• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Following the gleam once again

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Followthegleam.jpg
...............Sunrise, Mezkiritz, 17/10/2014

"Your days are numbered. Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun. If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it."
Marcus Aurelius, The Emperor's Handbook, II,IV

From 2004 through 2014 I have walked the Camino Frances in its entirety ten times. The path may have been the same but actual realities varied greatly. Each Camino began with both anticipation and trepidation as I wondered how it would go, yet each pilgrimage developed its own rich mix of friends old and new, fickleness of weather, stamina and health and, of course, philosophical musings and personal thanksgiving for each day lived and for my life with Bill which enables such a journey.

Subsequently providing information about the Camino has become an additional pleasure whether talking on route with another pilgrim or writing for an unknown reader. Since November 2009 participating in this unique Forum has been part of my daily life and providing information on-line for unknown readers has become a distinct pleasure. When asked about the Camino answering what I know is a personal obligation . Such mutual sharing is a large part of the camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it keeps my memories current while recalling past journeys anew.

Walking tests my strength; 'slow, but dependable’ could be my motto. Trusting providence as well as my simple gear, tenacity and ability to endure I try to take it as it comes enjoying the good and bearing the bad. Always it is a great pleasure to arrive at a welcoming albergue, sit and remove my pack, take a HOT shower, chat with other pilgrims and collapse in clean comfort on a bottom bunk ever thankful for the continued strength to experience the extraordinary joy of another camino day. Bliss!

Why do I do this? My laconic answer is from Pascal's Pensées "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing." Additional philosophic and spiritual reasons are cited in this profile .

Although age and time will eventually take their toll, hopefully my memories will endure. Physically I may not be able to be there, but sentimentally I will always wear my pilgrim shell. Now before circumstance might force me to stop, hope still springs eternal!

Thus, thankful, respectful and humble, but still curious and with an ever eager heart
I will walk again the Camino Frances starting October 13.

At 76 what matters most is to continue.

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

"Your days are numbered. Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun. If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it." Marcus Aurelius

From 2004 through 2014 I have walked the Camino Frances in its entirety ten times. The path may have been the same but actual realities varied greatly. Each Camino began with both anticipation and trepidation as I wondered how it would go, yet each pilgrimage developed its own rich mix of friends old and new, fickleness of weather, stamina and health and, of course, philosophical musings and personal thanksgiving for each day lived and for my life with Bill which enables such a journey.

Subsequently providing information about the Camino has become an additional pleasure whether talking on route with another pilgrim or writing for an unknown reader. Since November 2009 participating in this unique Forum has been part of my daily life and providing information on-line for unknown readers has become a distinct pleasure. When asked about the Camino answering what I know is a personal obligation . Such mutual sharing is such a large part of the camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it keeps my memories current while recalling past journeys anew.

Walking tests my strength; 'slow, but dependable’ could be my motto. Trusting providence as well as my simple gear, tenacity and ability to endure I try to take it as it comes enjoying the good and bearing the bad. Always it is a great pleasure to arrive at a welcoming albergue, sit and remove my pack, take a HOT shower, chat with other pilgrims and collapse in clean comfort on a bottom bunk ever thankful for the continued strength to experience the extraordinary joy of another camino day. Bliss!

Why do I do this? My laconic answer is from Pascal's Pensées "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing." Additional philosophic and spiritual reasons are cited in this profile .

Although age and time will eventually take their toll, hopefully my memories will endure. Physically I may not be able to be there, but sentimentally I will always wear my pilgrim shell. Now before circumstance might force me to stop, hope still springs eternal!

Thus, thankful, respectful and humble, but still curious and with an ever eager heart

At 77 what matters most is to continue.

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith
I thank you for sharing this with us.
Hope you have a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I couldn't like this post enough, Margaret.
From the place of being a relative newbie, I always appreciate your wisdom--and am sometimes amazed the wealth of information you have up your sleeve (eg., the address of the padre in Najera you posted yesterday). You've absorbed more about the Camino than many of us will ever know--so thank you for sharing.
A very Buen Camino to you...and may you be able to keep walking for many years to come.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Margaret! I have been wondering over the last few weeks, whether you have decided to walk the Camino again! What can I say? From one oldie to another, I wish you everything I would wish myself! Buen Camino, hermana!

