• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food along the way

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
I'm a bit concerned about eating in albegues in the evenings, will I have to eat vegetables? I tried them once and they didn't agree with me. I only eat traditional English food like chicken madras and Donner kebabs.. maybe a chicken chow mein if I'm feeling adventurous.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
?????
You can eat whatever you want while walking the Camino.
Not all albergues offer dinner/evening meals. Actually, most do not. Many have kitchen areas where you can prepare your meals, or prepare one as a group, and again what you or the group decides to eat is completely by choice and what is available at the local market.
If you do not like veggies, do not eat veggies. It is not a Dickens novel.
but you must eat your gruel in the morning! lol :D

Last edited:
I'm a bit concerned about eating in albegues in the evenings, will I have to eat vegetables? I tried them once and they didn't agree with me. I only eat traditional English food like chicken madras and Donner kebabs.. maybe a chicken chow mein if I'm feeling adventurous.
I have a feeling this is not a serious thread.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One food I sorely missed on my Caminos was gruel/porridge. When next I walk I'll take a kilo of oats.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are walking the Camino Frances...please set your food expectations very low...I mean if you have ever lived on military MREs (Meals Ready to Barf) for a month...you will think that you that Camino food is as good as home cooking...and I savored the few times I actually got to eat good American fast food on the Camino.

Last edited:
You are in luck, you will find numerous doner kebab shops. In fact there is one across the street from the Gare in Bayonne. You could load up and carry some with you for the crossing of the Pyrenees. :eek:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you are walking the Camino Frances...please set your food expectations very low...I mean if you have ever lived on military MREs (Meals Ready to Barf) for a month...you will think that you that Camino food is as good as home cooking...and I savored the few times I actually got to good eat American fast food on the Camino.
As long as the tobasco was included with the MRE’s it was edible .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

When I got home every meal for a month included...eggs...green chile sauce...and peanut butter...you would think that a modern country like Spain you could at least import peanut butter.

When you spend a month or more on MRE's because there is nothing else to eat, they become "happy meals" for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The ones with Tabasco are memorable, I still have a tiny bottle of the Green Tabasco.
The food in Spain is incredible.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@andywild, relax. Vegetables do not feature in the famous ' Menu Peregrino' which consists of 'sopa', 'pollo' and 'flan'. None of these dishes contain vegetables. Vegetables are only produced for display purposes in Mercados. The one exception to this rule is if you request the 'menu peregrino vegeteranio' which will contain Ham. The rest, obviously, can be discarded

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I understand you – but don’t miss the Pimientos de Padron, they are delicious. They are veggies, but just pretend they are big green juicy caterpillars, and you’ll be fine… :p

I strongly recommend that you pass on the padron pimentos - they are vegetables after all... (and the lees of them that you eat, the more for me!)

Now, that will depend on the amount of time spent walking on trails and how much on roads..... See, if more time is spent on roads, it is true, the chances of getting hit and killed does go up, but, ROADKILL!!!! Skin it, fry it up or make your own bocadillo out of it, YUMMMM. The only problem with this is there is a fair amount of competition out there, not just peregrinos. Natural scavengers, you know.
lease sir, may I have more???

If you are walking the Camino Frances...please set your food expectations very low...I mean if you have ever lived on military MREs (Meals Ready to Barf) for a month...you will think that you that Camino food is as good as home cooking...and I savored the few times I actually got to good eat American fast food on the Camino.

<Snorts of derision> MREs are nirvana compared to having to live of off C-Rations. :p

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
<Snorts of derision> MREs are nirvana compared to having to live of off C-Rations. :p
Snakes and chicken butchering/cooking at jungle warfare school. :oops:
To this day I can still process one up pretty quick for the fire, lol.

I feel we are sympatico in this regard, so here is my Chubby Englishman's Camino Diet Guide.

Breakfast will be either; Ham and eggs and chips, Tortilla, possibly the best foodstuff known to man or, as one enters Galicia, Tarta de Santiago, all washed down with cafe con leche and a Kas Naraja, or if you want to be healthy a Kas Limon. Oh, and Churros con chocolate, lots and lots of that.

Lunch will be a handmade bocadillo featuring chorizo or jamon, queso and perhaps in circumstances of extreme dehydation a bit of tomato, but purely for water content, not because in Spain they're delicious. To be washed down with cerveza grande and an ice cream.

Dinner shall be menu peregrinos. Beware offers of fruit for desert, there'll always be flan lurking somewhere.

Visit Pulperia Ezequiel in Melide for the best octopus ever and Bar O 46 in SdC for the best pimentos padron (permissable as they're more oil than vegetable), pig's ears and genuinely scary Spanish ladies.

Last edited:
I feel we are sypatico in this regard, so here is my Chubby Englishman's Camino Diet Guide.

Breakfast will be either; Ham and eggs and chips, Tortilla, possibly the best foodstuff known to man or as one enters Galicia Tarta de Santiago, all washed down with cafe con leche and a Kas Naraja, or if you want to be healthy a Kas Limon. Oh, and Churros con chocolate, lots and lots of that.

Lunch will be a handmade bocadillo featuring chorizo or jamon, queso and perhaps in circumstances of extreme dehydation a bit of tomato, but purely for water content, not because in Spain they're delicious. To be washed down with cerveza grande and an ice cream.

Dinner shall be menu peregrinos. Beware offers of fruit for desert, there'll always be flan lurking somewhere.

Visit Pulperia Ezequiel in Melide for the best octopus ever and Bar O 46 in SdC for the best pimentos padron (permissable as they're more oil than vegetable), pig's ears and genuinely scary Spanish ladies.
I agree with 98% of what you say.. but a tomato?? Really?? Next you'll be suggesting I don't pick all the onion out of my cheese and onion pie !!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
?????
You can eat whatever you want while walking the Camino.
Not all albergues offer dinner/evening meals. Actually, most do not. Many have kitchen areas where you can prepare your meals, or prepare one as a group, and again what you or the group decides to eat is completely by choice and what is available at the local market.
If you do not like veggies, do not eat veggies. It is not a Dickens novel.
but you must eat your gruel in the morning! lol :D
Gruel, that’s cruel............ sorry, but someone had to say it!

Gruel, that’s cruel............ sorry, but someone had to say it!

Is true - saw very little cereals for breakfast on CF Sept/Oct 2018.... But then breakfasts offered were seldom more that cafe con lechie and toasted slices of baguette or croissant

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No need to fear vegetables. My first few pilgrim menu meals on the CF had me seriously concerned I might develop scurvy.

You are safe from vegetables in Spain. A typical first is pasta, second meat and fries. Dessert ice cream bar, rice pudding, flan or fruit. I had to go to a grocery store for veggies which I missed alot. Even salad is iceberg lettuce with tomato, white asparagus, tuna and olives

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Google Pilgrim's Menu. All are about the same and delicious. The bars serve great breakfasts.

I am a Keto eater. My Camino is not quite Keto. Tortillas, pork (any cured or fried form), eggs, and Americanos galore. Also dark chocolate. Also nuts. I have 2-3 Tortillas every day.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.