• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food on Camino Portugues

Alena

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013 - Astorga-Santiago-Finisterre
Camino Portuguese 2014 - Porto-Santiago
Though it may seem like a topic of a little importance, for me is a very vital part of the Camino experience (literally and figuratively). When I was on the Camino Frances I was a little mad at myself for not checking in advance the subject. Especially considering most menus were in Spanish (of course) and the waiters did not understand a word I said.

So, to cut things short, what should I try at all costs at Camino Portugues? :rolleyes:

Thank you all in advance for the comments. :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Try the bacalhão dishes. Fish ! All kind of combinations with rice,potatoes, sauces.. Delicious but mind the bones.

When you are around Porto go for the Francesinha, a dish very nourative and tastfull
Can't describe it.. Just taste.. Cheese...bread..beef..sausage and a rich sauce. Try !

Furthermore...look at restaurants where the locals eat.. Allways good.

We did not like the dish fejão in Porto. It is a traditional dish. We ate it several times when we were in Brasil and also here in Brasilian restaurants where we live but in Porto they add organic meat to it like a tongue of a cow or from the cows milkfactory as a matter of speaking.. Not for us. No thank you

In Galicia try the tapas. Especially pimientos de Padrón. Only for them we will come back next year.:D
Don't be afraid if you do not speak the language. They donot eat you ! Look around what others eat in restaurants and study the menucard.We had no problems at all nor in Portugal, nor in Spain, nor in Brasil, nor in Iceland, Sweden,Norway nor Finland.
And we are from the Netherlands, speak a "strange language in the ears of Portugese and Spanish , never were hungry or thirsty and loved to walk the caminho Portuges and enjoyed the food.:)
Bom caminho

Last edited:
In Portugal, Francesinhas in Porto, Cozido à Portuguesa everywhere, most of Bacalhau (Cod Fish) dishes, and some game dishes.

In Spain, tapas! And in Padrón, the peppers (Pimentos). But hey, be aware that they are not served at any time of teh year. The good and original ones from Padrón are only being picked up in late May/early June. So if somebody say that they have some Padrón peppers to sell to you, they are either frozen or imported! A lady this year told me that since the peppers are very known, that there are restaurants importing peppers from Marrocos at any time of the year to sell them has Padrón peppers. So you have been warned ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In Portugal, Francesinhas in Porto, Cozido à Portuguesa everywhere, most of Bacalhau (Cod Fish) dishes, and some game dishes.

In Spain, tapas! And in Padrón, the peppers (Pimentos). But hey, be aware that they are not served at any time of teh year. The good and original ones from Padrón are only being picked up in late May/early June. So if somebody say that they have some Padrón peppers to sell to you, they are either frozen or imported! A lady this year told me that since the peppers are very known, that there are restaurants importing peppers from Marrocos at any time of the year to sell them has Padrón peppers. So you have been warned ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

Wished we could get the peppers here ! either from Spain or Morocco. We do not care about it.. Good stuff. I have been told by Spanish friends that you can buy them in every supermercado. Can't wait to come back next spring.

Abracoes disso lado de Europa .

Though it may seem like a topic of a little importance, for me is a very vital part of the Camino experience (literally and figuratively). When I was on the Camino Frances I was a little mad at myself for not checking in advance the subject. Especially considering most menus were in Spanish (of course) and the waiters did not understand a word I said.

So, to cut things short, what should I try at all costs at Camino Portugues? :rolleyes:

Thank you all in advance for the comments. :D

I learned a dish I make all the time now.. ensalada simple... just green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, onions, balsamic and olive oil.. with all the walking, that salad really kept me going! I actually liked the fejao but to each his own :) I don't speak Spanish, I speak very crude Brasilian Portugues, but people like to try to talk to you no matter what... we had people walking with us to show us a better path to walk, and they didn't speak English at all :) Enjoy every second... I did :)

I learned a dish I make all the time now.. ensalada simple... just green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, onions, balsamic and olive oil.. with all the walking, that salad really kept me going! I actually liked the fejao but to each his own :) I don't speak Spanish, I speak very crude Brasilian Portugues, but people like to try to talk to you no matter what... we had people walking with us to show us a better path to walk, and they didn't speak English at all :) Enjoy every second... I did :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am hoping that the custard tarts, natas, are popular in the north of Portugal. I ate so many of them during my vacations in the Algarve.

If you are in Lisbon at any time try a bakery/cafe in the Belem area which makes the most incredible Pateis de Nata, leave a lot of space before you go, you will want more than one or two.

Thanks Mike, I have it in my notes. I was only a couple of blocks from there in March 12 but did not know about it. My sister and her husband visited me in Alvor and took me to Lisbon for a couple of days as a surprise. Wish I had know about it then. Loved Lisbon and looking forward to Porto and the northern part of Portugal next year when I plan to walk. Got to love the Portuguese people!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are in Lisbon at any time try a bakery/cafe in the Belem area which makes the most incredible Pateis de Nata, leave a lot of space before you go, you will want more than one or two.

