• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food Etiquette on the Caminho/Camino

Urban Trekker

Happy Trails
Time of past OR future Camino
English Camino (2013)
Portuguese Camino (2014)
French Camino (2016)
Way of Saint Francis April 2017
I like my food spicy and especially love Mexican food. Silly me, I got it into my head that the food in Spain would be similar to the food in Mexico:oops:. Don't get me wrong, I loved the food in Spain especially Paella :).
My question is, would it be considered rude or poor etiquette to bring and add my own hot sauce to food in a restaurant or caféo_O. Tortilla Espanola with a bit of habaneros sauce or Louisiana style hot sauce, yum ;).

Happy Trails

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I like my food spicy and especially love Mexican food. Silly me, I got it into my head that the food in Spain would be similar to the food in Mexico:oops:. Don't get me wrong, I loved the food in Spain especially Paella :).
My question is, would it be considered rude or poor etiquette to bring and add my own hot sauce to food in a restaurant or caféo_O. Tortilla Espanola with a bit of habaneros sauce or Louisiana style hot sauce, yum ;).

Happy Trails

I think that you won't have any problem.

Thanks Diogo. I don't want some enraged chef/ cook threatening me with a knife ; )

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Potato omelette (tortilla espanola) being, by and large, pretty tasteless I would recommend secreting about your person some "Aromat" seasoning (doesn't weigh very much) and a small bottle of Tabasco sauce or salsa picante.

Discreetly applied to your meal I am sure the chef won't be too upset!

Last edited:
i always travel with my 'special' salt in a neutral glass vial and other spices in small/tiny travel containers (no labels). never caused a stir.
this is also an idea:
http://lifehacker.com/5942892/use-empty-tic-tac-boxes-as-travel-spice-containers
http://www.atgear.co.za/partner-products/39-travel-spice-container.html (the ones i use i much smaller though. )
also - as a professional chef (quit many years ago) and a host of many culinary parties & events, i though always appreciated it when people at least tasted the food as it was served before their own 'spice rack&bottles' came into action :)
saluti, claudia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I taste before I add anything. Just want to be sure I don't cause an international incident. I made Paella today for the first time. Too much thyme :) otherwise my recipe is a keeper.

Last edited:

Happy Trails
I had the same thoughts. Boy was I surprised....and wished I had brought some Tabasco along.
I don't think it would be frowned upon...just be subtle. And don't fall for those weird "name brand" paella's that are on the restaurant advertising boards.....not pleasant. We had the best homemade paella on our camino last year in Samos and she brought a little bottle of hot sauce without me asking. It was like I found heaven!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take the sauce with you, but be fairly discreet.
I do the same in England! :)
Spanish food tends to be somewhat spicier than here in the UK, but it still often benefits from being spiced up a bit. Also, the older you get, the blander food can taste as your taste-buds disappear. It's OK for youngsters like Diogo!
[I love my mango and chilli sauce!!]

If you are eating at one of the pilgrim meals I can't imagine anyone caring in the least, but be prepared to share.

If you take the time to eat in a nicer resturaunt, leave it in your pocket. (That is only my opinion, I wouldn't do that in a resturaunt here in the states.) Spain, even the smaller towns in Spain are almost at the epicenter of the world culinary explosion. Enjoy as much as possible.

Restaurant owners, cooks and waiters know that us foreigners do "weird" things. I remember a "mozo" listening patiently while I explained to him that no, a salad spiced with beacon does not qualify as a vegetarian dish (I am not a veggie, but a walking friend who did not speak Spanish was).
On the other side, if you consider the local food unsavory, or too spiced or salty, be polite and considerate about that. Remember, gastronomy is an important part of national identity, and almost every country thinks his is the best of the world.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Please don't be offended by what I write here, but I'm afraid that I find this sort of attitude rather narrow-minded.

Spanish food is certainly not 'spicy', but you don't need to smother things with hot sauces to enjoy them.

