• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food on CP?

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
How is the food on CP? Is the pilgrims menus similar to those on CF? (Or might they actually have some sauce and vegetables in Portugal ;-)

And will there be any thing else than sandwiches to buy for breakfast in bars. In Spain I had tortilla most days as I'm gluten and lactose intolerant so sandwiches or for example yoghurt is not an option (even thou I had some yoghurts anyway and had to live with a really bad stomach for a day or two). And if tortilla is common what are they called?

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did not see any pilgrim menus when I walked the Portuguese last year - I guess they dont exist there yet, which may be a reassuring thought (also because you sort of know that you what the locals eat as well). I usually ate a menu del dia, and it was usually very good (and really cheap, less than 10 euros), and yes it often includes vegetables !! (as well as herbs and spices) I remember very tasty soups as well. As for breakfast, I cant remember (as I dont really do breakfast). Besides, the Portuguese do seem to like their pastry very much, but I dont know if you can eat that.

Did not see any pilgrim menus when I walked the Portuguese last year - I guess they dont exist there yet, which may be a reassuring thought (also because you sort of know that you what the locals eat as well). I usually ate a menu del dia, and it was usually very good (and really cheap, less than 10 euros), and yes it often includes vegetables !! (as well as herbs and spices) I remember very tasty soups as well. As for breakfast, I cant remember (as I dont really do breakfast). Besides, the Portuguese do seem to like their pastry very much, but I dont know if you can eat that.
Thanks menu del dia is fine and veggies yeh!!! Pastry normally contains gluten. I usually do a late breakfast after abut 10-15 km walking (maybe we should call it brunch). When my stomach has waken. I have emergency hard bread that is gluten free with me and I'm used to buy some cheese or ham tu put on it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also there should be lots of different versions of bacalhão, so Scandinavian salted and dried cod with tomatoes, potatoes, sometimes egg, sometimes onion, sometimes olives and herbs ... Good walking food and normally gluten and dairy/lactose free!

Last edited:
Also there should be lots of different versions of bacalhão, so Scandinavian salted and dried cod with tomatoes, potatoes, sometimes egg, sometimes onion, sometimes olives and herbs ... Good walking food and normally gluten and dairy/lactose free!
Thanks then dinner is solved :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks. I love Padron peppers but not my stomach. I produce to little bile/gall so I can't eat thinks like green peppers, pears, apples and shall avoid onions and fat food as well. I'm also very allergic to mushrooms so being on the camino is sometimes a struggle to find something to eat.

Hi, Beatrice,
In my experience, you will have absolutely no problem finding lots of vegetables, especially green beans, broccoli, carrots, potatoes, and chove (I think that's the name -- it's a leafy green like turnip greens8). The Portuguese are very fond of soup, usually have a bowl before every meal, and lots of those soups are purely vegetarian (unlike Spain, where little bits of meat are almost always thrown in). You are not likely to find anything much more than plain boiled vegetables, nothing too fancy, but the quality is generally excellent and only rarely do you get them terribly overcooked.

If your comment in post #6 means that you also eat fish, you will have absolutely no problem, because the fresh grilled fish in Portugal has got to be its best culinary offering. Robalinho and dourada are two of my favorites. Just get them grilled, they'll come whole to the table (split if they're bigger), always accompanied by a few potatoes and a cooked vegetable, just like Kiwi-family's picture shows. The olive oil is also outstanding, IMO, in fact my children always fight more over the Portuguese olive oil I bring back than the Spanish. Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi, Beatrice,
In my experience, you will have absolutely no problem finding lots of vegetables, especially green beans, broccoli, carrots, potatoes, and chove (I think that's the name -- it's a leafy green like turnip greens8). The Portuguese are very fond of soup, usually have a bowl before every meal, and lots of those soups are purely vegetarian (unlike Spain, where little bits of meat are almost always thrown in). You are not likely to find anything much more than plain boiled vegetables, nothing too fancy, but the quality is generally excellent and only rarely do you get them terribly overcooked.

If your comment in post #6 means that you also eat fish, you will have absolutely no problem, because the fresh grilled fish in Portugal has got to be its best culinary offering. Robalinho and dourada are two of my favorites. Just get them grilled, they'll come whole to the table (split if they're bigger), always accompanied by a few potatoes and a cooked vegetable, just like Kiwi-family's picture shows. The olive oil is also outstanding, IMO, in fact my children always fight more over the Portuguese olive oil I bring back than the Spanish. Bom caminho, Laurie
I eat meat I was just not fond of just dry meat and sloppy fries covered in oil like this:
ypkWClMoFRyoBFjy8ylRjl23MJMRH1PoUI7QHD5mHKg=s640-no

At home I prefer to eat my meat with sauce and vegetables. But I like fish, i east a lot of fish at home. Looks like dinner won't be a problem. It's the breakfast that use to give me most problem. as in small town I can't find gluten free bread in the stores to make my own sandwiches. Hence the question about tortillas as I usually can eat them if they haven't used flour in them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back