• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

food options at roncevalles

Frankiepankie

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to walk 2018
Hi, can anyone give advice on food options at roncevalles. Im unsure wether to book the albergue with dinner included or dinner only and then go somewhere else to eat...im veggie and I've heard its fish at the albergue?

what are my other options? Ive read lots of threads but I'm going in circles!

thanks in advance!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't know about vegetarian meals...but I had the pilgrim dinner (with fish) in the basement of La Posada...buy tickets in advance...buffet breakfast (good selection of choose your own food) at Rural Hotel Roncesvalles...and for a snack...a beer and omelette sandwich at the La Posada outdoor café.

I don't know what options you get, it wasn't fish when we are there. I don't actually remember much about the meal itself, but our dining companions were excellent.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I remember fish and wine. Not many eating options there.

They offer two plates for dinner. One is fish and the other is usually pasta.
But you will have other options there. There are a couple of restaurants where you can eat. I would just STRONGLY suggest you do so early. You also could take a taxi to Burguette or you could carry some food with you from SJPP and picnic. There also is a market in Burguette.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
http://casasabina.roncesvalles.es/?lang=en
Casa Sabina has the best food. They have vegetarian options in the restaurant. If you want the pilgrim meal which is served in the dining room at set times with other pilgrims be sure to buy a ticket ahead it fills up fast. I am vegetarian and often get two firsts. Be aware that most salads come with tuna on them but you can request no atun.

I don't know what options you get, it wasn't fish when we are there. .

I had fish in the monastery turned albergue in April 2017! The fish was fresh, seem-liked just out of the water, and grilled to perfection.

I believe the albergue had 2 to 3 restaurants at the time, each restaurant might have its own menu.

I was at Hotel Rocesvalles last night. 18 euros gets you 3 courses plus bread and wine. I enjoyed a large bowl of asparagus cream (soup) plus a second generous entree for my main of goats cheese salad. Also had mushroom rissoto on offer but sold out. Dessert had several options but we were too full. Currently staying at el palo de avellano. Veg soup then salad then meat or fish. Lovely hospilaro has offered to serve a vegie burger or omlette. Followed by dessert and obligatory bread and wine for 13 euros.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would seem to get to Roncesvalles later then most. Being too tired to look around for food I would bring a bocadillo from Orrison. Then I would leave early the next morning. There is a tienda/market not far from the start where I picked up an orange and a few snacks for the days walk. I didn't eat very many pilgrims meals. Shopped at the markets and cooked in the alburgues when I could.

Burguete is only about 3 km's away...flat and level ground. An easy walk. It is a lovely town and a nice alternative to staying in Roncesvalles. Plus the next morning you are ahead of the pilgrim herd.
I stop and take a break in Roncesvalles, drink a cold beer there and walk the short distance to Burguete.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I follow a vegetarian gluten free diet. Within the past 12 months I have eaten at both la Posada and Casa sabina. Out of the two I would highly recommend Casa Sabina. They went out of their way to cater for me. If it is a busy time that you are walking, it could be a good idea to get to the dinner early and explain your dietary needs.
Or if you arrive early enough, consider having an early dinner there as they have quite a few vegetarian options on their menu.
Buen Camino

http://casasabina.roncesvalles.es/?lang=en
Casa Sabina has the best food. They have vegetarian options in the restaurant. If you want the pilgrim meal which is served in the dining room at set times with other pilgrims be sure to buy a ticket ahead it fills up fast. I am vegetarian and often get two firsts. Be aware that most salads come with tuna on them but you can request no atun.

Hey, thanks for your advice!

I just wanted to clarify- would i need to go to casa sabina separately to get a meal ticket? or if i booked roncevalles albergue with meal included, that would include casa sabina?

Hey, thanks for your advice!

I just wanted to clarify- would i need to go to casa sabina separately to get a meal ticket? or if i booked roncevalles albergue with meal included, that would include casa sabina?
Am following post, by buying a ticket ahead, does that mean before setting off from Orisson or SJPDP?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We bought the ticket for the meal at the same time as we registered at the Monastery albergue. We didnt book ahead.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back