• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying to Spain for El Camino del Norte

andrespuente14

Hello peregrinos!

I wondered if anyone could give me any advice of where to fly to if starting the Camino at Irun? I walked the Camino Frances 3 years ago and now have itchy feet! I'd like to walk as much as I can and have heard that the earlier stages are some of the most beautiful.

I would welcome any advice of where to fly to and any good albergues in Irun if possible!

Gracias, Andres, :lol:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
andrespuente14 said:
Hello peregrinos!

I wondered if anyone could give me any advice of where to fly to if starting the Camino at Irun? I walked the Camino Frances 3 years ago and now have itchy feet! I'd like to walk as much as I can and have heard that the earlier stages are some of the most beautiful.

I would welcome any advice of where to fly to and any good albergues in Irun if possible!

Gracias, Andres, :lol:

Andres,

Fly to Biarritz. For traveling from Biarritz to Irun see the Forum topic el-camino-del-norte/topic5993.html. There is an Hospital de Peregrinos de Irún, but a better selection is found in San Sebastian. For all see this Euroski link http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./etapa-de-irun-a-donostia-san-sebastian

See also this link for the Amigos del Norte http://www.caminosnorte.org/

Buen Camino,

Margaret

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Margaret,

Many thanks for the info regarding Biarritz, I'll have to have a look at flights from there and also the travel details you've posted. I've been looking at flights to Bordeaux and Bilbao but they're not very frequent. Where was your favourite place on the Camino del Norte?

I flew to San Sebastian. There was a bus that passed the San Sebastian airport that went to Irun.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I flew to San Sebastian, too.
The San Sebastian airport is only 3 km from Irun (closer to Irun than to the center of San Sebastian).

There's obviously a wide range of choice, which is great.

On a separate note, has anyone travelled the northern route during August? I'm wondering what clothes I should take and whether I can take the same equipment etc. that I used for the Camino Frances.

So many questions!

Muchas gracias. :)

anniethenurse said:
I flew to San Sebastian, too.
The San Sebastian airport is only 3 km from Irun (closer to Irun than to the center of San Sebastian).

Yes, the airport of San Sebastian actually _is_ in Irun. You can start your camino from the airport exit.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wanted to cycle from Hendaye Gare this winter via the northern route and the primitivo. It seems, however, that it will be cheaper to fly to a start point than to get there by train. As far as I can see, there are no cheap flights to and from San Sebastian airport but there are cheap flights with Easy Jet to Bilbao (Fridays and Sundays if flying from Manchester) and from S de C with Ryanair to Stansted on Fridays. (I won't double back from Bilbao to Irun, just to say that I have covered the whole of that camino).

I am still unclear about the business of carrying the bike on the plane. Is it possible to get the approved packing materials at the two airports (Manchester, in my case, and S de C)? Is the price prohibitive, cancelling out the saving on the seat? (I've seen £40 quoted, which is more than the seat price but not intolerable.) Budget airlines are famous for their customer care. Does that extend to tolerance of cyclists?

You can fly to San Sebastian, but I found much cheaper flights from Vancouver to Bilbao.
There is a great local train system called Euskotren it is 3 hours from Bilbao to San Sebastian and Irun is 15 minutes further. It is a picturesque way to see the countryside. I preferred it to the bus - all we saw were highways.

Hi!
i would take fly to Biaritz and then from there start walking......i don´t no if anyone try it. But on my way back home after my camino frances, i stayed one night at the albergue in Biaritz, and in the morning when i was going to trainstation i saw yellow arrows from the albergue, and this arrows was not pointing the road to the trainstation from the albergue.

so iam wondering if anyone knows more about whether its possible to start camino north from biaritz???

sorry, this is little bit out of the topic

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes you can walk directly from the airport at Biaritz by heading first to the coast and then turning left! Keep the sea on your right and you will get to Irun. However, you will probably need 2 days to get there. We got a taxi from Biaritz to Bidart and walked about 27km. There is a bus on the route at times but m=not in Sept when we left.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.