• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food on Le Puy

Cherylan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances to Leon (2016)
Camino Frances Leon to Santiago de Compostella (2020)
France Le puy
Kia ora from New Zealand! My husband and I walked the Camino Frances with 8 other family members in 2016 and will fly out from Christchurch New Zealand this Monday to walk from Le Puy to Santiago de Compostela. We plan on camping on most of the French part of our pilgrimage. I am worried about one post that said there are not many places to buy food from.., which will be a problem as we had intended to eat at cafés and restaurants as we walk. Any ideas?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No fear about finding food in France ! It can be difficult to find open shops during May because there are many holidays (1st of May, 8th of May...). But you can easily find cafe and restaurant on Podiensis.
However you should remind that life in France is more expensive than in Spain
In most of small villages on the Via Podiensis you will find at least a café, a bakery or a small grocery.
The "Wise Pilgrim VĂ­a Podiensis" application shows you were you can find shops.

French cafes and restaurants tend to be more particular about opening and closing times than their Spanish counterparts, for example many restaurants will not take lunch orders after 1 o'clock and it can be difficult to get a cheap meal in the evening. Shops may close early in the day too and invariably on Sunday, so eating may take a bit more forward planning than it would on the Camino Frances in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve just walked this route. Just keep in mind that it’s not at all like the CF, which if my memory serves me correctly, had food stops seemingly everywhere. It will definitely require a little more planning on your part, but nothing to be worried about! Mondays though nearly everything was closed. Enjoy! A beautiful route :)

I am in Conques on the Le Puy route right now. I carry a food bag that has a 2 to 4 lunches worth of food and restock as I hit the larger towns. Nuts, dry sausage, hard cheese, chocolate. Calorie density over nutrition. I've had meals at the gites every night, and have not yet gotten a packed lunch from a gîte. Sauges, Espalion, Nasbinals, St. Alban all have supermarkets -- size varies -- open 7 days. I'm probably missing one or two. Aumont Aubrac also. There are also small businesses along the route with good food, cafes, not grocery stores. The weather was poor my first week and some places were closed, especially if they only have outdoor tables. I haven't done a lot of planning, but I always have a meal or three with me.

I've had meals at the gites every night, and have not yet gotten a packed lunch from a gîte.
I suggest to avoid packed lunches from gîte: they are often overrated.
You will find bakeries ("boulangeries") which are selling cheap sandwiches, or even some groceries (from St CĂ´me d'Olt, in the Lot Valley) where you can buy ham, bread, fruits and cheese.
Welcome in France, and enjoy !

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back