There is, as another poster has pointed out, a lot more to the food in Spain than tortilla and paella. The southern regions tend to serve lots of fried fish, while rice dishes abound on or around the Mediterranean coast. Once you get up towards the north ('Green Spain', as it's often referred to) then there are far more hearty dishes, many of them stews. Examples would be Marmitako de Bonito in the Basque Country, Cocido Montañés in and around Cantabria, Fabada or Pote Asturiano in Asturias, and Caldo Gallego/Pote Gallego in Galicia. And the fish/shellfish in Galicia is abolutely exquisite: go for anything like gambas or langostinos 'al ajillo' and you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that it's quite spicy.

Try them, and I guarantee that you won't be disappointed. Just leave your hot sauces behind in the USA, please!

Part of the attraction of walking the Camino is when you get the chance to sample the gastronomy.

If you are eating at one of the pilgrim meals I can't imagine anyone caring in the least, but be prepared to share.

If you take the time to eat in a nicer resturaunt, leave it in your pocket. (That is only my opinion, I wouldn't do that in a resturaunt here in the states.) Spain, even the smaller towns in Spain are almost at the epicenter of the world culinary explosion. Enjoy as much as possible.
Unless I'm someplace on the East Coast for Midwest I can get different kinds of hot sauce is in the local restaurants. They even put it on the tables

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Happy Trails
Paul Prudhomme, the famous New Orleans chef, always carried a small bottle of hot sauce when he traveled. He was known to pull it out of his pocket when eating at the famous 4-star restaurants in Paris and douse everything with it. I took note of that when I read it. I am convinced that hot sauce is rather addictive and the user must continually increase the amount he uses. That has certainly been my personal experience. I want more and more. I do, however, try to curtail it so I won't become another Prudhomme. When my father went to assisted living he carried about four bottles of different types of hot sauce to the communal dining room. It didn't take long for the other residents to start using my dad's hot sauces. I also worked with an older man in Chicago who had reached the point where he put tabasco in his coffee! I must admit it doesn't seem right for French food, and one should taste what the cook had intended the dish to taste like, but take your hot sauce and feel free to use it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have, in the past, loved the FLAVOR of Habañero. Alas, as I dive more and more into my dotage, I find I'm becoming more and more sensitive to various foods. This has provided me the opportunity of tasting real foods and cuisines -- amazing how wonderful many foods and dishes taste - even without salt... But each to her/his own taste!
¡Buen Provecho!

I am glad yo hear Spanish and Mexican are different. I do not like spicy food, this was one of my concerns. I am glad yo hear I can eat the food.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like my food spicy and especially love Mexican food. Silly me, I got it into my head that the food in Spain would be similar to the food in Mexico:oops:. .
Happy Trails

Funny. This brought me memories of supposedly Mexican saloon girls in the classical western movies, dressed as Sevilla "manolas" and dancing to the ryhtm of "pasodobles" :)
Big cities, as Burgos, León and Pamplona, are fairly cosmopolites. Upon Google, there are Mexican restaurantes (well, kind of...probably more "tex-mex) in those cities, as there will be probably Chinese, Thai and French ones. But the Spanish gastronomy is magnificent, and there are notable specialties in every province. I have left some restaurants on the Camino in a condition akin of a gastronomic Nirvana...for instance, Casa Armendariz, in Viana.

Last edited:
I am glad yo hear Spanish and Mexican are different. I do not like spicy food, this was one of my concerns. I am glad yo hear I can eat the food.

Have no fears: Spanish food will not make you need to drink 20 beers (unless you want to drink 20 beers, that is!).

I carried hot sauce and many hikers asked to borrow it ! I also carried salt and pepper--while some, not all, places put out salt, only two places had pepper and it was a mild red pepper not black pepper. And how do you like those dry hamburgers? They put two bland hamburgers on a big bagettete and think you are crazy if you expect tomato, onion, lettuce, peppers on it. On the Camino you won't beat a can of sardines mixed with a handful of peanuts covered with hot sauce.

