• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food on the Camino.

Are you being serious? Honestly? EDITED BY MODERATOR

Do you assume that everyone who travels only does for the food?

There is more to life and travel than what you shovel into your mouth!

There is indeed much more to travel and life than what you shovel into your mouth. However, in virtually all Mediterranean (and many other) countries, food is an important part of the local culture, with feast days etc marking the seasons and anniversaries, and local and regional specialities and rivalries. If people aren't interested in the culture of the country they're travelling through, then fine, get a Big Mac. Otherwise, as has been explained exhaustively above, look and you will find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i am reminded of the times I was honored to be invited to share a meal that 'outsiders' might not--for a wedding, a birth, or the rescue from death of someone important to those at the table. I can say with certainty none of those dishes will ever be on an American fast food menu--to the loss of those who insist that is some sort of standard for food. Some of my happiest memories, for more than one reason, are the little gifts of homeland specialties left for me by my Thai, Korean, Philippina, and Japanese patients, who were happy I actually could tell where they were from (other than just 'Asia') and could name a happy memory of their country, they were proud to come back to drop off a little dish of home-cooked heaven...and the joy I felt when Iraqi or Iranian patients would tell me I made baklava like they remember from home. Maybe it is a female thing...I don't know...but food is way to express a lot more than calories.

Hi @long trails
Ok, I went a bit far with my "why" questions... You're right, of course most people don't travel just for food. I don't either, and so don't assume everyone does. And you're even more right, there is more to life and travel than just eating. :)
But the OP and my post were about the same specific topic: food when traveling. I answered this topic "im-very-ho" (meaning anyone can respectfully disagree) and yes, I'm honestly serious (a light kind of "serious": life shouldn't be taken so seriously!)

So, I'm puzzled about how one can chose to travel long journeys and state than going local is ok for a weekend or a week but not for more. I'm also puzzled about how one can travel a long journey and not "go local".
Food isn't everything, but we do eat several times a day and so it's a big practical part of any travel. In a deeper (personal) perspective, traveling is to immerse oneself in a country's way of life... food included. It's just part of it: a pork-addict will have an hard time in Arabic countries, a vegan in nearly every country. Different eating habits are something to accept when traveling. This plus the personal view in which I also consider self-cooked meals as "local", because one has to buy local stuffs to make them and because they always somehow have a taste of the place you're eating it from. Family dinners, groceries stores and markets are such a specific reflection of a country's eating habits! And there is so much more to eating habits than just food!
I don't mean to say everything is good, attractive or that one has to try everything and eat traditional menus all the time. There are things I wouldn't want to try, other I just can't eat without getting sick ; I've been tired of national traditional menus and I've missed my own national specialties. Eating when traveling can be a need difficult to deal with... But I've always found enough diversity to eat well and be happy.
But again, I'm puzzled about the statement that Spanish food isn't diverse enough. Apart from the Menu del peregrino, there are large and diverse possible choices to pick from... and they're usually tastier!
On a lighter tone, I'm also puzzled about going to Burger King when saying there are too much drowned-in-oil food... ;)

All that said, I'm still interested to know of ways not to eat local food on a long journey...
(truly!)

Thanks moderators,
Buen Camino to all and Bon appétit!

full

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As it has been said in previous posts there isn´t a Spanish cuisine but different regional cuisines. Comparing similar regions like Asturias and Galicia I could mention several different dishes for both regions.
When I did my Primitivo I entretained myself following the presence in vegetable gardens of the two types of berza Asturian and Galician.
From Oviedo to Salas I only saw the Asturian type. From Tineo to Pola de Allande both types coexisted and finally from Fonsagrada and beyond only the Galician type existed. I also checked the evolution of the Pote Asturiano (with asturian berza) to Caldo Gallego ( with Galician berza)
Yes food can be an entertaiment appart from eating it :)

something has been puzzling me about the references to regional Spanish cuisine as something unexpected...maybe I am just too much in love with food and its preparation (or the military has dragged me though too many places), but really doesn't every country vary its cooking by the region...even with all of our round-the-world transportation of food, isn't there a core regional specialty based in part on what was available before the airplane, deep freeze, and highways, and in part on the heritage of the people? I know in the states Californian food (with so many fresh local fruits, veggies, and fish, and the Spanish and Asian influence, varies greatly from the deep South, from the midwest, from the northeast. I found regional food differences in my travels in pretty much every European (most of them), Asian (half of them), African (a few of them) and Southwest Asian ( many of them) country I visited.Expecting all of Spain's food to be similar would be like expecting to find the same local foods (outside of McDonalds) in New Hampshire as Oklahoma as Georgia as California. As a Californian living in the deep south for four years, I can tell you regional tastes are definitely different. grits comes immediately to mind :eek:.Or name your country and its regions. Spain is not unique in its differences, just more enjoyable (as other countries are) for them.