An inspiring post containing a love story of a true follower of The Way.May your upcoming Camino be as inspiring for you as you have been to so many others over the years,and may age never keep your feet from walking the road you love.God Bless and Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Margaret,
Oh, so happy to see this! This will be a very new experience for you, a fall rather than winter camino, no? Margaret, you are a camino angel, your ears must burn every time the mods comment on how you have once again brought calm, grace, and reason to what would otherwise be an off-the-rails thread. Wishing you a very wonderful camino, I am so looking forward to following you from afar and wishing I were there. Abrazos and buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
View attachment 21666

"Your days are numbered. Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun. If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it."
Marcus Aurelius

Subsequently providing information about the Camino has become an additional pleasure whether talking on route with another pilgrim or writing for an unknown reader. Since November 2009 participating in this unique Forum has been part of my daily life and providing information on-line for unknown readers has become a distinct pleasure. When asked about the Camino answering what I know is a personal obligation . Such mutual sharing is a large part of the camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it keeps my memories current while recalling past journeys anew.

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith
Thank you for being a great example of living life in a loving & gracious manner. I wish you many more adventures -- I will watch & wait for updates. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your sun will never set
Your path is written across the River of Stars....this is but one path you have trod
Your next will light the skys for others to follow, as many now, who carry the lesson of your life, will pass on to the next generation of Pilgrim.
Beautiful words to drink in and savour thank you...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades
For ever and forever when I move.

I am also there...

You are a kind spirit. I start my 7th walk on April 2. Cannot explain why, I only know that the Way is calling me back agiain.

Buen Camino!

I hope I to have the opportunity and capacity to walk like you have.

On my 1st stroll I met an Austrian in Puente la Reina who was 79 and kn his 9th Camino in 10 years. On my 2nd stroll a Canadian in his 70s who was walking for the 6th time, but this time without his wife. I assumed it was getting to be a bit too much for her, but he corrected me: she had stayed home to train for a marathon! Clealry the Camino calls.

I am curious Margaret, if you din't mind: why always the Frances rather than Laurie's approach for example of explooring different routes? I have only walked the same path for 4 days or so, and the experience felt completely different. It was very odd.

Have a wonderful 11th!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen camin0, Margaret! I have enjoyed following your blog for some years and hope you will be writing this year too.
You make me long for a wintercamino, so may be next year.

Randi

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Margaret,
Like Annakappa, I've been looking forward to hearing--confident that you would be setting off very soon. I hope your fingers will be warm enough to key-in frequent reports to the Forum--your friends and admirers, all of us. You may well be appalled by what has surfaced recently from my low-brow distant-memory bank, but you might also remember it:
'Happy trails to you!', from another recidivist mid-septuagenarian.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ah you walk again Margaret! Know that I walk with you in spirit. I've read every post in your blogs over the years. Truly inspiring. I'll be back to walk from Le Puy next year.
I have just arrived back home after walking the long, arduous European Peace Walk during the hottest summer on record. The knees are sore and the hip is aching.
You are in my prayers.

"Now is the hour..."

Many thanks to those Forum members who have sent their good wishes for this my 11th camino. Your kind comments are sincerely appreciated.

Now outside our local train station Bill has just waved goodbye. Hence within a new physical and mental space, I am alone. It is always difficult to switch gears however soon a solo adventure will slowly unfold from here to Paris, then to Bayonne via an overnight sleeper train from Gare d'Austerlitz, ending at last in the Pyrenees. My emotions are spinning; sadness at leaving is mixed with the thrill of another new journey....In the weeks ahead may we both be well and may all go well at home and on the way.

If you too are walking now perhaps our pilgrimage paths will cross; if you wish follow my current blog at www.MsCamino.blogspot.com.

Ultreia!
Margaret Meredith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Margaret. I've just tuned into the forum for the first time in months and I see you are off again on another marvellous adventure. You were a great help and comfort to me as I planned my first camino last year. I'll never forget your kindness. I'm wishing you great joy on your journey and will be following your blog.
Buen camino and ultreia
Barb

Very pleased to read your post Margret and all the wonderful responses. I think in large part this is the best aspect of the Camino - commitment and sharing. The well wishers inspire me as much as your integrity Margret. When I say inspire I don't just mean inspire me to walk the Camino but rather inspired by that communal spirit that we hope resides in all of us. Watching someone aspire to something (your journey) and the many who cheer you on with many thanks.

I wish you well in your journey both on and off the Camino

Mark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wish you all the best Margaret and will keep you in my prayers.

Ultreïa!