Unless I'm someplace on the East Coast for Midwest I can get different kinds of hot sauce is in the local restaurants. They even put it on the tables
I'm from the Midwest and we have loads of different hot sauces. Personally, the spicier the better. You must be speaking of some other Midwest. ;-)

Also agree that it's best to just appreciate the foods you're given rather than dousing them in sauce. I love it when food makes my eyes water and my nose run but that's not Spanish food. And you are, after all, making a trip to Spain.

BTW-- no matter what anyone tells you, patatas bravas are not spicy. I was so sad.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And how do you like those dry hamburgers? They put two bland hamburgers on a big bagettete and think you are crazy if you expect tomato, onion, lettuce, peppers on it.
I've heard from several sources that the hamburgers at the albergue/hotel in Villafranca Montes de Oca are quite good. Maybe other gastronomes on this thread can verify?

I think we should just expect to eat American food in America. Don't expect it to be like home. It isn't home. I found a great burger in Madrid on the recommendation of another American who lived there.

I came to realize I needed to just appreciate a good burger when I got home. Besides, you'll never find tapas in the states to match the tapas in Spain. Relish what you've got.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've heard from several sources that the hamburgers at the albergue/hotel in Villafranca Montes de Oca are quite good. Maybe other gastronomes on this thread can verify?
I can veryfy that everything here was good! (Didn't have the burger though). And I almost blush to admit that I stayed there an extra night for the sake of their great food - and the general ambience of the place ...

annelise

I thought this thread is about the caminho Portuges. Villafranca Montes de Oca is around Burgos so I donot think walkers on the caminho Portuges are going there to score a burger.

I think that the original poster said that he would be walking the Camino Portugués, but I suppose that this thread about food is applicable to any of the Caminos.

Oop, Sorry!:oops: well -- just in case anyone gets lost.... :) yep, I know Montes is nowhere near the Portuguese -- just in case... ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
a good hot sauce or spices can be fabulous natural anti-inflamatories...i always carry a bit with me hiking..

I like Spanish food in its original form but found that a little hot sauce made some of the dishes even better. Through pure luck, I found several varieties of Tabasco brand sauces in a super market outside of Leon but I would suggest you bring your own as this didn't seem the norm. They went really well on Tortilla Espana as well as the Caldo Gallego (Galician stew) near the end. I was discrete in my seasoning and never drew the ire of any chefs or restaurant staffs.

BTW-- no matter what anyone tells you, patatas bravas are not spicy. I was so sad.
It must depend on either the cafe or the area. We had patatas bravas in Ribadasella on the north coast and they must have had a potful of chili in them. If you do not like hot spicy food then ask for them without sauce, or have it put at the side.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I taste before I add anything. Just want to be sure I don't cause an international incident. I made Paella today for the first time. Too much thyme :) otherwise my recipe is a keeper.
I never put thyme in paella, I use saffron or turmeric plus peppers (green and red), onion, garlic and the fish/chicken etc.

I will remember the turmeric. Otherwise everything there was in mine ;)
I never put thyme in paella, I use saffron or turmeric plus peppers (green and red), onion, garlic and the fish/chicken etc.

Does anybody know if mercadona's or any other supermarkets sell quark? And what is it called there? The desert thpe fruitquarks, not the normal white quark.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was planning that when i was finally on the road, and at some random Alburgue, to grab up some tomatoes, onion, garlic, local chillies, tomato sauce and other secret well known ingredients and have a side to grace the table with a little taste of home..or not, if i could find some Pequin chillies, i would probably get tossed out on my bum for concocting the flammable mix!

No thyme. And I never use red and green peppers when I make paella. But will use a large bottle of pimentos (yes a pepper but I like the taste of those) I use more shrimp than fish. And when I make Cioppino it is more fish than shrimp.

