• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying with Ryanair

Tixunau

I am looking to book a flight with Ryanair on May 11 from Santiago to Madrid. Right now I am looking at the 8pm flight so that I can enjoy Madrid night live before flying back to Ottawa-Canada on Monday morning.

I read quite a few things that I need to pay attention when flying with them as follow:
- Buy online in advance for good rate
- Print your boarding ticket in advance
- If I was to check luggage, add the service fee prior and not on location
- Trekking pole are to be checked as check luggage (more a Santiago airport issue)

My questions are:

1. Anything else I should be aware before booking with them?
2. My ticket will be emailed one I booked which would include my boarding pass to be printed right?
3. Should I have a separate bag to protect my backpack if I was to check luggage?
4. How early do I have to get to the airport to catch the flight?

Thank you

Cheers!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The answer to No.2 is yes and no.
Yes it will be an emailed ticket and no they will not email you the boarding pass.
You can do this online in Santiago at your hotel and then print your own boarding card. I think this can be done up to ten days before the flight.
Get to the Airport at least two hours before flight time.
Buen Camino.

Hi you do not get a ticket just a receipt and confirmation number. You then check in online from 15 days up to 4 hours before the flight and can print off your boarding card. I usually get to the airport (Santander ) 1 hour before my flight but I just have hand luggage and it is a small airport. Have a great time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If it's your first time booking Ryanair. Before you start:
1 do some yoga/meditation or similar to completely relax you
2 brew a big cup of coffee and drink at least half of it
3 turn off all distractions, close the door and allow for 15 minutes of dedicated 'Ryan Air time'
4 put on your strongest glasses
5 gird your loins
All of these strategies will help you keep alert, beady-eyed and calm(-ish) as a series of crafty gremlin-like extras try to jump onto the bandwagon of your booking fee as it journeys through a myriad of web page obstacles towards your point of payment.
Enjoy!

Dear Tixunau,
The above answers are certainly correct, if a bit off-putting. Hilarious Peregrino Tom obviously hasn't heard about the recent charm offensive, a most-welcome change of marketing strategy, from Michael O'Leary of Ryanair--whom we hate to love (or vice versa, in Tom's case). I haven't used the new Ryanair website yet, but it may be somewhat less 'impossible'. Still, there will probably be many click-opportunities for profit-making sidelines for the company along the booking procedure. But the available and reasonable fare and availability of the Ryanair flights between Santiago and Madrid may be worth a bit of yoga-preparation, and since you know your transatlantic return date, do book early for a lower fare. (You weren't referring to NEXT Monday for your return to Canada, were you? Sorry, I hadn't checked your previous posts.)
My only advice is: If there's even a chance your backpack/mochila is your only luggage, and less than 10kg and 55x40x20cm, you might be able to avoid the annoying checked baggage charge. My poles fit inside my backpack (I'm short and, ahem, I sawed off the tips!). Being only slightly paranoid when travelling, I also carry a 2012 letter from the British Airports Authority quoting 'EC300' (European Commission) rules that hiking poles are allowed through European airports security.
Ok, probably no realistic chance for you of cabin-only baggage? Then, yes, pay for the check-in bag when making your Ryanair booking, and visit one of the Chinese market-shops in Santiago to get a very large 'woven plastic' zip-and-handles bag and a roll of tape for €5 of €6. That will ensure the safety of your gear for both the short and long flights.
Buen camino!

There are plenty of Trains from Santiago to Madrid, fares iro €25, discounts available with a Tarjeta Dorada if you are over 60.

Ida

Tren Salida Llegada Duración TuristaPreferente
AVANT-LD 99234
Con Transbordo
11.5017.475 h. 57 min.
Precio desde 24.70 €
ALVIA 04144
ico16x16_sinrestauracion.png
14.5020.195 h. 29 min.
Clase Turista
Clase Preferente
ALVIA 04154
16.0521.485 h. 43 min.
Clase Turista
Clase Preferente
TRENHOTEL 00852
22.3308.029 h. 29 min.
Precio desde 25.45 €

And you get to keep your rucksack with you, and you don't have to get to the station 2 hours before departure, and Mr O'Leary won't be able to charge you €6 for the privilege of buying a ticket or €12 for the temerity of bringing luggage with you, and you get to see some beautiful landscapes.....

ps. I don't hate Mr O'Leary; I hate airlines :p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My questions are:

2. My ticket will be emailed one I booked which would include my boarding pass to be printed right?
3. Should I have a separate bag to protect my backpack if I was to check luggage?