Mike

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Magaret, that you for, possibly, the most informative reasons why people walk the Camino more than once. So maybe you have inspired me to try at least to walk the parts I missed when I cycled last month. Thank you! Buen Camino, Mike:):cool:;)

The end of my trail

Due to injury I must cease this camino for I am no longer able to easily stand or walk. Greatly saddened I know that tonight will be my last in a pilgrim albergue. Now unfortunately the time has come to stop....

Sincerely grateful for all the happiness that I have found and shared along the way during these past years I wish only the best for the future of this beloved route. Might all who walk find fulfillment; may at least my precious memories endure as long as I. Physically I may not be walking, but sentimentally I will always wear my pilgrim shell. ...

Thank you for reading my posts and offering your many comments. Ultreia!

"This thou perceiv'st, which makes thy love more strong,
To love that well, which thou must leave ere long."
Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXIII

My thoughts and prayers are with you Margaret.

Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am sorry that I won't see you again this year. Thanks for all the advice you have given - over 3 years ago you provided some encouraging information that helped me start my first Camino. I look forward to your continuing contributions here!

The end of my trail

Due to injury I must cease this camino for I am no longer able to easily stand or walk. Greatly saddened I know that tonight will be my last in a pilgrim albergue. Now unfortunately the time has come to stop....

Sincerely grateful for all the happiness that I have found and shared along the way during these past years I wish only the best for the future of this beloved route. Might all who walk find fulfillment; may at least my precious memories endure as long as I. Physically I may not be walking, but sentimentally I will always wear my pilgrim shell. ...

I am so sorry to read this post Margaret, you have been an inspiration to me and many many more people on this forum. I hope you will continue to post your great advice and wisdom.
Buen Camino.
Pat.

The end of my trail

Sincerely grateful for all the happiness that I have found and shared along the way during these past years . ...

And what a great journey you have had MM ............. I wish you the very best and thank you for sharing your experiences.

Mark

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, so sorry to read this on your Blog, Margaret. I do hope that you have a speedy recovery and, who knows, in the near future, you will be out on the Camono again! I Have so much enjoyed your various Blogs over the last years and gave been a great inspiration to me, being, as Laurie writes, in the " golden age" group. Ultreia!

I side with Annakappa, wishing you a safe return home and speedy recovery so that may once again to this Camino you love, even if it is to visit it for shorter periods. I'm comvinced it will call you call you again.

Sorry to hear about your injury Margaret, wishing you a speedy recovery and hope that you will be on the Way again soon!

Dear Margaret,
You have been an inspiration to me since I first found the camino. I have learned many things from reading your posts and following your blog.
Thank you for sharing your path. I wish you a speedy recovery.
buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The end of my trail

Margaret, I'm so sorry to hear your news. I do wish you the speediest recovery from your injuries. For the future - only you can know when it's time to stop your Caminos. I can see that you feel that this is the time. Maybe it is. Maybe after you are recovered you will find that it isn't yet. I'm really hoping it is the latter - partly selfishly I must say because I do so enjoy reading your blogs! Whatever you decide - ultreia!

Dear Lovely Margaret, I had the great pleasure of meeting you last year, in Santo Domingo. You were such fun, and we had breakfast and chatted! So sorry to hear your news, rest well and recover, love, Helen

The end of my trail

So sad to read your words.Earlier in this thread I posted about your love affair with the Camino,it is obvious that that love affair will never end even though you are forced to be apart,and neither will the love and respect the Camino family have for you.May God and Saint James be ever with you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry to read your latest news.
I always look for your posts. Never critical, always helpful, full of encouragement and good advice from one who truly knows The Way.
I am sure that you will walk again, The pull to you particularly will be too strong.
Courage!

I agree with everyone, you are a real inspiration and full of very sound, good advice. I hope you recover soon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Margaret, you've inspired all of us, and in your inimitable gracious way offered endless good advice...
So I hope you feel the many many kind wishes flowing your way from all over the globe.
Adding a drop to that stream, very sorry for your news and hoping your body and heart heal quickly and well. And when the Camino calls again, I hope you're able to find a way--perhaps a new one--to answer its siren song.

Margaret, I am so very sad to read your post. I hope you recover quickly and can see the yellow arrows guiding you towards future adventures. I carry you in my head every time I set foot on the Camino Frances - in my mind you are interwoven like a golden strand into its fabric.

