• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Follow the yellow arrows?

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
I am wondering how do I walk from the Gare de Heydaye train station to the Albergue de Peregrinos on 18 Lucas de Berroa. I have google mapped it and the walking looks like it takes me on highways not suitable for walking. How do I find the Way, the yellow arrows? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Google Street View may, or may not, offer you some comfort as to the actual walking conditions. I can't find an obvious off-road route but its possible one of our blessed members has squared that circle.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New addres of the Albergue of Irun.
C/ Lesaca nº 1
It is 1 kilometer farther than the old albergue in Lucas de Berroa. On the path of The Camino.

It is actually a lovely walk, no highway or motorway. If you take the old bridge, which has no motor traffic, you will tracing back the steps of Spanish refugees during the Civil War, I felt something special as I walked that particular stretch and thought about all the Spaniards who fled Spain in 1936-1939... only to end up in the IIWW operation theater and then in concentration camps.

see this map, just follow the small road, hardly any traffic (red line I drew on top), and once you are in Irun, just follow the streets normally. Incidentally, where I mark the red circle, you will find Singular, a restaurant where teh day's menu, at 16 or 18 euro, is just from out of this world.

Hendaye was also the rendez vouz point where Hitler and Franco met one day to discuss possible alliances. Franco was 30 minutes late, Adolf was not impressed, and that probably determined the evolution of the II WW, at least for Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is actually a lovely walk, no highway or motorway. If you take the old bridge, which has no motor traffic, you will tracing back the steps of Spanish refugees during the Civil War, I felt something special as I walked that particular stretch and thought about all the Spaniards who fled Spain in 1936-1939... only to end up in the IIWW operation theater and then in concentration camps.

see this map, just follow the small road, hardly any traffic (red line I drew on top), and once you are in Irun, just follow the streets normally. Incidentally, where I mark the red circle, you will find Singular, a restaurant where teh day's menu, at 16 or 18 euro, is just from out of this world.

Hendaye was also the rendez vouz point where Hitler and Franco met one day to discuss possible alliances. Franco was 30 minutes late, Adolf was not impressed, and that probably determined the evolution of the II WW, at least for Spain.

Sorry, cannot see a map you have included?

I have walked this too without going on any motorway or main road, but as I am away with family at the moment without my notes haven't yet commented. So just wondering if your route was the same as mine?

Also agree with you on the special feeling I had crossing the bridge in the context of the civil war. But that is a family thing (and political so not for this forum).

Davey

I don’t see the map either. The walk sounds refreshing after a long train ride, sounds intriguing. I recall hearing the story of the meeting place in Hendaye, so much history to absorb. Will you please resend the map?

New addres of the Albergue of Irun.
C/ Lesaca nº 1
It is 1 kilometer farther than the old albergue in Lucas de Berroa. On the path of The Camino.
When was this change made? Unfortunately my guidebook doesn’t have the new address. You are referring to the Alburgue de Perrgrinos de Irun? Yes?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Albergue de Peregrinos de la Asociacion Jacobea Irun-Bidasoa, moved to new address in 2018, geo: N43.34522° W1.80050°. In the beginning of July was still on the old address.

Albergue de Peregrinos de la Asociacion Jacobea Irun-Bidasoa, moved to new address in 2018, geo: N43.34522° W1.80050°. In the beginning of July was still on the old address.
You have confused me even more. :D I don't know what to do with the geo: numbers? what is this and how do you use it? I am a simple pilgrim. And the name you are showing is different. I am confused. o_O

oops, forgot to attach the map, here it is! Restaurant Singular is the best way to enter Spain and enjoy the stunning Basque cuisine; they are so proud of it for a reason!

1543504138679.png

By the way, the historical bridge is only for pedestrians. This aerial view below is even clearer, straight on!

1543504489582.png

Attachments

• 1543504348264.png
    1543504348264.png
    535.5 KB · Views: 14
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You have confused me even more. :D I don't know what to do with the geo: numbers? what is this and how do you use it? I am a simple pilgrim. And the name you are showing is different. I am confused. o_O
It is official name of this Albergue - I think, it will help, then you do internet search. It is still the same Donativo Albergue. Geo coordinates are for navigating device. Sorry, but for some people they might be helpful. I'll try to attache the map to get general idea, there the Albergue is.

Attachments

• node-15998-508ff303b84e213bceb95d9682e8cdc612e.png
    node-15998-508ff303b84e213bceb95d9682e8cdc612e.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 32
oops, forgot to attach the map, here it is! Restaurant Singular is the best way to enter Spain and enjoy the stunning Basque cuisine; they are so proud of it for a reason!

