• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying with your pack

CaliDawn

Hi everyone,
I leave on Tuesday and I am coming from the USA to London then Paris to Biarritz.
I am planning on taking my Gregory sage 55 as a carry on. I am very concerned about the plane loosing my lugage if it is checked.
Has any one had problems with carrying in their pack??
Thanks
D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello CaliDawn,
I share your concern. That's why I am wearing my boots when I board my plane. As far as I'm concerned everything but my boots is replaceable :D

Hope you have Buen (nothing lost) Camino

That's what I am debating right now. Whether to carry-on my pack or check it in as regular luggage. I suppose if the pack was not fully loaded it would be compact enough to fall under the carry-on size restrictions. There is also the matter of any liquids in the pack, or toothpaste, etc. I don't know what the restrictions are as far as that goes when flying from the US.
I have looked into getting the thinnest, lightest, cheapest duffel bag that could hold my backpack. That way I can slap a lock on it and check it as baggage and not worry about damage to it, etc. It would definitely have to be a lightweight duffel, though as it would be inside my pack during the Camino.
But yeah, being able to just carry-on the backpack would be best. I have seen people with carry-on bags on flights that were larger than my checked on bags, ha ha.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have decided to check my pack and carry on the most valuable items, ie my boots and socks. Of course, I always have my phone and papers with me. I am not really worried at all. What happens, happens :cool:

Well since I am flying into and out of Munich from the USA (a Camino sandwich you can say), backpack comes with me and suitcase thru baggage. 1) I've got gifts and non-Camino clothes and 2) I will also have my blanket and fleece in it, to make backpack easier to maneuver on the flights.

If it was only to and from the Camino, I probably would still bring pack as carryon.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

I've not had a problem with my pack because I check my luggage.

I've had lots of problems with people trying to stuff luggage that should have been checked into the luggage bins and impeding loading and deboarding the plane. The cramming of people into airplane cabins is insult enough without the baggage being part of the mix.

I would suggest that you check your luggage. If you are fearful of losing stuff bring only the critical stuff like your boots. You can buy everything else if it does get lost.

See Guy Thatcher's book 'A Journey of Days'. He coped quite well with loss of his luggage.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've not had a problem with my pack because I check my luggage.

I've had lots of problems with people trying to stuff luggage that should have been checked into the luggage bins and impeding loading and deboarding the plane. The cramming of people into airplane cabins is insult enough without the baggage being part of the mix.

I would suggest that you check your luggage. If you are fearful of losing stuff bring only the critical stuff like your boots. You can buy everything else if it does get lost.

See Guy Thatcher's book 'A Journey of Days'. He coped quite well with loss of his luggage.

That's assuming the person can afford to. There are a lot of peregrinos and future peregrinos who save for quite some time to do the Camino and do it on a shoestring budget. I met several like that when I walked it last summer.
I would say, carry the least amount of stuff you need for the Camino and if your pack is small enough to be a carry-on for the flight, do it.

I agree with Mark. I know of at least 3 pilgrims who arrived without their pack They had checked the pack. All was lost.

There is no reason a pack need be too large to carry on. You just don't need that much gear!

And often, on international flights, the crew will offer to stow your bags in the hold for free - this way you are sure the pack arrives with you and you retrieve it immediately upon disembarking.

Hi everyone,
I leave on Tuesday and I am coming from the USA to London then Paris to Biarritz.
I am planning on taking my Gregory sage 55 as a carry on. I am very concerned about the plane loosing my lugage if it is checked.
Thanks
D
I took my backpack, a Vaude Brenta 38 Litre bag, as my carry on when I flew into Paris in August, 2012. I have since used the bag as my carry on for flights to Mexico twice, and I intend on using it as my carry on next year when I return to walking on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We flew from Atlanta to Madrid and carried on our packs. We had no issues and they easily fit in the overhead bins. Our plan is the same in a couple of weeks. A 45L pack should meet international carryon requirements. And if not, you may be taking too much. Why risk it?
Last time when we returned, we got a left over box from a supermercado and put our poles and the smelly clothes in there and checked the box. We carried our packs on with all our other gear and souvenirs for the family. Worked great.