As Laurie has said, we are always in your debt for the time, patience and endless goodwill and good sense you put into this forum. I look forward to your posts and hope physical recuperation gives you the chance to be with us online.

Margaret. Wishing you well in your recovery. I hope you find new ways to explore and enjoy the Caminos de Santiago, and of course continue with your great advice on the forum.

Ah Margaret I pray that you improve and that one day you can walk this again. Today I have shed tears for you and feel so saddened in my very being. Keeping you in my prayers and thoughts. I walked because of you and the spirit that came via you and your blogs over many years.

Margaret I am yet another (tyro) you have inspired. I am sure your advice and knowledge will remain vital for many in the coming years, and hopefully you will regain fitness over the coming year.

Once a pilgrim - always a pilgrim

Checking in here for the first time in several days, and am so sorry to read of what has transpired. Vaya con Dios, Margaret.

I am so sorry that you had to call a halt to your Camino Margaret, I wish you well soon. I am sure that the warm wave of good wishes from your fellow peregrinos/peregrinas here on this forum will remind you of the esteem in which you are held, the many caminos walked that were shaped by your informed advice and that the hopes from around the globe that you will be out there on the Way next year.

View attachment 21666

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

There are times we meet individuals on this Forum where special admiration, respect, and enjoyment are kindled. These relationships through the internet are valued and regarded as gems of great value. We hope that one day our paths might cross on the Way. The sun begins to set on the day and out of the blue dear, long-treasured friends are recognized for the first time. Another gift of the Camino is found and there is rejoicing.

We all are getting on in age and we face the reality that many of these cherished friends will never be met in person. Yet, hope does spring eternal and on heavenly paths, I pray we meet all we have known yet never met. Know, Margaret Meredith, that you are a golden friend. May our Father grant that we all may meet anew either in this mortal pilgrimage or on celestial paths that our Father will provide.

Last edited:
View attachment 21666

Marcus Aurelius, The Emperor's Handbook, II,IV.........

................Thus, thankful, respectful and humble, but still curious and with an ever eager heart

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

A majestic, magic and marvellous post Margaret.
Buen (Once again) Camino

You have always been my favorite poster. My heart is gladdened to hear you are setting out again this year. I hope you have more Caminos in your future than you have in your past. Good luck.

You have always been my favorite poster. My heart is gladdened to hear you are setting out again this year. I hope you have more Caminos in your future than you have in your past. Good luck.
Oops. Should have read the entire thread first.

I am very saddened to hear of your injury. I hope you heal quickly. Once a pilgrim, always a pilgrim. Life is its own pilgrimage.

I am sorry Margaret to read about your injury and having to cut short your camino. I have been in awe of you , this last few years, completing so many caminos. I do hope that you make a full recovery and that you come back to do a short stretch
of the camino perhaps in the Spring. I am happy lowering my ambitions as I get that bit older. Good health and take care.

View attachment 21666

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith
I'm just seeing this for the first time Margaret. I don't know you personally, only by this forum, but I do know you to be a treasure for all of us. And this is from someone who is still a newbie, so I still seek out the wisdom of those here who bring such grace, wisdom, knowledge and encouragement. It is such a gift to have the likes of you to help us along. Maggie

Hear, hear, movinmaggie!
I hope, Margaret, that you know just how beneficial your gracious presence and helpfulness has been--and for so many of us!
A bow of thanks!
Vira

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
View attachment 21666

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Utterly inspirational.
Still looking to complete my Camino as a staged experience due to work. Always in my mind to do it one go. This is inspiring stuff. Thank you

View attachment 21666

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Hi Margaret, I have just been reading your blog - thank you! I love the way you capture the spirit of the Camino, and why we love it.
Sorry to hear you had an accident in '15. I hope you're ok now. Best wishes

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The end of my trail

In looking back Margaret, it brings me a feeling of warmth knowing you and I were on the path the same as me in 2015. My one regret is never having met you personally. A bigger regret is that it had come time for you to cease your journey. But your heart always speaks volumes, with wisdom and strength. If there is any doubt as to how much admiration many here feel for you, see the number of acknowledgements (likes) in your name. (Not being a Facebook user, I still wince a bit at 'likes', but they definitely serve a purpose).
Your post was made the day I celebrated my 80th birthday in Santiago, exhausted after 800 kms, but a heart filled with gratitude and happiness. I wish you continued good health Margaret and a heart at peace with itself. You are a grand role model on this forum....Happy New Year.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back