Turmeric, whilst yellow colouring in effect, is a "souring" spice as against saffron, more expensive than gold by weight, is sweetly fragrant.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From a Spanish sugar packet:- (translation)
"It takes 160,000 stigmas of saffron flowers to make 1 kilogram of saffron"
I like either saffron or turmeric - the latter is anti-inflamatory so has its uses and does add flavour as well as colour but use sparingly.

Silly me, I got it into my head that the food in Spain would be similar to the food in Mexico:oops:.
Yeah, that's kind of a silly expectation. The food in Spain is as close to Mexican food as is it to Chinese food.... o_O.

Just for starters ask for a Spanish Omelette in Mexico City and compare it with a Spanish Omelette in Spain...only thing they have in common are the eggs....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Back to the taste of food on the Potuguese or other caminos, I have never been on the Portuguese until now but I guess it is there like on other caminos where pilgrims walk for weeks or months. Most of us take the menu del dia, mainly because it is cheap and you do not have time or money to eat at star restaurants at least not more than a few times if ever. The food is OK, but after a week or month you dream about something else. Homecooked food for instance.
I think it would have been like that whereever you go, Spain, Mexico, Norway or China. After some days you get a bit fed up, but after all it is some kind of luxury to have your meals served everyday when a lot of people in the world do not have enough food to avoid starving. Perhaps a bit of grandmotherthinking, but.....

Food on camino portugese is sooooo much better then on the Frances. Its like Day and night if you ask me.

I make a distinction between savory and spicy
savory adds dimensions to the food
spicy adds one
most tex mex is spicey, the southern neighbors add condiments as a savory compliment..does the Portugese add either?

Being from Louisiana, I'm used to a certain kick to food. I found that the seafood in Portugal and Spain was plentiful and beautiful, but it did lack Tabasco/Creole seasoning. I wished that I had brought some along. Next time ill be ready!

Portugese have hot piri piri sauce.
I am glad the Spanish and Portugese do not serve that hot spicy food.
They offer the real taste of food. Not like in your country where everything is overdone with all kind of sauces ,ketchup and other flavours so the real taste has disappeared.

Are you REALLY so xenophobic to criticize the cuisine of an entire nation of people? I truly hope not.

BTW, the French often liberally use sauces as part of their cuisine and Asian and Indian cuisine is often heavily spiced. You have a problem with them too?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My biggest disappointment on the Camino Frances was the blandness of the food. It was rare to find a flavorful meal until we reached Galecia. We stopped in a grocery store, and I found a bottle of Tabasco and a bottle of BBQ sauce. I carried those in my pack and used them often. I added those to an empinada one night, and it tasted great!

When we visited Portugal after the camino, I liked the food much better. Lots of different flavors and tasty things... We ate very well there!

Man.... all of this for a simple "sauce" question!! Can you believe it!! Hey buddy, do what you want. If you feel it's ok, it's ok. If you are asking it's because you have enough respect to do it the right way, where and when. The Camino is all about wht you make it, about experience and people.
Cheers,
D

Let's put it an other way. When I go to another country-and I have been in many all over the world- I do not take my own " favorite"bottle of this or that sauce from home with me to taste up the food they serve me. I accept it as it is . I am a guest in their country. Besides that and now back to the camino. To take a bottle of bbq sause in my backpack to carry all the way. We try to save weight of the backpack to the max
and then we carry a bottle of sauce !? Maybe you. I definitely not !

I have no problem with Asian ,Indian,Brasilean ,Mexican, French or whatever food.
I even like to get aquainted with it when I am abroad.
We can discuss about taste and flavours but this is useless because your and my perception about it is so different .
Have a nice day.!

I've been around the world too, my friend. Making food taste palatable to yourself isn't disrespectful. It's preference. I do try things "the local way," but let's face it- anyone who thinks those ham bocadillas are a delicacy must be crazy! 3-4 tiny pieces of ham on 3-day old bread that can cut your gums? Sorry, but I require a little mustard, hot sauce, or something to give that some taste!