Rambler

Hi everyone,
Thanks
D

I didn't have any problems flying, which I put in as checked luggage.

Hi everyone,
Thanks
D

CaliDawn:

I have an Osprey Kestral 48 and I have had no issues bringing it as carry-on.

Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only liquids I would have in my pack are two travel size bottles of contact lens solution and a small bottle of sunscreen and a tube of toothpaste.
Anything about those that would prohibit me from using my pack as a carry-on luggage?

I checked my pack in 2011 ( one plane change) and in 2012 ( direct to Madrid). Both from the US. No problems. I will also check in about 10 days because I have collapsible walking poles that I can't live without and no way will those get through US carry on security.

I don't expect problems.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I bought two inexpensive day packs
to do the Camino Portugues from Valença, we won't need much for 5 or 6 days on the camino and they meet the airline dimensions. We are checking a small duffle bag with the things that TSA won't let us carry, like walking poles and liquids.

The problem with backpacks is the straps and hanging loops that may get caught on anything. The best way to check it is to wrap them in plastic so nothing hangs loose, but then you hit customs, have to unwrap it and rewrap it for next flight... Too complicated, and I have no intentions to lose or break any of my other expensive backpacks.

Another option is to pack it on a cardboard box that you toss when arriving at Spain, then you find another for your flight home.

Buen Camino

CaliDawn:

I have an Osprey Kestral 48 and I have had no issues bringing it as carry-on.

Joe
Thanks....that's what size I have and I was very worried about checking it. Not only would I hate the expense of replacing everything in it, but I'm a plus size and suitable clothes are hard enough to find in America and I know from experience even harder to find in Europe!

@CaliDawn, airline carry-on allowances vary. Have you checked that you can pack it so that it fits within the constraints of the airline you are flying with? I suspect that packed full, a 55li pack will exceed your carry on allowance.

Regards,

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I always carry on my Deuter 42. I wear my boots, fleece sweater and jacket and try to make my bag as small and compressed as possible. No problems.
I think the long distance flight I am about to embark on is the biggest reason I've decided to take my lightweight but bulky fleece!

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

I carried my backpack on the flight with me. It was a 32l, so well within the rules. It fit easily in the overhead compartment. It's a good thing I carried on, because due to flight delays, I ended up getting to Paris 2 hours later than expected. I made it to the train station 20 minutes before my train left. Had I needed to get my bag from baggage claim, I wouldn't have made it and I would have lost the price of the ticket.

On the way home from my camino, I checked my bag. And it was misplaced, as was my dad's. We both had our bags delivered to our homes by the airport within two days, but it would have been extremely frustrating had we been at the start of our trip!

Whenever possible, I will always opt for carry-on.

If you choose carry-on, you won't be able to bring hiking sticks or a knife. They're easy enough to buy in Spain, though.

I leave from Brisbane next month, the airport has a wrapping service, they literally 'glad wrap' the whole back pack 30L, which takes care of the dangling bits of a back pack and provides further security. Coming home is another story using cable ties to secure the zippers and I guess a little faith to go with it that we reconnect. Wearing the boots on the plane is a great idea and will add that tip to my journey buen camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The difficult part are all the straps buckles clickers tyer-oners zippers and other assorted strings ropes and laces of the pack which are certain to get caught on something along the way ripping tearing or removing the pack from a conveyor belt or the buggy. Spend the time to lash them all down without shortening or enlongating the important ones. Coming home have the guy at the airport wrap it in plastic wrap which will solve all those problems.

Although I will have to check in my hiking poles, that I definitely need to help me with my knees, I intend to carry on my Osprey 50L pack. If something happens with the checked in luggage, at least I would not have to rush to gather the items needed for The Camino. It has taken me some time and effort to get the right gear for the trip, and I do not want to risk sending most of it through checked in luggage, if I can avoid it. As others have said, it is a good idea to wear your hiking shoes, and some of the bulkier items, in order to slim your pack. My 50L pack will be anyways only half full, but I decided on a 50 liter pack, since my wife and I will be doing some other traveling after The Camino, and we want to have some spare room, in case we need it. She is carrying a 46L, and she is a Petite woman. She feels very comfortable with it, though, and her pack will be half full, too.

