• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying into Paris???

PadreTeeJay

Time of past OR future Camino
Leaving the US June 2013 for my first Camino.
So I am departing the US for my first Camino in June 2013. I had planned on flying into Paris then catching a train down to St. Jean.

Has anyone else done this or is there another way that you would recommend? Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was told the best bet is to fly into CDG, catch a bus to Orly, fly to Biarritz, then catch a train to Saint Jean.

*EDIT* You no longer need to bus to Orly to fly to Biarritz, you can do so from CDG for a little more than $200. Then catch a train to St. Jean.

Or take the train for less then half that. Paris with a change in Bayonne.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I first walked a few years ago, I flew to CDG for a short layover, then flew to BIQ easily. It seems I was lucky as I didn't have to go to Orly. I don't ever check luggage, so a quick trip to ATM and right out of the airport to catch the bus was easy. I might have waited 10 minutes for bus to take me 20 minutes to Bayonne. It was easy for me to catch train from Bayonne to SJPdP. While I was waiting for train, I had time to pick up food supplies for the next day, a beer and chocolate for the wait. Arrived in SJPdP in about an hour and a half. Made it in time for dinner at the alburgue, cleaned up, started walking half 6 the next morning.

This worked out perfectly for me, but for others taking the train makes sense as well.

Last august I flew into CDG (spent two day in Paris) then caught the high speed train to Bordeaux, with two more changes to St Jean. It was easy and relatively, quick for the number of miles covered. I booked my tickets straight through from the US. (Just googled Paris to St Jean.) At the time that I purchased the tickets I decided to print them out at the train station kiosk-- the website says it's simple-- it's not if you don't speak French. I'd print them at home before I leave next time. The train across France is a great way to start your Camino! Katherine

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all! I think I am going to fly into Paris then take the train down. I have yet to spend any time in Paris/ France and would enjoy the time in the city and on the train.

Katherine what is the website for purchasing the tickets if you have it handy?

Blessings! T.J.

Hi TJ,
I went through http://www.raileurope.com. It was easy. I did end up calling them because they were having computer issues the day I tried to pay online. They're located in the US, so the agents speak English. All went smoothly. The TGV southbound train leaves from Montparnasse station. It's at a big metro stop--easy to get to. Let me warn you though, Paris is addicting. I flew home thorough Paris as well, so had two days on that end to spend there. As it happened, Sandy came through the East Coast the day I was scheduled to leave and my connecting flight in Philadelphia was cancelled, unfortunately, I was stranded in Paris for an extra 5 days! Enough time to really fall in love with the place. Let me recommend a concert at Saint Chapelle, or any of the other churches. This is not to diminish the love I already had for Spain.

Best of luck,
Katherine

My family and I were also planning on catching the train from Paris to SJPP. I'd like to see some of the country before moving on, even if it's by high-speed train! It's good to see there are a few options though, just in case we run into any problems.

I just have another question about the trains from Paris to SJPP actually: When it says "Reservation not included" what does that mean? Are we at risk of not getting on the connecting train or need to buy a separate ticket? I couldn't find an explanation on the website anywhere.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Laliibeans said:
My family and I were also planning on catching the train from Paris to SJPP. I'd like to see some of the country before moving on, even if it's by high-speed train! It's good to see there are a few options though, just in case we run into any problems.

I just have another question about the trains from Paris to SJPP actually: When it says "Reservation not included" what does that mean? Are we at risk of not getting on the connecting train or need to buy a separate ticket? I couldn't find an explanation on the website anywhere.

Lalibeans,

What says "Reservation not included" and where ?

You need a reserved seat for the TGVs but the local TER line 62 trains to SJPdP do NOT have reserved seats. These are similar to trams or metros. The ticket is for transport only. If a seat is available you take it; if not you stand.

If by chance the TGV train is late arriving in Bayonne the local TER train to SJPdP usually waits for the TGV to arrive and any passengers to connect before it departs.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks, Margaret. It did say TGV-reserved and TER - Reservation not included, so that clears that up! I was worried that it meant that on the off chance you miss the connection you just have to buy a ticket on the next train or something.

Thanks again :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am flying from the USA into Paris (CDG), then taking a bus/taxi...whatever, to the Paris Montparnasse train station, a 40-minute trip from the airport. Taking a bullet train to Bayonne, then connect with another train to SJPP.
I think you can catch the train from CDG2 which is the lower level of the airport, but the schedule didn't work for me and I wanted to run a couple of errands in Paris, so needed a couple of hours between deplane and the train. That's the reason I chose to take the train from the Montparnasse station.
I know some people fly to Biarritz, but I really wanted to experience the train, see the countryside, and take my time. Catching another plane just didn't sound as romantic as catching the train from Paris.

Buen Camino!

Are you sure? I'm surprised if taxi or bus from CDG to Montparnasse is quicker than train and metro. Trains do not get caught up in the Paris traffic.

Thanks for ALl the info everyone. I am arriving in Paris from California on the 24th of May and will use All this advice to get down to St Jean. Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back