• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying Ryanair

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will hear varying opinions. I think a lot depends on the sector you are flying and the policies of the security at either end.....

As I recall, the general policy flying out of Santiago, is no poles as cabin luggage. But others will have more up to date information.

Out of Santiago never poles in handluggage.
I saw it again last week happening when another pilgrim had to find a solution.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I absolutely NEEDED a pole four years ago, due to feet bandaged from blisters. I was asked
"Where is the hospital documentation saying you need a pole?"
"They didn't give me any!" I replied.
"Rubbish! They will always give you a letter! The pole must go in the hold!"
And so it did. There was no charge - but the pole didn't re-appear when we got to the UK. So I lost a pole, learned a lesson, bought a collapsible one, and now always put it in the hold luggage.
Onwards and upwards!

Does anybody knows if the walking poles are allowed to carry on board?
Thank you, Roberto

Ryanair's detailed terms and conditions state that hiking poles must be in checked baggage. If flying from the UK then Government regulations also apply similarly.

However, I have breezed through a regional UK airport with 4 poles and on board though not Ryanair. Returning from Girona with Ryanair I blagged my way through security who did try to put them in the hold.

I prefer less hassle now so have bought z poles and check them in inside my backpack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
RyanAir just pinged me €55 for not checking in online. I had tried to check in but the airline did not recognise my booking.

Never mind. Just a caution to those who fly RyanAir to ensure they check in online.

I will let my travel agent know when I get back.

I went ahead and paid for premium seats which allowed me to bring my back pack on board with my z-fold poles as well as a 2nd small carry on that fit under the seat. I put my bulky items in there that would have caused my back pack to be to big. My water bottles, my Crocs, my toiletries in a clear bag, and my poles. This worked great from Frankfurt to Porto and back again. If we would have had to check something, that would have been covered in this price.

We checked in for both flights a few days before leaving and printed up both boarding tickets.

All went smoothly and we felt the extra cost was well worth it. Round trip for 2 people ended up being around 220€, which was still half the price of any other airline and was a direct flight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last week I flew via Ryanair, Manchester to Madrid. No problem on the outbound trip but on the return trip my (very cheap!) poles were confiscated by security at Madrid, saying they were illegal on flights from Spain.
On both flights the poles were INSIDE my carry on rucksack.

Yes I understand the problem is mostly in the security check. I live in Israel and never was denied by security check to take on board the poles.
Well, let’s enjoy the adventure (I’ll take the cheap poles)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Flew with ryanair last monday from Porto back home. Poles are not allowed on board their planes. We checked in our luggage. Horrible flightcompany by the way. You feel like cattle chased into a big cattle trailer. I hate this company with non respect for their clients
My next fligt to Porto september next will definitively not with this Mickey Mouse company

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.