I have looked into getting the thinnest, lightest, cheapest duffel bag that could hold my backpack. That way I can slap a lock on it and check it as baggage and not worry about damage to it, etc. It would definitely have to be a lightweight duffel, though as it would be inside my pack during the Camino.
But yeah, being able to just carry-on the backpack would be best. I have seen people with carry-on bags on flights that were larger than my checked on bags, ha ha.

I believe the lock is a bad idea. TSA may want to inspect the bag, and they will break a lock if it interferes with that.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone,
Thanks
D
Nope. No problems. We just tuck our poles on the sides of the packs and walk on. We have the same pack. This will be our second time. Hopefully it will be as smooth as the first. Buen Camino

The difficult part are all the straps buckles clickers tyer-oners zippers and other assorted strings ropes and laces of the pack which are certain to get caught on something along the way ripping tearing

Suggestion here:
Tape all the loose end straps to the pack at hidden points with masking tape. This will keep them from catching as you proceed through the airport, the tape will rip if something does get caught (instead of your pack), and it can easily be removed and leaves no residue once you arrive at your starting point.

Problem solved.

Rambler

There is no reason a pack need be too large to carry on. You just don't need that much gear!

And often, on international flights, the crew will offer to stow your bags in the hold for free - this way you are sure the pack arrives with you and you retrieve it immediately upon disembarking.

Depends on how your traveling. I think with most of the EU discount airlines around 25litres is the most you can expect. Some are even smaller.

The OP is arriving in London then moving how? The Sage I guess is a female pack. My gregory Z55 is WAY too big for any of the discount carriers.

Gregory makes a line of carry on packs but they're intended for business travelers and have features that most here won't need or want.

With some of the discount carriers it's not unusual for them to stow your carry on bags. I'm not sure that's any different then checking the bag yourself.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Depends on how your traveling. I think with most of the EU discount airlines around 25litres is the most you can expect. Some are even smaller.
Here is a chart of US carriers and their carry on dimensions:
http://www.travelnerd.com/airline-fees/carry-on-luggage-sizes

Ryanair:
"One cabin bag per passenger* weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms."
So it appears all are pretty much the same
Air Canada is the same.

An Osprey Tallon 33L in M/L size has the dimensions of 71cm x 28cm x 25cm, at a fairly standard packing. But I suspect with the tightening of the compression straps, you can get as close as most luggage on meeting requirements.

Having said that, a 45L pack, fully used, will definitely surpass carry-on requirements.

FYI

Rambler

I know Ryanair claims they're being kinder and friendlier but if you show up at the gate with a 71cm backpack they take your bag. Charge you €50 and check it. You're over sized on two dimensions and unless the stuff inside is squish able it won't fit into the sizing rack.

Ryanair is actually bigger then many of it's competitors

I think Easyjet is 50cmx40. Some of the others are even smaller.

Last year I carried on a Gregory Jade 38, and checked a duffel with my Pacer Poles. The duffel arrived three days after I did. It wasn't an issue as I had a few days in Toulouse before setting off.

I leave for Porto in two weeks and will follow the same plan.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carried a Gregory Savant 58 onboard to Italy last year without problems. Osprey sells flight bags to zip around your pack to contain all the straps and cords, and I used that just in case they wanted to make me check it. I was packed much heavier than I will be for the Camino so I will do the same again.

Try something like this:

http://www.campsaver.com/airporter-lz?gclid=CKK5_Yj5v74CFRAaOgodPgkA6A

This year I'll be trying to figure out how to deal with the collapsible carbon walking poles. Too fragile for checking in I suspect. Anybody been able to fly with those onboard?

I have checked bike bags and packs in a cardboard box to protect everything, then I recycle the box at the airport.

One time they did not arrive. We hung around Madrid for a day, and they arrived 24 hours later. Sept. 11 2001.

No planes flew for may days after that.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back