I don't like those Pasteis de Nata. They only taste good when they are hot (and if you add cinnamon and sugar), and the do really sucks. They even don't win the annual competition for the Pasteis de Nata in years!

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
Thank you all for the lovely feedback! Even though I've already had dinner, my appetite was stirred :D This Francesinha looks quite promising, I think my boyfriend would agree even more than me. Pimentos too!
I am always fascinated by trying local food and what I love about Camino is that we have the great privilege to try genuine local food at small places and not tourist restaurants in the big cities where local taste somehow evades, don't you think?
Also... food tastes twice as good after walking ;)

But Diogo you have to remember that i come from poor old culinary England, so what seems ordinary to you might to me seem delicious, but as an institution its worth a visit.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Since we're talking food ... It seems to me (but perhaps my memory isn't as strong as my walking!) that while walking the Camino Frances that I often took what was offered as a pilgrim meal. Am I forgetting something? Does the same thing happen on the Camino Portuguese?

Yes, mostly from Tui onwards but even then most places offer a regular menu. The menu del peregrino can be read more often as menu del dia on this camino, usually the latter offers more choice at around the same price.

But Diogo you have to remember that i come from poor old culinary England, so what seems ordinary to you might to me seem delicious, but as an institution its worth a visit.

I think that I may not have chosen well my words. And I'm sorry for that. It's worth the visit because it's a centenary house. But I think that the product highly publicized, when it's not even the best. There were a time, probably around 10 or more years ago, when I went there for the first time that they were good, and the do and cream where different from the ones that you eat today. Today, if you buy a 6 box, and bring them for the Hotel to eat at night for example, its money wasted.

I regularly advice the people who stay in the Hotel where I work to go there and taste them, and then, at night, I say to people go to an old bakery that only opens at night (it's a bakery production for pastries) and try one of their Pasteis de Nata. Almost everybody prefers those ones, to the Pasteis de Belém.

And @mikevasey I don't think that England has bad dishes. I have family in there, and they say that the food it's different, but that isn't bad at all. Specially the game dishes :)

And if you come back to Lisbon, I will let you try a real Pastel de Nata ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You were very close to just doing that Diogo, i just decided that it was not possible for me to go to Sintra this weekend, otherwise you could have expected a visit.

See you soon!

What you say Mike ! My daughter likes the food of your very British ! cook Jamie Oliver. I allways tell her with the experience of having been regulairy in UK almost all my life , the best invention of UK food is wrapping the fish and chips in a the Guardian instead of the Daily Mail ! Ha ha.
Oliver pretends to be the innovator of the British kitchen but as far as I am concerned nobody follows his style of cooking.It is still carrots and garden peas, steak and kidney (yaggg to me) pie and so on ! but nothing wrong with it all.

But okay we're talking about Portugese food ! And that's great
Best regards from the Netherlands

Since we're talking food ... It seems to me (but perhaps my memory isn't as strong as my walking!) that while walking the Camino Frances that I often took what was offered as a pilgrim meal. Am I forgetting something? Does the same thing happen on the Camino Portuguese?
Almost every restaurant in Portugal offers "um menu do dia " at midday for about 10€

Hey, fish and chips dont knock them, If i was still living in the North of England it would be my staple diet with mushy peas. If you have them never wrap them, have them open and scoff them straight away, the heat in enclosed paper starts to steam the batter and make it soggy.

Point taken on the rest of the food!:) We will have to discuss it over a plate of satay sauce and chips some day;)

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be trouble, I'm a steak and potatoes kind of guy and allergic to fish.:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Truth be known, I found good things to eat everywhere I went on my ingles Camino last year and I don't read Spanish and speak a little Mexican Spanish.:rolleyes:

Hey, fish and chips dont knock them, If i was still living in the North of England it would be my staple diet with mushy peas. If you have them never wrap them, have them open and scoff them straight away, the heat in enclosed paper starts to steam the batter and make it soggy.

Point taken on the rest of the food!:) We will have to discuss it over a plate of satay sauce and chips some day;)

Mike
We'll do ! :)
The north of England ?
My fish and chips allways tasted the best in "the Sunderland Echo "!
Howay the lads !

Albertinho, sunderlandl:( Really!!! If it was served to me in that i would have thrown it in bin and asked for my money back, then gone to my doctors just to make sure that i had not caught anything nasty.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
:mad: Was it so bad upthere in Geordieland ,weah man ?

