• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying into Porto need to get to Burgos

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You could also fly to Madrid and bus to Burgos.

Options on Rom2Rio.com

I have walked to the center of Burgos from the train station but if you are jetlagged or exhausted, I would suggest a taxi to the place you are staying.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I took a train from Santiago to Burgos (then on by bus to Najera) in November, 2021, with the help of various forum members. A city bus stopped at a bus shelter in front of the train station then went on to close to the bus station in the centre of Burgos. You can see the Cathedral from there. I am not familiar with bus transport from Porto, but the rest of the trip is quite simple. The train and bus stations are now connected in Santiago.

Last edited:
I am flying from Vancouver Canada into Porto, Portugal and need to get to Burgos. Any ideas for the best way to do this currently.
At present it looks like Canadians are not being given entrance into Portugal because of covid restrictions. I wonder why TAP airlines is showing flights from Canada if you can’t fly in. It also looks unclear whether Spain is allowing non EU people in as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
At present it looks like Canadians are not being given entrance into Portugal because of covid restrictions. I wonder why TAP airlines is showing flights from Canada if you can’t fly in. It also looks unclear whether Spain is allowing non EU people in as well.
Canadians can fly to Portugal. There is just lack of clarity and a big confusion about whether Canadians (and others) can board a flight with just their vaccination passport or whether they need a vaccination passport and proof of a negative test. (Please: No links. I’ve seen them all).

Official Spanish websites have much clearer language: Vaccinated travellers from around the world are allowed in.

I agree with others: Fly to Madrid and then take a bus or train to Burgos. Easy and fast. Been there, done that.

Edited following changes on official Portuguese websites since posting this comment.

Last edited:
Another one for Madrid. They make it easy but..

.. just came back a couple of weeks ago from Madrid. Used the inter-terminal bus where we were almost nose-to-nose. Driver simply lets everyone on that wants to (and can fit).

So they will check you're vaccinated (as that is the law) and will make sure you are wearing a mask but the reality is that most people just want to get back to normal.

And it will seem normal as the Madrid metro is exactly the same as the bus.

.. just came back a couple of weeks ago from Madrid. Used the inter-terminal bus where we were almost nose-to-nose. Driver simply lets everyone on that wants to (and can fit).
Of course, if you arrive at terminal T4, you don't even have to use the inter-terminal bus. And on the Alsa bus from terminal T4 to Burgos (travel time: 2h30) you can block the seat next to you for a mere €5,82 which I think is something new.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am flying from Vancouver Canada into Porto, Portugal and need to get to Burgos. Any ideas for the best way to do this currently.
The bus/train combination works OK. You can also get from Porto to Burgos by bus only, with a connection outside of Santiago (I cannot remember the name of the town). The benefits are: much cheaper fare and you disembark at the intermodal bus station in Burgos which is very near to the city center. Check online or enquire at the Porto bus terminal.

When are you planning to arrive in Burgos? My wife and I will be hospitaleros at the Albergue de Peregrinos Emaus at the re-opening on April 1st for two weeks.

Buen Camino!

You could also fly to Madrid and bus to Burgos.

Options on Rom2Rio.com

Without a doubt a better option. I have also found some really cheap flights from Santiago back to Madrid after my Caminos. Cheaper than the train on a some instances.

Thanks for all of this. The RE0Open Euro app, certainly makes it sound like travel is not open to non EU residents. I will look at the official Porteguese website.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The other question I have are you (responders) Americans? For some strange reason Canada is not on the list to fly in (even though our covid numbers are much lower per 100,000). Not sure what that is about.

The RE Open Euro app, certainly makes it sound like travel is not open to non EU residents. I will look at the official Porteguese website.
The country information on Reopen-EU can only be as good as the information that each EU country provides to those who manage Reopen-EU. For Portugal it currently says:

What are the rules to enter this country from outside an EU Member State or Schengen Associated country?
Entry rules - arriving to mainland Portugal by air or by sea:
Essential and non-essential travel is allowed from Brazil, the United Kingdom and the United States.
An updated list of countries with flights authorised for non-essential is available on visitportugal.com.
So this goes round in circles because you are sent to Visitportugal again. It's now already several days since the restrictions set by Portugal have been made easier. There ought to be feedback from actual travellers soon.

Last edited:
I do not see mention of Canada here, nor on the visit portugal. I will have to dig deeper I guess. Thanks for all the help.

The bus/train combination works OK. You can also get from Porto to Burgos by bus only, with a connection outside of Santiago (I cannot remember the name of the town). The benefits are: much cheaper fare and you disembark at the intermodal bus station in Burgos which is very near to the city center. Check online or enquire at the Porto bus terminal.

When are you planning to arrive in Burgos? My wife and I will be hospitaleros at the Albergue de Peregrinos Emaus at the re-opening on April 1st for two weeks.

Buen Camino!
I will keep that in mind. Not sure yet. Still unsure about the Canadian piece getting into Portugal.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back