• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Follow Kaybee as he sets off on the Camino Frances

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow. I don't want to be judgmental here, but this looks like an example of doing everything wrong on a Camino

It is Kristen; she seems to be from Boston, MA, but has been studying in Ireland.

I can't quite work out if Kaybee is walking now - or if this is a retrospective blog? They jump from Burgos to Punte la Reina to half way down the line and back again, with a dog with sore feet and Kaybee, who is a grad student, can't spell, doesn't know where they are or how to add up the kms .. very odd!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree, I´m sure HE is a SHE, I think I saw it in one of the posts. Wow, how not to go about it, though, but a great read.
Sandra

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good luck to her. She provides us with a useful picture of the problems of doing the Camino with one's dog. I'm not worried about her spelling as there are very literate circles which go in for phonetic spelling or txt-spellng for literary effect. If it's any comfort, it's worse in French.

Sounds a bit chaotic but at one stage a spanish bloke asks whether he is a 'perigrino' so presumably he's a he.

(thank goodness im not the only girl now like last night),

Definitely a girl.

Or is there another person?

oh yeah and VITAMINERAL GREEN.... the jar weighs about TWO POUNDS. my whole pack is only supposed to be 10 kilo.... but im not ditching that stuff... at the last minute i ditched a bunch of coconut oil vaccuum packs in the car. regret that one though. quick energy.. .
also in kristen´s pack... too much clothing,, namely a pair of huge, lined snow pants, ALSO getting mailed to self... i think id rather suffer in the rain or snow for a day or two than drag these pants all over "just in case". tent. sleeping bag. a bunch of those silver ¨emergency blankets" and yeah we are using them, both over and under the sleeping bag...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
not more than one person: A person and his/her dog. I think it´s a her, because she´s not afraid to cry when the situation warrants.

She is obviously having a tough time of it. But she obviously didn´t think through this whole thing in advance, either. A vegan in Spain. In January. With a dog. And those crackly silver "space blankets."
JFC.

Reb.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Her pack is thirty pounds! (did I read that right?) :eek: Add that to her other problems (is she walking in a circle? If she made Ventosa & Burgos already, why is she back in Estella?).....JHC, as Mark Twain once said. I hope she & her dog make it to Santiago okay.

Kelly

I would like to thank her for sharing her story with us. Some of us would maybe have done things a bit differently, but a different perspective on things is always welcome (I think).

I wish her (and her dog) all the best and a Buen Camino!

Un saludo desde Santiago,
Ivar

There are so many ways her pilgrimage could end badly. My fingers are crossed for her.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Note to self: Don't plan doing Camino during February and don't take a dog! Wait don't have a dog. So, further note...stay pet free for the forseeable future! End Note!

She's both crazy & courageous! It's like reading some kind of adventure novel!

Looking forward to the next installment!

Karin :arrow:

I come from a sub-tropical climate so don't really know how people treat their dogs in a cold climate. Is it normal to walk for days with them in the snow?
As an SPCA volunteer for the past 5 years I reeeeeallllly don't like that she has taken a boxer on a winter pilgrimage.

Hooray for sticktoitiveness, but damn, a boxer in winter? I think the only thing worse would have been a greyhound. But she is from Ireland & it is cold there too, so maybe the dog is used to it. I hope the doggie has snow paws (or whatever they're called).

So yeah, I think we can put "Vegan, with a dog, in February" on the DON'T list. (Although I want to beat the person who took her to see the pigs being slaughtered & thought her reaction was funny.)

Kelly

Love the blog but the lady is mad!!
Kelly I also think she is an American from Seattle and DC as she calls it, she mentions this in the blog "this was supposed to be fun" and in her first post driving through france she mentions buying "gas"
I don't like pointing a finger at you colonials but who else would dress a dog in a coat and go walking with a collapsible dog crate in winter :wink: not any Irish girls that I ever knew, mind you she is based in county Kerry and the Irish do tell a lot of Kerry jokes.
Ian

Ian, what you Lobster Backs never have fun? ;) And while sometimes my fellow colonials do some rather dumb things, I don't think we've quite cornered the market on that yet. ;) (walking away from political joke here)

I don't think you can just willy-nilly take your pet from the US & start wandering around Europe with it, so I still think she's from Ireland, possibly a grad student or an ex-pat. :) I love my pups & miss them on my trips across the Pond, but would never subject them to 13 hours in the cargo hold.

Kelly

I cannot comment on Sagalouts' knowledge of what Irishwomen are like or not, so will simply note that, on the basis of my five years of Dublin life, I would claim that Kaybee is entirely typical-- once a daughter of Eireann is determined on a course, there is little that can stop her, and few would think of trying. In Kaybee's blog, she refers to graduate school outside Ireland and having worked as a bicycle courier, so her americanisms might originate there.

Upon reading through the blog, it is a signal lesson on the miseries of taking a dog on the Camino and, the more I think of it, a study of the unkindness of so doing. Still, as I can't read the dog's mind, he may even like it.

For those of you following KB´s blog both pilgrim and Grona the dog arrived in Santiago today and 5 mins ago she received her Compostela.

Both are safe and well.

Kirsten´s (KB) conclusion: "I wouldn´t have gone without Grona but I would never do another Camino with a dog."

Her biggest problem apart from the weather seems to be the massive weight she was carrying with a tent etc to look after both.

Lessons learned.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
GRÁINNE
Usage: Irish, Irish Mythology

Pronounced: GRAWN-ya [key]
Possibly derived from Gaelic grán meaning "grain". This was the name of an ancient Irish grain goddess. The name also belonged to the fiancée of Fionn mac Cumhail and the lover of Diarmuid in later Irish legend, and it is often associated with gráidh "love".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Johnnie...great that you were there when she got her Compostela! I think anyone walking in recent weeks has had a tough time of it with the weather, but she even more so having to look after the dog. Well done Kaybee!

Rebekah Scott said:
not more than one person: A person and his/her dog. I think it´s a her, because she´s not afraid to cry when the situation warrants.

She is obviously having a tough time of it. But she obviously didn´t think through this whole thing in advance, either. A vegan in Spain. In January. With a dog. And those crackly silver "space blankets."
JFC.

Reb.

ah..im confused now, if he is a she, but you say rebekah, i know you are a she....that she's tend to not be afraid to cry, my dilema is that im a he, not a she, but im not afraid to cry and talk about it, so is that a she inside my he?? :))..im as confused as the blogger...shehe :)

€60,-
well, JohnnyEsparto... gender issues are somewhat outside my realm of expertise. There are probably counselors on here somewhere who can help you work that out.

Seriously, though, this thread started out on the belief that Kaybee was male. Only later did it become clear that "he" was a "she." But God´s love extends to all, no matter their equipment.

And her little dog, too.

Reb

Rebekah Scott said:
well, JohnnyEsparto... gender issues are somewhat outside my realm of expertise. There are probably counselors on here somewhere who can help you work that out.

Seriously, though, this thread started out on the belief that Kaybee was male. Only later did it become clear that "he" was a "she." But God´s love extends to all, no matter their equipment.

And her little dog, too.

Reb

i believe her little dogie will be fine, traveled for 5 days on the camino francis last year with a lovely greyhound, Cara.................ah...sweet dog, .loving the camino and all the spirits...............................ruffffffffff ly yours

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back