View attachment 49422

By the way, the historical bridge is only for pedestrians. This aerial view below is even clearer, straight on!

View attachment 49425
This is great and very helpful - thanks so much. I will definitely consider stopping for a bite to eat. Sounds scrumptous.

Are these maps in Google maps? How do you get such a detailed view? Overhead view etc............

Very interesting historical perspective. Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After Irun, I would stop at Pasajes de San Juan and not push it to walk all the way to San Sebastian. Beautiful little place and hostel at Pasajes .They certainly made room for us at the inn to create a special memory which will never be forgotten. As long as it's open at this time of year I would stay there . Buen Camino

After Irun, I would stop at Pasajes de San Juan and not push it to walk all the way to San Sebastian. Beautiful little place and hostel at Pasajes .They certainly made room for us at the inn to create a special memory which will never be forgotten. As long as it's open at this time of year I would stay there . Buen Camino
Thank you Maggie. That sounds so lovely.

I am giving myself plenty of time to walk summer of 2019 (peek season on the Norte) so I won't feel the need to race for a bed. Of course it all depends on how I feel on any given day as to how far I go. Go with the flow so to speak.

I've been blessed in walking the Frances twice, going up over the Pyrenees making it to Roncesvalles on the first day, both times. So I am confident I can go the distance. I am hoping to go with an open spirit and see where my feet take me because I know the Camino does and will provide. My moto this go around is to surrender it all. I planned too much on my second CF so much so that it took away all the magic and miracles from the Camino Angels that would have come my way.

There was one day on the CF where I walked 23 miles due to lack of accommodation, but I was okay with it I had great company from Holland walking with me and it was my birthday. ;) I thought for sure the next day I would be spent but when the "Camino Family" stopped for the day, I whizzed on by them, kept walking for a total of 20 miles that day. I had so much energy, I just couldn't stop. On the Camino, I have learned, it's one day at a time. :) How simple and freeing is that?

The only thing I know is: Getting there is the hardest part.

Since you may be walking from the Hendaye gare to Irun and if you get hungry before crossing the border/bridge do stop at the small bar/resto Chez Alain on the way at 11 ave d'Espagne. They are most friendly and do a very good daily menu for 13.50 euros. If you wish you can even take a shower for free! The place is a routiers or truck stop but in no way hyper macho. I loved it autumn 2015. See more here--
http://restoroutier.free.fr/fiche_64_hendaye.htm

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Since you may be walking from the Hendaye gare to Irun and if you get hungry before crossing the border/bridge do stop at the small bar/resto Chez Alain on the way at 11 ave d'Espagne. They are most friendly and do a very good daily menu for 13.50 euros. If you wish you can even take a shower for free! The place is a routiers or truck stop but in no way hyper macho. I loved it autumn 2015. See more here--
http://restoroutier.free.fr/fiche_64_hendaye.htm

Bon chemin and Buen camino!
Thanks! I'm sure I'll be hungry and a shower right off the train, nice. :)

I also loved Pasajes de San Juan and recommend staying there. The stairs up and down town give the legs a great work-out. We pitched our tent outside the albergue/church and woke to a lovely view down the fjord-like harbour, and took the ferry across the next morning.

I would agree whole heartedly. Take it easy the first day, savour the beauty of the hills and the vantage points of Irun and it's river valley. The Albergue at Pasajes San Juan is special, as is the little town itself. If Mario is still the hospitaleros you will indeed be lucky. Wonderful man with great taste in music!! , with which he will wake up all the pilgrims, very gently, in the morning.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would agree whole heartedly. Take it easy the first day, savour the beauty of the hills and the vantage points of Irun and it's river valley. The Albergue at Pasajes San Juan is special, as is the little town itself. If Mario is still the hospitaleros you will indeed be lucky. Wonderful man with great taste in music!! , with which he will wake up all the pilgrims, very gently, in the morning.

Yes that brings back special memories for me.

This is great and very helpful - thanks so much. I will definitely consider stopping for a bite to eat. Sounds scrumptous.

Are these maps in Google maps? How do you get such a detailed view? Overhead view etc............
Yes, this is Google maps, it is in between Streetview and Satellite view, as you zoom out to expand the field, the view takes a 90 degree perspective change gradually, you can play with it a lot!

Checking the Euskotren App. I am confused that on the Hendaye Donostia route, I can't locate in the search screen, the station at Irun Colon. Could someone please confirm that the Euskotren from Hendaye to Donostia will actually stop at Irun Colon?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.