• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food - photos from the Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It was in Santiago on the 24th July this year, I had been there since the morning of the 22nd and the Camino family I was in had arrived with were on the same timetable flying out on the 25th or 26th. In my previous visits I had been quite sensible( for me)with my consumption of liquids but this time I can no longer say that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ahhh Pittsburgh style...fries or chips on the sammie or bacadillo!
Is that mayonnaise on the side of the plate? Isn't that a Belgian thing? Here in Belfast it's pungent brown sauce, or curry sauce, on chips.

Took me a couple of weeks to get over the withdrawal symptoms of this: DSC03905.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Late last October on a rainy, cold Sunday after walking from Los Arcos I arrived soaked mid afternoon at the Viana municipal albergue. After getting a bottom bunk (recently the old 3 tier system which resembled a WW2 troop ship was replaced with the more common 2 tiers) I sought a late lunch as rain poured down.

Thus resembling a drenched 'wicked witch of the west' I quickly entered the closest open spot, the dining room of the 3 star Palacio Pujadas Hotel!! Although my boots were covered in mud I was treated most royally; the copious food served on white linen was truly delicious and the price of 13 euros for 3 courses, wine and coffee most reasonable. Happily I dripped-dry eating Cuban rice with poached egg and fresh tomato sauce, cod with sauted vegetables and a wonderful hot chocolate mousse. Do try it.

Last edited:
IMG_6117.JPG

Although I did eat at cafes most days, about once each week I ate picnic style and the change did add greatly to the enjoyment, fresh bread, butter, sardines and choccie biscuits, all the essentials ticked off. :)

Maragato for one at Murias de Rechivaldo I needed the assistance of a German girl who had permission from her boyfriend to put on 5 kilos during her walk! She had already ate her meal! She was eating two breakfasts, two lunches and a dinner every day! When I saw her she had a very nice slim body but I wonder what she would be like in SDC? I for the love of me could not understand why she wanted to be heavier, not an urge I have ever felt.

20140829_185912.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The day I left Triacastela to go via Samos to Sarria, for a couple of reasons I didn't get breakfast/lunch. By 2pm I was ravenous (and also very thirsty.) I walked by the most beautiful back country route from Samos, and finally re-emerged back onto the route for Sarria. Soon after I came across a very friendly cafe. There was an elderly lady there who went out and cooked me this wonderful omelet, served hot, and with much kindness. It was sort of like being one of the family, and being served up a home-cooked meal. I tell you, it was one of the most delicious meals I had on the whole Camino!
Margaretomelet.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another "I was hungry" moment. I was about an hour past the Santiago airport- and came across a bar. It was the day of the week they 'weren't cooking', so I just ordered a drink of some kind. I was delighted, when quite unexpectedly it was served up with this soup kind of tapas. Absolutely delicious- and just what I needed to give me energy to get to Monte de Gozo for the day.
Margaret
IMG_0002.jpg

for starters ...
  • vinho verde and the most delish pastry ...
  • followed by the farmstead goodies provide by El Manuel somewhere in Galicia ... was truly protein famished and sooo happy to sit down and have a very yummy impromptu meal and fab albarinho vino. best ever :)
  • and Pulpo in... hmmm ...forgot where. Padron?
  • and pensao "room prepped dinner" w/ my favorite teutonic turbo team (off picture, except for a fetching knee ;-) with lots of tomato, rabacal cheese, vinho verde, jamon, olive oil (in a glass bottle), bread, onions etc. i was STUNNED about what they all retrieved from their backpacks :) missed them immensely after we split ....
bom caminho ...

