• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food: Pinchos

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I just thought I would post this link to a blog that is focused on different types of "Pinchos".

So what is pinchos? It is like tapas, small dishes that you can order yourself (several are needed if you are hungry, since they are quite small) or you many times you will get one when ordering a drink at bars.

One note on that, if you order a cafe con leche in Spain, most likely you will not get a pincho for free. But if you order a soda (Coca Cola or other) you many times will be served a pincho (tapa) for free with your drink. So many times when I am in Santiago, and feel a bit hungry.... I order a coke... knowing that I will also get a pincho.... :)

Anyway, for many pictures of different pinchos, have a look here:
http://www.blogoteca.com/depinchos/index.php

...also, for more on Galician gastronomy, have a look here:
http://www.galiciagastronomica.com/

... by now you probably have understood that it is getting close to dinner time... :) ... I am getting hungry.

Saludos,
Ivar

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pincho

Thank you for that info on Pinchos Ivar. I love Spanish food.
Last year I wrote an article for a local Food magazine on Ferran Adria who owns the El Bulli restaurant in Spain and who was voted Best Chef in the World in 2006. (He was No.2 in 2005, No. 3 in 2004, No.2 in 2003 and No.1 in 2002.) Spain had 3 chefs in the Top 10 last year (and the number 11 was also Spanish).
El Bulli is only open for 6 months of the year and there is a 2 year waiting list to have a meal there! They receive a million reservation requests annually but can only accommodate up to 8 000 diners each summer. Adria spends the other six months of the year in his laboratory workshop in Barcelona, concocting extraordinary combinations of foods using scientific approaches to preparation, texture, temperature and taste.
The degustation menu - about 30 small dishes menu of about 30 dishes -
costs $265 per person.
Most of us have to settle for the pincho or tapas in the many bars in Spain and just dream about a meal at El Bulli on the Costa Brava coast.

Ivar,
You brought back many wonderful memories, my favorite is a small bar across the street from the city office building in Samos. The best! empemadas that weren't greasy, and batter fried mushrooms. I have a question about tipping in bars and restaurants along the camino. Several times when I tipped the waiters seemed really surprised and most grateful. Is the norm here different from elsewhere in the world. John

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I ate out every night on the vdlp and it never occurred to me to tip-although we usually rounded up the bill for convenience.It seems to be virtually compulsory in the us but not neccesarily so elsewhere-here in australia a tip may be left in a restaurant but nobody tips in cafes or bars. The difference seems to be that waiting staff are paid a relatively decent wage. The weirdest thing I saw was in Hawaii where breakfast diners were leaving tips even though it was a self service buffet.
There's nothing wrong with tipping for good service-I must remember next time I'm in Spain!

All the guide books I've read state that tipping is not a standard practice in Spain, so waiters will look a bit surprised if you've left a substantial tip. Any small coins I received in change I left on the bar, but tipping is certainly not expected.

Normally tipping is not done, unless you receive exceptional service. But nothing is expected...

Now you know whey Americans are so popular amongst bars and restaurants in Spain :)

By the way, I burnt myself in the reverse situation in New York a while back. I left almost no tip at a restaurant, not thinking (and used to the Spanish system)... the manager of the restaurant came out to ask what was wrong... I was almost "forced" to tip. I admit, it was my fault I had forgotten that many waiters in the US earn most of their salary from tip. But still... :?

Un saludo,
Ivar

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My best "meal" on the Camino was a breakfast I have on a rainy morning right after "climbing" the Alto Do Poio in Lugo. The bar is on the right side of the Camino. Great toast and huge cup of coffee...

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back