I have been there over 25 years ,several times during the year at Silksworth,remembering the pitts,Sunderland F.C. At Roker Park playing in the 2nd division , and in wintertime black snow due to filthy smoke of open coalfires. But I allways liked to come back there. But haven't been there about 10 years since both our friends passed away.
Anyway I can't remember having culinairy stuff except the fish and chips, gardenpeas, yorkshire puds and steak and kidney pie.

After finishing the caminho Portuges earlier his year we now think to come back to Galicia next year and walk the camino Inglès from Ferrol.I am studying now a.o. this forum about it and do some research.We will come with our car and caravan and after the walk we'll make a tour through Portugal to visit all those beautiful places we passed during our caminho.

We just finished the coastal route of the portuguese Camino and can say the portuguese food was very good! In Lisbon we were advised to go to a little local restaurant (I am sorry I can't remember the name of it) but the waiters were very good at explaining things to us. Just remember that everything that comes to the table is paid for including bread, so if you don't want bread tell the waiter straight away because they just brought it out. Mind you the bread and baked goods were one of the things we enjoyed the most!

We kept our meals pretty simple at first, but once in spain a lot of people outside the big cities don't speak english, so it is good to know the basic words of chicken, beef, fish etc so you know at least the kind of meat you are ordering! One of the best meals we had was just outside of Teo. If you are thinking of staying at Teo, think of giving yourself a treat and stay at the Parrada de Francos (not sure of the spelling). Instead of walking into the Albergue at Teo (I think about another 1 or 1.5Klms from the Camino) just keep on waking the track. Once you get to the old wayside cross marker and the little church you turn and head down towards a little green tree filled road, as you turn to head down the laneway the Parrada de Francos is on your right and there is a restaurant on your left. Both are highly recommended by us! The accomodation was a beautiful cottage style room with a lovely big bath - the biggest and best to soak in after walking all day! The owners were so friendly and helpful and spoke a little english.

Even if you don't stay the night there, if you are just heading through consider stopping for lunch at the restaurant. We really had no idea what we were ordering at that stage so we just literally picked two things off the menu. They were both very very tasty! I think mine had Especial or something in the name... or something like secret... It was great. We went back again for dinner and just had the 10 euro meal and that was also really good. Simple tuna and tomato salad to start, but it was good and then a chicken dish that had a few bones, but was packed with flavour! It also had wine or a drink. That was my most memorable meal on the Camino, but I have had a few nice ones since just travelling through spain!

I hope you enjoy the Camino - it is very beautiful!

Buen Camino

I can't see a mention of Pulpo here. Not everyone's cup of tea ( or kettle of fish ! ) but I'm one of the many who relished it from Tui to SdC. Also ALL the shellfish along that coast including some wonderful little barnacle things that may have been called goose necks or similar. One of my favourite experiences was a Saturday morning visit to the fresh produce market in Pontevedra. As a traveller I was sadly without cooking facilities otherwise I'm sure I would have been laden with the fruits of the sea and shore.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can't see a mention of Pulpo here. Not everyone's cup of tea ( or kettle of fish ! ) but I'm one of the many who relished it from Tui to SdC. Also ALL the shellfish along that coast including some wonderful little barnacle things that may have been called goose necks or similar. One of my favourite experiences was a Saturday morning visit to the fresh produce market in Pontevedra. As a traveller I was sadly without cooking facilities otherwise I'm sure I would have been laden with the fruits of the sea and shore.

All along the Camino Portugues de la Costa, and when you hit Vigo………………. the Mercado de la Piedra!….…...speechless…….. pulpo, percebes,almejas, vieras…….the list is endless.:) Buen provecho.

Buen Camino!

Hi Albertinho ive been friends with a few Mackems and they are lovely people, its an old reflex i have, of days long gone when following my team if i was to hear the name Sunderland it would not be received in a positive light.
I know all about the dirt of the North East coming from an area of it which even gets looked upon as dirty by the other people from up there. Buen camino and i hope our ways meet one day.

Pulpo i went to try it in Padron on the CP but the place that the guide recommended was shut, we asked around and very highly recommended was a pulperia called Purgatorio, its about 20 meters from the main church near the albergue, next door to the cafe/shop with lovely crazy owner. I think there no board indicating it outside and the decor inside is very basic but dont let that put you off, the Pulpo is top notch.

Mike

Hi Albertinho ive been friends with a few Mackems and they are lovely people, its an old reflex i have, of days long gone when following my team if i was to hear the name Sunderland it would not be received in a positive light.
I know all about the dirt of the North East coming from an area of it which even gets looked upon as dirty by the other people from up there. Buen camino and i hope our ways meet one day.

Pulpo i went to try it in Padron on the CP but the place that the guide recommended was shut, we asked around and very highly recommended was a pulperia called Purgatorio, its about 20 meters from the main church near the albergue, next door to the cafe/shop with lovely crazy owner. I think there no board indicating it outside and the decor inside is very basic but dont let that put you off, the Pulpo is top notch.