I always have to laugh a little at the constant weight arguments. People constantly add souvenirs to their packs, but nobody complains about that added weight... but tell them you are carrying a 2 ounce bottle of Tobasco, and they think you are setting yourself up for a hiking failure! (Not to mention, that bottle got lighter as I used it.) Now... I'll admit that it was a pain to carry the bottle of wine a kind Irishman gave to me on a day when I wasn't carrying my pack! With nowhere to put it, I had to grip it for 10-12 miles that day. My forearms were sore, but sharing the wine was good later that night! LOL

I need to search for the thread that tells the woeful story of some poor soul who had to quit the Camino because they carried a tube of toothpaste that was too big, or they had too many pairs of socks in their bag. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 7

They offer the real taste of food. Not like in your country where everything is overdone with all kind of sauces ,ketchup and other flavours so the real taste has disappeared.

Well said, Albertinho!!!!!! My thoughts exactly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

What an extraordinarily pejorative statement.
chacun à son goût

Steady guys. It seems even discussion of hot sauces can over-heat some members. Let's keep off personal criticisms and stick with personal tastes..

I don't see anything to object to. All Albertinho was saying (and I wholeheartedly agree with him) is that Spanish food is straightforward, simple fare, and doesn't need to be smothered in ketchup, tabasco or other spicy sauces; otherwise, it would lose the flavour.

A basic tenet of this forum is that members post their own opinions, and strive to avoid direct criticism of others opinions. That's how we keep it friendly. I do not seek to point a finger at any individual in this thread, just post a gentle reminder.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't see anything to object to. All Albertinho was saying (and I wholeheartedly agree with him) is that Spanish food is straightforward, simple fare,.

I bet many Spaniards would be insulted by your statement.

As a North American (Texan, specifically), I chose not to be insulted by Albertinho's jab at my culture's cuisine.

Though he boasts of having traveled all over the world, I call his bluff. He clearly has never been to the United States and never actually sampled our fare. Why waste any outrage over someone who is merely spouting tired, cliche'd stereotypes out of his wazoo?

I put hot sauce on my tortilla bocadillo, and call it fusion cuisine. Yee-Haw.

I do think food is one of those highly personal, emotional issues, with the added complexity of culture. I do find sweeping declarations against a country's cuisine ethnocentric, but I appreciate the underlying cultural attitudes that lead to such opinions.

Some of the worst food I've ever eaten in my life was in Spain, and some of the finest I've ever eaten was in Spain, and lots in between. Just like any other country I've been to. I tend to eat as the Romans when in Rome, but if someone feels a burning desire to bring their own condiments to the Camino, fill your boots!

The Camino is not a culinary trail. It's a pilgrim trail that goes mostly through small villages and countryside, and some might find the food along the way a bit basic, but what do you expect, Michelin 3 stars? Food along the Camino is mostly utilitarian, like the people. Hard working, honest, earthy folk, many of whom have (historically) toiled in the fields for long hours and don't have time to review Julia Child's collected works or the latest Food Network culinary fads. The food is functional and sometimes exactly what a pilgrim needs, hearty and sustaining.

Otherwise, anyone who thinks Spain's overall cuisine is basic, lacking in creativity obviously hasn't dined in Madrid, Barcelona or the big cities along the Camino. Furthermore, Restaurant Magazine judged elBulli (now closed, but existed in the town of Roses, Catalonia) to be #1 on its Top 50 list of the world's best restaurants for a record five times -- 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009, and #2 in 2010. Regarding etiquette, I likely wouldn't bring my own Tabasco sauce into a place like this.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I make a distinction between savory and spicy
savory adds dimensions to the food
spicy adds one
most tex mex is spicey, the southern neighbors add condiments as a savory compliment..does the Portugese add either?

Portuguese food is generally not spicy at all. The one exception in my experience is the piri piri, a hot sauce that goes on chicken. Or you can get spicy food in the many Indian/Goan restaurants. And food from Angola and Mozambique, which is also available in big cities, also tends to the spicy. But continental Portuguese food is pretty tame when it comes to spice. I remember a conversation years ago with a Portuguese friend who had asked me how I had made something I had served him for dinner. I started with, "well first I sautéed some onions and garlic..." Before I could get any further, he kind of gasped in disbelief, and said -- "Onions AND garlic???"

