information on travel. In theory, the French could get a little nervous because it looks like you have no definite plans to leave within six months. The other issue with one way tickets is that it makes some TSA types nervous (terrorists save valuable jihad funds by buying one way tickets). If you pay for the one way ticket in cash, then you pique the interest of the DEA (not sure why, but one way tickets paid in cash excites them for some reason). But all that being said, I don't think it is going to be a problem. And besides, who doesn't mind having a little extra attention from the NSA?

No visa is required to visit either France or Spain if (1) you are a US citizen, and (2) you stay for less than six months. But, all you have to do is visit Morocco in North Africa and you get a fresh six months because you can prove you left the EU and then returned.

Regarding the one way ticket issue, you can call the airline and check the US State Department website (which has links to websites of various nations) for information on travel. In theory, the French could get a little nervous because it looks like you have no definite plans to leave within six months. The other issue with one way tickets is that it makes some TSA types nervous (terrorists save valuable jihad funds by buying one way tickets). If you pay for the one way ticket in cash, then you pique the interest of the DEA (not sure why, but one way tickets paid in cash excites them for some reason). But all that being said, I don't think it is going to be a problem. And besides, who doesn't mind having a little extra attention from the NSA?

Hello Robert

The information you provided is incorrect. The maximum amount time one can spend in the Schengen area which includes Spain and France, etc is 90 days within 180 day period. Once you have reached this limit you must leave the region for 90 days, before returning to the Schengen area.

So a short side trip to Morocco would not qualify.

Here is a link that describes the Schengen Area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

Regards

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Never had a problem flying into GB, Spain or France with a one way ticket. Also, know numerous others who have had no problem

Hello Robert

The information you provided is incorrect. The maximum amount time one can spend in the Schengen area which includes Spain and France, etc is 90 days within 180 day period. Once you have reached this limit you must leave the region for 90 days, before returning to the Schengen area.

So a short side trip to Morocco would not qualify.

Here is a link that describes the Schengen Area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

Regards
I've been reading about the Schengen agreement. It does not apply to US citiczens... It is for residents of the Schengen States.

• If you are a qualified visitor for tourism or business with a valid U.S. passport, you can apply to enter the Schengen area without a visa for a period of 90 days within each 180 day period. Please check our Country Specific Information page for passport validity requirements for your destination country.
  • You can travel freely from one member country to another without presenting your passport at each country’s border within the Schengen area.
  • Note: A country may reintroduce border controls at internal borders temporarily when facing a serious threat to public policy or security.
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/schengen-fact-sheet.html

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Schengen agreement definitely applies to US citizens. We are limited to 90 days in a 180 day period in all Schengen countries combined (boo hoo!)

I have arrived into European airports several dozen times, many of those times without an exit flight, and have never been asked to show proof of a departure flight. I have also left the US on one-way tickets to Europe, and have never been asked why or to document anything. Even if TSA were to question you, they are not in communication with the immigration officials in Europe, so there would be no connection there.

If asked, state your intent to leave Europe within 90 days, and if pressed, indicate you are going to England, Ireland, or Scotland but have not yet bought your ticket. And don't forget to smile and say 'thank you' in the language of the immigration official!

You should not have a problem. I have done so many times. You are allow to stay for 90 days then you must leave.

I have arrived into European airports several dozen times, many of those times without an exit flight, and have never been asked to show proof of a departure flight. I have also left the US on one-way tickets to Europe, and have never been asked why or to document anything. Even if TSA were to question you, they are not in communication with the immigration officials in Europe, so there would be no connection there.

http://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/new_zealand/eu_travel/visa/index_en.htm

New Zealanders benefit from the short-stay visa waiver, as long as they (a) do not intend to work; (b) hold a passport valid for at least 3 months after date of return; and (c) have a return ticket. Border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket.

It's the same rule for Americans.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It certainly would help everyone on this forum if posters would check their validity rather than posting their "guesses". The poster who found out he didn't have enough time to finish his Camino with the 90 day limit would have been in big trouble if he'd taken the "go to Morocco" route. As for the "one-way " ticket you're much better off buying a RT or open jaw and then, even with the penalty, change it if you have to.

I've never flown into Europe on a one-way ticket, but I've never been asked in the half-dozen or so times I've been there if I had a round-trip ticket. However, if your return plans are indefinite, I would consider the open-jaw option that jirit mentioned just to make sure you're covered in case you do get asked about your return journey.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Janet, I am also a US citizen. I flew to Perris last year and took the train to SJ. From there I did the walk then took the train to Madrid. I was never asked for a Visa just my passport when I landed and took off and stayed in Hostels. You should have no problems. It is easier to book both flights a head of time as they are lower cost. I flew in and just had to return flight booked 6 weeks later. That was plenty of time to complete the walk. If you have more time then I had 7-8 weeks would give you more time to enjoy each location a little more. Take your time and just enjoy the walk, make lots of friends(that you will keep well past the walk), eat great food and have no expectations. Jeff

I am planning to purchase a one-way ticket to Paris, take the train to SJ, walk the Camino, then decide when to fly home to the US and from where (maybe Madrid). I am a US Citizen.
My question is: How to I find out if it OK to enter France/Spain without a return ticket? Will it require a Visa? Etc. I'm sure many of you have gone this way and would appreciate your feedback.
JanetEllen

US Department of State provides travel information for US citizens. Click the 'travel' tab. The information is usually kept up to date. You're supposed to confirm with embassy of country of travel for the most up to date information. Eurozone is stable enough that changes are unlikely to happen overnight so usually no point in double checking.