Mike

I do hope you were able to accompany the pulpo with some green peppers from Hebron-Padron. As they are from that area.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Mike

So lots to talk in common Mike .
Hope to meet you to !
Don't know when ,don't know where
We like to come back to Devon/Cornwall one day.
But first back to Galicia and Portugal next year

Best regards from the Netherlands
Albertino

Thanks Albertinho, you never know i might find myself on one of the routes through the lowlands someday,I have certainly walked with a few pilgrims from the Netherlands.

Meindiwalker, of course + went for the house wine in those big ceramic dishes which are so popular in Galicia and Northern Portugal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Food is not a topic of little importance ever, especially not on the Camino. I myself am gluten-intolerant, and I knew that would be a challenge in Portugal and Spain. I also had just worked myself into becoming a vegetarian shortly before my Camino. Changed my mind temporarily when I realized that would probably just be asking too much - NO bread AND no meat? Yikes!

Anyway, I do not recall names of dishes. I just know that I learned early on I could get eggs in the AM if I wanted (I'm into protein) and also thin slices of ham & cheese if I wanted those instead. Salads were good - standard of lettuce, tomato, onion, vinegar & oil. Very yummy, actually. I brought a slew of gluten-free "energy bars" with me from Seattle. I don't even normally eat them, but it seemed smart for some carbs. I also brought a huge bag of a trailmix which was completely low-carb - nuts, seeds, and just a little bit of dried fruit here and there. It literally lasted me the whole 2 weeks I was overseas. Yummy. I also had a store-bought trail mix from Portugal on me.

Vegetables were hard to come by. I'm a huge vegetable-eater, so I settled for "salads" (see above). And fruit, that's also something else I eat a ton of here. But I found the fruit selection in Mercados and elsewhere unappealing. We must be very spoiled here with produce. I did eat their apples and bananas and peaches, but I never found anything that was really tasty. Along the Camino, though, all food tasted pretty darn good!

I loved the squid - always have to try that dish with the fava beans! YUM YUM. And the other fish I really loved was Hake (Spain) - a delicious white fish. One thing I really appreciated was that not much was overrun with sauces, as we tend to do here in the States. Most dishes were actually very simple and SO SO tasty.

I had the Padron peppers, or so I thought (an earlier poster indicated they are not available fresh in October, so I guess I was foiled?) Whatever they were they were scrumptious.

I ate a lot of cheeses, chorizo, salads, seafood (no sardines, though...), drank lots of absolutely delicious coffee and my were the Portugal wines wonderful!

The night before we walked into Santiago (in Padron) we went for 7 tapa dishes and shared them. That was the best food the whole time I was there, I think. I cannot recall all the dishes, besides the peppers, some prawns, a pork dish, and of course potatoes (and I cannot find them on the web), but everything was absolutely fabulous and gluten-free! I never did get to try the almond-lemon dessert that was so popular, though. No worries; I'm not a dessert person anyway!

I didn't have trouble ordering. Sometimes a dinner-mate who spoke Portuguese or Spanish ordered. Sometimes they had an English menu. Sometimes the server spoke a bit of English. And sometimes we flailed our hands about as best we could! (And I used my dictionary.) I never ended up with something I didn't order, except bread. Even when I clearly said in the correct language with correct words "No bread", I got bread. I usually carried it out with me then gave it someone because I was afraid it would be insulting.

Experiment and have fun with it! I found the food delicious, nourishing, and reasonably priced.

Salud!
Laurie B.

My favorite food in all of Europe was, by far, the bread! :) Our bread here is made to last for weeks. We have nothing like Europe. :( Give me a piece of bread with some ham and or cheese and I'm a happy camper.

The Portuguese coastal route is a seafood and fish-lover´s delight, everything utterly fresh and the prices are amazing! The northerners also make their version of Cocido, a huge plate of meat and garbanzos and greens, it is real pilgrim fuel. And don´t forget the roast goat, when you can find it. And the "drowned octopus," and the fire-roasted sardines! The coastal passes through heavily agricultural areas, so the fresh produce (esp. spinach!) is tip-top.

I love Portugal!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Portuguese coastal route is a seafood and fish-lover´s delight, everything utterly fresh and the prices are amazing! The northerners also make their version of Cocido, a huge plate of meat and garbanzos and greens, it is real pilgrim fuel. And don´t forget the roast goat, when you can find it. And the "drowned octopus," and the fire-roasted sardines! The coastal passes through heavily agricultural areas, so the fresh produce (esp. spinach!) is tip-top.

I love Portugal!

Hush you evil woman!;)

You´ve made me hungry and yearn for the Camino Portugues de la Costa.
It was deserted in Aug. 2.010 ( Holy Year) imagine now.
The food simply divine. :)

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back