1) Be really sure about the date/time before you book. Change fee might be higher then the ticket

2) No when you check in you just print out the boarding pass. I print out at least two copies. One goes into the carry on. One I carry with my passport. This way if I lose the pass I have a back up

3) If you're in Ottawa just go to MEC can get a cover.

If you're leaving Madrid at 8pm I'm not sure if you'll see any night life. Or are you arriving then?

There are suggestions on the internet that you should clear cookies on your browser after every visit to the website. Allegedly it tracks how you use the site and massage prices accordingly. Dont know how true this is.

I also carry a 2012 letter from the British Airports Authority quoting 'EC300' (European Commission) rules that hiking poles are allowed through European airports security.

Silverton, where did you get a copy of this, and how can we all get one too??? What a great idea!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Being only slightly paranoid when travelling, I also carry a 2012 letter from the British Airports Authority quoting 'EC300' (European Commission) rules that hiking poles are allowed through European airports security.

The above quote from Silverton really caught my eye as I have had difficulties with my poles in the past.
Also of interest is the following from Ryanair website:
Extract from Ryanair Website
8.10 PROHIBITED ARTICLES

“ ski and walking/hiking poles”
Aer Lingus do not appear to as specific in relation to walking/hiking poles on their website.
Would love to get a copy of Silverton's letter.
Buen Camino.
Slán.
Des.

I am away from home til the weekend. should be able to quote the official letter then for you. Mind you, it referred to airport security--not to the rules of any specific airlines on cabin luggage.

Make sure you check the details very carefully when booking.... I thought I had bought a ticket from Santiago only to find out a few days before departure that it was from Santander! This meant a 50 Euro bus ride across Spain to get the flight home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't feel badly. I once bought a ticket for right place, right day, but wrong year!!!:eek: That was many years ago and now I check each detail obsessively before I complete the transaction ;)

Don't feel badly. I once bought a ticket for right place, right day, but wrong year!!!:eek: That was many years ago and now I check each detail obsessively before I complete the transaction ;)

I booked a hotel in Oviedo for 366 nights. Luckily I noticed before the free cancellation period expired.

I am looking to book a flight with Ryanair on May 11 from Santiago to Madrid. Right now I am looking at the 8pm flight so that I can enjoy Madrid night live before flying back to Ottawa-Canada on Monday morning.

I read quite a few things that I need to pay attention when flying with them as follow:
- Trekking pole are to be checked as check luggage (more a Santiago airport issue)

My questions are:

Thank you

Cheers!

Maybe try the train as Tincatinker suggested or http://www.vueling.com/en which is Spanish low-cost operator, but much nicer than Ryanair.

Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We did the same flight last fall and it was also our first Ryanair flight. We too heard some scare stories but we simply adhered to ALL of the stipulations, knew there would be no grace given on any, arrived early to check in (60-90 minutes as I recall), watched for departure gate changes (there was one as we waited), lined up right away (important), and all was incredibly smooth.
As a result, we incurred no extra charges, we heard the little trumpet sound upon landing (telling us we arrived early), we went to the luggage carousel and found our backpacks waiting (never happened before in our lives)....,we will use Ryanair again!!

Thank you everyone for the information.

Our flight is now booked and we will be flying back home from Madrid on Monday May 12 8:35am. My thoughts are to leave Santiago ealry on Sunday after the pilgrim mass and enjoy Madrid in the evening. Right now I am leaning towards taking the train at about 2pm.

From what I gather, Ryanair is great if I make sure I follow their rules by the book but right now, I think that the train migh save me some headaches and get to enjoy a nice ride.

From what I gather, Ryanair is great if I make sure I follow their rules by the book but right now, I think that the train migh save me some headaches and get to enjoy a nice ride.

