• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying with Kids Under 5 from USA

beth8310

Time of past OR future Camino
2020 (hopeful)
What is the best (and cheapest) way to fly from Chicago to the Camino? We have not determined where we are starting but depends when we go. Maybe April/May. My son cannot tolerate heat so need to go when it's not hot and not rainy (with kids?!) We have thought about walking (with stroller) and also biking (with trailer). I'm assuming we would need to rent these things when we arrive so that will determine where we start, also.

Anyways, looking for ideas on airlines that are good for kids (good rates) for those under 5 years of age and also where to fly into that makes it easier. Open to flying into London, mucking about, taking chunnel to Paris then going from there but not sure what trains are like from Paris to the place we would start camino. Looking at shorter walk of a week maybe?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, beth. . .

Which Camino are you planning to do? That will help with answering your questions.

The only way to guarantee it won't be rainy is when it's snowy (or very hot!). Weather is a giant unknown and no one can predict it. To help you out, though, you need to provide forum users more info as well as making some basic decisions:

• are you hoping to finish in Santiago?
  • which route are you interested in?
  • decide now on walking vs biking: our info will vary dramatically based on this

This forum s extremely generous of its time and advice, but perhaps your questions are a bit premature since there are so many unknowns on your part.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It really would depend on your itenerary. I flew from east cost to Frankfurt you could take then a Ryanair flight further on to Spain. I flew with twin babies and a five year old by myself. It’s exhausting. So plan rest stops. Kids usually have no problems with rain. Galicia is very green and I was told it’s like Ireland wetter wise. Rainy

The only way to guarantee it won't be rainy is when it's snowy (or very hot!). Weather is a giant unknown and no one can predict it. To help you out, though, you need to provide forum users more info as well as making some basic decisions:

• are you hoping to finish in Santiago?
  • which route are you interested in?
  • decide now on walking vs biking: our info will vary dramatically based on this
This forum s extremely generous of its time and advice, but perhaps your questions are a bit premature since there are so many unknowns on your part.
Thanks for the help. Yes, it is premature. I do need to do some other work to get more clear then post a better post in terms of getting help. This would be first pilgrimage so I'm just starting to dive in and ask questions.

When planning, consider that many albuergues do not allow children PLUS pilgrims on bikes face restrictions, too. So walking and staying in hotels/casa rurals might be your best options.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We walked during Holy Week 2106. Many Spanish families were walking the Camino and used the 3 wheeled jogging stroller and they seemed to work pretty good. We stayed in a couple of albergues that had rooms for families but I believe they were private.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back