IMG_1072.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
How much does a bottle like that cost? Do they cork it or are you able to take it along & open it at a later time? Or possibly send home?
Hi - that was the house wine served with dinner, pretty much as many bottles as we all wanted I recall, and very good. The dinner was probably 12 euro maybe, give or take a couple, and was also good. I would definitely recommend staying there. The dining room is a very neat round building separate from the main albergue. I was trying to upload a short video of festivities after dinner, but parts of our computer crashed recently so I need to get it off of my phone again (thankfully I kept most of my pictures there,too). I'll post it later if I can - Cherry

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The group of five older ladies sitting together having a drink or coffee in the plaza are my Michelin star guide. It works in any town. The last time I asked for their suggestions for a good place to get a meat meal (my friend the carnivore had been fed fish for days - we're on the Norte). At their suggestion we went to Tierre Astur and this is what we had:
image.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
image.jpg
Portuguese custard tarts. Irresistible,

The group of five older ladies sitting together having a drink or coffee in the plaza are my Michelin star guide. It works in any town. The last time I asked for their suggestions for a good place to get a meat meal (my friend the carnivore had been fed fish for days - we're on the Norte). At their suggestion we went to Tierre Astur and this is what we had:
View attachment 19054

Kanga, did you have a platter each? :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So how about elBuli? Consistently Michelin 3 starred restaurant considered by many food writers and chefs the best restaurant in the world and Ferran Aria, the head chef, a genius. Customers came from all over the world specifically to eat there, and had to make a reservation over 12 months in advance. Sadly it closed in 2011.

Don't expect good cooking if you eat the Pilgrim Menu at 6 or 7 pm, when no Spaniard would dream of eating and which is dished up as cheaply as possible. If you are paying peanuts you often get peanuts.
At about £1500 per head. Go there by boat. The road is scenic but rough. Yes been closed a while.

I've just been sorting through Camino photos and I seem to have a lot of peculiar meals View attachment 9403photographed. Anyone else?
Here's one from our Camino starting at Orleans. It is a whole Camembert, cooked, with chips on the side. The calories!!!!
I've just been sorting through Camino photos and I seem to have a lot of peculiar meals View attachment 9403photographed. Anyone else?
Here's one from our Camino starting at Orleans. It is a whole Camembert, cooked, with chips on the side. The calories!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1071.JPG
    IMG_1071.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Kanga... yes, some of the meals were interesting. My camino mate opted for the daily special one day... I think it was tripe. ....... I ordered something else lol

I'm curious how you are adding photos? When I click on the camera icon, it asks me for an image url, which seems to say it wants a photo already posted on the internet.

Help?

I'm curious how you are adding photos? When I click on the camera icon, it asks me for an image url, which seems to say it wants a photo already posted on the internet.

Help?
I don't use the camera icon. I go to "Upload a File" (below) then 'Choose a File'. You then select your photo from one already in your system. I'm no techie, but that works for me.

Look forward to seeing some of your pics. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think it was tripe. ....... I ordered something else lol
I would have ordered something else too!

In Hospital de Órbego, we ordered as a first course something called 'sopa de pan' [bread soup]. It was a broth with thick chunks of bread, much like we would add dumplings to a soup. It was delicious!

I'd forgotten about this one. View attachment 11055
WHAT??? STOP IT!!! I gained two pounds only looking at the pictures! Gaaaah! Now I need to go out for my night walk. When I am on Camino I can eat like that, but I'm in training, people! I*cannot*look* .... well, maybe just one more photo.

For shame! ;) Were you cooking for yourself? :rolleyes:

My walking companion declared that she was not going to cook at all while on our Camino junket. Aside from little picnics we had on the path with groceries we bought, we ate all our meals in bars and restaurants, and had many wonderful meals. I don't eat meat, but the seafood was great, and the salads superb.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I cannot imagine what you were eating whilst you were in Spain, or what your past culinary experiences have been, to have come up with an opinion like that!

My gast is totally flabbered!
My gast is flabbered too! Perhaps some pilgrims are disappointed that franchises are not lining the Way.

Salade Perigord from the Vezelay route. Goose gizards, duck breast, confit of duck leg, foie gras, etc.

vez8.JPG

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My Idea of a perfect Camino Stop......charlie-hankin-captionless-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

Attachments

• charlie-hankin-captionless-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg
    charlie-hankin-captionless-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 2

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.