Great isn't the word I'd use. It's good enough but it is basically a bus with wings. I'll be using it in a few months to fly to Barcelona. Not my first choice but there isn't a huge difference between the various budget carriers. The colour of the uniforms. Maybe the baggage allowance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My letter from the British Airport Authority concerning UK/EU Airport Security regulations for trekking poles is already on this forum, quoted by Johnie Walker on 8 March 2012, in a previous thread. I have seen queues of passengers at Aer Lingus departure gates with telescopic poles sticking out of their cabin-baggage backpacks, and I have flown to Santiago, Madrid, Bilbao and Biarritz (with Aer Lingus and Ryanair) with poles inside my backpack without comment or disapproval. Most European airlines have the same 55/40/20cm/10kg cabin-baggage limit--and that will be the sticking point for anyone with longer poles or heavier/bulkier backpacks.
Yesterday I saw a wooden rolling pin in the display of forbidden cabin items at Lisbon airport! So pastry chefs beware. Airport security has accepted my tiny Swiss army knife (with scissors!) for years because the blade is only 4cm. There is no real logic to all this; we can only smile and travel hopefully, in the spirit of the Camino, using neither weapons nor barbed humour.

Be aware that flying from Quebec city you are not allowed to carry even the tiniest Swiss army knife. They confiscate the one with a 2,5 cm blade. :-(

€46,-
Be aware that flying from Quebec city you are not allowed to carry even the tiniest Swiss army knife. They confiscate the one with a 2,5 cm blade. :-(
There we go! Who's to know/be sure! (But I'm pretty sure I got to Raleigh NC with my lil knife! (Hope the TSA isn't reading this),

Booked with Ryanair the other day. Listing the flights it showed departures as 08.10 - 09.20 and 22.15 - 23.20, so I naturally thought the 08.10 flight was a morning flight.
When I received the confirmation email it showed the flight times as 08.10pm - 09.20pm. When I printed the email it read as 08.10hrs, not showing the pm.
Very confused and worried as I have a connecting flight to Paris so have tried to email and ring to no avail.
Will try again tonight as I have to ring after 5pm my time. May well have to reschedule and pay for new tickets to get back to Paris.
Hopefully it's a typo or something. I thought everything was going so smoothly anyway I live and learn everyday :rolleyes:

Booked with Ryanair the other day. Listing the flights it showed departures as 08.10 - 09.20 and 22.15 - 23.20, so I naturally thought the 08.10 flight was a morning flight.
When I received the confirmation email it showed the flight times as 08.10pm - 09.20pm. When I printed the email it read as 08.10hrs, not showing the pm.

My next flight uses the 24 hour clock.

Can you check in yet? Is there even a 8pm flight?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very confused and worried as I have a connecting flight to Paris so have tried to email and ring to no avail.
Will try again tonight as I have to ring after 5pm my time. May well have to reschedule and pay for new tickets to get back to Paris.
Hopefully it's a typo or something. I thought everything was going so smoothly anyway I live and learn everyday :rolleyes:

I travel by frequently with ryanair. As far as I am aware they always use a 24hr clock. If you look at your confirmation email and scroll down, there should be a section on the right side of the page that says 'manage your booking', with a sub-section 'view your booking'. Click here and give the relevant information to be taken to your booking details. All should be clear. Ryanair have recently changed many of their administration charges in a downward direction, so if you have made a mistake with the booking you may be able to change it for a reasonable cost. Good luck and buen camino!

I just double-checked the Santiago Airport website and the Ryanair flight is listed for departure in the morning. I'm glad you mentioned this as I am booked on the same flight to Madrid on 3 May! I also re-confirmed this via the Ryanair website. So it should still be ok for an 0810 departure in the morning.

I just double-checked the Santiago Airport website and the Ryanair flight is listed for departure in the morning. I'm glad you mentioned this as I am booked on the same flight to Madrid on 3 May! I also re-confirmed this via the Ryanair website. So it should still be ok for an 0810 departure in the morning.