For me the beauty of Portuguese food is the simplicity of totally fresh ingredients prepared without much adornment but with a whole lot of taste. I get tired of eating out in restaurants, except when I'm in Portugal. I never tire of ridiculously fresh grilled fish, seasoned with salt, served with a few boiled potatoes and some broccoli. Yum!

Portuguese food is generally not spicy at all. The one exception in my experience is the piri piri, a hot sauce that goes on chicken. Or you can get spicy food in the many Indian/Goan restaurants. And food from Angola and Mozambique, which is also available in big cities, also tends to the spicy. But continental Portuguese food is pretty tame when it comes to spice. I remember a conversation years ago with a Portuguese friend who had asked me how I had made something I had served him for dinner. I started with, "well first I sautéed some onions and garlic..." Before I could get any further, he kind of gasped in disbelief, and said -- "Onions AND garlic???"

For me the beauty of Portuguese food is the simplicity of totally fresh ingredients prepared without much adornment but with a whole lot of taste. I get tired of eating out in restaurants, except when I'm in Portugal. I never tire of ridiculously fresh grilled fish, seasoned with salt, served with a few boiled potatoes and some broccoli. Yum!
Ummmmm, I know exactly what you mean, Laurie :p
But I use chard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chard) seasoned with garlic instead of broccoli...

Buen provecho!

I love food that is prepared with" Love" not all food has it, but you have tasted it, the little extra something in the dish..no matter how simple the fare, i have been blessed to have eaten some of the finest meals, the simplest of, prepared by the poorest of companions, that touched my heart// the greatest of gifts are measured by the magnitude of the sacrifice in which it was tendered. I was glad to eat the unadorned meal, foregoing the condiments in favor of a simple Pico de Gallo, or similar home grown and prepared side, offered with love and honor, i was truly blessed to sit at such lofty heights as at the table of these folks.

no one has a perfect palette, i cant eat certain of foods, i love cheese, ohhhh the agony though
A fisherman on the Padre Island national seashore offered me some minutes old from the water to the pan Redfish, foil wrapped, lemon, pepper, lime a lil onion.and thats it
ina word..
awsome!
i do love me some Franks Hot Sauce, some Jalapenos, piquin chillies, and am known to drown skirt steak in cheese and pico
eat food
be happy
belch loudly and smile
there are no better pleasures in life..
except to do so in the company of friends!
Peace

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bet many Spaniards would be insulted by your statement.

I doubt that very much. I've lived here for 29 years and can assure you that 99.9% of Spaniards would have no qualms about what we are attempting to say about the marvellous and varied cuisine available in this vast country.

And no-one has mentioned vegemite....

My personal preference is not to have sugar with everything and many sauces are sweet. I can't stand eggs with sugar (eg BBQ or brown or hot sauce). I was disappointed to find that even the French seem to have fallen for lots of sugar - caramelised balsamic vinegar is just an upmarket way of adding sugar to salads. But in contradictory fashion I love Thai food and it has lots of sugar. Personal tastes are just that - personal. I say cheers to more human weirdness. It keeps life interesting.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This thread is a classic! Forgetting personal preferences and some of our own prejudices about different cuisines, it's interesting to see what people think is good food.

I'm sure that food in the USA is not only what we witness on programmes like Man Versus Food!!!! At least I hope not! Quantity before quality? No, thanks!

Here's a thought! We should contact Adam Richman (Man Vs. Food) and invite him to walk a couple of the stages of the Camino del Norte.

We could then sit him down in a restaurant in Áviles and get him to attempt to devour a whole pot (say 4 kilos) of Pote Asturiano or Fabada Asturiana in an hour.

The following day, he could then set off on that long long stage to Soto de Luiña (37 kilometres). I would bet he wouldn't even get as far as Salinas!