I find mine work best when I pre-cook and dry mash the potatoes, then stir the cool/cold mash into the egg mix. Cheating maybe but it looks good and tastes right! A post walk lunch here at home
oh great tip,i will be trying that out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok, I went a bit far with my "why" questions... You're right, of course most people don't travel just for food. I don't either, and so don't assume everyone does. And you're even more right, there is more to life and travel than just eating. :)
But the OP and my post were about the same specific topic: food when traveling. I answered this topic "im-very-ho" (meaning anyone can respectfully disagree) and yes, I'm honestly serious (a light kind of "serious": life shouldn't be taken so seriously!)

So, I'm puzzled about how one can chose to travel long journeys and state than going local is ok for a weekend or a week but not for more. I'm also puzzled about how one can travel a long journey and not "go local".
Food isn't everything, but we do eat several times a day and so it's a big practical part of any travel. In a deeper (personal) perspective, traveling is to immerse oneself in a country's way of life... food included. It's just part of it: a pork-addict will have an hard time in Arabic countries, a vegan in nearly every country. Different eating habits are something to accept when traveling. This plus the personal view in which I also consider self-cooked meals as "local", because one has to buy local stuffs to make them and because they always somehow have a taste of the place you're eating it from. Family dinners, groceries stores and markets are such a specific reflection of a country's eating habits! And there is so much more to eating habits than just food!
I don't mean to say everything is good, attractive or that one has to try everything and eat traditional menus all the time. There are things I wouldn't want to try, other I just can't eat without getting sick ; I've been tired of national traditional menus and I've missed my own national specialties. Eating when traveling can be a need difficult to deal with... But I've always found enough diversity to eat well and be happy.
But again, I'm puzzled about the statement that Spanish food isn't diverse enough. Apart from the Menu del peregrino, there are large and diverse possible choices to pick from... and they're usually tastier!
On a lighter tone, I'm also puzzled about going to Burger King when saying there are too much drowned-in-oil food... ;)

BK burgers are actually grilled and not dripping in oil. I don't eat fries because I have a medical issue where I have to avoid fried food as much as possible.

This is partly why I struggled so much with the food on the Camino. The Spanish love to drown their food in oil. I also don't like seafood too much, unless it's grilled fish. Spanish cured sausage and meats are not my thing either, apart from potentially being bad for you.

Of course I ate local food but I was restricted to stuff like tortilla, bread, salads. This was fine, food is ultimately about getting enough calories, that's not a problem on the Camino.

The food available in the smaller towns was not diverse enough FOR ME, probably due to the fact I am not a fan of Spanish food in general (for the reasons I have mentioned above). Finding international food e.g. anything from Asia, was impossible, which has not been my experience in many other parts of the world.

I still had an awesome cultural experience on the Camino. People should not judge others' experiences based on what they think is important.

Remember and respect that we are all different.

I got tired of pilgrim menus early on.. not only were they boring, they were expensive! Better to order ala carte specials of the house, soup, stew, or fill up on tapas/pinxtos. And sometimes hang around the albergue kitchen and get in on the international left-overs.

I got tired of pilgrim menus early on.. not only were they boring, they were expensive! Better to order ala carte specials of the house, soup, stew, or fill up on tapas/pinxtos. And sometimes hang around the albergue kitchen and get in on the international left-overs.
I found it much more cost effective to get the pilgrims menu - especially with the included beverage. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I suppose it depends on what is offered on the pilgrims menu, what is on the menu del dia, how hungry I am, and what the local specialty is...sometimes an entree and drink was less (since I don't drink wine, and usually was charged for juice or a soft drink); sometimes I wasn't up to a big meal, or didn't like my choices, or really wanted to try the local specialty but it wasn't on a prix fixe menu...but usually I was very happy with either the menu del dia, menu del perigrino, or entree of choice.:) certainly I was always satisfied...I can't recall a time I left thinking 'that was a bad meal.'

Another 'problem' with pilgrim menu is that they sometimes give you a whole bottle of wine, even if you dine alone!

I like wine too much to leave it and an weak willed (yes my problem haha).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks! I actually read this very recipe a week or so ago...I live next door to my sister and her husband, and cook meals for us twice a week...I told them I wanted to make this...they said they would order pizza:(
actually, after I mentioned beating it on a rock, then "scaring" it with boiling water, my sister said she would report me to PETA. wine may have been involved in the discussion by this point....
oh well, more for me...next week a trip to the pier in search of pulpo:)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.