Didn't even think of checking the Santiago Airport site, thank you so much. :D
I was unable to get through to them again last night so you have alleviated a great worry.

Have a wonderful Camino
Alex

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My letter from the British Airport Authority concerning UK/EU Airport Security regulations for trekking poles is already on this forum, quoted by Johnie Walker on 8 March 2012, in a previous thread. I have seen queues of passengers at Aer Lingus departure gates with telescopic poles sticking out of their cabin-baggage backpacks, and I have flown to Santiago, Madrid, Bilbao and Biarritz (with Aer Lingus and Ryanair) with poles inside my backpack without comment or disapproval. Most European airlines have the same 55/40/20cm/10kg cabin-baggage limit--and that will be the sticking point for anyone with longer poles or heavier/bulkier backpacks.
Yesterday I saw a wooden rolling pin in the display of forbidden cabin items at Lisbon airport! So pastry chefs beware. Airport security has accepted my tiny Swiss army knife (with scissors!) for years because the blade is only 4cm. There is no real logic to all this; we can only smile and travel hopefully, in the spirit of the Camino, using neither weapons nor barbed humour.

Just to add to this. I flew with EasyJet from Stansted (UK) to Bayonne and was allowed to carry a wooden walking staff (I believe it is around 4.5 ft, and non-telescopic) on the cabin with me. I had checked EasyJet's rules online and also received an email confirmation from them that it would be allowed as cabin luggage. At Stansted, security checked my staff separately and allowed me through with it. However, on my return flight, which was from Bilbao, the Airport security there absolutely refused to allow me to take the staff on the cabin - it was like not even up for debate. I had to check it in as hold luggage costing 40 euro, plus extra to get it wrapped at one of those plastic wrapping machines. On my return, I contacted, EasyJet and they refunded me the euro 40 no problem!

Gerry

My questions are:

Thank you

Cheers!
1. Just be aware of the weight of your bag!
2. You get an email confirmation and a reminder, 15 days before the flight, to print off the boarding pass. This was a problem but it has been resolved by the left luggage office in Santiago which now has i-pads so that pilgrims can print off boarding passes.
3. There is a service at Santiago airport to cover bags with plastic so you wouldn't need a separate bag.
4. Santiago airport is not big so an hour before is generally adequate, I suppose a bit more if you want to be totally unworried.
Have a good and safe journey!

Dear Tixunau,
I'm sorry to further complicate this thread, but since you are travelling home to Canada and maybe not an EU citizen, I would suggest getting to Santiago airport about 90 minutes ahead of your flight. My understanding is that you need to call to the check in desk to have your boarding pass stamped--even if you have completed online check-in and have only carry-on baggage. This is not a visa, but a 'visa waiver' I think it's called. The boarding pass probably mentions the requirement, but the print may be quite small!
There was also a long discussion-thread about this on this forum in 2012--you can find it by googling 'visas on Ryanair', as I did just now. Certainly when I've have travelled with US passport holders within Europe--at least on Ryanair--this was required. It takes only a few minutes, but there may be a long queue of homeward-bound pilgrims, with over-large packs.
All the best, and buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ryanair?

To be fair they provide a fairly priced service. However, be aware they can change their flights with little or no chance to make alternative arrangements.

I knew what I was getting into when I booked with them some months ago but it still isn't easy to swallow that they changed my flight details to 3 hours later for take-off with not enough notice to book another carrier. That will cause me problems getting from Biarritz to StJPDP.

I won't let it won't spoil my Camino though

We live, we experience and we learn huh?

Buen Camino

Thank you everyone for the inputs. After much considerations and ease of mind, I've decided to take the train back from Santiago to Madrid.

Thank you to all the information and I do hope that this thread would help any other furture pilgrims how to plan when flying with RyanAir.

Cheers and bles you all!

Hi everyone. I have flown Ryanair in the past and wasn't too impressed.

Today I booked a return flight from Santiago to Madrid.

After comparing my options I decided for Iberia Express;
no baggage limitations, advance seat selection, printable ticket, no requirement to book boarding pass . . .