US Dept of State
http://www.state.gov/

… and if you overstay your 90 days, you could have your passport stamped and never be allowed to return.
So it's a big chance a person takes if they don't obey the rules.
I'd love to stay longer - and maybe someday it will change.
But for now, it's 90 days in a 6 month period.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The maximum amount time one can spend in the Schengen area which includes Spain and France, etc is 90 days within 180 day period. Once you have reached this limit you must leave the region for 90 days, before returning to the Schengen area.

Here is a link that describes the Schengen Area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area
Let's say that I'm a US citizen looking to make a very long pilgrimage, starting, say, in Berlin, down to Santiago, then over to Rome. If I read the Wikipedia article correctly, if I obtained a long-term visa (e.g. Spain), I could spend up to 90 days combined in the other countries (e.g. Germany, France, Italy).

Has anyone done something like that for expended pilgrimages?

It certainly would help everyone on this forum if posters would check their validity rather than posting their "guesses". The poster who found out he didn't have enough time to finish his Camino with the 90 day limit would have been in big trouble if he'd taken the "go to Morocco" route. As for the "one-way " ticket you're much better off buying a RT or open jaw and then, even with the penalty, change it if you have to.
I agree with indyinmaine.
So many people including jrit giving the regulation advice -but others indicating that 'should not be a problem ' are confusing the reader.

Best advice is to take responsibility and check out with your country's regulations. If it's hard to comprehend, ask your country 's travel advisery to explain it .

You could be 'the one ' that is scrutinised , whereupon the result -could be as per AnnieSantiago's post with passport stamped. Overstayed visa!

Annie

Let's say that I'm a US citizen looking to make a very long pilgrimage, starting, say, in Berlin, down to Santiago, then over to Rome. If I read the Wikipedia article correctly, if I obtained a long-term visa (e.g. Spain), I could spend up to 90 days combined in the other countries (e.g. Germany, France, Italy).

Has anyone done something like that for expended pilgrimages?

This is correct. You would need to get a country specific visa - sometimes generally known as a Schengen visa D but more correctly a visa for a specific country like Spain.

Telling the authorities that you want to walk across half a dozen countries from Berlin to Santiago won't get you a visa.

Instead you will need to apply under the specific requirements for whatever specific visa you believe you would qualify for, meeting the requirements for that visa which normally include independent health coverage, sufficient income, rental or residential agreements, and a police check plus loads of paperwork and documentation, etc.

There is also the issue of taxation - in other words stay longer than 180 days and you will be required to file and pay Spanish income taxes, etc, along with your american taxes, etc.

In summary plenty of work, time and expenses lies ahead if you decide to go this route. Personally not recommended

€60,-
In summary plenty of work, time and expenses lies ahead if you decide to go this route. Personally not recommended
And, the 180 days looks backwards from each day of the trip, creating a sliding window? Thus, with 90 days in between, the new days add in as the old days fall off?

And, the 180 days looks backwards from each day of the trip, creating a sliding window? Thus, with 90 days in between, the new days add in as the old days fall off?
The exact wording is 90 days within a 180 day period which means I guess the clock starts day one and if you exceed 90 days during the next 180 days then you have overstayed your welcome.

The only way to overcome this is to leave the Schengen area for at least 90 days, and I guess the clock would restart again.

So if you plan to walk from Berlin to Santiago then sometime before you have stayed 90 days you must stop the walk, leave the area and stay away for at least 90 days before returning.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No best to think of the past 180 days.

They wouldn't stop you for the next 180 days because they can't really know how long you'd be in country. But they can count back wards and see if you're in violation of the rule.

In theory you could hit the 90 day limit. Fly out for a day. Fly back for a day. Fly out.

No best to think of the past 180 days.

They wouldn't stop you for the next 180 days because they can't really know how long you'd be in country. But they can count back wards and see if you're in violation of the rule.

In theory you could hit the 90 day limit. Fly out for a day. Fly back for a day. Fly out.

They stamp you in and out and scan your passport each time, thus they know full well how long you have been in the region - I had first hand experience of what happens when you overstay the 90 day limit.

They stamp you in and out and scan your passport each time, thus they know full well how long you have been in the region - I had first hand experience of what happens when you overstay the 90 day limit.

Yes but that's looking backwards. They know how long you've already been.

The 180 days is a rolling period. If you've been in the zone for less then 90 days during the last 180 you're okay.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

And to clarify my fuzzy brain. The out one day in the next would only work if your first day in was 180 days ago.

Please realize "THE THEY" you keep referring to are reading this thread. You are allowed to stay in the Schengen countries with an US Passport for 90 days. Afterwards you are in trouble! It applies to Europeans visiting the US as well, thus the collapse of the real estate market in Florida several years ago. If you want to stay longer legally the process is available but complicated and expensive as well.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back