• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food on the Camino

hughb

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte June 2013 plus Finisterre
Norrte 2015
Ingles 2016
Portuguese 2018 and 2019
Fatima routes
Have visited rural Spain many times and have always found that the Menu del Dia is really good value at lunchtime, far cheaper than the evening. Is that also the case on the North Route and if so are there many restaurants? Thought we might eat lunchtime sometimes with an easy afternoon stroll and snack in the evenings. Anyone have any ideas? If not what is the food availability on the route as most of what I have read relates only to the France route. :?:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
hughb
I've only walked the first half, but I think your Menu del Dia plan probably works equally well on the Norte. However in the Basque country you'll often have to resist the temptation of all the fantastic looking pintxos laid out along the bar before you can reach the dining room...
Yes, ordering off the menu in the evening can double the cost of what is pretty much the same items as in the Menu del Dia. Always worth checking if they're holding back a much cheaper Platos Combinados menu.
Distinctive features of the coastal Norte include some great ice cream shops in the resort towns and Turkish kebab shops which are cheap and do great falafel based meals for those of us wanting to avoid meat.
cheers, tom

The menu del dia is quite easy to come by on the Norte, just as good value as the Frances with often better choice, the only area it does not compare to the CF is with the wines, they can be a bit vineragry
Another good thing about the basque area on the coast is that they tend to eat earlier than the rest of
Spain, which is good if you are having an evening meal.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Keep to that warm beer Mike,
David

The Cider of Asturias, if my backpack could talk, what shameful tales it would have to tell. The bottles best come with a warning of avoiding groups of Asturians if Spain reaches and wins any major football tournement.

Its Ok Dave i spent 2 very enjoyable years backpacking in Oz and NZ, I learnt the error of my ways in how lagers should be served, the only warm frothy beverage that i sip now is cappucino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Missed that, I went the other way :( . Not sure if the Basque cider is the same as Asturias cider but if it is the British comparison would be Scrumpy, the Asturians pour the liquid into the glass about 2 ft above it (usually about 100ml/4-5 fl oz) and then knock it back in one, repeat until the bottle(s) finished, not sure it makes it taste any better,but it does put some oxygen into it so it can work its magic a little bit faster (and allegedly allow more complex flavours to come through).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No tiene nada que ver la sidra de Asturias con la vasca. Yo no probé la sidra vasca, pero casi toda la gente que conozco y probó ambas dice que es mucho mejor la asturiana.

La sidra asturiana se tira al vaso (escanciar) para que suelte el anhidrido carbónico y de esta forma, por unos segundos, adquiera unas propiedades que no tienen otras sidras. Por eso se debe beber pronto y al trago, para que no se pierdan esas propiedades.

http://www.sidradeasturias.es/guias_pra ... php?id=164

It has nothing to do Asturias cider with Basque. I did not try Basque cider, but most of the people I know and tested both said to be much better Asturias.

The Asturian cider pulled the glass (pour) to release carbon dioxide and so, for a few seconds, purchase properties without other ciders. So you should drink soon and drink, so as not to lose these properties.

http://www.sidradeasturias.es/guias_pra ... a=3&id=164

The last post Mike reminds me of the wonderful scottish movie
The Angela Share.

On the ferry to Santander now, doing the northern route... Will be hunting good value sea food.... any recommendations?

Any little gems for a lover of all things from the sea!

Tanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Food good. Yes, menu del dia at lunchtime. Buy bread and cheese, jamon, etc for supper is best. Tortilla too.
Be aware that shops close Sat pm and Sunday.
Some places have 'desvios' making the route much longer than given in the guides. From Colombres to Pendueles is shorter by road, if you can do so. Ask the locals. If not add 5kms.
From Andrin (coastal route E9) now the official camino because of roadworks, after the 'mirador' where the camino crosses the road it seems possible to walk the road to Cue and Llanes, avoids a long uphill section of the E9. Again ask the locals. By E9 it is 16kms from Pendueles to Llanes.
We did the marked route and realised this last week.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back