The only trick was that I had to book a return flight, as it was half the cost of a one way ticket (128$CAD vs 256$CAD)
(I 'might' not make the return flight . . .)
Flight time 1hr 20 minutes ….
I know a bit more money that RyanAir, but a lot less hassle, and the seats are way better

As a bonus, upon booking a significant discount on the hotel in Madrid (Expedia.ca).

Just sharing.

Buen Camino !
( or as we say in Portuguese 'Bom Caminho')

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ps. $128 CAD = about 84 Euro

Does anyone know how to contact Ryanair? I am trying to book a flight online from Santiago to Madrid (which I managed to do successfully last year when I first walked the Camino), and it keeps telling me that my contact info is missing or incorrect. Then it throws me back to the beginning to start all over again, without saving any of my choices. Neither the "contact us" nor the "FAQ" tabs seem to work. Maddening.

Does anyone know how to contact Ryanair? I am trying to book a flight online from Santiago to Madrid (which I managed to do successfully last year when I first walked the Camino), and it keeps telling me that my contact info is missing or incorrect. Then it throws me back to the beginning to start all over again, without saving any of my choices. Neither the "contact us" nor the "FAQ" tabs seem to work. Maddening.

I tried it on http://www.ryanair.com/en/ then clicked on "FAQs" at the bottom of the webpage, then on "Contact Us" (or you can go directly to it from this link: http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/contact-numbers).

You can then choose to complete an online "Contact Form" or else click on a telephone "contact number" which varies depending on where you live - and in the case of the US it seems to come under "Rest of the World" catchement area. The contact number given there is: "+ 44 871 246 0002 – English speaking. Calls cost £0.10 per minute plus international calling rates and network extras. Our lines are open Mon - Fri, 09:00 - 18:00 GMT, Sat 10:00 – 17:00 GMT and Sun 11:00 – 17:00 GMT."

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I tried it on http://www.ryanair.com/en/ then clicked on "FAQs" at the bottom of the webpage, then on "Contact Us" (or you can go directly to it from this link: http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/contact-numbers).

You can then choose to complete an online "Contact Form" or else click on a telephone "contact number" which varies depending on where you live - and in the case of the US it seems to come under "Rest of the World" catchement area. The contact number given there is: "+ 44 871 246 0002 – English speaking. Calls cost £0.10 per minute plus international calling rates and network extras. Our lines are open Mon - Fri, 09:00 - 18:00 GMT, Sat 10:00 – 17:00 GMT and Sun 11:00 – 17:00 GMT."

Thanks, canis_major. For some reason the FAQ and "Contact Us" links were not operating when I was trying, although I had seen them a day or so earlier. But the good news (for me, at least), is that eventually, just as I was about to give up, the site magically accepted my reservation, and so I'm now booked. But I tell you, Ryanair is seriously in need of a few good geeks to revamp their web reservation system!

They'll charge you for that :p

It's one of those sites that get easier to use every time you use it. The first time you lose some hair.

BTW I think this you used the revamped easy to use version and not the older one :eek:

In support if ryanair, I was with a friend yesterday who needed to return to the uk urgently from Spain due to the death of her husband. In her stressed state she inadvertently booked a flight for the wrong day. I helped her to book another flight and in the meantime her daughter contacted Ryanair and they refunded the original flight cost immediately with no quibble. Excellent and sympathetic service.

In relation to @CanPete post above where he has booked a return flight because it is cheaper than a one way, but does not plan to use the return flight, I was considering doing just this to get to Lisbon for my camino Portuguese. Just in time I noticed somewhere in the small print that the airline reserve the right to charge a fee for this behaviour which amounted to quite a hefty sum. I can't remember the exact details now as it was a few months ago, and I don't know if the airlines reinforce this threat, but it is something to keep in mind!

The practice is called throwaway ticketing, and it’s actually prohibited by most carriers. When customers do this, most airlines reserve the right to cancel any remaining part of the itinerary or even charge the customer for the remaining value of the ticket (don't forget, they have your credit card number). That said, you should always read the fare rules and the Contract of Carriage before you purchase your airfare because rules do vary from airline to airline.
Many of us have done this, but that's just rolling the dice again!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back