And no-one has mentioned vegemite....

My personal preference is not to have sugar with everything and many sauces are sweet. I can't stand eggs with sugar (eg BBQ or brown or hot sauce). I was disappointed to find that even the French seem to have fallen for lots of sugar - caramelised balsamic vinegar is just an upmarket way of adding sugar to salads. But in contradictory fashion I love Thai food and it has lots of sugar. Personal tastes are just that - personal. I say cheers to more human weirdness. It keeps life interesting.
Exactly!
De gustibus non est disputandum.

But recommendations are welcome though ;)

I'm sure that food in the USA is not only what we witness on programmes like Man Versus Food!!!!
Here is one offering:
Red Robin: A.1 Peppercorn Monster Burger, with Steak Fries and Monster Salted Caramel Milkshake
• Calories: At least 3,540
• Sat. Fat: 69g
• Sodium 6,280mg

redrobingrab.png

Red Robin has all sorts of burgers for those looking to chow down, but the A.1. Peppercorn is a particularly extreme offering, topped with “hardwood-smoked bacon, melted Pepper-Jack, A.1. Peppercorn Spread, tomatoes and crispy onion straws,” which are basically fried breaded onion strips.

The sizable sandwich can be made a “Monster” by doubling up on the 6-oz. beef patty. And if that weren’t enough, it comes with “Bottomless Steak Fries” for those who want more.

The Monster A.1. burger alone is 1,670 calories. Then throw on at least another 370 calories for each serving of fries you eat.

But you’ve got to have something to drink, so why not balance out your savory burger and fries with a Red Robin Classic milkshake, and make it a Monster, which means it comes with a refill tin full of extra shake.

Eat all this and you’ve likely consumed more than 1.5 days’ worth of calories, more than 3 days’ worth of saturated fat and four days’ worth of sodium.

CSPI says this is “like eating seven McDonald’s Double Cheeseburgers washed down with a quart of Coke,” and that you’d need 12 hours of brisk walking to burn the calories off.

Here is one offering:
Red Robin: A.1 Peppercorn Monster Burger, with Steak Fries and Monster Salted Caramel Milkshake
• Calories: At least 3,540
• Sat. Fat: 69g
• Sodium 6,280mg
redrobingrab.png

Red Robin has all sorts of burgers for those looking to chow down, but the A.1. Peppercorn is a particularly extreme offering, topped with “hardwood-smoked bacon, melted Pepper-Jack, A.1. Peppercorn Spread, tomatoes and crispy onion straws,” which are basically fried breaded onion strips.

The sizable sandwich can be made a “Monster” by doubling up on the 6-oz. beef patty. And if that weren’t enough, it comes with “Bottomless Steak Fries” for those who want more.

The Monster A.1. burger alone is 1,670 calories. Then throw on at least another 370 calories for each serving of fries you eat.

But you’ve got to have something to drink, so why not balance out your savory burger and fries with a Red Robin Classic milkshake, and make it a Monster, which means it comes with a refill tin full of extra shake.

Eat all this and you’ve likely consumed more than 1.5 days’ worth of calories, more than 3 days’ worth of saturated fat and four days’ worth of sodium.

CSPI says this is “like eating seven McDonald’s Double Cheeseburgers washed down with a quart of Coke,” and that you’d need 12 hours of brisk walking to burn the calories off.

Just LOOKING at that lot is enough to have me running for the toilet!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, but . . . . .

I started with, "well first I sautéed some onions and garlic..." Before I could get any further, he kind of gasped in disbelief, and said -- "Onions AND garlic???"

Your friend either doesn't know how to cook, or he doesn't know the bases of some portuguese dishes (although he or she, is portuguese :p ). We use a lot of onions and garlic has a base for dishes.

I remember Spain before microwave ovens. When the tortilla was always served hot and fresh. I once picked up a tiny jar of hot pepper flakes/powder in SJPP that was very nice to have along, to introduce some variety to pilgrim menus.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.